PDA

View Full Version : Bag Option for Mid-Feb Thru

tjkenney67
09-16-2012, 07:07
Looking for some input / advise....

I will be starting my thru mid to late February. I currently have the new Big Agnes McAlpine 5 degree, dry down bag. I was contemplating also carrying a Sea to Summit Thermolite bag liner.

For sleep clothing I have Helly Hansen mid weight Merino wool base, smart wool socks and a hat. If needed I also have a Sierra Design Gnar Light jacket.

Question is... Should I carry the Thermolite bag liner or save the 14 oz's.? Thanks for your input!!!!

takethisbread
09-16-2012, 07:45
Personal preference . I'd lose it. And I'd start 3 weeks later and carry a lighter sleeping bag. Good luck.

Spokes
09-16-2012, 11:17
I started March 11 NOBO and had a 15 deg. Matmot Helium bag ( I sleep cold). Carried a silk liner too and kept it the entire way. Switched to a 40 degree LaFuma bag in Waynesboro, VA for summer then got the Marmot back in Hanover, NH.

I hated that LaFuma synthetic. Itchy scratchy piece of crap....... Compared to the Marmot down.

map man
09-16-2012, 11:45
If the liner is for extra warmth I would think that your 5 degree bag coupled with your wool sleeping clothes would keep you warm enough on the coldest nights unless you sleep incredibly cold. Do you have prior experience that leads you to believe you are a really cold sleeper?

tjkenney67
09-16-2012, 12:36
Map man...

I've always been a cold sleeper. 2 years ago I spent some time in the Hindu Kush in Afghanistan with a 0 degree bag, bivi and polypro base layers (Govt Issue). Temps ranged from 5-15 at night. I could not stay warm... My plan "B" ,would be to not take the liner, testing the bag for the first few nights. And if needed perhaps buy one at Mountain Crossings.

map man
09-16-2012, 20:44
It's good that you have enough previous experience to know that this is a legitimate concern. We're all an experiment of one, I know, but my experience is that the first thing that gets cold for me is my feet and bringing an extra pair of fleece socks to sleep in can really help. Also, a pad with good R-value helps too for us ground sleepers.

And thank you for your service to our country.

And welcome to Whiteblaze!

JJJ
09-16-2012, 23:58
I'd take it and MAYBE send it home in Hot Springs (past the Smokies) or in Damascus (past Roan) swap bags and keep the liner.

The Solemates
09-17-2012, 10:30
we started 1 Feb and had 0-degree bags. We got cold on a handful of nights. We had 6-8 nights below 10 degrees and a few nights below 0 with the windchill.

bottom line, if you think you'll want it, take it. then send it home if you dont need it.

tjkenney67
09-17-2012, 15:02
Looks like I will take to be on the safe side... Thanks for all the input. Better to be safe than sorry....

Drybones
09-17-2012, 16:41
Map man...

I've always been a cold sleeper. 2 years ago I spent some time in the Hindu Kush in Afghanistan with a 0 degree bag, bivi and polypro base layers (Govt Issue). Temps ranged from 5-15 at night. I could not stay warm... My plan "B" ,would be to not take the liner, testing the bag for the first few nights. And if needed perhaps buy one at Mountain Crossings.

Be sure you have the proper insulation under you, a 5 degree bag is only a 30 degree bag if you have only a 30 degree pad under you.

wornoutboots
09-17-2012, 16:51
+1 on taking it since you have experience. Thank you for for serving Our Nation!!