PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking as a couple

hikestofish
09-18-2012, 07:16
Ladies and Gents,

I am not new to backpacking or spending time outdoors. I spent most of my free time outdoors since I was a child and have been backpacking solo since I was about 14 (I'm now almost 28). However, I have never really spent a lot of time on trails with a partner. I recently asked my girlfriend to marry me (before I went to Afghanistan) and now I would like to take her backpacking with me and have someone to share my experiences with. She likes the outdoors but has never really done any backpacking. I have no interest in putting 20 miles a day between us and my truck or having her do anything beyond a moderate level of difficulty. We live just north of Fayetteville, NC and I would like to take her into the mountains. Unfortunately I usually hike trails that are beyond a moderate level of difficulty to get to the areas that I like to fish in. If there is anyone that knows of some easier trails in the Boone/ Blowing Rock/ Banner Elk area would you please let me know? Also, if there are any backpacking couples out there that would like to give me some pointers, they would be much appreciated. Like I said, I usually go solo and have never really had to worry about someone else's pace or comfort. I'm in the Army and in my mind, comfort is secondary to accomplishing the mission (which when I'm in the backcountry is usually getting above a waterfall and into a headwaters area before 8 am). Thanks, folks!

James

Capt Nat
09-18-2012, 07:31
My wife recently started hiking some with me. We start walking and she starts talking. At 2 miles per hour she talks about 1700 words per minute. At my age, you just get numb to it.

Velvet Gooch
09-18-2012, 07:47
Your mindset and her lack of experience... fun times. Just sayin'

hikestofish
09-18-2012, 07:57
Thanks for the insight and helpful response. I'm sure I'll get a resounding response from the first sentence...With all due respect I'd rather people not comment on my mindset considering none of you know me or anything about me. When I'm not doing my Infantry thing I'm probably one of the most laid back guys you will ever come across. So, like I said, thanks for the well thought out and insightful response. Have a good day.

Cookerhiker
09-18-2012, 08:05
If "she likes the outdoors," then that's a good start. Lack of backpacking experience per se isn't necessarily a detriment. If she's physically i.e. aerobically fit, then starting on moderate-level hikes might work out.

My question is the camping/sleeping in the woods aspect. Have you discussed this? How does she feel about sleeping in a tent, cooking & eating typical backpacker's meals, getting dirty, no indoor plumbing, no showers or hot water? For just one night vs. 3-4 days vs. a week? Has she even car-camped?

OzJacko
09-18-2012, 08:13
I'm not in the North Carolina area (obviously a long way away) but I just did a search for "hiking north carolina" on Amazon in their books section.
There was several excellent looking cheap "hits" that may give you what you want.
Also I'm sure that in between the humorous comments about hiking with partners, some knowledgeable people will respond to your thread.
Personally, I would suggest starting with a simple well blazed trail to test the happiness to hike without putting the fishing etc into the equation to begin with.
Fishing = fishy smells. Women (generally) have enough trouble with the stink of hiking without throwing the extra smell in. Also be aware that "female issues" (not trying to be patronising) may need to be considered when timing your hike. i.e. check your available hiking dates against a "lunar cycle". The first hike is the one you have to sell the whole idea to her, don't get any of it wrong.

T-Rx
09-18-2012, 08:15
Hikestofish,
my wife is my #1 backpacking partner. We have been married for 36 yrs though and know each other thoroughly. There are great rewards in this as you mentioned such as the opportunity to share experiences that provide a lifetime of memories. We have always been outdoors, physically fit type of people. We camped and day hiked for years before discovering the joys of backpacking. So we started this new venture with the same level of experience and at the same relative level of fitness. So with all this being said I would suggest the following few simple things. Choose moderate trails to begin with and progress from there, don't hike too fast for your partner's comfort (you want her to have fun, this is not a mission), each person carries their own equipment but you can divide up things like cooking gear, food, water filtration and even parts of your shelter if it is a tent, divide the camp chores evenly, be there to assist her but each person must have a certain degree of self sufficiency. I am sure there are others out there that can also provide insight into this but that is my humble opinion. Hope it helps. Have a great hike!

BabySue
09-18-2012, 08:24
Moses cone / price lake. More of a camping + day hikes situation, but a good way to start.

Rasty
09-18-2012, 08:24
James

A first good overnight hike near you would be the Dutchman's Creek trail - Uwharrie Trail Loop. This is close to Charlotte NC

It can be done two ways

1) 42 Miles - 20.5 miles North to South Uwharrie Trail, Then 9.5 miles North Dutchman's Creek Trail, Then 13 miles North again on the Uwharrie Trail back to the car at the trailhead Highway 1306.

2) 18 Miles (Approx) - Trailhead at Highway 27. Dutchmans Creek trail North 9.5 miles then back down the Uwharrie trail for 9 miles.

Easy terrain on both trail, plenty of water and great camping sites. I did the 42 mile section in two and half days this spring.

PM if you interested and I can send more detailed information.

coach lou
09-18-2012, 08:27
Hikestofish,
my wife is my #1 backpacking partner. We have been married for 36 yrs though and know each other thoroughly. There are great rewards in this as you mentioned such as the opportunity to share experiences that provide a lifetime of memories. We have always been outdoors, physically fit type of people. We camped and day hiked for years before discovering the joys of backpacking. So we started this new venture with the same level of experience and at the same relative level of fitness. So with all this being said I would suggest the following few simple things. Choose moderate trails to begin with and progress from there, don't hike too fast for your partner's comfort (you want her to have fun, this is not a mission), each person carries their own equipment but you can divide up things like cooking gear, food, water filtration and even parts of your shelter if it is a tent, divide the camp chores evenly, be there to assist her but each person must have a certain degree of self sufficiency. I am sure there are others out there that can also provide insight into this but that is my humble opinion. Hope it helps. Have a great hike!

Excellent advise T-Rx

Llama Legs
09-18-2012, 09:05
Hiking on the AT, especially south of Hot Springs - I would plan on hiking shelter-to-shelter for her first trip. 5 or 6 miles is easy enough even with a medium load, but if you double that - you may cross over into being an ordeal for her (not good). Bring a little more camping goodies like playing cards, surprise treats. Just did this last week and it was fantastic. Of course the weather was awesome as opposed to say, today...

HikerMom58
09-18-2012, 09:05
Excellent advise T-Rx

T-Rx advise = awesome- along with many others!! Still amazes me when peeps make comments without even knowing the person they are commenting about. Wow, just wow!!

Llama Legs
09-18-2012, 09:07
I guess should have said "south of Watauga Lake" (Hwy 321)...

Llama Legs
09-18-2012, 09:09
oh, and bring lots of toilet paper ;)

Mags
09-18-2012, 09:13
Start slow, take extra 'goodies' to make her feel comfortable and make a point of finding a beautiful camp spot and relaxing in it vs walking most of the day.

Basically, 'backcountry car camping' is what I found works for me and Mrs Mags.

I do my bigger and/or harder trips solo or with friends.

WingedMonkey
09-18-2012, 09:16
You want to name yourself GI-Joe and then ignore the problem is that you think you are GI-Joe. You really don't give a damn what would make her hike a pleasant experience.
If you want to take a partner to the trails you need to focus on the comfort level of the partner.

10-K
09-18-2012, 09:28
You want to name yourself GI-Joe and then ignore the problem is that you think you are GI-Joe. You really don't give a damn what would make her hike a pleasant experience.
If you want to take a partner to the trails you need to focus on the comfort level of the partner.

My only rule is that we have to go at least 20 miles every day, preferably 23-25. Other than that, I'm flexible. :)

WingedMonkey
09-18-2012, 09:42

My bad, I forgot the
:p

10-K
09-18-2012, 10:15
My bad, I forgot the
:p

I was going to say something but... you know...

