PDA

View Full Version : 112 Grams

WIAPilot
09-13-2012, 05:45
The new iPhone 5 is being launched tomorrow, Friday, September 14th. It is the world's thinnest smart phone and weighs 20% LESS than last year's model. It weighs only 112 GRAMS.

Many of you wouldn't be caught dead with a phone on the trail and that is fine. Just sharing latest news for those of us who carry ours everywhere. :cool:

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2012/

Don H
09-13-2012, 07:13
Suppose to have a longer life battery too.

Lone Wolf
09-13-2012, 08:10
Many of you wouldn't be caught dead with a phone on the trail and that is fine.
99% of all hikers wouldn't be caught dead WITHOUT a phone on the AT

hikerboy57
09-13-2012, 08:50
its a comfort to know when my phone isnt working in the mountains(pretty much all the time) at least I wont be cursing the extra weight as much.

max patch
09-13-2012, 08:59
I'm sure the sheeple are already lining up in the mall.

Quick review:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/apple-announces-new-iphone-with-nword-on-back-know,29531/

Rasty
09-13-2012, 09:57
This covers my thoughts on the new phone! Adult Language warning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

Not pointed at anyone! It's just funny as hell.

max patch
09-13-2012, 10:32
That was great.

Your link was better than my link.

Half Note
09-13-2012, 10:57
its a comfort to know when my phone isnt working in the mountains(pretty much all the time) at least I wont be cursing the extra weight as much.
Not only that, but it's nice to be "disconnected". I at times wish I never had a phone but alas, emergency situations could be a draw back.

Spokes
09-13-2012, 13:51
I like my iPhone and will upgrade when I can. Embracing technology is engrained in us..... Heck even the cavemen came to embrace the technology of their day- Fire, cutting tools, the wheel, yada,yada,yada.

kayak karl
09-13-2012, 14:21
i got this yesterday and it was FREE:banana

pheldozer
09-13-2012, 14:22
it also has an aluminum back on it, so more durable than it's predecessors. and with a larger screen, it'll be easier to read e-books on

Spokes
09-13-2012, 15:01

Should make a fine lamp.

10-K
09-13-2012, 15:05
I like my iPhone and will upgrade when I can. Embracing technology is engrained in us..... Heck even the cavemen came to embrace the technology of their day- Fire, cutting tools, the wheel, yada,yada,yada.

I like my iPhone too and none of the fears I had about upgrading have came true. I thought I was going to have a dead battery within 12 hours. Turns out, in airplane mode I can use it for a camera for 3 days and still check my voicemail and send a few texts a few times every day.

Let me put it this way... I bought a Trent charger to carry on my Long Trail hike between town stops which were 2-4 days apart. I never once had to use it and never got below 20% battery life - and the phone was on except when I was sleeping - in airplane mode most of the time but still....

tdoczi
09-13-2012, 15:11
Not only that, but it's nice to be "disconnected". I at times wish I never had a phone but alas, emergency situations could be a draw back.

pretty sure "emergency situations" pre dated the existence of cell phones by quite a number of years. just another example of how we as a society have gotten to be more and more afraid. i've become convinced the way to strike it rich is to convince people to be afraid of something and then sell them a product that will save them from the bogeyman.

soon i'll leave work and head for home without a cell phone on my person. i think ill be ok, emergency arising or not.

Ender
09-13-2012, 15:11

There's no way that was free... those things cost a fortune nowadays! Antiques, and all that. :)

hikerboy57
09-13-2012, 15:17
I'm still looking for a cell phone with rotary dial.

Alligator
09-13-2012, 15:22
I'm still looking for a cell phone with rotary dial.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wagado.old_phone&hl=en

hikerboy57
09-13-2012, 15:25
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wagado.old_phone&hl=en

perfect!:)

kayak karl
09-13-2012, 15:37
cleaning out a basement to repair the stone wall. owner gave me that and old garden tools to take the trash to the dump. fee at dump was $20. i can dial out, but it won't ring and i don't have the key to open it. :(
i get weird junk. another job i got this for my grandson. FREE :)

Hairbear
09-13-2012, 18:46
pretty sure "emergency situations" pre dated the existence of cell phones by quite a number of years. just another example of how we as a society have gotten to be more and more afraid. i've become convinced the way to strike it rich is to convince people to be afraid of something and then sell them a product that will save them from the bogeyman.

soon i'll leave work and head for home without a cell phone on my person. i think ill be ok, emergency arising or not.
yup +1 we are conditioned constantly to fear things that are beyond our control,makes us easier to be manipulated

Odd Man Out
09-13-2012, 19:02

I have this kind in my dining room. It came from my father's one-room school house. Kellogg patent 1902! My grandfather used his until 1968.

Theosus
09-13-2012, 20:24
For now I'll keep my iPhone 4, but around x-ma$$ I'll probably upgrade...

Spokes
09-13-2012, 22:50
I like my iPhone too and none of the fears I had about upgrading have came true. I thought I was going to have a dead battery within 12 hours. Turns out, in airplane mode I can use it for a camera for 3 days and still check my voicemail and send a few texts a few times every day.

Let me put it this way... I bought a Trent charger to carry on my Long Trail hike between town stops which were 2-4 days apart. I never once had to use it and never got below 20% battery life - and the phone was on except when I was sleeping - in airplane mode most of the time but still....

Sweet! I'm buying a Trent charger when my buddy and I circumnavigate Florida by kayak next year.......

Odd Man Out
09-13-2012, 23:40
Did you see Jimmy Kimmel's schtick on the new i-Phone? He gave a regular i-Phone 4 to a bunch of people and told them it was a new i-Phone 5. They were all impressed at how much lighter it was (hilarious). So here is the key to being an UL hiker. Just think you pack is lighter! Way cheaper than cuben.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rdIWKytq_q4

Wise Old Owl
09-13-2012, 23:56
Welcome back Kathryn:cool:

Spokes
09-13-2012, 23:58
Did you see Jimmy Kimmel's schtick on the new i-Phone? He gave a regular i-Phone 4 to a bunch of people and told them it was a new i-Phone 5. They were all impressed at how much lighter it was (hilarious). So here is the key to being an UL hiker. Just think you pack is lighter! Way cheaper than cuben.

lmfao...................

T.S.Kobzol
09-14-2012, 01:18
I don'tthink it is the worlds thinnest smartphone. It is thinner than iPhone 4 though. :-)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2