PDA

View Full Version : Good Campgrounds near Damascus, VA?

squallace87
09-15-2012, 23:15
I'm trying to gather some information about a weekend section hike in Damascus, VA. I wanted to know what are some good campgrounds in the Damascus area so I can stay at the campground and then drive to hike in the morning. I'm also trying this is mid October, so I'm trying to keep in mind that the campgrounds are still open.

Alleghanian Orogeny
09-17-2012, 16:01
Howdy neighbor (I'm in Raleigh),

Last month I spent 3 nights at Grindstone CG, part of the Mount Rogers Nat Rec Area. It's about 8 minutes past Konnarock and Konnarock is around 20 minutes east on US 58 from Damascus. It's big, with lots of tent sites and RV sites, good showers, campground hosts on site, etc. As the AT descends Mount Rogers NOBO, it passes about a quarter mile down VA 603 from the Grindstone CG, so if your section is NOBO from Damascus, this might make sense for you.

Closer to Damascus is Beartree Recreation Area, also part of Mount Rogers NRA. Nice, but with fewer sites having hookups and electricity. Beartree is around 15 minutes east of Damascus off of US 58.

SOBO from Damascus is Backbone Rock Recreation Area, but I think the campground is closed for water system repairs. Too bad, as it's just 5 minutes south of Damascus towards Shady Valley, TN. Might be worth a phone call to the MRNRA ranger office to confirm status.

Farther SOBO there are a few tent sites at Watauga Lake, and across Holston Mountain there are two NF campgrounds on South Holston Lake.

There's a commercial CG at the far eastern of the Virginia Creeper Trail. Creeper Trail CG?

Raccoon Branch CG is a nice little spot on VA 16 near Sugar Grove, close to the AT, NOBO from Grindstone.

Last but not least, Grayson Highlands State Park butts up against Mount Rogers and their website shows 96 campsites. Virginia state parks will reserve campsites. See their webpage.

If I'm not mistaken, Raccoon Branch, Grindstone, and Beartree can all be reserved through the National Parks/National Forests nationwide reservation system, Recreation.gov. That's how we booked Grindstone for our August weekend.

Googling Mount Rogers NRA will bring you maps of the area and locates the CGs.

AO

squallace87
09-22-2012, 13:21
Thanks AO! I've been looking into Grindstone CG and Raccoon Branch. Again thanks for the help, gotta get one last AT hike in before the end of the year.

JJJ
09-22-2012, 15:56
..... As the AT descends Mount Rogers NOBO, it passes about a quarter mile down VA 603 from the Grindstone CG, so if your section is NOBO from Damascus, this might make sense for you.

AO
That's actually a blue blaze from the AT starting at the AT at Deep Gap and 4 miles down to 603. It's a wonderful trail. The GHSP CG would only be a mile-ish to the AT. I'd gravitate that way, but it's all good. Check seasonal closing dates though.

Teeycp
09-22-2012, 16:42
Hey I live in West Lake (Smith Mountain Lake) VA and I am planning a hike with Trout fishing mid October (schedule pending). Mt Roger's Outfitters provides shuttle service to trailheads. They are taking me to a creek head about seventeen miles so I can fish and hike down the creek. They have told me that camp sites are available all along the way.

brotheral
09-22-2012, 18:40
Hurricane Campground is a few miles south of Raccoon Branch CG . If you're heading south on Rt 16 you'd turn right on 650 @ Dickey Gap and follow the signs. It says 3 miles to the campground but it's actually 1.8. Some very nice sites on Hurricane Creek in this little gem. Open through Oct 31st.#2 is my favorite, then #5. You can access the A/T all over this area. Even from the campground. You can reserve sites through Reserve America, but you need to book about 4 days in advance. It would be great if you had 2 cars and a map. 2 weeks ago I parked at Elk Garden and rode over to Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands State Park with some other hikers. Hiked back to my car including 1/2 mile blue blaze to Mt Rogers Summit. About 9 miles. Beautiful scenery / views including wild ponies, longhorn steer, & cows. Happy Trails..

squallace87
09-22-2012, 23:47
Yea I'm going with some buddies so I'll have the luxury of having two cars and I already have maps of the AT in southwest VA. I heard that there was beautiful scenery and that the ponies go crazy for apples. My plan of attack is to go to a campground for 3 nights. When I wake up, drive to the end point of our hike for the day and drop that vehicle off and then drive to our starting point. Rinse and repeat for the next couple of days.

brotheral
09-23-2012, 04:26
Here's Site #2 on Hurricane Creek...It's huge :)
Also, you can cut any dead & down wood in this area. I throw my Stihl in the trunk with a full tank of gas.

Alleghanian Orogeny
09-23-2012, 19:17
That's actually a blue blaze from the AT starting at the AT at Deep Gap and 4 miles down to 603. It's a wonderful trail. The GHSP CG would only be a mile-ish to the AT. I'd gravitate that way, but it's all good. Check seasonal closing dates though.

