PDA

View Full Version : Trail\User name stories What is yours?

slow mind
09-16-2012, 12:18
http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.png
I'm sure this thread has been done here before so delete this or move it if nedded.

Well.. my "name" comes from what is likley the most valuable lesson learned from shorthanded sailing and hiking over long distances. It is all too easy to become wound up in the "what if's" and "just in cases" and lose the reason why you are out there.
I am reminded of a tale in which a snack in a pocket overcame the splendor of the day.

A friend, who I suspect thinks I spend too much time in the bush, loaned me Bill Bryson's, A Walk in the Woods, the author's account of his hike along the length of the Appalachian Trail - some 2200 miles. I'm still in Georgia, he is following spring north, but I get the drift - the bush is a scary place, laden with weirdoes and woollies. He's good humored about it, it's a very funny book, but the message is clear - one enters into natures realm at one's risk. He has a particular fetish about black bears, devoting most of an early chapter to his scrupulous research of bears feasting on unwary wanderers. It seems they are particularly fond of Snicker bar carriers. That got my attention - I almost always tuck an emergency ration Snicker bar in my pocket when I boot up for the bush.

So, yesterday, when I set aside good sense, and yielded to the sirens luring me to snow capped Mt Baldy, I left the Snickers in camp. Of course, the odds of encountering a Keweenaw black bear in February are no better than my fortune in the Packer pools, but with the warmth of this winter, one never knows. Perhaps lured from his or her den by the appearance, or maybe the reality, of winter ending, stomach growling from too much fasting, pa or ma bear might be out looking for someone to eat. The pickings are pretty slim in February - not many tasty bipedals wandering about this time of year. Under these meager circumstances, even an old geezer like me might look pretty tempting.

I think Bryson is a bit paranoid about all this canine chomping, but his research is compelling. I once thought that if accosted by a bear, one could avoid the inevitable by playing dead. Bryson says that only sometimes work with grizzlies (who seemingly are in it for the hunt), never with black bears. Black bears, the kind we have, are harvesters, compulsive nibblers. Of course, no one I know has ever been eaten by a bear, nor is spooky story telling time around late night beach fires laced with bear attack stories, but perhaps the subject is taboo. Would anyone ever confess that a bear had eaten a kin or acquaintance? Such accounts would also surely put a damper on our tourist trade, perhaps resulting in the closing of our beloved Harbor inn. The Gazette is ominously quiet on the subject.

So I properly prepared myself for yesterday's trek. No sweet smelling soap for my morning shower; fresh unscented clothing for warmth; coat pockets and gloves combed for evidence of cookie or old Snicker bar crumbs. I even substituted plain old water for my usual bottle of sugary Coke. I equipped myself with a sturdy and sharp pointed old ski pole, thinking I might, so armed, be a match for an emaciated bear. As a last resort strategy, I tucked a couple of granola bars, laced with my most powerful angina painkillers, into a tightly sealed plastic bag. This might serve as an alternative snack item for the hungry bear, allowing me a few moments of idle chatter with my adversary as the drug took effect - then stealing away as the bear went into the land of Oz.

Well, as is evident by the happy event of my being here to write this account, I managed to spend several hours in the spring-tinged winter bush without becoming an entr�e at a bear feast. Whether the result of my careful preparation, or the absence of fuzzy diners, I know not. I suppose one might question the basic premise, the bear's propensity for people snacks. Bryson is careful to note that the incidence of bears dining on their superior specie is rare, but I suppose if I shared that bit of knowledge with a bear about to chomp on my nicely toned pot belly, the bear would simply say, "So this is my lucky day!"

