PDA

View Full Version : R-Value

hopi366
09-14-2012, 17:56
I don't think I want to deal with inflatable pads on my NOBO 2013 AT hike. Yes, they compress well and may provide more comfort but what are the downsides other than space to closed cell foam pads? What kind of R-value am I gonna need for my start in Georgia? I figure I could always switch it out later if I'm not happy with the closed cell.

Starchild
09-14-2012, 18:25
I have used a ridgerest for many many years. The one I have is 12.8 oz, so lighter then most inflatables. I do find it a bit less comfortable then inflatables but also find it insulates OK for me - I have no idea of the r-value except it had one when I bought it. I might say it insulates better then some inflatables which I assume since the inflatables is a large air chamber that allows heat transfer via convection while the mat is many small air chambers separated by foam walls and convection is prevented.

Sometimes the ridge rest gets in the way on the trail, but usually that is not a problem. It is also easier to deploy (no inflating), and can be used for a lunch seat.

I am still debating if to bring the ridge rest or a inflatable.

Also think of the sleeping system, what type of bag do you use. It it's a big puffy down bag then a nearly flat surface may not be the best for you since the down will just compress and be useless, a surface with deep ridges or with holes such as the newer ultralight mats would be warmer. However if your bag is synthetic (and not puffy) I think this difference would not be as pronounced.

hopi366
09-14-2012, 21:27
I like the idea of having a cell foam pad that I can use for multiple purposes, and since I dont plan on bringing a chair I think a pad to sit on during dinner would be nice. I DO plan on starting the trail with a down bag though. I want the warmth and compression. It makes sense that a foam pad would compress the down quicker tho. in general, is it a bad idea to use a down bag with a thin foam pad, or will an inflatable really make that much of a difference? Thanks for all the advice btw. All suggestions and info is greatly appreciated :)

garlic08
09-14-2012, 21:53
The R-value you depends much on when you hike. If you start in mid-April or later, don't worry about it. You really need high R-value if you're sleeping on a frozen surface, like snow, icy ground, or a plank platform (shelter floor) in freezing air. If you can sleep on unfrozen earth, preferably a soft bed of leaves or pine duff, a closed cell foam (CCF) pad should be OK.

I started my AT hike in early April and had to make snow camps a couple of times. I was able to scrape new snow off the dirt (with the edge of my CCF pad) and slept fine. My coldest night was on a shelter platform in the Smokies, when it was not permitted to sleep on the ground. I supplemented my pad with all my clothes and the pack.

When I make my occasional snow camp, I bring a piece of Reflectix duct insulation to lay under my CCF pad. The two together work well for me and are light and durable. I have not used an inflatable for over a decade. There are those who swear by them, mainly those who do much more serious winter camping.

I don't like to start a 2000 mile hike with anything for which a repair kit is sold. CCF pads are a compromise in comfort, for sure, but you can't beat them for durability and cost.

hopi366
09-15-2012, 09:03
.I don't like to start a 2000 mile hike with anything for which a repair kit is sold. CCF pads are a compromise in comfort, for sure, but you can't beat them for durability and cost.

This is what I'm going for. Ah screw it maybe I should just become a hammock camper. I do love my ENO.

pyroman53
09-15-2012, 16:12
For pad R-values check this out:
http://www.tenpoundbackpack.com/gear-lists/sleeping-pads/

For Mag's article on pads:
http://www.pmags.com/sleepings-pads-a-grounded-view