PDA

View Full Version : Good sources of protein that don't use peanuts?

Zabigail
09-11-2012, 23:49
I'm allergic to peanuts. I've been trying to find good protein bars that don't use peanuts. The one I found (and sampled) tasted like vomit to me. I'm hoping it might just be the limited selection I've found here, and that there is a decent protein bar that doesn't have peanuts. (Or other ways to carry enough protein for a good section hike?) Does anyone know, or have any research sources they can point me to?

Zabigail
09-11-2012, 23:53
Clarification: I am subscribed to this article (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?8142-Article-Food-protein-greens-and-digestion-OVERVIEW). I'd like input though, specifically on protein bars.

leaftye
09-12-2012, 00:38
On a long hike you're already eating so much that there's no need to supplement with protein. You'd have to try very hard to not have enough. In an old thread, I broke out the math that showed that even if your diet was 100% Snickers bars and literally nothing else but water, you'd consume nearly body builder levels of protein. Scroll down to post 14 if you want to see the numbers.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?78620-Protein-on-the-trail

Since you'll almost certainly have more than enough protein without supplementing, supplementing would just result in you carrying more weight for something your body doesn't need. So instead of adding protein, add something tastier, or healthier, or carry less weight thanks to cutting out excess protein.

That aside, help yourself to Nestle Nido if it isn't already part of your trail diet. It has lots of calories, tastes great, and has lots of stuff in it that's good for your body. Milk has plenty of protein too.

moytoy
09-12-2012, 03:53
You can find almond protein bars by googleing them. They are sold by lots of suppliers. The only problem may be that if they are made with the same machines that make peanut bars there could be some residue. You could make your own and know for sure there is no peanut residue.

Zabigail
09-12-2012, 04:26
You can find almond protein bars by googleing them. They are sold by lots of suppliers. The only problem may be that if they are made with the same machines that make peanut bars there could be some residue. You could make your own and know for sure there is no peanut residue.

Aye, I have to avoid other nuts unless I know the company has shelled and roasted them themselves because nuts are sent to the same facility and roasted on the same equipment, so even before they are made into food they may be cross contaminated. Got any recipes for almond bars? (Or other nuts?)

Rocket Jones
09-12-2012, 05:48
Google 'power bar recipes' or variations of that. There are a ton of them out there.

tdoczi
09-12-2012, 07:15
On a long hike you're already eating so much that there's no need to supplement with protein. You'd have to try very hard to not have enough. In an old thread, I broke out the math that showed that even if your diet was 100% Snickers bars and literally nothing else but water, you'd consume nearly body builder levels of protein. Scroll down to post 14 if you want to see the numbers.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?78620-Protein-on-the-trail

Since you'll almost certainly have more than enough protein without supplementing, supplementing would just result in you carrying more weight for something your body doesn't need. So instead of adding protein, add something tastier, or healthier, or carry less weight thanks to cutting out excess protein.

That aside, help yourself to Nestle Nido if it isn't already part of your trail diet. It has lots of calories, tastes great, and has lots of stuff in it that's good for your body. Milk has plenty of protein too.

i dont frequently eat snickers bars, but last i checked they had peanuts in them and their ad slogan was "packed with peanuts..."

bwburgin1015
09-12-2012, 11:33
Make your own granola bars loaded with a nut you aren't allergic to.

bwburgin1015
09-12-2012, 11:34
If I can find it I'll send you a recipe for some delicious and healthy home made granola bars...customize to your preference or allergies.

Monkeywrench
09-12-2012, 14:36
Not a direct answer to your question, but I would skip the bars and just add protein to your meals in the form of tuna, Spam singles, beef jerky, pre-cooked bacon, hard cheese, etc. Much more pleasant tasting than vomit-flavored manufactured bars.

yellowsirocco
09-12-2012, 17:39
protein bars are just horrible even with peanuts. bring lots of meat. yeah it is heavy, so harden the F up.

leaftye
09-12-2012, 18:29
i dont frequently eat snickers bars, but last i checked they had peanuts in them and their ad slogan was "packed with peanuts..."

That's hardly the point.

PaperCrane
09-12-2012, 20:00
They sell bacon jerky at the liquor store up the road from me.

Del Q
09-12-2012, 20:25
Dried Edamame - excellent and super light!

Zabigail
09-12-2012, 23:01
Google 'power bar recipes' or variations of that. There are a ton of them out there.

I was hoping the folks here had experience with particular recipes and so could point me to nice ones that tasted good.

Make your own granola bars loaded with a nut you aren't allergic to.

Recipes? I will have to shell and roast my own nuts for it, but already knew that. (They send all the nuts to be roasted the the same factories, which use the same equipment and may not be careful.)

