PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation -3/4 inflatable mattress

Cozy
09-17-2012, 12:39
Hi. I need recommendations for a 3/4 inflatable mattress pad.

I have tried closed cell mattresses and a 1" Themarest inflatable mattress but they don't work for me because I'm a side sleeper. My hipbone goes through them and I can feel the ground (ouch!). I have the Neo Air Trekker 20" x 72" that inflates 2.5 inches, all at 1.4 lbs. I love it. However, at 5' 3", the mattress is long for me and I'd like to cut the 1.4 lb. weight for an upcoming backpacking trip. Themarest makes a 3/4 mattress but it's 25" X 47" at 1 lb. but I don't need a wider mattress.

I saw the Nemo Astro Air Short at 20"x48", 2.5 inches inflated, all at 14 ounces.

1) Does anyone have any experience with the Nemo Astro Air Short? It doesn't say what season pad it is for.

2) Anyone have any recommendation for a 3/4 length inflatable mattress pad?

Thanks in advance.

Cozy
09-17-2012, 12:48
Ok, I was able to locate it. The Nemo Astro short is a 3 season pad. Would still like to hear anyone's experiences with it.

Odd Man Out
09-17-2012, 13:40
The Threm-aRest NeoAir XLite is very popular. The short is 47' long by 20' wide and 2.5" thick when inflated. It's R value is 3.2 and weighs in at a whopping 8 oz. Is this what you are looking for?

Buffalo Skipper
09-17-2012, 14:03
The Threm-aRest NeoAir XLite is very popular. The short is 47' long by 20' wide and 2.5" thick when inflated. It's R value is 3.2 and weighs in at a whopping 8 oz. Is this what you are looking for?

My son used this exact pad on a 12-day trek in New Mexico this past summer. We talked about it at lenght last night and he very much likes it. They are not cheap, but they are light and 2.5" when inflated, plenty for a side sleeper.

colorado_rob
09-17-2012, 16:00
Shop around for the old model (non-Xlite version) NeoAir 3/4 length. Only 1.5 ounces heavier (9.5 ounces) slightly less R value, but much less expensive. I just bought a 2nd one for $79 online, maybe campmore, I can check tonight if you're interested, but just google it if you're interested.

StealthHikerBoy
09-17-2012, 16:10
One to think about is the Women's Neo Air X-Lite. R value is 3.9 and it is 11 ounces. It is a little narrow at 20 inches, and is 66 inches long. It was very crinkly the first few nights I used it, and now it is quiet.

I got the women's version (I'm a guy) because I wanted a good R value (I sleep cold) and even though I am about 6' tall, 66 inches is about what I want. I just wish it was 24 inches wide, but you are a bit smaller so it might be a good choice.

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/womens-neoair-xlite/product

Odd Man Out
09-17-2012, 16:36
One to think about is the Women's Neo Air X-Lite. R value is 3.9 and it is 11 ounces. It is a little narrow at 20 inches, and is 66 inches long. It was very crinkly the first few nights I used it, and now it is quiet.

I never noticed that the Woman's has a higher R value. I like how their web site says they add another layer of insulation with no weight (matter with no mass - violates the laws of science). But it doesn't add a lot, since the weight to length ration of the woman's is almoste exactly the same as the short and medium. I agree the length is a good option for us 6 footers. I think they are making a mistake marketing this to women only.

Cozy
09-17-2012, 17:29

I think that's excellent but the only problem with the mattress is the "crinkling" noise. I'm afraid I may take out my Bears Gryll knife out in the middle of the knife and jab it. (Just kidding).

The reviews on this mattress (and the women's version) say that the sides of the mattress will fold in if you go lean on it, making it really an 18 inch mattress.

Cozy
09-17-2012, 17:32
The company called me back. They do not do a R-value on the pads. I've seen the Nemo Astro short's advertised as a 3 season but in other places they don't. The company says it's rated 35-45 degrees. I can get more for the "insulated Nemo Astro" but unfortunately, it doesn't come in "short" or 3/4 length. Bummer.

Cozy
09-17-2012, 17:33
Does the crinkling go away. That'll drive me nuts. :)

Cozy
09-17-2012, 17:48

I got the women's version (I'm a guy) because I wanted a good R value (I sleep cold) and even though I am about 6' tall, 66 inches is about what I want. I just wish it was 24 inches wide, but you are a bit smaller so it might be a good choice.

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/womens-neoair-xlite/product

How is the durability of it? The exterior seems extremely thin.

Cozy
09-17-2012, 17:49
Shop around for the old model (non-Xlite version) NeoAir 3/4 length. Only 1.5 ounces heavier (9.5 ounces) slightly less R value, but much less expensive. I just bought a 2nd one for $79 online, maybe campmore, I can check tonight if you're interested, but just google it if you're interested.

Thanks, Colorado Rob.

Cozy
09-17-2012, 18:16

You're right. It's on Campmor. Does this one have the annoying crinkling noise?

StealthHikerBoy
09-17-2012, 18:43
How is the durability of it? The exterior seems extremely thin.

Regarding how crinkly it is... it was very crinkly at first. I can't say why, but after a few nights on it, that has largely gone away.

It is hard to say how fragile and durable it is. I have probably slept on it 15 nights now without any issues. It doesn't seem bombproof, and I'd say the old style Neo Air I have definitely seems to have thicker material and be more solid and resistant to puncture. I guess anytime we go with one of these we are running some risk of puncturing it, but I am not all that careful and have luckily not had an issue yet.

jeffmeh
09-17-2012, 18:44
Exped Synmat UL7 in S is 64x20x2.8 inches, R value of 3.1, 15.2 oz. Not as short as you want perhaps, but a very high quality pad IME.

colorado_rob
09-17-2012, 19:25
You're right. It's on Campmor. Does this one have the annoying crinkling noise? Less so than the new ones, another reason why I bought a second one (I now have two 3/4 length "old" model ones). The new ones also seem less durable, but that's just a perception. I really don't notice the crinkly noise on mine. Again, the R-value on the older ones is maybe 2 or 2.5. I only use these for 3-season trips where pad R-value is not that important to me, at least.

colorado_rob
09-17-2012, 19:26
By the way, a lot of my pals use that Exped UL7 and love it and swear by it. I'm fine with the lighter NeoAir myself though.

Odd Man Out
09-17-2012, 19:52
The reviews on this mattress (and the women's version) say that the sides of the mattress will fold in if you go lean on it, making it really an 18 inch mattress.

But I would think with round tubes running the length of the mattress (as in an Exped) you would also lose a couple of inches on the edge. It's too bad they don't make a short/wide version of the X-lite. I seem to recall someone took advantage of the tubes running side to side to come up with a way to cut a NeoAir shorter. Is there a link for that? I wonder if that would be a way to get an short/wide (and admittedly expensive) NeoAir.

Cozy
09-17-2012, 21:07
But I would think with round tubes running the length of the mattress (as in an Exped) you would also lose a couple of inches on the edge. It's too bad they don't make a short/wide version of the X-lite. I seem to recall someone took advantage of the tubes running side to side to come up with a way to cut a NeoAir shorter. Is there a link for that? I wonder if that would be a way to get an short/wide (and admittedly expensive) NeoAir.

I wish there was a way I could cut my Neo Air Trekker at the bottom by 12 inches, roll up the end, sew it, and seam seal....but I'm too afraid to try. :)

Deacon
09-17-2012, 21:16
By the way, a lot of my pals use that Exped UL7 and love it and swear by it. I'm fine with the lighter NeoAir myself though.

I just bought an Exped Synmat UL7, 26" x 77", 21 oz. AND a Neoair. I am going to send one of these back, but not sure which.

The Exped is amazingly comfortable, but not sure I'm willing to carry the extra ounces. I'm used to the comfort of a hammock but want to do some tent hiking. I'm leaning toward...well I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandy of PA
09-17-2012, 21:24
I shortened a NeoAir 4 season large because I wanted the 25inch width but a shorter pad. You don't sew it you cut it, and make a new seal with a iron. The video was on You Tube. I googled "how to shorten a NeoAir" to find it. Warranty is now void, but mine has been used for 7 weeks straight without a hint of a leak.

Cozy
09-17-2012, 23:15
I shortened a NeoAir 4 season large because I wanted the 25inch width but a shorter pad. You don't sew it you cut it, and make a new seal with a iron. The video was on You Tube. I googled "how to shorten a NeoAir" to find it. Warranty is now void, but mine has been used for 7 weeks straight without a hint of a leak.

Sandy, I just watched the video. No glue or anything. Just cut and iron. Amazing.
I wonder if it'll work with my green Neo Trekker.

HooKooDooKu
09-18-2012, 13:27
Based on the reviews I've read and what I've seen in the stores, the orginal NeoAir seemed to have a surface material that would make a crinkling noise. But the newer NeoAir XLite (i.e. 2nd generation) do not have a crinkly surface. The only thing that can crinkle in them is the reflective layers that are inside the pad.

Based on my personal experience with the NeoAir XLite (I bought the 25" wide version), if you have it inflated enough, you won't get any crinkling noise, even as a side sleeper. That might mean a firmer mattrise than is suitable to everyone, so I think the issue of the noise with the XLite is going to be based on the personal preference for how firm/soft you want the mattrise inflated.

Odd Man Out
09-18-2012, 16:58

I wonder if this would work with the newer XLite version. The video shows this trick with the original.