?

ITEMS CARRIED

Knife
Swiss Army Knife

Guide/Maps
Maps and Thru Hiker Companion

Trek poles
REI Traverse Powerlock

So this is what i plan to bring with me on my thru hike leaving sometime in March 2014. Am i ambitious or can i leave something behind? What am I missing that is essential if anything? Some of these weights are estimated and I am in the process of getting the exact numbers.
nobo

About Me:
Sleep and hike hot
big athletic type with huge appetite
have done multi week hikes before and would call myself semi experienced but nothing compared to a thru hike
this list would be my cold weather gear for the beginning of the hike i would lose some stuff as it got hotter.

OTHER QUESTIONS
In the beginning of the hike am I able to sleep under a tarp and not get eaten alive by bugs? I know what its like when it warms up bc ive done nj to NH on the trail already.

How did people get fuel for canister stoves when they ran out?

Flounder940
09-11-2012, 23:50
I don't see a tarp listed for your hammock under the Shelter section.

Darwin13
09-12-2012, 00:45
I don't see a tarp listed for your hammock under the Shelter section.

crap you're right I have a MacCat Standard with a continuos ridgeline it is 13 oz and the ridgeline is 1 oz

Don H
09-12-2012, 08:32
What method of cooking are you using?
If you're using the freezer bag method you won't need a bowl.
If you're cooking in you cup (by the way what size cup?) and eating out of the bowl you'll need a way to wash it (scrub pad, soap)
I recommend freezer bag cooking.

The AT Guide lists places that sell canisters. Also search the forums here, there's been lots of discussion on where to purchase them.
You can ship one by mail but you have to declare it and ship it surface only.
I managed to never run out of fuel but sometimes had to carry an extra one.

Maps: I only carried the AT Guide, and even then only parts of it. I sent parts home as I completed the trail and had other sections sent to me.
The only map you might want to have is one for the Whites, and I didn't even need that. Others will disagree but very few thru-hikers that I met had maps.

Over all a very well though out list.
At some point you'll send you cold weather gear home and use warm weather gear. Do you have a list for that?

One nit pick, I would swap your 3.2 oz knife for a small Swiss Classic and save 2 oz.

Huber
09-13-2012, 08:55
I dislike using bladders on the trail, its hard to know how much water you have left without opening your pack. I would suggest losing the bladder and just using two 32oz gatorade bottles.

nu2hike
09-15-2012, 11:42
You're only carrying two stakes for your hammock & tarp? Are you planning on making your own when you set up camp? Also what do use use to store your food in for bear bagging?

Darwin13
09-15-2012, 18:02
You're only carrying two stakes for your hammock & tarp? Are you planning on making your own when you set up camp? Also what do use use to store your food in for bear bagging?

i forgot to put the maccat tarp and stakes stuff down. i have them. also i have a stuff sack that i've been using as a bear bag for a few years now.

turtle fast
09-16-2012, 02:43
The trash bag liner will be trashed in a week...you could try a contractors bag that has a thicker wall.

Sampson
09-16-2012, 07:10
I don't see a short sleeve shirt on the list. You'll definitely want to free your forearms at times, even if you don't have any issues with the extra warmth from the long sleeves.

swjohnsey
09-16-2012, 08:41
Driducks won't hold up. I started out with 'em and they lasted about a month. Ended up with Marmot Essence wind shell.

Drybones
09-16-2012, 09:14
I highly recommend lightweight wool tee shirts to control odor. The brown tee I wore was white with salt but never smelled, my cap on the other hand you could smell up wind, wish I could find a lightweight wool cap.

Drybones
09-16-2012, 09:18
Driducks won't hold up. I started out with 'em and they lasted about a month. Ended up with Marmot Essence wind shell.

I used a 9.6 oz poncho that covered my pack as well.

Aquonehostel
09-16-2012, 09:20
For what it's worth we carry the full range of cooking fuels, if you need an emergency fuel drop-off and I'm going to one of three pick-up points; Wayah Gap, Burningtown Gap or Telico Gap (North Carolina) call a head of time 828 321 2340 and I shall bring some fuel with me. Aquone Hostel www.aquonecabins.com/at.html

Spokes
09-16-2012, 10:44
The trash bag liner will be trashed in a week...you could try a contractors bag that has a thicker wall.

Agreed. A 5 pack of Hefty trash compactor bags will last your entire thru hike. Prolly have a couple left over. Throw the extras in your bounce box.

