PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 In memoriam

Wise Old Owl
09-11-2012, 21:08
How could we not think tonight about a gathering from all over the world about 9/11. Yes to avoid our feelings and well I waited till 9pm to see if anyone would do the same and I guess I am the minority here - I cannot help but think for a moment about the tragedy of folks that were there.

Take a moment to celebrate life and the glory of being alive, and understand what really is important to you personally and why emotionally a tragedy is an opportunity can be beautiful to your life. Feel free to post your thoughts... How could you not in in this moment of time as a public gathering on WB not to understand that this is a moment in time for eternity?

Lets celebrate the life we have and share a story of 9/11 In memorial no matter what is frivolous or where you were in the moment.

T-Rx
09-11-2012, 21:18
Great post WOO. My work team and I started our day today with a couple minutes of silent prayer in honor of those victims of 9/11 and their families and loved ones left behind. Also those brave firefighters, policemen and other persons who lost their lives that day trying to save the lives of others. We are so blessed in this country despite the problems we face and we all need to give thanks each day. It's great to be alive and well. Thank God.

Lone Wolf
09-11-2012, 21:19
How could we not think tonight about a gathering from all over the world about 9/11. Yes to avoid our feelings and well I waited till 9pm to see if anyone would do the same and I guess I am the minority here - I cannot help but think for a moment about the tragedy of folks that were there.

.i posted this morning in the non-AT forum. folks have forgotten. i've been watching the History channel for 11 hours now

Wise Old Owl
09-11-2012, 21:23
Well LW - that's sad to hear... I searched several ways and did not discover or see your thread starter. My sincere apologies.

hikerboy57
09-11-2012, 21:28
My friend rudy is from the phillipines.he lost his wife,marie when tower one fell.when rudy recieved his share of the 9/11 fund.he took the money and build a low income housing settlement in the Philippines. the street was named after his wife Marie Abad..

T-Rx
09-11-2012, 21:29
i posted this morning in the non-AT forum. folks have forgotten. i've been watching the History channel for 11 hours now

I hope you are wrong LW and people have not forgotten that senseless attack on innocent civilian life. The price of freedom is not free.

Rasty
09-11-2012, 21:30
i posted this morning in the non-AT forum. folks have forgotten. i've been watching the History channel for 11 hours now

I hope you are wrong LW and people have not forgotten that senseless attack on innocent civilian life. The price of freedom is not free.

Many have forgotten.

hikerboy57
09-11-2012, 21:42
that morning I was on the train into Manhattan.i took the 8:51 out of Long Beach. the sky was crystal clear that morning and we had a clear view of the Manhattan skyline. there was a black smudge of smoke over the towers and we still had not learned what had happened when the second plane flew into the tower. the few minutes later cellphones begin ringing and we found out what happened. the train made it to Valley Stream before they shut down service. I was able to get a cab back to Long Beach and watched in har with the rest of the world as the towers fell. the same towers that hundreds of first responders I just ran into. at the time we had no idea of knowing how many people were trapped. some thought as many as 10,000. when the towers fell so did the cell phones so did the TV. it was hard to find out if your love ones were safe. I will never ever forget the horror and the sorrow of that day.

Wise Old Owl
09-11-2012, 21:52
Thank you Hiker Boy for sharing any others?

Open this everone (unrelated) in a second window,,,,,,,,,,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2A-NtHAcBE

HikerMom58
09-11-2012, 22:13
I forgot until I remembered but I know I will never forget. Thanks for the post.

PD230SOI
09-11-2012, 22:19
Flags were flown at half staff at US Embassies all over the world. We don't forget, never will.

Another Kevin
09-12-2012, 00:00
One of the guys who was along on my first AT trip (we were in scouts together, and I even dated his sister) was a Belle Harbour firefighter and died that day. They lost their company almost to a man fighting the fires at Ground Zero.

(I kind of had to bring the topic back to the AT somehow.)

pmushock
09-12-2012, 00:13
I will never forget seeing the second plane hitting the tower at school. It is a day that will live in infamy, it shows that America will always prevail over any evil it faces and squash it out. Freedom is a privilege that this country fights for everyday, and we must show our support for everybody who puts their life on the line for it. God bless the USA!!!

scree
09-12-2012, 00:49
It was a little better this year, but it's still a very pensive and difficult day. Today reminded me a lot of the actual 9/11; it was a beautiful, breezy, Tuesday morning with a bright blue sky and fluffy white clouds. I remember noting how wonderful the weather was that morning, and looking forward to an afternoon run. I was at work in Arlington, and I remember how quickly everything changed. I still have a little part deep down inside that is enraged, in grief, and confused all at once - the edge is long gone, but it's still there like a little thorn deep down inside and is not something I'll ever forget. I spent some time today remembering the ones I knew and praying for everyone else. God bless the men who finally got to take that shot in May, 2011.

chiefduffy
09-12-2012, 05:32
I was living on a base in Hawaii, so it was very early morning for us. We managed to get our little one out to school in town, but soon the school closed and so did the base, so we couldn't get her back. Marines in ghillie suits and M-16's were patrolling the streets on base......guarantee I'll never forget

StubbleJumper
09-12-2012, 14:06
It's a little off topic, but I beg leave to indulge in a story about a day-hike I did on September 12, 2011.

Exactly one year ago on September 12, 2011, I drove to the Adirondacks to hike Mount Marcy which is the highest mountain in New York state at 5,344 feet. It was my first opportunity to go for a hike after Adirondack Park after it was closed for a couple of weeks following a devastating hit by Hurricane Irene, and what better choice than the highest mountain in NY? Since I had hiked the Colorado Trail last summer, so I was in top trail shape and was antsy to get hiking after the long closure of many trails in the region. Arriving at the Heart Lake trail head at about 7:30, mine was one of a very small number of cars present, even though it was a warm summer morning.

Wearing only a 5lb day-pack, I climbed the Marcy approach trail quickly and had some gained 1,000 feet without stopping. I was surprised to see a somewhat heavy, older hiker come around the corner DESCENDING Marcy carrying only a small day-pack. Now it was perhaps 8:15am and you're not allowed to camp at "high" altitude in the 'dacks so this was quite a strange sight.

The first thing that this fellow did was stop and ask me whether there had been any attempt at a terrorist attack the previous day, which was the 10-year anniversary of the twin towers. I was a bit taken aback, but replied "No, it was thankfully quiet on that front." We chatted a bit longer, and the fellow informed me that he used to be a detective with the NYPD and that he had participated in the response to 9/11 which resulted in him having permanent lung damage due to the smoke and dust that he breathed in on that day. He drove up from NYC to the Adirondacks on September 11, 2011 to hike the highest mountain in New York on the 10th anniversary of the Twin Towers attack to demonstrate that the terrorists had not beaten him. Unfortunately he wasn't in great shape, so he was able to climb Marcy, but ran out of daylight on the descent. As a result, he was forced to spend the night on the mountain at Indian Falls, sleeping on some spruce boughs that he was able to collect. Thankfully it was a warm night. I was the first person he saw when he resumed his hike the next morning.

There's no real point to my story other than to simply convey that I've thought about this chance meeting a great deal over the past year. I value every day that I spend in the woods and each hike is special to me. However, none of my hikes, including the completion of end-to-enders can compare with the meaning that the Marcy hike had for that guy.

Sorry for the disjointed, rambling story.

OzJacko
09-13-2012, 03:18
Due to time differences events of that day basically were live on prime time TV in Oz.
My wife and I watched in horror like most of this country.
A visit to the site to pay my respects is a non-negotiable for me mid hike in 2013.