PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrating - The quick suaces

Van Lloyden
05-06-2005, 12:30
I'm leaving in 3 weeks for my 30 day trip and I need some new sauce recepies to dehydrate.

I'm looking for the "go to the grocery store, buy the can or bottle, pour it on the tray and leave it variety."

No chili or spaghetti options please as these have been exhausted.

What have you found works well? My mind is mush with work and I cannot think beyond chili and spaghetti sauce.

If you have a simple recepie, I have no problems wth that either. I just want to avoid grand sauces that take time to cook with many ingredients...I want fast, and proven tasty.

Cheers,
VL

Stoker53
05-06-2005, 12:33
Is dehydrated tomato paste the same as spagetti sauce? If not it will serve as an ingredient in lots of stuff.

The Solemates
05-06-2005, 13:02
olive oil and parmesan
melted cheese
add tuna to anything
add chicken to anything
canned beef broth
canned chicken broth
etc.

just throwing out ideas. personally, i like the ones where everything is included, like Liptons, etc.

hiker5
05-06-2005, 13:28
canned beef/chicken broth ----> dehydrated ----> beef/chicken broth bouillon

The Solemates
05-06-2005, 13:30
canned beef/chicken broth ----> dehydrated ----> beef/chicken broth bouillon

there ya go.

sarbar
05-06-2005, 19:25
Any of the sauce packets by Knorr. They sell them in the pasta sauce aisle and also in the packet aisle. You don't need to dehydrate them, they don't need the oil (unless it is pesto!), and you can use dry milk (1/3 cup to every cup water).
Many can even be done somewhat decently in a freezer bag also. If done in a pan, drain your pasta, but save the amount of water you will need (ie..if it calls for 1 cup milk, save a cup of water, toss back in with the mix and the milk powder. Mix well..and eat!)
Good over pasta, rice, mashed potatoes..etc.

Doctari
05-06-2005, 22:06
Any of the "gravy"s I like mushroom by Heinz but almost any will do. Add to potato flakes or rice.

Most/many of your Oriental stores have dried sauces & soups, I like Miso (seaweed) soup.

Hint: try them at home first, time how long to cook, even use your camp stove. Many rehydrate without heat, then use minimal fuel to heat.

Doctari.

Ramble~On
05-12-2005, 01:47
Salsa....chunky salsa...make your own or use the store bought bottles.

I dry salsa down to flakes...not a fruit rollup texture but drier than that.

Here's one I like.
I eyeball the measurements so sorry I can't tell you exact amounts.

Instant rice..brown or white
Dried black olive slices, dried red pepper chunks, dried green pepper chunks,
A bunch of dried salsa flakes, dried tomato, dried onion, dried habernaro.
a few shakes of Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning.
I eyeball the water needed and add this stuff and let it boil for ? 5 minutes maybe...
I add a pack of white Chicken breast...stir it up and let it sit for about 5 more minutes covered in a pot cozy.
When it's all rehydrated it shouldn't be watery..it should be kinda think.
I smear spoonfuls onto tortillas and add some shredded cheese...roll it into burritos and pig out.
The salsa makes it !

Turkey or Chicken Gravy--dried
Cream of Mushroom Dried
StoveTop Stuffing (quick, cheap, light, good, filling)
Chicken Breast

Alligator
05-12-2005, 09:29
I have an additional approach. I dehydrate the whole meal, whatever it is. There's generally some kind of "sauce" involved. When initially cooking the meal, I reduce the sauce in the meal as much as possible to cut down on dehydrating time.

As others have mentioned, dry sauces can be purchased at the store. The gravy section is full of them. Buillion cubes of all kinds, dried soup packets, Doctari mentions Asian stores, but supermarkets also have stir-fry type packets. Something I have yet to try but often mentioned is TVP (texturized vegetable protein). It's been said this adds a cheesy texture to the meal, plus lots of protein.

Last, bring a little cornstarch or potato flakes to thicken the meal up if the sauce used is a thin one.

cmr_hiker
06-04-2005, 07:58
well i also have a dehydrator...

check this out,

www.waltonfeed.com (http://www.waltonfeed.com)
www.suttonsbaytrading.com (http://www.suttonsbaytrading.com)
www.beprepared.com (http://www.beprepared.com)

if you account for all the time you spend dehydrating, going to the store, the electricity involved and the amount of food needed to purchase, also think about the best long term dehydration (wouldnt it suck at 5 months and you get a mail drop that has mold in it)

then

look at those places and think about purchasing previously dehydrated food.

some great stuff!http://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

oh yeah, they have all sorts of TVP type products. beef and chicken flavor, veggies, beans, fruits, mre. its total insanity!

i remember how long i had my dehydrator going for 3 people on a 2 week trip.
fresh peppers cost more than dehydrated ones! go figure, its cheaper woo woo!