PDA

View Full Version : "Camel up" or go light?

jeramie75
09-11-2012, 16:58
Anyone know off water situation in this section? Also, is camping on Max patch legal?
Thanks.

RED-DOG
09-11-2012, 17:29
Camping on Max-Patch is not legal any more it used to be, until couple of years ago a bunch of college kids went up their and had a gigantic party, the water from Fontana Dam to Erwin is great, but you need to be more specific about which section. RED-DOG

jeramie75
09-11-2012, 20:54
Sorry. Specifically, from Standing Bear to Hot Springs.

RED-DOG
09-12-2012, 17:57
Yeah the water in that section is great mostly at the shelters but you will have a creek about 10 yards after the Max-Patch rd crossing and another a Quarter mile past Roaring fork, But yeah camping on Max-Patch is illegal but the Authorities don't check around their that much so you might be able to get away with it. have a great hike.

jakedatc
09-12-2012, 18:00
Also, isn't "cameling up" when you drink a bunch of water at the source so you can carry less.. and be lighter? (easy to remember.. camels don't have water bottles!) ;)

leaftye
09-12-2012, 19:04
Also, isn't "cameling up" when you drink a bunch of water at the source so you can carry less.. and be lighter? (easy to remember.. camels don't have water bottles!) ;)

That's exactly what it is. The only reasons I can think of for me not cameling up was either because I was trying to save time or was getting cold, which is kind of the same thing.

renais
09-12-2012, 19:42
When I was there this year, there were no prohibitions against camping posted at Max Patch. The 2012 Companion also does not mention any camping restrictions. There were a number of people camped at Max Patch when I was there. By camping just off the summit but still on the bald, you can avoid some of the winds. This was a beautiful place for both sunrise and sunset.