:)

Aquonehostel
09-18-2012, 10:25
Try a loop trail, if you have any problems on your hike they can be easily rectified because of the several exit points:

North Carolina Longsdale Loop
5 Day, 58 mile hike:

"Hikers seeking a great hike should consider the 58 mile loop hike, utilizing the Appalachian and NC Bartram Trails, starting and ending at Aquone Hostel, Nantahala NC. 1-828-321-2340

Since this hike starts and finishes at the same place, Aquone Hostel can be used as a "base camp". This will allow you to take advantage of Aquone Hostel lodging and great home cooked country food, the night before and the night after the hike.

You can leave your vehicle at the Hostel and arrange a shuttle to the start point, arrange for pick-up along the route. Don’t forget to ask about our slack-packing, this way you enjoy the hike with the minimum amount of discomfort. 1 828 321 2340

Day One 8.1 miles: The hike starts out on the Bartram trail (BT) (Yellow Blaze) at Nantahala Lake (SR 1310) Aquone hostel will shuttle you to the start point and will advise where necessary. The climb out from the lake is very steep, so aim to take it easy, plan to have lunch at FR711, the hike from there is a lot easier. At some point the AT will join the BT and both trails will guide you to Wayah Bald, do spend some time at Wayah Bald Tower 5,342’ the views are outstanding. The AT and BT, will guide you from the tower, loosing height until the AT & BT go their separate ways. Note: The AT will turn left and the BT will turn right ( To Franklin), make sure you follow the White Blaze, not Yellow. A short distance down the AT you will come to Wayah Shelter 4759’, this is where you will spend your first night.
Day Two: Wayah Shelter to Wesser Shelter (10.6 miles), After a good night's rest and breakfast at Wayah Shelter a nice easy hike to Wesser Shelter 4115’, take the AT North to Cold Springs Shelter (4.8 miles) where I recommend you have lunch. Water is available here, be sure to treat or filter the water. Once again take the AT North to Telico Gap (3.6 miles). Please note this is a Hostel Pick-up point should you wish to spend the night 1-828-321-2340 you can call just before or from the gap, reception is poor so you may have to move around a little to get a decent signal. The distance from Telico Gap to Wesser shelter miles, is 2.2 with quite a hard climb to Wesser Tower 4,627 feet, so take your time, the views are outstanding so it’s worth the climb. Note: The Water Point is 150 yards above the shelter, and you will pass it on your way in so do stop and fill-up before arrival at the shelter.

Day Three: From Wesser Shelter to Sassafras Shelter 4330’ (12.6 miles) Take the trail North to the NOC SR 19 (5.7 miles), the trail is very strenuous practically downhill all the way and can be very demanding on your knees and ankle joints, so take your time. NOC (2,100’) is a great place to have lunch and they serve outstanding ‘Hiker-Burgers’. After lunch cross the bridge and rail tracks at the NOC and begin your ascent to Sassafras Shelter 6.9 miles where you will spend the night, take plenty of water breaks and frequent stops, because of the tremendous height gain.

Day Four: Sassafras Shelter to Percy Creek Campsite (15.8 miles) Take the AT North 1.1 miles to Cheoah Bald 5,064’ where the trail will join section 7 of the Bartram Trail, this is the Northern Terminus of the BT in NC, follow the white & yellow blazes until the AT will head North and the BT will head South, take the BT south (Yellow Blaze) descending 8.6 miles to the hydro ‘Power-Plant’ Nantahala White Water put-in point 2,212’. (Some of the trail will cross the railway track and follow a cycle trail for 1.5 miles. This is a good lunch spot and a Hostel Pick-up point should you wish to return to the hostel. Looking at the ‘Power-Plant’ the trail-head (section 6) is on the right, follow the gravel road up to the water tower, where the trail will then enter the forest, follow the trail 5.6 miles to Percy Creek campsite, there are several springs and creeks here, an ideal place to spend the night.

Day Five: Percy Creek Campsite to Nantahala Lake (10.9 & Finish) Head South on the Bartram trail to Appletree Campsite (5.6 miles), you will meet Junaluska Road and also a trail-head sign, this is also a Hostel Pick-up point. Continue by crossing the road and walk a 20 yards to your right, you will see the trail follows a gravel road to below Nantahala Dam (2.9 miles), from the dam base climb some steps and follow the trail into the forest, there are some great views of Nantahala Lake 3013’ as it takes you to your finish point (2.4 miles)

Enjoy your hike Aquone Hostel

hikestofish
09-18-2012, 10:27

I get it...you're a judgemental person that suffers from a lack of confidence in one's own abilities and to cover for this you lash out at others via the internet. In other words, an internet tough guy. I don't need to label myself anything, much less "GI-Joe" and I definitely don't think I'm "GI-Joe". Been at this Army for a few years now and I'm about to redeploy from a combat deployment in a very active sector of Afghanistan. What is it exactly that you have done with your life, other than berate others that ask an honest question on the internet? I do believe that I said I don't care for my comfort because I am able to put things like aches, pains, cold, rain etc. out of my mind and carry on. I fully realize that being on the trail is not like doing my Infantry stuff in the Army...trust me. I do, on the other hand, care about my fiancee's comfort and I think I clearly stated that I had no desire to impose a death march on her. Maybe, I'm wrong but I think I know what I typed. Unfortunately, I was warned about some of the attitudes on this forum and I lurked for a while before posting. Didn't think I would have to be defending myself.

I thank the members that have posted well thought out, insightful responses. I will take your advice to heart when planning my this first outing.

To the member that asked if she had been car camping before. Yes, she has and she does enjoy it, as do I. I'm looking to merge two of our interests and hope that it works out well. I also have no intention of fishing with her. For me, fly fishing is something I do on my own. I like to be alone with my thoughts sometimes and fly fishing gives me the perfect opporotunity to do so. I may one day take her fishing with me but I won't take to her some of the really difficult spots...I don't believe she would enjoy getting to them.

HikerMom58
09-18-2012, 10:39
I get it...you're a judgemental person that suffers from a lack of confidence in one's own abilities and to cover for this you lash out at others via the internet. In other words, an internet tough guy. I don't need to label myself anything, much less "GI-Joe" and I definitely don't think I'm "GI-Joe". Been at this Army for a few years now and I'm about to redeploy from a combat deployment in a very active sector of Afghanistan. What is it exactly that you have done with your life, other than berate others that ask an honest question on the internet? I do believe that I said I don't care for my comfort because I am able to put things like aches, pains, cold, rain etc. out of my mind and carry on. I fully realize that being on the trail is not like doing my Infantry stuff in the Army...trust me. I do, on the other hand, care about my fiancee's comfort and I think I clearly stated that I had no desire to impose a death march on her. Maybe, I'm wrong but I think I know what I typed. Unfortunately, I was warned about some of the attitudes on this forum and I lurked for a while before posting. Didn't think I would have to be defending myself.

I thank the members that have posted well thought out, insightful responses. I will take your advice to heart when planning my this first outing.

To the member that asked if she had been car camping before. Yes, she has and she does enjoy it, as do I. I'm looking to merge two of our interests and hope that it works out well. I also have no intention of fishing with her. For me, fly fishing is something I do on my own. I like to be alone with my thoughts sometimes and fly fishing gives me the perfect opporotunity to do so. I may one day take her fishing with me but I won't take to her some of the really difficult spots...I don't believe she would enjoy getting to them.

