PDA

View Full Version : Hypothermia ???

Sidewinder
09-13-2012, 20:39
The "average temp" for the human body is 98.6°F, if this temp drops bringing it to or below 95°F one is at risk of experiencing hypothermia.

So what happens if someone has an average body temp of 96.5 to 97°F, has had this temp all their life and is in excellent health, heart and BP are excellent, would their body temp need to drop approximately the same 3-4°F bringing it to approximately 93°F before experiencing hypothermia?

OR

are they at a higher risk of experiencing hypothermia if/when their body temp reaches 95°F?

hikerboy57
09-13-2012, 20:41
unless you taking your temperature constantly it's a moot point. you just need to recognize the signs of the onset of hypothermia.

Wise Old Owl
09-13-2012, 23:21
Yea its core temp-just like when you see a kid in the pool with blue lips...

Tinker
09-13-2012, 23:30
Good question - unfortunately I don't have the answer, but I've often wondered why my average temperature is in the high 97 degree range, but I sleep like a furnace. :-?

Wise Old Owl
09-13-2012, 23:34
I wonder if taking HB meds is making the extra degree?

Sugarfoot
09-14-2012, 07:45
I share your low body temperature and it hasn't prevented me from experiencing borderline hypothermia twice, once on the AT -- Georgia in June after a sudden thunderstorm -- and once on the northern part of the Long Trail in July. Your question is a nice theoretical concern. More important is recognizing the signs of hypothermia and taking immediate appropriate action before it becomes more than borderline.

Sidewinder
09-14-2012, 13:19
Yea its core temp-just like when you see a kid in the pool with blue lips...

I don't think you understand the question. I know it's core body temp, but if one has a lower core body temp than the average and it's normal for them, will that persons body core temp need to drop to around 93°F before experiencing hypothermia?

I share your low body temperature and it hasn't prevented me from experiencing borderline hypothermia twice, once on the AT -- Georgia in June after a sudden thunderstorm -- and once on the northern part of the Long Trail in July. Your question is a nice theoretical concern. More important is recognizing the signs of hypothermia and taking immediate appropriate action before it becomes more than borderline.

How did it prevent you from experiencing borderline hypothermia?

Yep, I am well aware of the signs.

Sugarfoot
09-14-2012, 14:20
I promise that I didn't measure my core temperature, so I can't say that my low body temperature made any difference. On the Long Trail, I was tented at the base of Worth Mountain. I woke up to temps in the upper 40's and drizzle (good July weather). I just put my rain suit over shorts and t-shirt. When I got to the ski slope on top of the mountain, the wind was howling. I soon got to a shelter and sat at the front and had a snack. I realized that I didn't know how I got there, which clued me in that my thinking was getting fuzzy. I forced myself to focus and saw that a closed cabin was coming up shortly. I got there, made some hot soup, and got into my sleeping bag. That was about 11:00 and I didn't stop shivering until after sunset. If I had known better, I would have put warm water in my water bottle and applied it to arm pits or groin. Had I done that, I might have continued my hike that day. I should have put my long underwear on under the rain suit, so none of the membrane was touching skin. I understand your question, and it makes sense, but I don't think I'll volunteer for an experiment.

Sidewinder
09-14-2012, 14:35
I promise that I didn't measure my core temperature, so I can't say that my low body temperature made any difference. On the Long Trail, I was tented at the base of Worth Mountain. I woke up to temps in the upper 40's and drizzle (good July weather). I just put my rain suit over shorts and t-shirt. When I got to the ski slope on top of the mountain, the wind was howling. I soon got to a shelter and sat at the front and had a snack. I realized that I didn't know how I got there, which clued me in that my thinking was getting fuzzy. I forced myself to focus and saw that a closed cabin was coming up shortly. I got there, made some hot soup, and got into my sleeping bag. That was about 11:00 and I didn't stop shivering until after sunset. If I had known better, I would have put warm water in my water bottle and applied it to arm pits or groin. Had I done that, I might have continued my hike that day. I should have put my long underwear on under the rain suit, so none of the membrane was touching skin. I understand your question, and it makes sense, but I don't think I'll volunteer for an experiment.

