PDA

View Full Version : my gearlist need advice?

Wasp
09-11-2012, 16:44
Hi,

thats my first timer Gearlist, pleas feel free to give me some advices if I miss something or overdo it.

thx for reeding!

Maddog
09-11-2012, 17:06
Translation, please? Maddog:D

Spokes
09-11-2012, 17:06
Wasp, that list is pretty hard for me to understand too......

So take a look at this tried and true gear list from Winton Porter and compare it against your stuff. Add a trash compactor bag for a pack liner. Gloves and fleece beanie are givens. It's a cold weather pack list so you can adjust it to go lighter in Summer. Just bounce your winter gear ahead using the Post Office.

Ignore the pop-up screen. http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

I'm also including a link to a 10 page article from Backpacker Magazine that has a good review of what to expect in each of the major sections of the Appalachian Trail you may find helpful.

Again ignore the popup:

http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530

Maddog
09-11-2012, 17:09
Wasp, that list is pretty hard for me to understand too......

So take a look at this tried and true gear list from Winton Porter and compare it against your stuff. Add a trash compactor bag for a pack liner. Gloves and fleece beanie are givens. It's a cold weather pack list so you can adjust it to go lighter in Summer. Just bounce your winter gear ahead using the Post Office.

Ignore the pop-up screen. http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

+1 Good job, Spokes! I always forget about Winton's gear list! Maddog:D

Spokes
09-11-2012, 17:15
Thanks Maddog. I consider it a great baseline and starting point for folks planning a thru hike. It kept me from wasting a lot of money. Sure you can go lighter. And that's why I also like the list 10-K posted recently for his Long Trail hike:

Here's that one:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?87295-Long-Trail-wrapup-report&p=1327664&viewfull=1#post1327664

Odd Man Out
09-11-2012, 20:00
Come on, this isn't that hard to understand. Click on the links and look at the pictures if you need to.

Rucksack = rucksack, Tarp tent moment = tarp tent moment, Therma rest Z lite = Thermarest Z lite, Gaskocher = gas cooker, Wasserflache = water flask, Underhosen = underwear, t-shirt = t shirt, Lange Underhosen = long underwear, hoody = hoody, jacke = jacket, poncho = poncho, hat = hat, socken = socks, lampe = lamp, kompass = compass, wasserfilter = water filter, first aid = first aid, dry sack = dry sack, preis (euro) = price (in euro), Gewicht (grams) = Weight (grams).

The buff and technostrach hat seem a little redundant. Also not sure you need two lampe. 250 euro for a water filter? - ouch! (have you seen the sawyer squeeze?).

Spokes
09-11-2012, 20:37
Eureka!!!!!!!

Wasp
09-12-2012, 13:28
Oookay, after Old Man Outīs post did you realy need an update with translation?

The buff and technostrach hat seem a little redundant. Also not sure you need two lampe. 250 euro for a water filter? - ouch! (have you seen the sawyer squeeze?).

The list was an first idea and I put all in what I think I need. So maybe there are some positions, where I canīt make a instant decision, so I have a few different headgear, two lamps...and so on. The final version should have only one lightsource...

It should be an list for spring to autum. I tried to combinate several, thiner layers to max out the combinations for colder or hotter days, with a try to save weight.

The waterfilter I choice got very good reviews and I wouldnīt scrimp on the wrong end of my gear. Bad water maybe kills the hike ;(

Feral Bill
09-12-2012, 15:12
I think I'm seeing a total of 20 Kg. You might want to shed some of that weight.

Wasp
09-12-2012, 15:34
Mhhh but how...thatīs are all so called Ultra light products!? I set the overall maximum weight to 20.0kg and the Backpack weight to 15.0kg. I carry (with food) "only" 12.8kg...with all my clothes (worn and carried) its 17.1kg. I find no position I can realy left at home? Maybe I sort it out on the trail...or in the next few month when I test the gearlist at autum/winter days!?

Feral Bill
09-12-2012, 15:44
Mhhh but how...thatīs are all so called Ultra light products!? I set the overall maximum weight to 20.0kg and the Backpack weight to 15.0kg. I carry (with food) "only" 12.8kg...with all my clothes (worn and carried) its 17.1kg. I find no position I can realy left at home? Maybe I sort it out on the trail...or in the next few month when I test the gearlist at autum/winter days!? I did not get that food was included. The clothes are a lot but you can sort that out as you go.

Wasp
09-12-2012, 15:48
*hehe* its may be my last civilisation complex to not rely on one pant for 2100miles :)

Odd Man Out
09-12-2012, 18:44
I did not get that food was included. The clothes are a lot but you can sort that out as you go.

Yes he has 5 days of food in item #37 (I'll admit I had to Google Translated that one). That might be a bit high
He also includes some gear that is carried (trekking poles, clothes worn), that some would not include in base weight.

There would be some room to trim weight. Your water bottle is 300 grams. Most people just carry a disposable plastic bottle of some kind.
Going with a lightweight filter like the sawyer not only saves a 100 euro, it also saves a few hundred grams in pack weight.
The way to really cut weight is to cut back on anything that could be considered optional, such as the umbrella.
But going ultralight isn't for everyone so it will be up to you to decide how light is light enough.
You do have a lot of first class gear.

RED-DOG
09-12-2012, 18:51
Yeah we need a translater for this one.

Spokes
09-12-2012, 18:53
Since we use ounces and pounds instead of grams in the U.S. his pack should weigh less once he gets here. No worries!