First of all thanks for your service to our country. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Secondly, I think it's interesting that you were warned about this site for the same reasons I was also warned. I lurked for a while before posting and, like you,didn't think I would have to be defending myself either. But, I did, as well.
Your fiancee is fortunate to have you as a hiking buddy.... it's a fun hobby & I wish you both great hiking memories, in the years to come. :)

T.S.Kobzol
09-18-2012, 10:40
been with my wife since 1984 :rolleyes: and it has been obviously a growing process. We are destined to repeat our mentor's mistakes so here are a few pointers and let's hope you make the best of it. If you have more experience than your partner then don't make them 'feel it'. After all you want them to enjoy the trip and ultimately you want them to WANT TO DO IT AGAIN.

These pointers are generally gender blind.

1. Do not lead the way on the trail. - let them to be in front of you so that they can hike at their own pace and not feel inadequate by constantly having to catch up to you. This means that the destination has to be flexible until you really know what is your partner's hiking range.

2. Do not bring other company with you until you know your partner is hooked and comfortable staying outdoors. If your partner is new to this hiking thing then they have to deal with a few discomforts and adjustments. It is much better they don't have to feel self conscious in front of others. Also consider the fact that they are going outdoors with you because they WANT TO BE WITH YOU - appreciate and enjoy it. Make them feel like they are #1 on the trip. Fishing is not #1, reaching the summit is not #1.

3. Being new to the outdoors provides adjustments to personal comfort even under ideal conditions so therefore for the beginnings do not choose trips in heights of bug season, buggy destinations, under bad weather forecast, gnarly and risky itineraries etc..

4. Motivate your partner - hiking makes your butt smaller, tones your entire body - it is an all day activity that makes you look better without the stress of gerbil treadmills in health clubs.

hikestofish
09-18-2012, 10:42
First of all thanks for your service to our country. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Secondly, I think it's interesting that you were warned about this site for the same reasons I was also warned. I lurked for a while before posting and, like you,didn't think I would have to be defending myself either. But, I did, as well.
Your fiancee is fortunate to have you as a hiking buddy.... it's a fun hobby & I wish you both great hiking memories, in the years to come. :)

Thanks, Mom, it means a lot. I'm sure my fiancee and I will have some very good memories together.

jakedatc
09-18-2012, 10:50
Try a loop trail, if you have any problems on your hike they can be easily rectified because of the several exit points:

North Carolina Longsdale Loop
5 Day, 58 mile hike:

"Hikers seeking a great hike should consider the 58 mile loop hike, utilizing the Appalachian and NC Bartram Trails, starting and ending at Aquone Hostel, Nantahala NC. 1-828-321-2340

Since this hike starts and finishes at the same place, Aquone Hostel can be used as a "base camp". This will allow you to take advantage of Aquone Hostel lodging and great home cooked country food, the night before and the night after the hike.

You can leave your vehicle at the Hostel and arrange a shuttle to the start point, arrange for pick-up along the route. Don’t forget to ask about our slack-packing, this way you enjoy the hike with the minimum amount of discomfort. 1 828 321 2340

Day One 8.1 miles: The hike starts out on the Bartram trail (BT) (Yellow Blaze) at Nantahala Lake (SR 1310) Aquone hostel will shuttle you to the start point and will advise where necessary. The climb out from the lake is very steep, so aim to take it easy, plan to have lunch at FR711, the hike from there is a lot easier. At some point the AT will join the BT and both trails will guide you to Wayah Bald, do spend some time at Wayah Bald Tower 5,342’ the views are outstanding. The AT and BT, will guide you from the tower, loosing height until the AT & BT go their separate ways. Note: The AT will turn left and the BT will turn right ( To Franklin), make sure you follow the White Blaze, not Yellow. A short distance down the AT you will come to Wayah Shelter 4759’, this is where you will spend your first night.
Day Two: Wayah Shelter to Wesser Shelter (10.6 miles), After a good night's rest and breakfast at Wayah Shelter a nice easy hike to Wesser Shelter 4115’, take the AT North to Cold Springs Shelter (4.8 miles) where I recommend you have lunch. Water is available here, be sure to treat or filter the water. Once again take the AT North to Telico Gap (3.6 miles). Please note this is a Hostel Pick-up point should you wish to spend the night 1-828-321-2340 you can call just before or from the gap, reception is poor so you may have to move around a little to get a decent signal. The distance from Telico Gap to Wesser shelter miles, is 2.2 with quite a hard climb to Wesser Tower 4,627 feet, so take your time, the views are outstanding so it’s worth the climb. Note: The Water Point is 150 yards above the shelter, and you will pass it on your way in so do stop and fill-up before arrival at the shelter.

Day Three: From Wesser Shelter to Sassafras Shelter 4330’ (12.6 miles) Take the trail North to the NOC SR 19 (5.7 miles), the trail is very strenuous practically downhill all the way and can be very demanding on your knees and ankle joints, so take your time. NOC (2,100’) is a great place to have lunch and they serve outstanding ‘Hiker-Burgers’. After lunch cross the bridge and rail tracks at the NOC and begin your ascent to Sassafras Shelter 6.9 miles where you will spend the night, take plenty of water breaks and frequent stops, because of the tremendous height gain.

Day Four: Sassafras Shelter to Percy Creek Campsite (15.8 miles) Take the AT North 1.1 miles to Cheoah Bald 5,064’ where the trail will join section 7 of the Bartram Trail, this is the Northern Terminus of the BT in NC, follow the white & yellow blazes until the AT will head North and the BT will head South, take the BT south (Yellow Blaze) descending 8.6 miles to the hydro ‘Power-Plant’ Nantahala White Water put-in point 2,212’. (Some of the trail will cross the railway track and follow a cycle trail for 1.5 miles. This is a good lunch spot and a Hostel Pick-up point should you wish to return to the hostel. Looking at the ‘Power-Plant’ the trail-head (section 6) is on the right, follow the gravel road up to the water tower, where the trail will then enter the forest, follow the trail 5.6 miles to Percy Creek campsite, there are several springs and creeks here, an ideal place to spend the night.

Day Five: Percy Creek Campsite to Nantahala Lake (10.9 & Finish) Head South on the Bartram trail to Appletree Campsite (5.6 miles), you will meet Junaluska Road and also a trail-head sign, this is also a Hostel Pick-up point. Continue by crossing the road and walk a 20 yards to your right, you will see the trail follows a gravel road to below Nantahala Dam (2.9 miles), from the dam base climb some steps and follow the trail into the forest, there are some great views of Nantahala Lake 3013’ as it takes you to your finish point (2.4 miles)

Enjoy your hike Aquone Hostel

you want someone who's never backpacked before to do 5 days at ~10+mi per day for their first trip out? you don't have a gf/wife do you.....

sounds more like you want to advertise your hostel more than help this guy... efing spammer.

OP: hopefully you can find a 1 night fairly short trip.. even if it is a short out and back to one of your spots.. if it is tough then just take your time and spend the time to get there. pick good weather, good food, make sure her pack FITS, shoes FIT and a good sleeping pad she likes. Nothing will stop a hike worse than blisters, a pack that feels like crap and a bad night sleep.

hikestofish
09-18-2012, 10:55
you want someone who's never backpacked before to do 5 days at ~10+mi per day for their first trip out? you don't have a gf/wife do you.....

sounds more like you want to advertise your hostel more than help this guy... efing spammer.

OP: hopefully you can find a 1 night fairly short trip.. even if it is a short out and back to one of your spots.. if it is tough then just take your time and spend the time to get there. pick good weather, good food, make sure her pack FITS, shoes FIT and a good sleeping pad she likes. Nothing will stop a hike worse than blisters, a pack that feels like crap and a bad night sleep.