The blue blaze is of course the Mount Rogers Trail running from about a quarter mile east of Grindstone CG to Deep Gap (and short spur runs directly into the Grindstone CG, but last month it was still closed due to all of the blowdowns from the April 27, 2011 tornado). From Deep Gap, going NOBO on the AT takes you to the short blue blaze to the summit of Rogers. Continuing NOBO winds around Pine Mountain and Stone Mountain then descends to cross 603 more like 2 miles east of Grindstone. Access from Hurricane looks good, too.

AO

bigcranky
09-23-2012, 19:55
Grindstone is my favorite, with Hurricane a close second. Didn't much like Raccoon Branch (sorry.) Grindstone makes a good base for a multi-day loop hike in the area.

Lone Wolf
09-23-2012, 19:56
backbone rock is the best

10-K
09-23-2012, 20:46
Hurricane Campground is one of the best places I've ever stopped. Nice hot shower, great tent sites, not far off the trail.

I almost hiked by it and am really glad I didn't.

bigcranky
09-23-2012, 21:00
Is Backbone Rock the tiny campground on top of the ridge somewhere east of Troutdale? With the only access a long FS dirt road? If so, that is one cool campground, though it's kind of remote for a place to stay the night before a hike.

Alleghanian Orogeny
09-24-2012, 17:55
Is Backbone Rock the tiny campground on top of the ridge somewhere east of Troutdale? With the only access a long FS dirt road? If so, that is one cool campground, though it's kind of remote for a place to stay the night before a hike.

Backbone Rock is along the road running south out of Damascus into TN, with the AT along the ridge to the west. It's a CG within the Cherokee NF just over the TN line from Damascus. It's a great spot, well suited for day-hikers or section hikers, but the Cherokee NF website says it's been closed most (all?) of 2012 due to water system problems. I'd love to hear from anybody who says it's good to go, if that's the case.

Foy

Lone Wolf
09-24-2012, 17:58
it's back open

bigcranky
09-25-2012, 13:38
Oh, yeah, I remember that now - very cool spot.

Alleghanian Orogeny
09-25-2012, 14:02
Oh, yeah, I remember that now - very cool spot.

The Cherokee NF website still shows "closed through 2011". I'd driven by in May of this year, about a week before Trail Days, and there were tents & camper trailers there. So, I just today phoned the Unicoi Ranger District Office for the lowdown: It's been open all 2012 season, but there has been no water available. Water comes from Damascus, and repairing the supply system is out of the NF's hands, so it hasn't happened and the NF people say there's no way to say when it will happen. The CG will close for the season on October 15, 2012.

AO

brotheral
10-02-2012, 16:42
I'm going to head over that way and someone told me that Beartree is nice. Anyone have an opinion on that..??

Lone Wolf
10-02-2012, 17:00
Beartree CG is awesome

Alleghanian Orogeny
10-02-2012, 17:53
Beartree CG is awesome

x 2--Drove through there for a look-see in August. Very nice CG.

AO

brotheral
10-02-2012, 19:29
Thanks.... I'm going to check it out. What's the EASIEST way to get there coming south on I-81 from Bluefield ??

Lone Wolf
10-02-2012, 20:14
Thanks.... I'm going to check it out. What's the EASIEST way to get there coming south on I-81 from Bluefield ??

exit 29, go left at bottom of ramp. go 12 miles to damascus on hwy. 91. in town go on hwy 58 east about 7 miles to Beartree CG entrance. you can't miss it

Gray Blazer
10-02-2012, 20:25
I'm going to head over that way and someone told me that Beartree is nice. Anyone have an opinion on that..??
Thanks, I could not remember the name of that place and it wasn't on Mapquest.

brotheral
10-03-2012, 05:59
exit 29, go left at bottom of ramp. go 12 miles to damascus on hwy. 91. in town go on hwy 58 east about 7 miles to Beartree CG entrance. you can't miss it
Thanks LW !!!

brotheral
10-06-2012, 19:38
Just returned from BearTree Campground and Grayson Highlands. Stayed on site #36 for 3 nights. Nice campground and Nice folks running it... Friday was absolutely beautiful. I parked at Massie Gap and hiked south on the A/T toward Mt Rogers. I enjoyed climbing over and through all the rocks and just sitting for awhile as many folks came through. My face looked like I fell asleep in a tanning bed this morning...I never thought about sunscreen. drrr...:eek: This is definately one of my favorite areas. :sun

Alleghanian Orogeny
10-06-2012, 21:45
My wife and two lady friends rode the VCT from Whitetop Gap back to Damascus on Friday afternoon. Said it was the Best. Ride. Ever.

AO

waywardfool
10-14-2012, 23:35
What USFS campgrounds up that way are open later in the Fall, or year round? I like Hurricane, stayed there a couple of times, but they close Oct 31. Self-contained, so don't need water/facilities.