PDA

View Full Version : Hello all, total noob to hiking and trailing....

KDOG
09-15-2012, 21:00
Hi everyone. I didn't see a New Member forum so I apologize is this is in the wrong spot. I've been a long time camper and EDCer. The boy scout troop my stepson is a member of may be doing a 5day/50 mile hike on the AT in the spring and I'm very interested in joining them, its something I've always wanted to do anyway.... A couple of years ago while camping in Gettysburg PA I drove down to Caledonia State Park and hiked up a very small section for the afternoon. I loved it. So now this opportunity has come up so I'm starting to get excited. However, I don't know where to start. Etiquette, terminology, classes, gear I need advice on. Of course I'm gonna root around the forums for this info, especially on the gear. I've always been a fan of (and own) some of the well made military style gear such Kifaru, SpecOps, etc...and while some of that stuff my work fine for short hiking trips, some of it isn't suited for serious hiking at all so I have some research to do. I will be going with a scout troop so I doubt the leaders are gonna be trying to kill the boys on this hike so I imagine it will be a relatively mild section of the trail, and in mild weather as well, so I'm thinking its a good trip to to get started with it anyhow.

Anyway just wanted to introduce myself and hope to learn alot and contribute as well...

HikerMom58
09-15-2012, 21:55
Welcome KDOG.. you can find a lot of info on here. :) You will have fun!!

hikerboy57
09-15-2012, 22:11
Welcome to whiteblaze.you can get a ton of in formation in the articles on the home page.. if you have a question we're more than happy to give you conflicted opinions.

Rocket Jones
09-15-2012, 22:11
Start with the Articles section on the Home Page. Tons of information there, and that will help narrow down your questions.

Welcome.

Rocket Jones
09-15-2012, 22:15
LOL and that may be the last time you get two answers that agree with each other.

hikerboy57
09-15-2012, 22:18
I disagree....

kayak karl
09-15-2012, 22:23
hi, welcome from South Jersey,
on 11/4/12 i will be doing a camping/hiking thing at Batsto, NJ (near Tuckerton off the Parkway) for children. the whole event is called "Lines in the Pines for Kids". we are setting up in park to answer questions about gear and talk about safety on trails (these are just nature trails :))
feel free to stop out and hang out. we will be camping that night at Buttonwood (http://goo.gl/maps/WQKE). (can car camp). nothing like asking questions in the woods :)

All are welcome
PM for more info.
KK&K

KDOG
09-15-2012, 22:28
Welcome to whiteblaze.you can get a ton of in formation in the articles on the home page.. if you have a question we're more than happy to give you conflicted opinions.

LOL. Thats' pretty much every forum like this... I'm a member of EDCforums.com, Survivalistboards.com and many others and oh, the arguments. And sometimes over the dumbest crap!

Train Wreck
09-16-2012, 05:00
LOL. Thats' pretty much every forum like this... I'm a member of EDCforums.com, Survivalistboards.com and many others and oh, the arguments. And sometimes over the dumbest crap!

:welcome

KDOG, Welcome to the WhiteBlaze family!
Glad you found this site.

swjohnsey
09-16-2012, 08:37
We passed lotsa scout groups along the way. It wasn't the kids who were suffering. You can use military style gear but it really ain't suited for the trail. You will enjoy your hiking much more if you get your pack weight down.

KDOG
09-16-2012, 10:18
Heh heh, yeah I guess kids have all the energy and exuberance. I'm in good shape however, I do some kind of workout almost everyday and walk at least a mile almost everyday. I guess starting to to do it with a pack would be good practice.

The leader who wants to do this is experienced with it (I'm assuming) as he's done 7 whole states of it. He stated we should get good hiking boots/shoes NOW and start breaking them in. Sounds like good advice.

I lean toward the military style gear cuz its what I'm familiar with. I like the durability of the 1000D Cordura and yes, the styling. (I'm former military) I'm in the market for a large pack for all around BOB, survival, EDC duties anyway. So I guess I'm trying to find one I can use all around, use on this trip and take notes on what works and what doesn't. SpecOps has theire "T.H.E. Pack" in foliage on sale for a measly $100. Its a great pack that gets rave reviews, including on the comfort issue. I admit however that it may flat out STINK for hiking duties. I should go to some stores as some of you have stated and look around. I am leery of the materials some of these packs are made of however, some of them look like one catch on a branch and they'd rip right open. Of course I haven't looked at them. The only store I know of that sells packs like this is Dicks' Sporthing Goods store about 30 min from me. Anyway, Its still up in the air at this point so I should just hang loose for awhile and read up...

Spokes
09-16-2012, 11:12
Welcome to WB......

Check out this previous post with some links you may enjoy:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?87350-Young-man-Planning-Thru-Hike-for-2013&p=1333196&viewfull=1#post1333196

Cheers mate!

KDOG
09-16-2012, 12:29
Thanks Spokes! Bookmarking them now....

dperry
09-16-2012, 13:18
Hi, KDOG,

There is an REI in Marlton on 73 just south of the intersection with 70:

http://www.rei.com/stores/marlton.html

We've gone there a couple of times when hiking in South Jersey and they're pretty good.

For that matter, if you have an excuse to go to North Jersey, you've also got Campmor:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/CustomerServiceContent____aboutus?evtype=CpgnClick&langId=-1&intv_id=16002&storeId=226&mpe_id=15533&catalogId=40000000226&ddkey=http:ClickInfo

Not open on Sundays, unfortunately:(, but they are open later on Saturdays than they used to be. Either of these places is way better for serious backpackers than Dick's.

KDOG
09-16-2012, 16:24
Hi, KDOG,

There is an REI in Marlton on 73 just south of the intersection with 70:

http://www.rei.com/stores/marlton.html

We've gone there a couple of times when hiking in South Jersey and they're pretty good.

Oooohhh.. I'll have to take a ride up there here soon... Better leave the wallet at home though... might spend too much...

Darwin13
09-16-2012, 16:32
this place is internet hiker heaven. just make sure you hike as much as you surf

KDOG
09-16-2012, 16:59
Well if it counts, I took a roughly 45-min hike through Belleplain State Forest (Lake Nummy) at a church picnic today. ;)

Virginia Archer
09-19-2012, 20:04
Oooohhh.. I'll have to take a ride up there here soon... Better leave the wallet at home though... might spend too much...
Sign up with REI and they will E-mail you with Sales and other stuff. I'm fairly new also(and Former Military too) and during their labor day sale...I think I broke the bank but still saved over $300! They seem to have some type of sale almost all the time!

Whack-a-mole
09-20-2012, 00:00
Hey KDOG, welcome to WB. I'm former military also (Navy EOD), but I'll give you a heads up, ditch the military gear, fast. It's too heavy. I know that sounds odd, but it's just overbuilt, and you will nickel and dime your way into 15 extra pounds, which doesn't sound like much, until you take it off and feel the freedom. Sometimes it's hard to give up old habits.