My trek, while uneventful as a dining experience, was not without some misfortune. As I ambled back to camp, my own hunger pains beginning to mount, I absentmindedly reached into my pocket, pulled out a delicious looking granola bar, and chomped it down. Ten minutes later I was bathing in Cedar Creek, unable to keep my balance as I attempted to cross the creek by walking along a downed tree - a trick of little consequence a few hours earlier. I bet the stalking bears thought it funny. "

So anyhow,
Slow down the mind not the body, When in the bush the moment at hand will ,without exeption,never be re-vistited under any circumstances. Live in the now and contemplate later at another time.
That is what inspired Slow Mind

slow mind
09-16-2012, 12:44
Writing credit to a dearly missed friend:
http://eagleharborweb.net/

HikerMom58
09-16-2012, 12:44
Hum... interesting story Slow Mind. My name is not that exciting at all. I'm HikerMom because I'm a hiker & a hiker's mom. KD is my intials. My trail name is Angel b/c when I'm not hiking I like to reach out to hikers with free shuttles, ramdom acts of kindness etc.. Everyone that hikes with me says that my trail name suits me but my daughter said I should be "Spanish Inquisition". I love meeting new people & I'm interested in "their story". I ask lots of questions just because I'm interested in them. If you don't want to share, I'm really good at picking up on "vibes" so I don't push for "stories" if the person doesn't want to share.... that's my "name" story.

Odd Man Out
09-16-2012, 12:53
I picked my user name as it implies that person who is left off the team. Right now my personal situation isn't allowing me time for long distance hiking. But sometime in the future I hope I will, at which point I either won't fit in with everyone else and still be the "odd man out" or people might just think I am and an odd man out on the trail, or if nothing else, it rhymes with my real name ( ___odd man out). Multiple meanings.

rich5665
09-16-2012, 13:01
My user name is a combination of my first name and my birth date. My trail name fishbait was given ro me by my niece. While discussing my upcoming hike during vacation, ny wifes aunt asked what my trail name was. I said I don't have one yet and my niece chimed in, "Well they should call you Fishbait".

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

Virginia Archer
09-17-2012, 20:48
Screen Name - Well I'm from Virginia and Shot competitive Archery from 01 till 2010. I go by Archer or VA Archer for alot of things, But still open to a Trail name. Haven't been given one just yet and haven't decided whether or not to just stick with Archer!

Papa D
09-17-2012, 21:47
When I thru-hiked, I had a very bad trail name - I never liked it. It was boring and very generic. If anyone wants to P/M me, I'll tell you what it was - - it's how I'm listed in the ATC record. I spent a long time after my thru-hike doing other outdoor things - especially rock climbing and mountaineering - - backpacking and camping was usually just an adjunct to a rock climbing or sometimes a whitewater kayaking trip. At some point (about 2009) I re-affirmed my desire to just hike - especially to hike long distances - - I would often do over 100 miles on the AT and other trails in a week but didn't use my old trail name.
For a number of years I also ran outdoor programs for teenagers - mostly subcontracting to a particular summer camp but at other times through a climbing guide service or occasionally running my own gigs. When I hit my early to mid 40s, I took a little too much pride in the fact that I could almost always outpace 15,16, and 17 year old kids - I could typically run as fast or faster, swim faster, climb harder, etc. and probably acted like I thought I was just another one of the kids a little too much. A very savvy 15 year old girl named Rachel (a.k.a. Moose) picked up on this and started calling me Papa D as a dig (kind of like ok, PAPA - you old man). It was really very funny and they started calling me that. It seemed like a good fit and being a long-distance AT hiker and former thru-hiker in need of a new trail-name, I adopted it on the Long Trail in 2010.

drifter
09-17-2012, 22:00
Hey, I'm Drifter - close to finishing my career of 30+ years behind a desk but managed to fly or"drift" hot air balloons for 26 years in my spare time before giving it up in 2004 to return to my boyhood passion of hiking.

jakedatc
09-17-2012, 22:16
Got named Speedy by the AT northbounder Video who I hiked the first 100mi or so of the Long trail with while he was on the AT. I would either beat him to wherever we were going or catch up quickly if I stopped for something. He'd always tell me "get up front Speedy, you're faster"

Theosus
09-18-2012, 06:53
Use this name for everything. It was my dungeons and dragons character in the 80s, and I almost never run into the problem of it being used already. It's an Internet name, I don't have a trail name.

Velvet Gooch
09-18-2012, 07:07
I'd have to show you

Thirsty DPD
09-18-2012, 08:47
Insatiable thirst, given by my brother on PA section, 1978. (Added initials for user name, Thirsty was already issued.) For many years Thirsty defined me. Not that anyone is interested, pic was taken in Cooperstown, NY, headwaters of the Susquehanna. This spring I finished my bucket list thru paddle of the Susquehanna to Havre de Grace, MD, on the Chesapeake, 444 miles, 9.5 days.

