PDA

View Full Version : buying gear upon arrival in the US, or overseas before departure?

cymru
09-11-2012, 15:57
The husband and I are looking to invest in some new gear for our 2013 AT hike and we're trying to decide if it's better to buy things before we leave, or spend a few days/a week shopping after we arrive in the States.

I'm thinking that it will be easier to replace potentially defective items if I get them from REI.

He thinks that if we buy name brand items here then it will be just as easy to get them replaced in the US.

Would love to hear others' thoughts on this.
Would also love to know how well-stocked the REIs around Atlanta are, and is one better than another?
Any other shop recommendations would be appreciated as well.

IrishBASTARD
09-11-2012, 16:02
Would go with you're idea. The concern would be shipping costs and weight time...after ordering from the UK for replacement. Therefore you're right in suggesting REI now instead of waiting for items later.

colorado_rob
09-11-2012, 16:15
given your favorable exchange rate, won't you be better off buying in the states? Let us know what gear in particular you're looking for; that makes a difference. REI is a great store, but they do not carry some of the very best stuff. You can always shop online and do a "store pickup" in an Atlanta store. Just some thoughts, and I hope to see you on the trail next spring!

cymru
09-12-2012, 04:21
Thanks, I hadn't considered the store pickup option. As we only have six months it would help us minimise the time spent faffing about.

Most of our hiking gear didn't make it out of New Zealand with much life left in it. I haven't done a full inventory yet (everything's in the attic crawl space which involves unscrewing pieces of the wall to get at it)

The biggest things we'll need are a new rucksack, sleeping bags, a pair of hiking shoes and a new stove. And a new tent, as I think we'd be laughed off the trail with our 7 lb tent...

Will need some new clothes as well, but with the sales on now and the January sales I think that'll be easy enough to sort out here.

chiefduffy
09-12-2012, 05:24
Unless you know exactly what you want, you might be better off buying hiking shoes where you are now and getting your feet used to them. This always seems to be a long, trial-and-error process for me, and I wouldn't want to wait until the last minute...

OzJacko
09-12-2012, 06:28
Hi Cymru
Whilst a bit different than the UK I have the same sort of issues as you coming from Oz.
As suggested above, it depends on what you're getting. It's all personal decisions and I am not trying to influence what you buy but I'll try and give some hints from what I've learnt.
Backpack - I have ULA Circuit and will be getting a Catalyst (2 of us by the way- my son). These you would need to buy direct from supplier (small business). Go-Lite are a good manufacturer you can get from REI and they have a few others as well.
Tent - we have one Henry Shires Tarptent and will be getting a second before we leave. Big Agnes make some good lightweight ones that REI stock. Six Moons Designs also make good lightweight ones you would need to buy first probably.
Sleeping bags - I think you would be best buying sleeping gear (bags and mats) in the UK as I believe it is the most important part of being comfortable and the UK have excellent quality ones. Ditto rain gear (you do have a lot of rain to test them).
Shoes - I would ensure that if you buy in UK that identical ones can be purchased in USA as you will probably need replacements. If buying in USA ensure TIME spent on getting correct fit.

Good luck and looking forward to crossing paths.

peakbagger
09-12-2012, 07:47
ULA used to supply Mount Rogers Outfitters in Damascus and possibly Mountain Crossings it may be worth checking. Worst case is you could order the stuff and have it drop shipped to the folks who run the hostel at the beginning of the AT (they also supply shuttles). Mountain Crossings isnt too far away from Springer so you also may be able to work out a visit. One other possibility is start out with your old gear and use it for three days then stop at Mountain Crossings (the trail goes through one of their buildings)and replace gear as needed. They are famous for re-outfitting hikers who started out with the wrong gear. I expect they could dispose of your old gear. As for shoes, I would buy what works for you before you come over especially if you have an odd size. Sure you can try multiple pairs at a shop in the US but sometimes it takes a few days to really see how a shoe fits. Even thouhg modern boots require less break in time, they really need to be comfortable before starting up the approach trail.

I expect you are aware that depending on your start time, the gear required for the first month or so of the trail (Springer to Damascus) is usually set up for potentially cold snowy weather, many folks switch their gear over to lighter weigth warmer weather gear once they make Damascus as the weahter is warming up and the ridgelines are a more hospitable (although the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Shenadoah National Park can still be a bit cold in early April.