Yeah, I won't be taking her on a 60 mile trip her first time out...or probably for a very long time after that. I got her a good lightweight pack that fits her very well before I deployed so that's taken care of. She has a good pair of trail runners that will be just fine for a couple days on the trail so that is also taken care of. Thanks for the tips.

Alleghanian Orogeny
09-18-2012, 11:11
Thanks for the insight and helpful response. I'm sure I'll get a resounding response from the first sentence...With all due respect I'd rather people not comment on my mindset considering none of you know me or anything about me. When I'm not doing my Infantry thing I'm probably one of the most laid back guys you will ever come across. So, like I said, thanks for the well thought out and insightful response. Have a good day.

Hikestofish,

Please allow me to start with a sincere Thank You for Your Service. My son is a veteran Navy Seabee and I have two nephews who are Rangers and Iraq/Afghanistan combat veterans, and none of these 3 "kids" have seen their 30th birthday yet. I am appalled at any member of these forums who would respond with derision over your mention of service, and I apologize for their rude and insulting behavior.

Anyway, your question: I took my bride on a honeymoon including backpacking in Rocky Mountain National Park. We'd driven there from our wedding in Virginia. To make a long story as short as possible, I made several mistakes which you may benefit from. First, it was her first ever backpacking trip. Her pack was very light, but our failure to acclimate to the elevation (mistake #2) cost her dearly on Day 1. She got dizzy and sick to her stomach within a couple of hours up the trail. The third mistake was my not recognizing we were in elk country during the rut. People come from miles around to hear the bugling, but when it started just a couple of hundred yards from our first campsite, and when I hadn't a clue what that LOUD and strange sound was, she got pretty nervous. Still, we enjoyed about 3 nights out that first time. She was happy to have her meals prepared for her and the 2-man tent and sleeping bags/pad worked out just fine. We did a fair amount more backpacking before we started having kids after 5 years of marriage.

I agree with the advice to look to the Uwharries, so close to Fort Bragg, for an initial night or two out. You can also look into backpacking/disbursed camping in the Croatan National Forest near Havelock. There, the Neuseiok Trail runs around 25 miles through pine forest, swamp, and marsh. I don't know if it's "packable", but it should be easy enough to determine. In any event, it's flat and not too cold at night. I would regard the Croatan as an ideal place to hike in November/December. You might need some blaze orange clothing, as deer are hunted there.

The Moses Cone/Price Park trails near Blowing Rock are great and I've been fortunate to have walked nearly all of them, but they're strictly not for overnight stays. Both parks are sub-units of the National Park Service's Blue Ridge Parkway, so trail maps and rules/regs are on the BRP's website. A completely enjoyable trip could include car-camping at Price Park using your backpacking tent and cooking gear, and hiking the extensive and interconnected Price Park, Mountains-to-Sea, and Moses Cone trail systems during the days. You can reserve a campsite at Price Park via Recreation.gov.

Now that Grandfather Mountain is within the NC State Parks system, access to the small handful of campsites accessed from the Boone Fork Trailhead can be had without having to go through the somewhat cumbersome permit system required while it was under private ownership. The High Balsam shelter/campsite requires picking up something in the neighborhood of 1,500' of elevation within a couple or three miles, so it's a slog for the un-initiated, but there are two campsites up Boone Fork which require much less of a climb and are only a mile and a half or so in.

Don't overlook Linville Gorge as a backpacking destination once you're both more comfortable with the process/procedures. I believe a permit system is still in place, but getting down into the gorge, backpacking, and fishing for trout and smallmouth bass with ultralight tackle is pretty special.

As for the AT, a fairly easy section, at least in terms of access, is just north/east of Damascus, VA. From Damascus to the approaches to Whitetop Mountain, the AT crosses and re-crosses US 58 and the Virginia Creeper Trail (VCT) several times, and for a couple of short distance, the AT and the VCT are one in the same. On the NOBO side of Mount Rogers, the AT descends and crosses VA Rt 603 almost beside the Grindstone Campground, a nice National Forest facility. It then passes nearby Raccoon Branch CG, another NF facility, thus enabling the hiker to access segments of the AT from established NF campgrounds, eliminating the need for full-on backpacking as you get her initiated.

Lastly, don't overlook the AT in Shenandoah National Park west of Charlottesville, VA. I'm pretty sure the National Park Services offers a free entry pass to active-duty servicemembers, so that helps some. Access to Rockfish Gap is via I-64 about an hour and a half or so west of Richmond, so coming from Bragg, the travel time isn't much different than coming to the Boone area. You should confirm by looking at the AT topo profile, but I believe there is somewhat less up-and-down within the Shenandoah NP than is the case in most of the AT all the way up to Rockfish Gap.

Thanks again for your service, and thanks for you wife's service, where her support is an integral element of your own efforts. Best of luck in your hiking and backpacking endeavors.

AO

JJJ
09-18-2012, 11:11
Yeah, I won't be taking her on a 60 mile trip her first time out...or probably for a very long time after that. I got her a good lightweight pack that fits her very well before I deployed so that's taken care of. She has a good pair of trail runners that will be just fine for a couple days on the trail so that is also taken care of. Thanks for the tips.

You're thinkin' right, Hikes.
I'm much older but have faced a similar dilemma on the trail.
Get her a good quality 20L pack to carry no more than 15lbs this first trip.
She may insist on more, but don't let her. Be diplomatic about it.
You carry 55lbs to compensate.
Go to Carver's Gap near Roan Mt. and walk north to Hump Mt and back the same way -3-5 miles a day. Easy walk, lots to see.
Or the Grayson Highlands loop is not bad but more challenging. But go counter clockwise and save Wilburn Ridge for down hill the last day.
She'll love it.
And that's the objective.

booney_1
09-18-2012, 11:19
A beautiful area near boone is the Lost Cove Creek area. There are a couple of roads to access it. I've only used the Roseboro road (Linville,NC)
http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/344154 This is a link that shows the area. There is a beautiful stream, waterfalls, and cliffs. I don't fish but I think it's a good trout fishing place. The hiking is pretty easy, the only difficulty is some shallow stream crossings.

I would also second the Uwharrie suggestion. A really good camping area is 2 miles North of 109 on the Uwharrie Trail (spencer creek). The trail crosses 109 a few miles North of Troy. There is a parking lot at the crossing. You can find details on the web. This is a cool place to hike and explore.
Watch the start of hunting season...however...Uwharrie is National Forest, which means it's a free fire zone when deer season starts. I don't remember the exact start of gun hunting season, but it's around the middle of Nov.

hikestofish
09-18-2012, 11:20
AO and JJJ, thanks the helpful responses. I had completely forgotten about the Uhwarries and how close they were. I have been on the trails there and loved the scenery and the easy-moderate difficulty should be just fine for her to start out on.

Rasty
09-18-2012, 12:24
Hikestofish,

Please allow me to start with a sincere Thank You for Your Service. My son is a veteran Navy Seabee and I have two nephews who are Rangers and Iraq/Afghanistan combat veterans, and none of these 3 "kids" have seen their 30th birthday yet. I am appalled at any member of these forums who would respond with derision over your mention of service, and I apologize for their rude and insulting behavior.

Anyway, your question: I took my bride on a honeymoon including backpacking in Rocky Mountain National Park. We'd driven there from our wedding in Virginia. To make a long story as short as possible, I made several mistakes which you may benefit from. First, it was her first ever backpacking trip. Her pack was very light, but our failure to acclimate to the elevation (mistake #2) cost her dearly on Day 1. She got dizzy and sick to her stomach within a couple of hours up the trail. The third mistake was my not recognizing we were in elk country during the rut. People come from miles around to hear the bugling, but when it started just a couple of hundred yards from our first campsite, and when I hadn't a clue what that LOUD and strange sound was, she got pretty nervous. Still, we enjoyed about 3 nights out that first time. She was happy to have her meals prepared for her and the 2-man tent and sleeping bags/pad worked out just fine. We did a fair amount more backpacking before we started having kids after 5 years of marriage.