Prime Time
09-18-2012, 09:12
I chose Prime Time for my user name because next year I plan on doing a thru hike. It's prime time for me because I will turn 60, I'm retired, and I've had my entire adult life to dream about having the time, resources, and support of loved ones to hike the AT. I've kept myself in pretty good shape and spent a lifetime hiking and backpacking through the White Mountains of New Hampshire where I have had the opportunity to talk with and spend time with thru hikers every summer who always encourage and inspire me to go for it.

WalksInDark
09-19-2012, 20:25
I got my trail name because no matter how early I start off...or how short the hike is supposed to be most of the time some part of the hike will take place in the dark. Even when I have the choice, I much prefer to do some of my hiking at night using a red beam headlight...that way I get to see more of the critters!

Gray Blazer
09-19-2012, 21:01
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/travis_viii_749.jpg​.............................. ..

Different Socks
09-19-2012, 23:26
My user/trail name is how I dress my feet. Began doing it years ago b4 I did my thru and was looking for a name for the trail. An old GF noticed my feet one day on a hike in NH and suggested the name. I liked it and have had it on all long hikes ever since.
Have yet to meet or hear of any other hiker with same trail name.

Whack-a-mole
09-19-2012, 23:51
My trail name and user name are the same. It came from an episode with a flip-flop and a mouse at Lance Creek in Ga. I'll let you figure it out.

Llama Legs
09-20-2012, 09:19
It seemed like every time I went backpacking on the AT with my buddy Walter, we'd get hit with a blizzard or ice storm or some such calamity. One trip he was reading a copy of "The Road" while we were stuck in the shelter. From then on he has been known as "Donner Party" :rolleyes:

HikerMom58
09-20-2012, 09:32
It seemed like every time I went backpacking on the AT with my buddy Walter, we'd get hit with a blizzard or ice storm or some such calamity. One trip he was reading a copy of "The Road" while we were stuck in the shelter. From then on he has been known as "Donner Party" :rolleyes:

Interesting... but inquiring minds want to know why you are called Llama Legs... :p

Train Wreck
09-20-2012, 11:36
My trail name and user name are the same. It came from an episode with a flip-flop and a mouse at Lance Creek in Ga. I'll let you figure it out.

Did you win one of those cheap carnival prizes? :D

markc7
09-20-2012, 13:49
I was attacked by a hawk outside of Caratunk. It dive-bombed me several times as I ran away swearing..

Creek Dancer
09-20-2012, 15:21
Got my name after several hilarious and clumsy failed attempts at water crossings. My hiking partner said that he had never seen anyone move quite like that! So, although my name sounds like I have dexterity, the truth is I have none. This name is waaaayy better than what they originally wanted to call me, which was Gear ****. They thought was appropriate because I have ALOT of backpacking gear.

Llama Legs
09-20-2012, 15:51
Later in the same summer that I did a New Mexico llama trek with my wife, I was on the backpacking staff at the White Mountains High Adventure Base (BSA). The gang there nicknamed me Llama Legs once they saw my skinny, hairy legs hiking in running shorts. I only consider it half mocking, as llama are very capable hikers!

Alleghanian Orogeny
09-20-2012, 17:42
Students of geology learn that mountain-building episodes in the geologic record are referred to as orogenies. To distinguish one orogeny from another, they're given names which correspond to geographical areas where the characteristics of the orogeny are well-displayed. In NY-New England, the Taconic Range is the place name for the Taconic Orogeny. In the central and southern appalachians, the Alleghany Mountains are the parallel ridges on the western side of the Shenandoah Valley. The Alleghany ridges are mostly hard sandstone of Silurian age, folded up like a loaf of sandwich bread, and faulted extensively into several large imbricate "sheets", so that the stratigraphic sequence is repeated several times as one travels in a east-west fashion. The compressive forces which folded and thrust-faulted the Appalachian Basin sedimentary rocks into the shape they are in today was the collision of the African continent and the North American continent, good old plate tectonics in action. In essence, the Alleghanian Orogeny was the mountain-building event which, after modification by erosion, gave the central and southern Appalachians their shape. The AT follows the Silurian sandstones on the segment between Marion, VA and Roanoke, VA, and gets back on them with a vengeance in northeastern PA, the notorious rocky portion of the trail.

