PDA

View Full Version : Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter and Gossamer Gear Evernew water bladder

Darwin13
09-11-2012, 19:10
I have been reading some old posts and I think I know the answer to this but i just want to make sure before i make a purchase. I hear the sawyer bags are pretty flimsy and easy to break or gain a leak so people have been switching them out for this Gossamer Gear Evernew Water bladder. Does this mean that they are using the bladder as the dirty bag, placing the squeeze filter onto it and then squeezing it into another bag? What is the actual set up? Also is the squeeze filter THRU HIKE approved by any of you guys?

Odd Man Out
09-11-2012, 19:33
I have been reading some old posts and I think I know the answer to this but i just want to make sure before i make a purchase. I hear the sawyer bags are pretty flimsy and easy to break or gain a leak so people have been switching them out for this Gossamer Gear Evernew Water bladder. Does this mean that they are using the bladder as the dirty bag, placing the squeeze filter onto it and then squeezing it into another bag? What is the actual set up? Also is the squeeze filter THRU HIKE approved by any of you guys?

This is exactly what has been reported, except that you can dispense water on the clean side into any container you want by any of three methods. To attach a bladder to the clean side you need some sort of adapter such as a Tornado Tube (modified) to attach male threads to male threads. The filter comes with a drinking spout which can be used to pour into any container (or drink from). REI sells a hose adapter to hook up to a bladder with a quick-connect or hose adapter. Attaching a bladder (with a Tornado Tube or hose) to the clean side allows you to back-flush the filter without having to carry a syringe (although I have not seen reported the weight difference between the tubing/adaptors and the syringe, so I can't say if there is much weight savings). Another reason to dispense to a bladder (by any of the three methods) is to have a back-up bladder to use on the dirty side in case the first one fails. Most people carry a couple of water bottles anyway so swapping one for an extra bladder doesn't add much/any extra weight. I have not used on a thru, but I am sure I have seen that reported with success. Also, the Evernew bottles are available from other sources besides GG, although there has been some supply problems with Evernew which seem to be improving.

jakedatc
09-11-2012, 19:59
Syringe weighs 33g so on a Thru hike I would bring it. I tried to backflush using the Tornado tube method and it leaked.. too much pressure. Syringe is super easy to flush with.. takes 1 min to do a few runs through and you're golden again. plus it can be multipurpose to use for wound irrigation or eye wash (gently)

Odd Man Out
09-11-2012, 20:06
Syringe weighs 33g so on a Thru hike I would bring it. I tried to backflush using the Tornado tube method and it leaked.. too much pressure. Syringe is super easy to flush with.. takes 1 min to do a few runs through and you're golden again. plus it can be multipurpose to use for wound irrigation or eye wash (gently)

Thanks jakedatc. I've been looking for that kind of data. Also, it comes with a big syringe. I would think a smaller one would work just as well (flush a couple of times extra) to save weight and space.

jakedatc
09-11-2012, 20:29
I tried a 2 Teaspoon syringe that was all i could find at the drug store and it did not work as well. The nozzle was too small so if you can find a smaller one with a similar nozzle opening then you're good to go.

Del Q
09-11-2012, 20:37
I am heading out for 10-12 days in VT / NH, got the Sawyer Squeeze and Evernew bottles. Looking forward to field-testing new (lighter) water filtration system.

Am going to leave the big syringe at home to use after my hike.............hopefully this will make it to my ever-growing "Good Gear" list.

jakedatc
09-11-2012, 20:43
for that amount of time you should be ok without backflushing. a dipping cup of some type for filling the evernew bottle is pretty necessary. it also keeps silt from being stirred up. VT sources tend to be fairly shallow, though some are piped near shelters.