I agree with the advice to look to the Uwharries, so close to Fort Bragg, for an initial night or two out. You can also look into backpacking/disbursed camping in the Croatan National Forest near Havelock. There, the Neuseiok Trail runs around 25 miles through pine forest, swamp, and marsh. I don't know if it's "packable", but it should be easy enough to determine. In any event, it's flat and not too cold at night. I would regard the Croatan as an ideal place to hike in November/December. You might need some blaze orange clothing, as deer are hunted there.

The Moses Cone/Price Park trails near Blowing Rock are great and I've been fortunate to have walked nearly all of them, but they're strictly not for overnight stays. Both parks are sub-units of the National Park Service's Blue Ridge Parkway, so trail maps and rules/regs are on the BRP's website. A completely enjoyable trip could include car-camping at Price Park using your backpacking tent and cooking gear, and hiking the extensive and interconnected Price Park, Mountains-to-Sea, and Moses Cone trail systems during the days. You can reserve a campsite at Price Park via Recreation.gov.

Now that Grandfather Mountain is within the NC State Parks system, access to the small handful of campsites accessed from the Boone Fork Trailhead can be had without having to go through the somewhat cumbersome permit system required while it was under private ownership. The High Balsam shelter/campsite requires picking up something in the neighborhood of 1,500' of elevation within a couple or three miles, so it's a slog for the un-initiated, but there are two campsites up Boone Fork which require much less of a climb and are only a mile and a half or so in.

Don't overlook Linville Gorge as a backpacking destination once you're both more comfortable with the process/procedures. I believe a permit system is still in place, but getting down into the gorge, backpacking, and fishing for trout and smallmouth bass with ultralight tackle is pretty special.

As for the AT, a fairly easy section, at least in terms of access, is just north/east of Damascus, VA. From Damascus to the approaches to Whitetop Mountain, the AT crosses and re-crosses US 58 and the Virginia Creeper Trail (VCT) several times, and for a couple of short distance, the AT and the VCT are one in the same. On the NOBO side of Mount Rogers, the AT descends and crosses VA Rt 603 almost beside the Grindstone Campground, a nice National Forest facility. It then passes nearby Raccoon Branch CG, another NF facility, thus enabling the hiker to access segments of the AT from established NF campgrounds, eliminating the need for full-on backpacking as you get her initiated.

Lastly, don't overlook the AT in Shenandoah National Park west of Charlottesville, VA. I'm pretty sure the National Park Services offers a free entry pass to active-duty servicemembers, so that helps some. Access to Rockfish Gap is via I-64 about an hour and a half or so west of Richmond, so coming from Bragg, the travel time isn't much different than coming to the Boone area. You should confirm by looking at the AT topo profile, but I believe there is somewhat less up-and-down within the Shenandoah NP than is the case in most of the AT all the way up to Rockfish Gap.

Thanks again for your service, and thanks for you wife's service, where her support is an integral element of your own efforts. Best of luck in your hiking and backpacking endeavors.

AO

The Neusiok is a great early winter to early spring hike. A 40ish mile yo-yo is an easy three day trip. Park at the Southern Trailhead only.

Spirit Walker
09-18-2012, 12:42
I think if you want someone to enjoy backpacking, first they need to enjoy hiking. Start with just doing dayhikes to lovely destinations - waterfalls, views, swimming holes, etc. If she enjoys those, then take her on a short (5-6 mile) overnight trip - again to a lovely destination. Even if she is fit, adding weight to her back will slow her down and use muscles that she isn't used to using. When I started backpacking (many years ago) I found that at first I could only backpack about half the distance I could dayhike. If you want to do both hiking and camping from the getgo, walk a short distance in, set up a basecamp, and then dayhike from there.

To start with, you carry the heaviest items, but don't baby her completely. I don't think that does anyone a favor. (I met some marines in the mountains out with their gfs. The men had 70 lb packs, the women 10 lbs each. As a female, I would have felt patronized by that kind of imbalance. OTOH, they were getting luxuries like steak, wine, etc. which I wouldn't have minded so much.) Bring some luxuries - but not so much that she doesn't get that backcountry camping is different.

hikestofish
09-18-2012, 12:52
I think if you want someone to enjoy backpacking, first they need to enjoy hiking. Start with just doing dayhikes to lovely destinations - waterfalls, views, swimming holes, etc. If she enjoys those, then take her on a short (5-6 mile) overnight trip - again to a lovely destination. Even if she is fit, adding weight to her back will slow her down and use muscles that she isn't used to using. When I started backpacking (many years ago) I found that at first I could only backpack about half the distance I could dayhike. If you want to do both hiking and camping from the getgo, walk a short distance in, set up a basecamp, and then dayhike from there.

To start with, you carry the heaviest items, but don't baby her completely. I don't think that does anyone a favor. (I met some marines in the mountains out with their gfs. The men had 70 lb packs, the women 10 lbs each. As a female, I would have felt patronized by that kind of imbalance. OTOH, they were getting luxuries like steak, wine, etc. which I wouldn't have minded so much.) Bring some luxuries - but not so much that she doesn't get that backcountry camping is different.

We did a couple day hikes before I went downrange and she enjoyed them. They were very short in duration but she keeps telling me she wants to try backpacking with me so I figured why not? Seems like a pretty good way for me to unwind after a combat deployment...no crowds, so I won't be hyper vigilant (hopefully) LOL. The trees should've started to change by the time I get back so the scenery will be outstanding and most importantly, I'll be spending time with her. Thanks again for all the tips, folks.

Grits
09-18-2012, 13:05
At my backdoor go to hiking :banana Here are some links that will help. 1st the Moses Cone trails are 26 miles of carriage trails and pretty easy walking. http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/upload/Cone%20Park%20Carriage%20Trails.pdf they also connect with the mountains to sea trail at price park from Rich Mtn. I would think the best thing is to car camp at Price Park campground, bathrooms and water and the Boones fork loop (part of the Mountains to Sea Trail) 5 miles and runs through the campground http://www.blueridgeparkwayblog.com/123-hiking-the-boone-fork-trail/ and then the Tanawha Trail which is also part of the mountains to sea trail and goes over rough ridge and under the linn Cove viaduct and it is easy to access the parkway from about any point. I would start at the west end at Beacon Heights back to Price Park mostly downhill. 13 miles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanawha_Trail http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/upload/Tanawha%20Trail.pdf At the Boones Fork Parking area you can access the Grandfather Mtn State Park Daniel Boone Scout trail and all of the trail system on Grandfather. 2000 ft elevation gain in 3 miles to the peak Calloways Peak. The Cragway trail and Nuwati trail over to storytellers rock Good back country camping there free. http://www.grandfather.com/nature_walks/east_side_trails.php
You can drive an hour on 19E and access the Appalachian Trail at Roan Mtn or an hour over to Damascus as others have mentioned the Wilsons Creek/linville gorge areas are within 30 min drive if she would enjoy waterfalls more than mountain top hiking. http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/wilson_creek1.htm be sure to check out south harper falls a 200ft spetacular waterfall. Hope this helps and have fun. Thanks for your service to all of us.

Moose2001
09-18-2012, 13:19
Just recently did this same thing with my girlfriend. She loves to hike but has never backpacked. She wanted to do something big for her first trip. I said no. So, we did a nice easy 3 night hike in eastern Utah. My rules were.....(1) I showed her where we were going and what to expect. I did my best to get her excited about the trip, and that didn't take much!, and what to expect. (2) I kept her pack lighter than if we equally shared gear. I wanted her to get used to carrying a pack and not feel burdened or uncomfortable. (3) I put her in front and let her set the pace. In hindsight that might have not been the best because she killed me! :) (4) I kept the mileage short, about 6 miles a day, to let her get used to hiking with a pack and giving her plenty of time to enjoy the sites and the lakes we camped next to.

Did it work? YES! She can't wait to do more and she's greatful that I eased her into it. Make the first trip really enjoyable and they will want to do more. If it turns into a death march, she'll never want to go with you again.

hikestofish
09-18-2012, 13:34
At my backdoor go to hiking :banana Here are some links that will help. 1st the Moses Cone trails are 26 miles of carriage trails and pretty easy walking. http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/upload/Cone%20Park%20Carriage%20Trails.pdf they also connect with the mountains to sea trail at price park from Rich Mtn. I would think the best thing is to car camp at Price Park campground, bathrooms and water and the Boones fork loop (part of the Mountains to Sea Trail) 5 miles and runs through the campground http://www.blueridgeparkwayblog.com/123-hiking-the-boone-fork-trail/ and then the Tanawha Trail which is also part of the mountains to sea trail and goes over rough ridge and under the linn Cove viaduct and it is easy to access the parkway from about any point. I would start at the west end at Beacon Heights back to Price Park mostly downhill. 13 miles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanawha_Trail http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/upload/Tanawha%20Trail.pdf At the Boones Fork Parking area you can access the Grandfather Mtn State Park Daniel Boone Scout trail and all of the trail system on Grandfather. 2000 ft elevation gain in 3 miles to the peak Calloways Peak. The Cragway trail and Nuwati trail over to storytellers rock Good back country camping there free. http://www.grandfather.com/nature_walks/east_side_trails.php
You can drive an hour on 19E and access the Appalachian Trail at Roan Mtn or an hour over to Damascus as others have mentioned the Wilsons Creek/linville gorge areas are within 30 min drive if she would enjoy waterfalls more than mountain top hiking. http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/wilson_creek1.htm be sure to check out south harper falls a 200ft spetacular waterfall. Hope this helps and have fun. Thanks for your service to all of us.

I've been into Wilson's Creek Gorge and Linville Gorge...loved both of those spots. Been both above and below South Harper's Creek Falls and North Harper's as well. South Harper's is definitely better than North. I will keep those places in mind if/when she decides she enjoys it. Thanks!

avalonmorn
09-18-2012, 13:37
Hikestofish, congrads on your engagement, and greetings from Ft. Sill Oklahoma. I have visited your area, my grandkids are at Ft. Bragg. I by no means know the trails in your area, but would like to respond to your post. First of all, she is going because she loves you, and may learn to love backpacking. I agree with the posts about scenic trails, first time backpackers enjoy the views, so I would suggest a camera, and that she carry it. Let her choose where to stop and take pics, etc. My women friends and I especially like waterfalls, don't know why. One more thing, put something that's her favorite in your pack for nightime setting around camp, her favorite candy bar, her favorite tea bag, her stuffed animal she sleeps with, etc. She will know that that you care, and that she is number one. I fully expect that when you get back from deployment, and take some time off, to read in the trail journals that you and fiancee have summitted that big mountain in Maine! Good luck, and thanks for keeping the rest of us safe.

bwburgin1015
09-18-2012, 14:45
Thanks for your service first of all! Also check out Shining Rock/Cold Mountain...beautiful balds and relatively easy hiking.

turtle fast
09-18-2012, 14:57
As to hiking with your spouse you have to remember that you both will have different hiking paces. Especially for a newer hiker it is important to hike at a pace comfortable with the SLOWEST hiker. Yes, it can be nerve wracking for the faster hiker but you have to remember that now you are hiking as a unit and much of your enjoyment will be from the shared experiences that you both have. I had found out the hard way while hiking on the AT with a faster pace than my spouse, but you realize that it is not about so much the speed to the destination as the sharing of a view or seeing an animal or just knowing that you are working together through blood, sweat, and tears towards a common goal.

cymru
09-18-2012, 17:36
Definitely carry a bit more of the weight. And take turns with different parts of setting up camp, cooking, etc. until you figure out what works best for each of you. (My husband always feels like it's his job to set up the tent, while I boil water for tea, but I can set the tent up just as easily and quickly as he can.)

Whoever has the most energy left or the least sore feet is responsible for fetching/filtering water.

We walk together on the flat bits of trail (with me setting the pace), but I actually prefer it if he goes on ahead while we're climbing. I know that I'm slow, I hate being reminded of it for the entire climb.

Uncle Walkie
09-18-2012, 17:59
Brother,

Similar curcumstances here: I am an infantryman here in eastern NC (though a Marine at LeJeune). Have been hiking/backpacking for years but just took my wife on her first backpacking trip two months ago. I had considered the Neusiok Trail in the Croatan for an easy introduction, but I just didn't think it would be satisfying without mountains.

We went to the Shining Rock Wilderness out towards Asheville/Brevard. I have been there many times. We had a great time! She only carried about about 15-20lbs, we kept it low miles (like 5 per day). I did all the camp chores (set up tent, cooked dinner, hang food, fetch water, etc). Also tried to suprise her with some snack she would like, hot cocoa in the evening, etc. End result she was eased into it, had a great time and now has an interest. She wants to challenge herself and "carry her own weight" next time. I have either solo'ed or have taken my son in the past, but the expereince of going with my wife (and best friend) was fantastic.

Try Shining Rock/ Art Loeb Trail. Lots of routes/loops you can choose with great views and as challenging as you want to make it. It will a great way to decompress after returning home and is the best medicine you can have.

Be safe brother
Semper Fi

jbsbestfan
09-18-2012, 18:43
You should take her to Carver Gap (near Roan Mountain, Tn and Elk Park NC)........just hike 3.2 miles out and sleep on top of Grassy Ridge.....the views should hook her for god and you get a nice sunset.......next day, follow the AT to Little Hump of just beyond to Bradley Gap to sleep with another gerat sunset view.........next day hike down to 19E adn have Terry at Mountain Home B&B get you to your car....or leave your car with him and have him take you to Carver Gap. There is a great post hike pizza place in Roan ountain, but I can not remember the name.

jbsbestfan
09-18-2012, 18:45
Art Loeb and Shining Rock wilderness is also one of those moderate work/big pay off hiking areas like Roan so that other recomendation is nice also....that trail will probably have more hiker traffic.

Rasty
09-18-2012, 20:41
You should take her to Carver Gap (near Roan Mountain, Tn and Elk Park NC)........just hike 3.2 miles out and sleep on top of Grassy Ridge.....the views should hook her for god and you get a nice sunset.......next day, follow the AT to Little Hump of just beyond to Bradley Gap to sleep with another gerat sunset view.........next day hike down to 19E adn have Terry at Mountain Home B&B get you to your car....or leave your car with him and have him take you to Carver Gap. There is a great post hike pizza place in Roan ountain, but I can not remember the name.

That where I'm going next week. Can't wait.

HikerMom58
09-18-2012, 20:50
That where I'm going next week. Can't wait.

I hope you have good weather! :)

Datto
09-18-2012, 21:58
My wife recently started hiking some with me. We start walking and she starts talking. At 2 miles per hour she talks about 1700 words per minute. At my age, you just get numb to it.

That's what the Bluetooth wearing Chihuahua is for -- by the time you meet up with them at the shelter, even the Boy Scouts have cleared out. Heck, you could probably sleep with your salmon cakes too, no problem.

Datto

Ground Control
09-19-2012, 07:12
Love hiking in WNC! Appalachian State grad here...

Try the Little Lost Cove loop that you can enter between Banner Elk and Newland. It is just about 5 miles and has a total elevation delta of under 1000 feet. Beautful waterfall, a couple good spots for camp spots... It is a very worthwhile hike.
http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/40828

Another idea would be to catch a section of the Mountains to Sea trail. The section from Price Park to Moses Cone park (both on the Blue Ridge Parkway) is 13.8 miles.

Have fun; ignore the naysayers. Watching your girl to learn enjoy hiking and camping with you can be a very rewarding experience as well as a great relationship builder. :)

OzJacko
09-19-2012, 07:20
Bad ideas never do backpacking as a couple it will end up in separation because
backpacking will bring so much of conflicts between you and your partner.
With all due respect, any activity that brings people close together in out of the ordinary circumstances can create conflict. It can also make a relationship stronger.
Such a sweeping statement is to use your local vernacular "bollocks".
I would stress to the OP to consider my extra 32 years on the planet gives me more "cred" on this issue.:)

T-Rx
09-19-2012, 07:52
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by WhiteLion http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1339365#post1339365)

QUOTE=OzJacko;1339395]With all due respect, any activity that brings people close together in out of the ordinary circumstances can create conflict. It can also make a relationship stronger.
I would stress to the OP to consider my extra 32 years on the planet gives me more "cred" on this issue.:)[/QUOTE]

Well said OzJacko. I have an extra 32 years of experience on the planet as well, and I have a lot of backpacking experience with my wife of 36 years that absolutely contradicts the statement by Whitelion. No offense intended Whitelion but you just haven't found the right lady yet.

Train Wreck
09-19-2012, 08:00
James,

My first backpacking experience was a pretty tough experience. I learned a lot what NOT to do. If you'd like a woman's viewpoint:
1. Make sure the weather is going to be nice (or at least, not raining). If questionable, pass it up for a better weekend. Nothing kills the fun factor like hiking in the rain for 3 or 4 days straight.
2. If you're renting equipment, make sure her pack fits! Ditto for boots, if new.
3. Share the map & guidebook with her. It's awful, going on for hours not having any idea of how far you've come, where you are, or how far to go (our friends who invited us on our first trip hiked faster than we did, and kept the map).
4. Stop for the day before either of you get tired. Your trip isn't about the miles, anyway.
5. Sneak in a special treat (gourmet chocolate bar, airplane bottles of liquor, whatever) to share just before retiring for the evening.
6. Ibuprofen!

Good luck and have fun.

coach lou
09-19-2012, 08:03
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by WhiteLion http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1339365#post1339365)

QUOTE=OzJacko;1339395]With all due respect, any activity that brings people close together in out of the ordinary circumstances can create conflict. It can also make a relationship stronger.
I would stress to the OP to consider my extra 32 years on the planet gives me more "cred" on this issue.:)

Well said OzJacko. I have an extra 32 years of experience on the planet as well, and I have a lot of backpacking experience with my wife of 36 years that absolutely contradicts the statement by Whitelion. No offense intended Whitelion but you just haven't found the right lady yet.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I agree. My X went with me to make me happy, I take 'Overload' along to make her happy, and I love having her along.

bigcranky
09-19-2012, 08:05
Head up to Grayson Highlands State Park in southwest Virginia, about a 4 hour drive from the Triangle area. Park in the backpacker parking lot, and hike the AT up Wilburn Ridge toward Rhododendron Gap. Once you get to the gap, hang a left to continue on the AT toward Thomas Knob Shelter, and start looking for a campsite. There are about a zillion of them in the first half mile, many with great views. If you leave early on a Saturday morning, you can make a great overnight hike out of this -- with plenty of time to climb the ~2-3 miles up and find/set up camp. There is water nearby, at the shelter and in a spring just below the campsites. There is a privy at the shelter, about a half mile from the campsites.

The trail is out in the open, with thousand-mile views and wild horses -- in short, it's just about the perfect place to help someone fall in love with hiking and backpacking.

It gets chilly up there pretty quickly - lows tonight are going to be in the mid 40s. So make sure she has a good sleeping bag and some warm clothing. Think about having a small campfire, and bringing hot chocolate, red wine, nice meals, that sort of thing.

Good luck and have fun.

T-Rx
09-19-2012, 08:49
James,

My first backpacking experience was a pretty tough experience. I learned a lot what NOT to do. If you'd like a woman's viewpoint:
1. Make sure the weather is going to be nice (or at least, not raining). If questionable, pass it up for a better weekend. Nothing kills the fun factor like hiking in the rain for 3 or 4 days straight.
2. If you're renting equipment, make sure her pack fits! Ditto for boots, if new.
3. Share the map & guidebook with her. It's awful, going on for hours not having any idea of how far you've come, where you are, or how far to go (our friends who invited us on our first trip hiked faster than we did, and kept the map).
4. Stop for the day before either of you get tired. Your trip isn't about the miles, anyway.
5. Sneak in a special treat (gourmet chocolate bar, airplane bottles of liquor, whatever) to share just before retiring for the evening.
6. Ibuprofen!

Good luck and have fun.

Great advice Trainwreck. Since you and HikermomKD are ladies that backpack I guess that makes y'all the real experts on this topic.

T-Rx
09-19-2012, 08:53
Oh, I agree. My X went with me to make me happy, I take 'Overload' along to make her happy, and I love having her along.[/QUOTE]

You are right Couch Lou. It's all about choosing the "right" partner.

HikerMom58
09-19-2012, 09:44
Ok... if we are talking 32 years here...I'll throw in my, being happily married for 32 years, advice. WhiteLion... you are on to something when you bring up conflicts, you got that right! :) Conflicts happen. Try to find someone that you have the least amount of conflicts with. Learning to resolve conflicts is the key. Fight fair and learn to fight well- meaning you are both OK after it's all over. Conflicts will pop up until you take your last breath.

Whether it's backpacking together or anything you try to enjoy together- good communication is tha bomb!! :) I think it's important when my husband/myself send the message, that it's not all about ME. That's a WIN-WIN right there!! :)

I just watch another vid, where the hiking couple ended their epic journey with the guy getting down on one knee... IDK...sometimes it ends well!! :)

Alligator
09-19-2012, 11:25
backpacking will bring so much of conflicts between you and your partner.spammer alert.

Train Wreck
09-19-2012, 16:16
4. Motivate your partner - hiking makes your butt smaller, tones your entire body - it is an all day activity that makes you look better without the stress of gerbil treadmills in health clubs.

:eek: Exercise extreme caution if you choose to motivate your partner by making a loaded statement like this! :D

coach lou
09-19-2012, 16:24
:eek: Exercise extreme caution if you choose to motivate your partner by making a loaded statement like this! :D

"Honey, how does my butt look in these white pants?":sun We need a suicidal smiley

Alleghanian Orogeny
09-19-2012, 17:18
Love hiking in WNC! Appalachian State grad here...

Try the Little Lost Cove loop that you can enter between Banner Elk and Newland. It is just about 5 miles and has a total elevation delta of under 1000 feet. Beautful waterfall, a couple good spots for camp spots... It is a very worthwhile hike.

Another idea would be to catch a section of the Mountains to Sea trail. The section from Price Park to Moses Cone park (both on the Blue Ridge Parkway) is 13.8 miles.

Have fun; ignore the naysayers. Watching your girl to learn enjoy hiking and camping with you can be a very rewarding experience as well as a great relationship builder. :)

Ground Control,

Another ASU grad here--ASU Geology 1978 (hence the screen name, which refers to the mountain-building episode which created the primary folding and faulting which gave the Southern Appalachians their core shapes which, as modified by erosion, we so enjoy today).

