PDA

View Full Version : Planning for April 2007, need info on costs, time, etc

opqdan
05-06-2005, 13:33
I'm an avid hiker, but I've never attempted anything even remotely close to thru-hiking the A.T. I have hiked in the Sangre de Christo mountains for 16 days straight before with only a single resupply, so I figure I can look at the A.T. as being equivalent as far as food, water, etc go. I'm in school right now but I will graduate in December 2006, which allows me to hike from April to October 2007 before I have to start a career. I do have a couple of questions though:

1. What was your total cost for the trip (without taking into account gear purchased before you left). This is especially important as I need to start saving now. I have most of the gear that I will need, but I will need to purchase food and possible some replacement gear along the way.

2. How long did it take you, I understand that anywhere from 4.5 - 6 months is average.

3. Anything special that you brought along (or didn't) that you could not do without?

Ender
05-06-2005, 14:35
1. What was your total cost for the trip (without taking into account gear purchased before you left). This is especially important as I need to start saving now. I have most of the gear that I will need, but I will need to purchase food and possible some replacement gear along the way.

I did the AT back in '98, and I'd say I probably spent somewhere in the realm of about $1500-$2500 (I didn't keep track... too disheartening.). Most of that was spent during the first half of the trip, when I stayed in motels more frequently. But the food costs during the second half, when you really have your appitite are not to be discounted. Really, if you're frugal, you can easily do it for less than $1500. Heck, I know two girls who did the PCT for $800 between the two of them... That's $400 a person for 2600 miles. Pretty damn impressive. But, they didn't buy anything but trail food. They say a good average is $1-$1.50 a mile, which works out to $2K-$3K.

2. How long did it take you, I understand that anywhere from 4.5 - 6 months is average.

It took me six months to the day. When I do it again, I plan on taking at least that long. I'll just take more side trails and spend more zero mile days in the woods instead of in town. If you have the time, consider starting in March instead of April. That'll give you more time to play with, and if you do go slow, you won't be rushing the winter weather on Katahdin.

3. Anything special that you brought along (or didn't) that you could not do without?

Books. I read a lot. Plus, my journal and camera. Everything else was gear. Next time I'm bringing a cell phone so I dont' spend so much on phone calls while in town (and no, I won't use it on the trail... I just have paid calling card companies way too much already.)

Peaks
05-08-2005, 19:22
There questions:

Cost: In a nutshell, most hikers probably spend about $3,000 during a thru-hike. There is tremendous variation in this number, from under $2,000 to over let's say $6,000. Hiking the trail itself is basically free. It's in towns where you spend your money. So, in order to figure out how much you are going to spend, you need to decide how much time you plan to spend in towns, and how well you plan to sleep, eat, and drink while in towns. There is plently of posts here and elsewhere on this topic.

Time: While no one has a recent averages, the best numbers available suggest that most hikers take between 21 and 27 weeks, with an average of 25. One major variable is the number of zero days taken.

One thing for certain. People that take longer to hike the trail take more days off and it costs more than those that do not.

Gear: Plenty of posts on what to bring.