Zabigail
09-12-2012, 23:04
If I can find it I'll send you a recipe for some delicious and healthy home made granola bars...customize to your preference or allergies.
Thank you very much!

Zabigail
09-12-2012, 23:10
Not a direct answer to your question, but I would skip the bars and just add protein to your meals in the form of tuna, Spam singles, beef jerky, pre-cooked bacon, hard cheese, etc. Much more pleasant tasting than vomit-flavored manufactured bars.

I'm looking into various options here, carrying meat is not off the list. :)

protein bars are just horrible even with peanuts. bring lots of meat. yeah it is heavy, so harden the F up.

See above... *eyebrow*

tdoczi
09-13-2012, 06:44
That's hardly the point.

your answer stated you dont have to worry about protein because "even if you ate nothing but snickers" youd be fine. except the OP cant eat snickers and was specifically asking for an alternative.

Grits
09-13-2012, 07:00
Enjoy reading Sarah knows her stuff ;) http://www.trailcooking.com/trail-cooking-101

Enjoy reading Laurie knows her stuff ;) http://www.wildernesscooking.com/index.html

Both ladies have posted here on Whiteblaze and I have found their advice to be top notch.

DeerPath
09-13-2012, 13:49
I'm allergic to peanuts. I've been trying to find good protein bars that don't use peanuts. The one I found (and sampled) tasted like vomit to me. I'm hoping it might just be the limited selection I've found here, and that there is a decent protein bar that doesn't have peanuts. (Or other ways to carry enough protein for a good section hike?) Does anyone know, or have any research sources they can point me to?

I suggest you Google "Moose Goo" for the recipe and substitute Nutella for the peanut butter. I make cookies from Moose Goo. Enjoy.

leaftye
09-13-2012, 22:24
your answer stated you dont have to worry about protein because "even if you ate nothing but snickers" youd be fine. except the OP cant eat snickers and was specifically asking for an alternative.

Did you read the first two sentences of that post, or the other 3 examples in the thread I linked to? It's like you read the first 10 words, then skipped over the rest and went straight to Snickers. That's why I said Snickers/peanuts were not the point. The point was that it doesn't really matter what you eat because if you're eating the kinds of large quantities that long distance hikers eat, you'll get tremendous amounts of protein. It could be Snickers, rice, moths, oatmeal, bark, etc. Unless it's something utterly ridiculous like pure honey or Lemon Drops, you're going to get lots of protein.

The mistake lots of people make is they supplement with protein without actually counting the macronutrients in their diet to see if they need protein supplementation. It's a waste of money, pack weight and space. Add protein in real food, food that you're only eating because you want to eat it, not because you want to hit some level of protein that you don't know because you haven't done the math. In fact, if you review some of my old threads, I say that I do add protein powder to my meal replacement shakes, but ONLY because of the flavoring and sweetener in the protein, NOT because I needed more protein.

I'm all about bars if that's an easy form of food to eat, but strongly believe its macronutrients should lean heavily towards carbohydrates and fats/oils instead of protein for the reasons I've stated. If you're eating enough, you won't need to try to get enough protein, but you'll almost certainly not be getting enough carbs and fats. So why supplement something you have more than enough of instead of focusing on something you will need more of?

Wise Old Owl
09-13-2012, 23:33
I have to admit it is hard to look this up, and folks yes I have seen the carob dry mixes on the same machines used with peanut powders... as I have access to manufacture sites in my area. Might be a lost cause, I too on the first pass will say "go homemade"

Zabigail
09-14-2012, 23:34
I suggest you Google "Moose Goo" for the recipe and substitute Nutella for the peanut butter. I make cookies from Moose Goo. Enjoy.
I can't have Nutella, last I checked the label it is a risk. :(

Zabigail
09-15-2012, 00:37
Or, maybe I can have Nutella?! (YAY! :banana ) I just visited their US site (http://www.nutellausa.com/faqs.htm), and they say this...

Does Nutella® contain any peanuts? Nutella® hazelnut spread does not contain peanuts or peanut ingredients, nor does the product come in contact with peanuts during manufacturing.

(Will re-check the label this weekend while grocery shopping, I do avoid foods if they say they might have traces due to earned experiences.)

leaftye
09-15-2012, 01:44
That sounds delicious.

JJJ
09-15-2012, 04:53
Quinoa and hemp hearts -both are seeds and pretty close to a balanced food I think.

Wise Old Owl
09-15-2012, 14:44
Nothing wrong with a hard boiled Egg and a dash of sea salt!

Non-meat sources of protein

Eggs and Dairy

Egg, large - 6 grams protein
Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz

Beans (including soy)

Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams

Nuts and Seeds

Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams