PDA

View Full Version : New here -- Need some advise

mjwood0
05-06-2005, 12:20
Hello all!

I'm new here but not new to backpacking or camping. I've hiked multiple 10 day trips and have always enjoyed myself. My wife of 3 years has done some car based camping with me and really enjoyed herself. This year, she approached me about actually doing some backpacking! :D

We looked at our schedules and it seems that the best (or should I say only) week we're going to be able to do this is the last week of May / first week of June. This includes the memorial day holiday and the weekend on either side (about 7 days of hiking). I decided to give her some trial books and let her pick where we hike in general since I wanted her to really enjoy herself.

Turns out that she wants to try the AT in SNP! I've always wanted to section hike the AT, so this is fine by me!

We're going to do lots of prep and I have all the gear we'll need. It's not the latest or lightest, but it should suffice for a introduction.

So, what we need to do is figure out what the best route would be in SNP. I'm not really concerned with staying on the AT the whole time and we both would prefer loop hiking. We are also both okay with splitting it into two shorter loops with a re-supply at the car in the middle (less weight is always good to start with!).

Any ideas? I've heard the SNP is beautiful and my wife loves waterfalls, so what can ya all tell me? Also... how awful crowded with the SNP be this week?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

kncats
05-06-2005, 12:44
http://ajheatwole.com/guide/log.html will give you plenty of information on SNP to get started. There are numerous loop hikes available and it's easy to decide on a figure-of-eight shaped loop that'll take you past your vehicle halfway through. The campstores at Big Meadow and Loft Mountain campgrounds are also good resupply options. My wife and I have hiked most of the trails in the southern section, the Rip Rap Hollow and Big Run Portal trail areas are our favorite loops. Be forewarned though, once you head off of the AT down the side trails you are in for some major elevation changes. That time of year you can expect the park to be pretty crowded on the weekends. Don't plan on hiking until real late and expect to find a decent (and legal) camping site.

Peaks
05-08-2005, 19:25
Buy the AT Guide to Shenandoah National Park, and study the maps. Plenty of great loops that can be done using the side trails and the AT.

mjwood0
05-09-2005, 11:40
Buy the AT Guide to Shenandoah National Park, and study the maps. Plenty of great loops that can be done using the side trails and the AT.
Thanks. We've got that and it seems to be very informative. I was just wondering what side trails people recommended.

Thanks again for the help!

Peaks
05-09-2005, 17:07
Thanks. We've got that and it seems to be very informative. I was just wondering what side trails people recommended.

Several years ago, we did multi-day trips, making loops using side trails and the AT as the return leg. We discovered that the best hiking in SNP is off the ridge and off the AT.