English Stu
09-12-2012, 12:22
Hi Cymru, I am in the UK and done half the AT in three sections.You will drool over gear in the outfitters in the US. I have nearly all US gear, certainly my pack, tarptent, sleeping bag, so I would resist buying stuff in the UK apart from maybe the shoes as you want be sure of them; but again I continue to wear Vasque approach shoes (now from Spain!) as I bought my first pair in the US.It is a leap of faith to travel with little gear but you will save so much.
Peakbagger has good advice Mountain Crossings is only a few days hike out of Springer and has he says you could get gear shipped to your hostel, start hotel even a post office. I did do this with a Tarptent. Main US outfitters are used to sending gear. A telephone call to Mountain Crossings would be helpful for advice on this issue.I read they relieve hikers of over 20 tons of gear each year as hikers find they have the wrong gear for a thruhike. I guess there is an REI in Atlanta, get to their website and see how much gear is suitable. Gear is so much cheaper in the US for various reasons mostly taxes.
Go light and enjoy your hike it will change your life in a good way.

English Stu
09-12-2012, 12:26
I should have mentioned on two occasions I have had sent US gear sent to the UK and then within a few weeks proceeded to take it back to the US.Doh!

Monkeywrench
09-12-2012, 14:32
There is an REI somewhere in reasonable proximity to the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega. If you wanted to buy gear from REI you could order it through the website and have it delivered to the store so it would be waiting your arrival to pick it up. Not everything REI sells is available in every store, so pre-ordering would avoid any disappointments. You could also have gear from any mail-order outfitter shipped to the Hiker Hostel so it would be waiting for you when you arrive. Obviously, you should contact Josh & Leigh before doing this. They'll also make the start of your hike easy and pleasant. If you fly into Atlanta you can take the MARTA train from the airport north through Atlanta and they will pick you up at the train, take you to REI if that's where you need to go, and on to the hostel for a night or two wile you get your gear straightened out. Then they'll drop you at the trail to start your hike. Find them at http://www.hikerhostel.com.

Feral Bill
09-12-2012, 15:03
One thing you should get here is your stove. Transporting used stoves (especially petrol burners) on airlines is problematic at best.

colorado_rob
09-12-2012, 15:15
One thing you should get here is your stove. Transporting used stoves (especially petrol burners) on airlines is problematic at best. With due respect, and though what you say is common beta, I have never found this to be so in about a dozen international climbing trips (and about the same number of domestic trips), packing my trusty Wisperlite. You just have to know how to pack it. So, I would say to the OP: if you really like your current stove and do NOT want to just buy one here, simply clean the stove very well, air it out thoroughly, triple-zip-lock-bag it, then bury it well in your checked bags. If there are multiple pieces to your stove, break it down and do this with separate parts. Never been a problem with myself or any others I have traveled with.

cymru
09-12-2012, 16:44
Thanks for all the advice, ordering things in advance definitely sounds the most manageable.

And, while I've never had a problem travelling with my stove in checked luggage, I quite fancy an excuse for an upgrade.

Rasty
09-12-2012, 19:48
Mt. Rogers has ULA circuits in stock.

Montana AT05
09-12-2012, 19:57
I recommend either buying on site here, or buying items in advance from a US store and picking them up or shipping the items to somewhere like a hostel at the start of the trail, etc.

Not sure of prices in England, but the prices I saw in New Zealand were insane. $600 for a tent, $300 for boots...omg...did someone swim those items to market from China to NZ?

Also, if you plan to do the entire AT, you'll find there is no shortage of outfitters along the way--not to mention the drop shipment options from large to small stores (i've purchased online and had them drop shipped to a post office up trail).

Happy trails.

Drybones
09-12-2012, 20:11
Hi Cymru
Whilst a bit different than the UK I have the same sort of issues as you coming from Oz.
As suggested above, it depends on what you're getting. It's all personal decisions and I am not trying to influence what you buy but I'll try and give some hints from what I've learnt.
Backpack - I have ULA Circuit and will be getting a Catalyst (2 of us by the way- my son). These you would need to buy direct from supplier (small business). Go-Lite are a good manufacturer you can get from REI and they have a few others as well.
Tent - we have one Henry Shires Tarptent and will be getting a second before we leave. Big Agnes make some good lightweight ones that REI stock. Six Moons Designs also make good lightweight ones you would need to buy first probably.
Sleeping bags - I think you would be best buying sleeping gear (bags and mats) in the UK as I believe it is the most important part of being comfortable and the UK have excellent quality ones. Ditto rain gear (you do have a lot of rain to test them).
Shoes - I would ensure that if you buy in UK that identical ones can be purchased in USA as you will probably need replacements. If buying in USA ensure TIME spent on getting correct fit.

Good luck and looking forward to crossing paths.

+1....all good advice.

cymru
09-13-2012, 13:46
We outfitted ourselves in New Zealand as well.... never thought I'd find somewhere more expensive than Tokyo or London... But I found that it was really good quality. Except for the hiking boots, I went through two different pairs and both were coming apart after a few hikes.