40 ft. of rope"? Don't need "rope" or paracord. It's overkill. 2mm braided cord works fine. Get 10-15 ft. extra to use as a clothes drying line.

I'm not a fan of water filters. Most thru's use AquaMira. Explore the Sawyer Squeeze option. You may like it.

Maps? You may like them up in New Hampshire and Maine. Don't really need them though.

Pusher08
09-16-2012, 21:18
You have a solid list and have clearly done your research, great job! Just remember that in the beginning, its ok to over pack, because sometimes you just never know if it will be something that you'll use or not. If your doing a NoBo, there is a 30 mile section that you can test everything out and at the end of that, there is a great outfitter, where you can buy or send things home. So don't sweat it too much if you packed too much or too little. That said, here's a couple things that may help:

-Definitely use the bladder, but only at night. I used 32oz vitamin water bottles for day use.

-Don't bother with the compass

-I would lose the filter and cary aqua mira

-I would bring 2-3 bandana's. they have so many uses

-instead of the swiss army knife, carry more of a multi-tool, that is lighter and more function able. The keychain/mini multi-tools work great and often have what you'll need

- Look into this for kitchen utensils, I loved having the spat/knife-spork option, the spat made for easy cleaning: http://www.rei.com/product/765204/guyot-designs-microbites-utensils

-I would suggest looking into using an alcohol stove, simply because of how available it is on the trail.

Hot Sauce 2011
09-20-2012, 00:02
Pretty good list, so far. I started my thru hike with the Warbonnet kit- same hammock, the Yeti and Supafly tarp. It got sent home at Neel's Gap to make room for my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. Saved almost a pound and for me it was just more convenient. I like my hammock and Brandon was really helpful when I was getting my stuff together, the tent, for me, was just more practical.

q-tip
09-20-2012, 00:45
What an excellent start--this will evolve up until you step on the trail---then the changes begin---Good Luck!!!!

chip2012
09-20-2012, 17:02
Bring a extra lighter. Get you some darn tough socks and loose the smart wools. Loose the filter and pick up some aqua mira or bleach. The straw hat is not gonna last. Bring a couple extra bandanas they weigh very little and are nice to have. Fuel can be picked up in towns. May want to lose the bladder and just bring another liter. Bugs will not be bad in ga but will be up north. I started with toggels but switches to carabiners and also switched out the straps for some longer webbing.

swjohnsey
09-20-2012, 18:33
My experience was just the opposite, bugs in the south, no bugs in the north, nothin' lives in Maine.

chip2012
09-20-2012, 19:21
Bugs really haven't been that bad anywhere so far. I started 7-5 in Maine. Never had a problem with them back home in ga. Even when they were around they were tolerable.

Darwin13
09-25-2012, 10:36
Wow the responses for this thread have been so helpful! I've already changed and tweaked my list some more based on new research and all of your advice. SOme of the things that people have said jsut don't mesh with my personal system or preferences but whatever HYOH. Thanks again everyone!

also i have a warm weather gear list too that drops the cold weather clothes and some other gear. Drops about a 1.5 lbs. Still looking for a pack to fit my style. I like having minimal gear but A LOT OF FOOD!

Planning is half the fun though!

swjohnsey
09-25-2012, 11:15
Why so much food?

Old Hiker
09-25-2012, 16:42
Bandanas are really helpful - I have several "mapdanas" that I can't find anymore at Antigravity gear; however, I can find only one site on Google that admits to having two different ones. They are larger than normal, have the AT from 2005 (?) Guide books and are just a great piece of gear.

http://gearx.com/mapdana-at-mapdana.html

Darwin13
09-28-2012, 20:35
Why so much food?

I eat a lot and when I have hiker hunger (something I have experienced) my food intake increases exponentially. I am very tall and 237 lbs

swjohnsey
09-28-2012, 21:14
Eat every two or three hours. You can do this on 3,000 - 3,500 calories/2 lbs/day. Make up the calorie deficit when you get to town.

cabbagehead
09-29-2012, 00:08
0.2 grams of cash/card isn't enough.

cabbagehead
09-29-2012, 00:12
Merrel stretch shoes are nice. I used to have the Merrel Moab shoes. I recommend the Chameleon Stretch or Geomorph Stretch.

Darwin13
09-29-2012, 03:21
0.2 grams of cash/card isn't enough.

hahaha that literally made me laugh out loud and its 3:25 am.