My screen name thus observes and speaks to the very formation of the mountains the AT traverses.

AO

HikerMom58
09-20-2012, 18:27
Later in the same summer that I did a New Mexico llama trek with my wife, I was on the backpacking staff at the White Mountains High Adventure Base (BSA). The gang there nicknamed me Llama Legs once they saw my skinny, hairy legs hiking in running shorts. I only consider it half mocking, as llama are very capable hikers!

LOL... that is very funny but I'm sure those legs are VERY capable!

I'm loving this thread... I wish everyone would comment on here... so interesting! :)

Alleghanian Orogeny... I love ur name but I understand why I wasn't a good student of geology. AWESOME!!!

Spokes
09-20-2012, 18:59
I bicycled cross-country solo on the TransAmerica Trail the year before my thru......

www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/ibikefar

Hairbear
09-20-2012, 19:54
ive had the name hairbear since i was in the seventh grade,ever since we were all playing basketball at a friends house,and went inside to cool off .my friend turned on the tv(thats all you had to do then as we seldom had more than 1 channel),and the cartoon the hair bear bunch came on.we were watching and out comes this bear with a tie dyed head band,and this giant afro,of couse they all looked at me with the snot rolling laughter that kids love so much.ive been hair bear ever since,still have the fro cant help it,even in my half grey stage in life its still flyin.ive alway told people that its my wild spirt venting out the top,not many have doubted it lol.

ChinMusic
09-20-2012, 20:14
I backpack with a violin....

BradMT
09-20-2012, 20:26
I was born... 1961. My parents named me "Brad." Since they called me that all the time, it stuck. Weird.

Papa D
09-20-2012, 20:55
a little off topic but for a few years I've seen posts in shelter registers by LAZER LEGS. He signs his name with sort of a lightening bolt style signature which has always led me to believe that he was a very fast and nimble
hiker. Lazer Legs is actually thru-hiking this year for the first time. I met him at Lake of the Clouds Hut in July. It's funny because though he is certainly getting the trail done, he is a skinny dude about 60 years old and I
don't think many would regard him as fast. He's a funny little man though - I was happy to meet him (finally) but I did think his trail name was akin to a mouse calling himself a monster - funny. Once upon a time there was
a thru-hiker named Sheba Queen of the Jungle - all the thru hiking pink blazers wanted to catch up - - Sheba turned out to be a dude.

HikerMom58
09-20-2012, 21:31
I love this... I always wondered about Spokes.. makes sense. :) I guessed right on ChinMusic.. my hubby plays the violin 2. I heard part of the Hairbear's name story- great to hear the whole thing... LOL!! Good one, Brad.. :) Creek dancer... :) Dive Bomber is good... *yikes* Wack a mole... that makes sense as well... I always snickered when I saw your name. Papa D... I was always curious about your name 2... :) I can't remember all the ones from the 1st page but I've found them all interesting... this isn't my thread but I'm loving it. Thanks to the OP for starting this one... GREAT THREAD!! If I could put likes or "thumbs up" on everyone's comments I would... Papa D's last post is funny 2.

Rasty
09-20-2012, 22:45
User name is Rasty. No trail name. Some Ding-Dong's here abbreviated my original user name. I like it.

It's better to be Rasty then Nasty!:D

Different Socks
09-20-2012, 23:22
When I did my thru, there was a female hiker with the name Atomic Chili. She was given the name after having eaten a can of chili and the end result was a case of Montezuma Revenge for 4 days.

perrito
09-20-2012, 23:28
My screen name, perrito, is Spanish for "little dog" which I've used since 9/11 in honor of the forum members of the "Little White Dog" website who showed so much concern for me during that difficult time.
http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-16.html

HikerMom58
09-21-2012, 14:40
User name is Rasty. No trail name. Some Ding-Dong's here abbreviated my original user name. I like it.

It's better to be Rasty then Nasty!:D

Aww... Rasty... we could never call u Nasty. I like your abbreviated name as well. It's easier to type for one thing :p

Different Socks... I thought your name was your socks you wore- different. :) Atomic chilli sounds "dangerous"... poor girl!! LOL

Perrito is spanish for "little dog".... humm.. I learned something new! :) I'm having too much fun with this thread... I wonder where simple mind is?....