-SEEKER-
09-13-2012, 13:52
Unless you know exactly what you want, you might be better off buying hiking shoes where you are now and getting your feet used to them. This always seems to be a long, trial-and-error process for me, and I wouldn't want to wait until the last minute...

I strongly agree with this point.

peakbagger
09-14-2012, 07:28
There is a good chance you will be "converted" to a alcohol stove made out of a beverage can. I expect many conventional stoves get sent home within a couple of weeks due to this phenomenah.

turtle fast
09-16-2012, 02:31
Another vote for buying in the US and have it shipped it to your hostel before your journey. The REI in north Atlanta is where the A.T. Hiker Hostel does a pick up to take you to Dahlonega, Georgia before your hike. We had hiked with a Brit in 08' and he just bought his boots (already worn in), some clothes and a few toiletries with him and had the rest shipped to the hostel and he said he saved a lot versus buying his gear in the UK.

OzJacko
09-16-2012, 03:46
Another vote for buying in the US and have it shipped it to your hostel before your journey. The REI in north Atlanta is where the A.T. Hiker Hostel does a pick up to take you to Dahlonega, Georgia before your hike. We had hiked with a Brit in 08' and he just bought his boots (already worn in), some clothes and a few toiletries with him and had the rest shipped to the hostel and he said he saved a lot versus buying his gear in the UK.
This is all good advice and informative. I think the consensus of all our entries is that aside from shoes buy where the price and quality suits your needs.
I am definitely going to the REI in Atlanta before the hostel but I don't expect to buy much - already have the backpacks and tents. I have my sleeping bag and my son will be getting his either shipped to Australia or ordered in to the store there (has decided on an REI bag).
But shoes (and importantly socks - don't forget socks) are so important and all our feet are so different you really have to be sure of your choice. You won't get to Katahdin on your hands.
Good luck and see you in 2013.

OzJacko
09-16-2012, 03:47
Oh and I already have alcohol stove as well...:)

Wise Old Owl
09-16-2012, 09:17
Tent? what tent? ya don't need a tent!

handlebar
09-16-2012, 11:20
Tent? what tent? ya don't need a tent! ....but, you DO need a shelter of some kind, be it a hammock, tarp, tarptent or tent.

OzJacko
09-17-2012, 03:21
....but, you DO need a shelter of some kind, be it a hammock, tarp, tarptent or tent.
Not all of us can put together a home out of twigs and moss WOO!

sailsET
09-17-2012, 07:03
As we only have six months it would help us minimise the time spent faffing about.
That is the challenge, indeed, when preparing for a big trip. One can burn up a lot of time running here and there to stores, that could have been spent on the trip (trails or sails). I am readying for a big sailing trip, and have been challenged to avoid the last minute faffing about, by planning and purchasing early. Since my time off is at a premium, I want to spend as much of it as possible on the trip, and not dealing with last minute delays. In my case, time is more dear than cost - to a point, of course. I hope to strike that balance. Good luck to you!

OBTW - "faffing" has become my new favorite word! Thanks for that one. Sort of summarizes my life to date.

OzJacko
09-17-2012, 07:21
OBTW - "faffing" has become my new favorite word! Thanks for that one. Sort of summarizes my life to date.
It's even better when you hear a Welshman actually saying it........:D

BFI
09-17-2012, 17:54
I purchased about 90% of my hiking gear from REI and had it shipped to the Hiker Hostel. All the stuff I ordered was there, on time, and it made it a whole lot easier going through Customs without a stove or bags or food. REI was a great place to shop and the staff I talked to were knowledgeable.

colorado_rob
09-17-2012, 20:01
I purchased about 90% of my hiking gear from REI and had it shipped to the Hiker Hostel. All the stuff I ordered was there, on time, and it made it a whole lot easier going through Customs without a stove or bags or food. REI was a great place to shop and the staff I talked to were knowledgeable. just a thought on this (and I love REI myself for many reasons): If one of our international friends were flying into Atlanta anyway, would it not be better to simply have the order shipped to an Atlanta REI store (free, by the way) vs. a Hostel along the AT? That way you can simply visit that REI store itself, examine your order and make any adjustments right there real-time. This assumes you have the time (a few hours) and transportation to the REI store from the Atlanta airport. Not sure where the airport is in relation to the two REI stores... maybe this is difficult.

Just a thought. I'll be flying from Denver to Atlanta myself next April (NOBO, mid April start) and I'll make it a point to make an REI visit there, just for fun (I'll have all of my gear already).