Sugarfoot I read your first post incorrectly, my apologies. As far as volunteering I would as long as it was done in a medical facility, but know way in hell would I trust a bunch of know it all virtual hikers.

Sugarfoot
09-14-2012, 19:48
Sidewinder, along the lines of your original question, I've wondered if a lower body temperature makes us inhospitable to certain bacteria which ought to optimized for the average. Any thoughts? I also find that I have a pronounced circadian rhythm, with my body temperature falling during the night and rising toward morning. The result, sleeping inside, is that I always kick off the blankets around midnight and reach for them before arising. Outside, when the temperature falls at night, I'm comfortable without adjusting my bedding. For myself, I now plan for the record low temperature and hope to avoid ever getting close to hypothermia again! It is not fun.

Sidewinder
09-15-2012, 12:23
Sidewinder, along the lines of your original question, I've wondered if a lower body temperature makes us inhospitable to certain bacteria which ought to optimized for the average. Any thoughts? I also find that I have a pronounced circadian rhythm, with my body temperature falling during the night and rising toward morning. The result, sleeping inside, is that I always kick off the blankets around midnight and reach for them before arising. Outside, when the temperature falls at night, I'm comfortable without adjusting my bedding. For myself, I now plan for the record low temperature and hope to avoid ever getting close to hypothermia again! It is not fun.

hmmm...well I have had only one cold in the past 40 yrs, stomach viruses can't remember if I've had one in the same 40 yr years or not I think not. I use quilts when camping so I can stick my feet out to help regulate my comfort level during the night, I do the same at home

oldbear
10-08-2012, 08:16
Sidewinder
A couple of things
In October of '73 I came within 500' of dying of hypothermia while hiking the Presidentials of NH and that experience has had an effect on every mile that I've hiked since : Trust me on this ; tunnel vision is no fun
Since most hikers dont hike w/ a thermometer in their rectums and a read out of their core temps on their electronic device of choice it's impossible to know ones actual core temperature; symptoms are the only practical way to know that one is becoming hypothermic
Lastly if you are as fit as you claim to be then you probably have a ridiculously low percentage of body fat to insulate you when clothing fails and your ridiculously low percentage of body fat may in fact accelerate your rate of cooling.
A relevant tangent
Last night Mythbusters did one of their great experiments on the subject of hypothermia
The myth that they wanted to test was whether or not Jack and Rose of the movie Titanic would have lived long enough to be rescued

Karma13
10-08-2012, 09:16
Well? Would they have?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Snowleopard
10-08-2012, 10:04
Sidewinder, I wonder if your body core temperature is closer to normal? If not, you just need to very diligent about avoiding enough chilling to even approach borderline hypothermia. Once you reach a point where you become clumsy and a little confused, it can be difficult to save yourself if you're alone.

My guess would be that you would be more susceptible to hypothermia, that hypothermia would begin at the same temperature as anyone else. A lot of physiological processes are optimized for normal body temperatures and stop working efficiently at the lower temperatures of hypothermia. You would probably have less of a margin than most people.

There was a research project that had mountain climbers swallow a thermometer with a radio in it, so that body core temperatures could be monitored in real time while they were climbing. What I recall is that for each individual the core temperature varied a surprising amount as their physical effort varied. These were very fit climbers, so if they were chilled they could increase their power output and warm up.

Everybody should read the Old Fhart's excellent hypothermia article:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?199-Hypothermia

kayak karl
10-08-2012, 12:05
thanks for the article reminder. heres a link to the Nova show you may be referring to http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/denali/core.html

oldbear
10-08-2012, 12:13
Well? Would they have?

Inquiring minds want to know!
hahhahahaha
Rose would have survived because even though she spent 63 minutes in 29F water and had a core temp of 84F
she was on a " raft " and therefore breathing air when she lost all muscle control
Jack using the same numbers would have died bc he was in the water when he lost all muscle control