ChinMusic
09-21-2012, 15:13
I love this... :) I guessed right on ChinMusic.. my hubby plays the violin 2.

blue font........

-SEEKER-
09-21-2012, 15:16
My trail name is -SEEKER-, because that is the reason I started section hiking the AT. I was looking for something that was missing in my life.

chief
09-21-2012, 18:49
Been called Chief since 1982, when I was first promoted to Chief Engineer. People who worked for me called me Chief. Higher ups in the company called me Chief. Since about 1996 my friends call me Chief. When I hiked in 2000 other hikers called me, you can guess. Not many people know my real name. Fine by me!

slow mind
09-21-2012, 19:16
This is great thanks to all replies!

Capt Nat
09-21-2012, 20:20
When I retired, I moved aboard a sailboat and spent 5 years drinking my way around the islands getting out of shape and unhealthy. By the time I came ashore, I resembled a shipwreck. Capt. Nat has kinda stuck...

HikerMom58
09-21-2012, 20:36
blue font........

I don't know how to change the color to blue... Mr. blue font. ;)

My trail name is -SEEKER-, because that is the reason I started section hiking the AT. I was looking for something that was missing in my life.

Seek, and you will find. Knock and the door will be opened... I'm hoping that you found what you are seeking for...:)

slow mind
09-21-2012, 20:38
Aww... Rasty... we could never call u Nasty. I like your abbreviated name as well. It's easier to type for one thing :p

I'm having too much fun with this thread... I wonder where simple mind is?....

I was On Isle Royale for a few days with my new and bargain priced sleeping bag!!!! Thanks for thinking of me!;)

HikerMom58
09-21-2012, 20:44
Been called Chief since 1982, when I was first promoted to Chief Engineer. People who worked for me called me Chief. Higher ups in the company called me Chief. Since about 1996 my friends call me Chief. When I hiked in 2000 other hikers called me, you can guess. Not many people know my real name. Fine by me!

Humm.....that's interesting, Chief. I like the name Chief but now, I WANT to know ur real name.... not many people know. :( Can you give us a hint at least?

This is great thanks to all replies!

Slow mind... there you are!! What a great thread idea!! :)

HikerMom58
09-21-2012, 20:52
When I retired, I moved aboard a sailboat and spent 5 years drinking my way around the islands getting out of shape and unhealthy. By the time I came ashore, I resembled a shipwreck. Capt. Nat has kinda stuck...

I see... I'm glad you aren't shipwrecked anymore... :) Do you still sail from time to time? Are you planning a thru- hike soon?

slow mind
09-21-2012, 21:03
Arrgh Capt. Nat.... I too am a sailor, Lived on my boat last summer for a 4 month nort shore cruise in Canada (Lk Superior) I hear the about cocktail hour.... seems like it happens too often on a sailboat but this is thread adrift so I'll stop

coach lou
09-21-2012, 21:22
I have coached Ice hockey since 1980. My last group of players was in 2002. I have also been a referee since '80',, which I still do. Many of my former players have coached their own children. 2 have played in the NHL. 1 is the Womens Varsity coach at Yale University. My favorite time to hike is fall/winter.....hockey season! Back in the '90's, raising and coaching my son I could'nt squeeze hiking/backpacking in anymore, it became a bi-annual thing, then annual, then never. In '02' I went with my nephew on a 50 mile section of the Long Trail. Still did'nt bite me back. Last October my new wife 'Overload' and I did a short walk into Sages Ravine.......and here I am. My ref scheduler sends me nasty e-mails about my hiking conflicting with my reffing. My fishing partner is really mad 'cause he doesn't want to backpack, he is looking at a Class C motor home!

chief
09-21-2012, 21:44
Humm.....that's interesting, Chief. I like the name Chief but now, I WANT to know ur real name.... not many people know. :( Can you give us a hint at least?Sorry, WANT doesn't cut it. Need to know only, though I might be persuaded with cash.

