PDA

View Full Version : First Fall Overnight

BryanE
09-16-2012, 12:01
Hello all. I am about to do my first fall overnight in a couple of days. I'll be heading up to the Superior Hiking Trail in northern Minnesota for 4 days and 3 nights. I've never camped in fall before so I have a little more gear that I need to get. I don't have any sweaters that I could take on the trail. So far I just have a short-sleeve and a long-sleeve hiking shirt, both suited for summer. I was thinking about getting the following:

Polypro longjohns (bring regular underwear as well?)
Nylon running shorts (might already have, or bring my REI hiking pants?)
Polyester or fleece long-sleeve
Short-sleeve hiking shirt (already have)
Down vest?
Cap
Hiking socks and wool sleeping socks (already have, although sleeping socks are huge)
Light gloves or wrist warmers?

I would love to stay warm. It's projected to get down to 38 I think (with highs up near 70), and some chance of rain all the time. I have a 20* synthetic sleeping bag. Or it's in the mail anyway, so I really hope it gets here. How does my clothes list look? I really appreciate any help.

Smooth & Wasabi
09-16-2012, 20:21
Looks good. If your bag is accurately rated I would think you would be fine with the base layer, a fleece, beanie, and gloves. Of course a down vest would keep you extra toasty hanging out in camp. It depends a little on your internal furnace and comfort tolerances so since you haven't camped in cool weather I guess I would say take an extra layer if you are worried. Forget the regular underwear, 10$ gets you synthetic boxer briefs from the big box stores money well spent. Do you have rain gear? Sounds like you have some ideal temperatures have fun.

BryanE
09-17-2012, 19:30
Well the 20* bag is being delivered the day I leave (Wednesday) so I hope it isn't late. I went out and got a nice warm polyester shirt, some longjohns, and a cap. I hope I should be fine. I keep checking the low temperatures and now they're saying 34 on one night. I don't really have any extra layers that I can take besides a winter down coat and my pack is already very heavy. I may need to end up taking it though. Otherwise I might bring my stove (was going to go stoveless) and boil some water and sleep with a hot Nalgene at night.

BlakeGrice
09-17-2012, 21:41
boil water put it in bottle, put in bottom of sleeping bag for added warmth if necessary.

BlakeGrice
09-17-2012, 21:42
nevermind you just said that lol

BryanE
09-18-2012, 00:11
Yeah, that's probably what I'll end up doing. It's just a shame because I was hoping not to bring my stove because my pack is so heavy already. I already have all my food and I don't need my stove for any of it. So it'd be a shame to bring a Whisperlite + fuel bottle just to boil water, but hey, if it keeps my alive and comfortable I guess it'd be worth the extra 2 or so pounds. I am planning on switching to an alcohol stove (especially since I've been having a devil of a time keeping the WL lit), but I don't have time to make or buy one before I head out.

They changed the predicted low again, now it's 34* one night. It happens every time I check it. I should probably knock it off or it'll be below 0 by the time I get up there. :rolleyes: