PDA

View Full Version : Lightheart Gear Solo Tent question.

NCMedic
09-17-2012, 15:03
OK, So I am looking for some information about the LightHeart Gear Solo and Wedge tents. After looking at the vast array of tents from TarpTent, SMD, ZPack, GOlite ect. I have narrowed my tent search to the LightHeart Gear Solo...However, as am deciding on which form this new tent will take, I am wondering if the Wedge is an actually usable option for the AT or is this just a cool concept that I will not actaully use and will add a bit of weight. Also, is it worth doing a custom made Solo with the extra zippers for the fly and side screen.

It seems like it would be nice to at least add the extra screen zipper to allow access to the small fly on the rear.

Thanks

NCMedic.

Following the Compass Rose North in 2013

daddytwosticks
09-17-2012, 15:46
I have a stock Solo. No wedgie or extra zippers. I'm cheap and like things simple so I didn't want options. I'm very happy with this tent. :)

10-K
09-17-2012, 16:08
No wedge here either and happy. I use my tent to sleep in, not as a condo, so it works fine for me.

Check out the cuben solo. 16ish oz, plenty of room.

Old Hiker
09-17-2012, 19:52
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86824-LightHeart-Gear-SoLong-6-First-Impressions

Not the Solo, but it comes with an awning I like. I'm extremely satisfied with this tent.

Also bought a Solo with wedge on WhiteBlaze recently, just to check it out. The wedge seems like overkill to me. I like my awning with my SoLong. I DO recommend the extra door in the opposite side to get to the other vestibule. It would really come in handy.

Captain Skivvies
09-17-2012, 20:36
You didn't mention your height but at 6'6" I couldn't keep my wool bag from hitting the end of the solo. The slope was too great. Other than that it would have been a great tent. I would get the extra zipper for convienence.

jakedatc
09-17-2012, 22:00
Have the Solo and decided against the Wedge or awning.. i've never needed a "porch" on any tent.

daddytwosticks
09-18-2012, 07:29
I'm six foot even but use long bags - WM Alpenlite and Caribou. Also use an old Prolite 3 short pad. I have plenty of room in the Solo. No head or feet touching the tent. :)

priebesj
10-01-2012, 21:20
I just finished the JMT with a SoLong 6. It worked perfectly. Setup on the rain with almost no rain inside. Plenty of room inside for me (5'11") and pack even in 5 hours of rain. I only got the single door and agree that the second door would be useful.

grateful 2
10-01-2012, 23:19
Get the solong 6 - I love mine. Get it with 2 doors and both awnings. Big yet ultralight.

BrianLe
10-02-2012, 01:01
I have an awning in mine, no wedge. When doing long distance hiking, thru-hiking (or at least the same 'style') I rarely bother with the awning. On shorter days when the weather isn't too threatening I tend to like to (and choose to take the time to) set up the awning.

So if you anticipate mostly head-down hike-all-day sort of trips, the awning (or I guess wedge) will be less likely worth while. If you anticipate a bit more "camping", at least some of the time, I think that the awning at least is a fine choice.

jakedatc
10-02-2012, 09:40
There is a solo w/ wedge for sale on here at a pretty good price... might be worth jumping on.

NCMedic
10-09-2012, 13:51
Ok, so I decided to go with the LightHeart Solo....the shakedown hike is a 4 day hike around Damascus at the end of the week. I am excited to see how well it preforms.

jakedatc
10-09-2012, 14:25
Enjoy! be sure to take some pics to share.

dornstar
10-09-2012, 19:46
I have the Solo with awning and back zippers on both sides in royal blue that is pictured on the site. Love it. The awning isn't really necessary, but the ventilation is amazing. The color just gives a soothing vibe and has received a ton of compliments on it. Great tent.

lonehiker
02-09-2014, 15:25
The length of the LightHeart Solo seems to be a big plus for people that own it. But, does anyone experience issues finding a site that will accommodate the 133in length. I don't need the length but, at first glance, really like this tent.

bfayer
02-09-2014, 15:36
I think the best use of the awning on my Solong 6 is in hot weather when rain still may be an issue. It increases the ventilation exponentially, and unless a heck of a storm hits, you are not getting wet. That makes it worth it to me.

Tuckahoe
02-09-2014, 15:40
I never had an issue with its length and thought it to be just perfect for that extra storage at the head or foot. Also the head and foot taper from the widest point in the middle so I found it was able to fit into a couple tight spots.