Northern Lights
09-21-2012, 22:18
I've posted this before, but for those that don't know. My first trip on the AT I met Sparkstofire and Buttercup and we leap frogged most of the day. During breaks I told them where I was from and when I arrived at the first shelter they were there and called me over to set up camp with them. They asked me if there were Northern Lights where I was and I said yes. They said that was my trail name. I wasn't to sure about it at first, but I ended up liking it. When I got home after that trip, I was walking past my favorite picture of two wolves on a hill with the Northern Lights above. The title of the picture is Northern Lights. So I figured it was meant to be :)

HikerMom58
09-21-2012, 22:43
I have coached Ice hockey since 1980. My last group of players was in 2002. I have also been a referee since '80',, which I still do. Many of my former players have coached their own children. 2 have played in the NHL. 1 is the Womens Varsity coach at Yale University. My favorite time to hike is fall/winter.....hockey season! Back in the '90's, raising and coaching my son I could'nt squeeze hiking/backpacking in anymore, it became a bi-annual thing, then annual, then never. In '02' I went with my nephew on a 50 mile section of the Long Trail. Still did'nt bite me back. Last October my new wife 'Overload' and I did a short walk into Sages Ravine.......and here I am. My ref scheduler sends me nasty e-mails about my hiking conflicting with my reffing. My fishing partner is really mad 'cause he doesn't want to backpack, he is looking at a Class C motor home!

I love this info about you, Coach Lou!! :) Very interesting and it's cleared up many questions that I had about you. ;) And you are really good friends with Hikerboy and go out hiking with him as well. Right?

Ice Hockey is a great sport!! We HAD a team in Roanoke but not anymore! :( VERY INTERESTING!! :)

Sorry, WANT doesn't cut it. Need to know only, though I might be persuaded with cash.

AHHHH Chief- you drive a hard bargin!! Yes, inquiring minds NEED to know... cash just won't work! ;) We need some hints...

HikerMom58
09-21-2012, 22:45
I've posted this before, but for those that don't know. My first trip on the AT I met Sparkstofire and Buttercup and we leap frogged most of the day. During breaks I told them where I was from and when I arrived at the first shelter they were there and called me over to set up camp with them. They asked me if there were Northern Lights where I was and I said yes. They said that was my trail name. I wasn't to sure about it at first, but I ended up liking it. When I got home after that trip, I was walking past my favorite picture of two wolves on a hill with the Northern Lights above. The title of the picture is Northern Lights. So I figured it was meant to be :)

I agree with you.. it's meant to be. :) Where are you from?

Northern Lights
09-22-2012, 00:46
I agree with you.. it's meant to be. :) Where are you from?
<-----Cambridge Bay Nunavut, Canada, look up, waaaaaaaaay up :)

chief
09-22-2012, 01:10
AHHHH Chief- you drive a hard bargin!! Yes, inquiring minds NEED to know... cash just won't work! ;) We need some hints...Okay no cash, I just received my award letter from SS so I'm feeling pretty rich these days. I mention SS because they NEEDED my name, you on the other hand are merely curious. See how that works?

Angle
09-22-2012, 20:56
I was given the trail name Iceman this summer by Sunshine. I pulled up to the trail head at Swatara Gap as she and Balls came out of the woods. She had fallen and fractured her arm south of Rausch Gap. I had a cooler with ice for her arm and a ice cold orange crush for her to drink.

HikerMom58
09-22-2012, 22:55
<-----Cambridge Bay Nunavut, Canada, look up, waaaaaaaaay up :)

:cool:

I was given the trail name Iceman this summer by Sunshine. I pulled up to the trail head at Swatara Gap as she and Balls came out of the woods. She had fallen and fractured her arm south of Rausch Gap. I had a cooler with ice for her arm and a ice cold orange crush for her to drink.

Nice ...Is Sunshine on this site? I think I've seen a Sunshine on here. Anywho, you're an angel... angle.

Chief... I see how that works ;) You drive a hard bargain... I'll have to think of another way to try to convince you of my NEED to know....LOL!

Gillum
09-23-2012, 07:55
I've been called Gillum since as long as I can remember. It's a derivation of my last name and my love for fishing (I live in CT and fish the LI Sound when I am not on the trail). I have answered to other trail names over the years: Snaker and Shocker but some names just stick with you! It's come to the point that I use my trail name when making a dinner reservation!