PDA

View Full Version : when to arrive at Katahdin during PEAK fall foliage?

DavidNH
05-07-2005, 11:23
Hi,

I am planning to Thru hike the AT northbound during Spring of 2006. I want to experience the very best of Maine Folliage (it must be at least as nice as that of the other New England States right?). So when is the best time to hope to summit Katahdin and permit me hiking through the best of the fall colors? It would really suck to finish to early and miss the spectacle!

From this date, I will back up a good six months and I figure that is my starting time at Springer! I figure even if I reach Katahdin after peak color..I would at least be hiking Maine mountains through the foliage season!

NHhiker

Kerosene
05-07-2005, 13:15
You're from New England, so you should be able to calibrate. Plan on the Maine color peak occurring 1-2 weeks earlier than Concord, since Maine is a little farther north and the elevation is a bit higher. In most years, I'd expect the peak to fall from mid-Sept. to mid-October, but I'm sure you know that it will vary year-to-year based on rainfall, temperatures, and first hard freeze.

Here is a link to Maine fall color reports for 2003 and 2004 (http://www.state.me.us/doc/foliage/report/past.html). It looks like the AT is in high color that first week of October, and Katahdin (Millinocket) perhaps a week earlier.

I would shoot to time your arrival in Maine for late September, which should give you nice colors.

TREE-HUGGER
05-07-2005, 15:29
Peak foliage in the 100 Mile Wilderness and Katahdin region in a typical year is the last week of Sept. thru the first week of Oct. I have seen it peak on Oct 8th. I have even seen the trees start to turn with cool weather and then a warm spell settle in and everything greened back up. It was wild. You will start to see some color before the last week of Sept in the higher elevations for sure.

The Hog
05-08-2005, 07:42
I'm from Vermont, and I must say that Maine is underrated for Fall color.

I finished up on Katahdin on Oct. 10th, which was perhaps a little past peak color. But what an incredulous display from Gorham, NH all the way to Baxter State Park.

Timing can be tricky. You want to get the full show, but you have to watch out for the sudden snowstorm that can close trails on Katahdin. The year I hiked, Katahdin got 3 feet of snow on Oct 3rd, and all trails to the summit, including the A.T., were closed. I was lucky that the weather turned around and most of the snow melted by the time I reached Daicey Pond.

If I had to guess the best finishing date for Fall foliage, I'd say October 7th.

weary
05-08-2005, 09:23
Hi,

I am planning to Thru hike the AT northbound during Spring of 2006. I want to experience the very best of Maine Folliage (it must be at least as nice as that of the other New England States right?). So when is the best time to hope to summit Katahdin and permit me hiking through the best of the fall colors? It would really suck to finish to early and miss the spectacle!
From this date, I will back up a good six months and I figure that is my starting time at Springer! I figure even if I reach Katahdin after peak color..I would at least be hiking Maine mountains through the foliage season!
NHhiker
Fall foliage is a process, not a single event. The red maples tend to be the earliest and the brightest. But the birch, beech, sugar maples and other species follow in their season.

Thirty years ago I figured "the peak" -- the best blend of all the phases -- usually occurred between the 15th and the 20th of September. Now it tends to be early October. I suspect global warming.

Henry Thoreau in the mid 1800's placed the peak in Concord, Mass at October 2. That may be a clue to long term climate change. Katahdin, several hundred miles further north and a couple of thousand feet higher now has the climate of Concord, MA. a century and a half ago.

REgardless. Maine is exceptionally pretty from mid September through mid October. Actually, year round! That's why we struggle to provide buffers for the trail corridor, since the abutting owners are now all developers of one kind or another.

Weary www.matlt.org