Darwin13
09-29-2012, 03:21
Merrel stretch shoes are nice. I used to have the Merrel Moab shoes. I recommend the Chameleon Stretch or Geomorph Stretch.

I have the moabs because that is what I have at the time, things will change within the next year and a half.

Darwin13
10-10-2012, 23:34
Eat every two or three hours. You can do this on 3,000 - 3,500 calories/2 lbs/day. Make up the calorie deficit when you get to town.

I do that? I bring around 2 lbs per day and have a breakfast snack lunch snack dinner
I used to be a nutrition major!

Hosaphone
10-18-2012, 16:31
You have enough experience to decide this for yourself, but be wary of frameless packs. Make sure you know what you're getting into.

When I first got into lightweight packing I had a base weight of ~12 pounds. Picked up a frameless pack. It didn't take long to realize that saving ~1 pound of weight by ditching the frame was a bad compromise for me. As Andrew Skurka would say, it was "stupid light". I would rather have a 21lb pack that carries well and has some bells and whistles that increase comfort and convenience, than have a 20lb frameless pack that doesn't even have padding in the shoulders.

I think that for me, until my baseweight gets down into the 6-7 pound range, I will be much more comfortable with a pack that has at least a minimal frame of some sort.

http://andrewskurka.com/2012/stupid-light-not-always-right-or-better/

The Solemates
10-19-2012, 11:20
you wont make it. your bandana is too heavy :rolleyes:

Raymond James
10-19-2012, 12:09
Sun Glasses, sunscreen, insect repelent, unless you just love the staw hat loose it and get a boony hat. Not a heavy canvas but one of those high tech, light weight exspensive ones. If you wear glasses extra pair? Ear plugs.

Do you have tooth paste, razor, comb, floss, towel?? What do you dig a cat hole with?

Using the phone as a camera?

I would treat clothing with clothing insect repelent before heading out they sell it in the sporting goods section of wallmart.

swjohnsey
10-19-2012, 17:45
Certainly won't need sunglasses.

trovar
10-21-2012, 04:31
I would second dropping the filter for some Aqua Mira.

mrcoffeect
10-21-2012, 08:51

I used mine quite a bit, direct sunlight gives me headaches very quickly

Darwin13
10-21-2012, 10:09
you wont make it. your bandana is too heavy :rolleyes:

Wow compelling and rich. You're a wealth of valuable information!

Old Hiker
10-21-2012, 17:58

I used mine quite a bit, direct sunlight gives me headaches very quickly

I was glad to have my clipons at times - walking into the sun was hard. I had a baseball type cap with my clipon shades and it helped me see the Trail a LOT better.

rickb
10-21-2012, 18:13
iphone case?
one more pair of socks?
a decent mug for coffee?
moleskin or such?

Razor
10-21-2012, 18:23
I think heavy Bandanas are stylish and effective!

Darwin13
10-25-2012, 11:47
Sun Glasses, sunscreen, insect repelent, unless you just love the staw hat loose it and get a boony hat. Not a heavy canvas but one of those high tech, light weight exspensive ones. If you wear glasses extra pair? Ear plugs.

Do you have tooth paste, razor, comb, floss, towel?? What do you dig a cat hole with?

Using the phone as a camera?

I would treat clothing with clothing insect repelent before heading out they sell it in the sporting goods section of wallmart.

Not going to bring sun glasses and sunscreen in the beginning as it will be cold and unnecessary. Never really used sunglasses for anything let alone hiking.

Te straw hat is just a stupid thing I like to bring. It won't last an I don't care.

I thought it said about my toothpaste. Why would I need a raZor and a comb I don't even comb my hair I society let alone the woods. I don't did cat holes. I **** in the privys. Floss would be packed in the repair kit and I'm bringing bandanas as wipes and towels.

I also know about treated my clothe I just didn't put that on the list because its more of a technique than a piece of gear.

I don't wear glasses and ear plugs

Thinking of using phone as camera but that's likely to change.

Darwin13
10-25-2012, 11:50
[QUOTE=rickb;1351479]iphone case?
one more pair of socks?
a decent mug for coffee?
moleskin or such?[/QUOTE

Three Pairs of socks is my personal preference. For cold weather.

I dot drink coffee.

First aid includes blister treatments. But I have tough feet. Not probe to blisters. Of course they could still happe n