PDA

View Full Version : Toe-jamming

JerseyGirl
09-15-2012, 21:08
I'm a southbound AT section-hiker. Coming down the Stairway to Heaven in NJ towards Rt. 94, I was toe-jamming all the way down in my Keen lightweight hiking boots. I bought Keen because of the larger toe box. Lost the toenails on both big toes. This year I had to add an arch support in the boot but also wore thicker socks, cut my toenails extremely low and used poles. Still toe-jammed coming down Pochuck Mountain but this time the middle toes were effected even though they are not longer than my big toes. Most likely from the added arch supports but any ideas on how to stop the toe jamming? The next few sections through High Point look to be just as rocky as the previous sections. Looked at toe protectors but do they really work?

bigcranky
09-15-2012, 21:24
I'm assuming you've tried re-tying your shoes for the long steep downhills? I jam my foot in the heel and tighten the laces a lot, and that helps prevent the dreaded black toe. I just have to remember to loosen them when I get to the bottom, of course. My long-time favorite hiking shoes are Salomon trail runners with the pull-and-lock lacing system, so this is a little easier for me, but my wife can do it with her New Balance runners too.

Oh, and I see this is post #1, so :welcome.

Are you a big Tom Waits or Bruce fan?

JerseyGirl
09-16-2012, 01:00
Thanks for the welcome - yup tied them as tight as I could. Looking into Australian Hiking Wool. I turn my ankles & bump my toes alot on the rocks and roots in these sections so I do like my boots but could bring along a pair of runners if it starts up again. Bruce fan but love both his & Waits' version of Jersey Girl.