PDA

View Full Version : Maps, Books, and Relos

dmperkins74
09-16-2012, 09:36
Hey fellow hikers,

I was looking at my books / maps and realizing several of them are pretty out of date. I'm wondering, how old is too old to be reliable. I don't know how often there are relos on the AT, or how big / many there are in general, so am concerned that I'll plan hikes on outdated info. Hasn't happened yet, but still a concern.

This leads to my 2nd thought / question. There should be a site that simply lists all relos! I didn't do an exhaustive search, but a precursory survey of the internet yielded no good results. Anybody know of a good resource that lists (chronologically by section) AT relos?

Any thoughts appreciated,
Dan P (AlphaPig)

yellowsirocco
09-16-2012, 10:26
My map set is 10 years old (and each section releases new maps at different times so 10 years is really the minimum age in my set) and they have been OK this year, but I have realized they are getting a little on the unreliable side. I decided next year I am getting postholers set.

It all depends on how long of a hike you are out for. The shorter the hike the easier it is to double check your info beforehand.

perrito
09-16-2012, 15:19
Check out AWOL's "The A.T. Guide (http://www.amazon.com/T-Guide-2012-David-Miller/dp/0979708125/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347823410&sr=1-1&keywords=the+a.t.+guide+2012)" for $16. If I were in your position, I'd think about how much it'd be worth to have up-to-date information WHEN I was in a bind.

tdoczi
09-16-2012, 16:43
the ATC website lists recent relocations, but doesnt have an exhaustive list of every relo ever. i imagine such a thing would be come uselessly huge with a few years.

Moose2001
09-16-2012, 16:52
The relos usually aren't huge. Shouldn't be a big problem with old data. The biggest issue might be what hostels/resturants/campgrounds are open or have closed.