I like the Little Lost Cove Loop and the digital map depicts it just like my 35 year old hardcopy USGS sheets do. My confusion is your having listed "entering between Banner Elk and Newland". Both Banner Elk and Newland, and the one very curvy road between them, are on the opposite side of Grandfather Mountain and the BRP from Little Lost Cove, aren't they?

The link following your mention of the MST between Price and Cone parks is a repeat of the Little Lost Cove Loop. Did you intend to include another digital map link? More importantly, is camping allowed in either Price or Cone, or both? I didn't think camping was allowed anywhere within the Blue Ridge Parkway unit of the National Park Service, of which both Price and Cone are subsidiary units, but wholly under NPS jurisdiction, unlike Little Lost Cove, Wilson Creek, and pretty much the whole of the downslope area below the BRP, which fall within the US Dept of Agriculture National Forest System.

If camping is allowed in Price or Cone, I'd love to know about it!

AO

Whack-a-mole
09-20-2012, 00:09
5 days for a first time out is going to have her hating it. On my wife's first backpacking trip I took her to 10,000 ft wanting to show her the beautiful views. All she did was hate me for it. I almost killed her on her first trip, and she reminds me of it. Make the trip about her, and her fitness level. The Uwharrie trail and Dutchman Creek Trail, are pretty close to home, and the woods are very pretty there. Just don't go in November. It is a public hunting area, and the woods are full of hunters. I hunt myself, and don't mind hunters, but with it being a public place, it packs them in, and some of them aren't as experienced as they could be. Have done the southern parts numerous times, and the wife and I day hiked the northern part last Oct during the leaf season and it was very pretty.

Marta
09-20-2012, 00:58
Head up to Grayson Highlands State Park in southwest Virginia, about a 4 hour drive from the Triangle area. Park in the backpacker parking lot, and hike the AT up Wilburn Ridge toward Rhododendron Gap. Once you get to the gap, hang a left to continue on the AT toward Thomas Knob Shelter, and start looking for a campsite. There are about a zillion of them in the first half mile, many with great views. If you leave early on a Saturday morning, you can make a great overnight hike out of this -- with plenty of time to climb the ~2-3 miles up and find/set up camp. There is water nearby, at the shelter and in a spring just below the campsites. There is a privy at the shelter, about a half mile from the campsites.

The trail is out in the open, with thousand-mile views and wild horses -- in short, it's just about the perfect place to help someone fall in love with hiking and backpacking.

It gets chilly up there pretty quickly - lows tonight are going to be in the mid 40s. So make sure she has a good sleeping bag and some warm clothing. Think about having a small campfire, and bringing hot chocolate, red wine, nice meals, that sort of thing.

Good luck and have fun.

Second this suggestion. From Fayetteville you can drive into Virginia as easily as into western NC.

campingfever
09-20-2012, 06:30
You may consider South Mountain State Park in Burke County. I live locally and go here often on day hikes alone and with my wife. There are a variety of trails (40 miles) with beautiful views and hikes from easy to strenuous and you can also camp here if you choose. On another subject, I was also 11-B in the 7th Infantry Division 86-89. http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/somo/directions.php

Ground Control
09-20-2012, 07:32
Ground Control,

Another ASU grad here--ASU Geology 1978 (hence the screen name, which refers to the mountain-building episode which created the primary folding and faulting which gave the Southern Appalachians their core shapes which, as modified by erosion, we so enjoy today).

I like the Little Lost Cove Loop and the digital map depicts it just like my 35 year old hardcopy USGS sheets do. My confusion is your having listed "entering between Banner Elk and Newland". Both Banner Elk and Newland, and the one very curvy road between them, are on the opposite side of Grandfather Mountain and the BRP from Little Lost Cove, aren't they?

The link following your mention of the MST between Price and Cone parks is a repeat of the Little Lost Cove Loop. Did you intend to include another digital map link? More importantly, is camping allowed in either Price or Cone, or both? I didn't think camping was allowed anywhere within the Blue Ridge Parkway unit of the National Park Service, of which both Price and Cone are subsidiary units, but wholly under NPS jurisdiction, unlike Little Lost Cove, Wilson Creek, and pretty much the whole of the downslope area below the BRP, which fall within the US Dept of Agriculture National Forest System.

If camping is allowed in Price or Cone, I'd love to know about it!

AO

Yikes! I included the same map-link twice. Thanks for pointing that out. This is obviously a different trail. Here is a link that can help you find all the trails surrounding Price Park, of which there are multiple. The mountains-to-Sea trail is well marked in this area:
http://www.virtualblueridge.com/maps/price-park-trails.asp

Your point about camping within the Blue Ridge Parkway corridor is accurate; you cannot camp within it except for designated campgrounds, of which there are 5: Doughton Park, Julian Price Park, Linville Falls, Crabtree Meadows, and Mt. Pisgah. Here is a link to the Price Park campground where there are tent-only sites available and designed for backpackers. It is at milepost 297 on the BRP.
http://www.recreation.gov/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=74043

For the little Lost Cove Loop, your point about the Banner Elk-Newland comment is on target; obviously that is vague; I think of this entrance as being sort of behind the old Eseola Lodge and community. Isn't that sort of between Banner Elk and Newland? I suppose it depends which road you take. But don't take my route; use the map :)

Thanks for helping me clarify, AO. I am recovering from surgery and admittedly a little mentally foggy. :o Always nice to run across a fellow Boone-Goon

Alleghanian Orogeny
09-21-2012, 10:05
GC,

It's semantics, probably.

Yah, coming from good old Boone I'd go to Linville and hie off to Lost Cove/Jonas Ridge, etc, from there. And a fairly roundabout way to get from Linville to Newland would go by the turn-off, for sure. The most well-traveled and direct route between Linville and Boone does not go by the turn-off, however.

Repeating a couple of comments in my previous: I've looked at the Grandfather Mountain website at www.grandfather.com and was pleased to see there are 4 pack-in campsites in the Boone Fork basin, accessed from the Nuwati Trail/Boone Fork trailhead on the BRP, maybe 3-4 miles south of Price Park. A campsite there gives the opportunity to day-hike up the Crag Way Trail to the Daniel Boone Scout Trail to the summit of Grandfather, Calloway Peak. Between the Crag Way/DBST junction and the summit, there are 3 more campsites and the High Balsam Shelter. The morning views to the east from any of these should be spectacular in clear weather, and booking the High Balsam would preclude having to pack a tent, rainfly, etc.

I see the MTS trail follows the Tanawa Trail into Price Park, then follows one portion of the Boone Fork Loop down Bee Tree Creek and up the steep part alongside the Hebron Colony Cascades before crossing Boone Fork Creek, crossing Old Johns River Turnpike trail, to Shulls Mill Road. What's not shown on that map is that the MST connects to the Moses Cone Park Carriage Trail system just above Shulls Mill Rd. A really great day hike from a campsite at Price Park CG would be following the MST into Cone Park, use the Cone Park trail system to Trout Lake, then the short distance down Shulls Mill Rd to Green Knob, connect to the Green Knob Trail through NPS land butting up against Shulls Mill Rd, and back down to the BRP at Sims Pond/Old Johns River Turnpike/BRP intersection. From there it's about a half-mile along the BRP back to the campground.

AO

on_the_GOEZ
09-21-2012, 10:42
Also, if there are any backpacking couples out there that would like to give me some pointers, they would be much appreciated. Like I said, I usually go solo and have never really had to worry about someone else's pace or comfort.
James

From my experience, backpacking can be hard with a SO but in general is a great exercise for relationships. It involves TONS of communication, teamwork, and, if your fiance is inexperienced, patience with her. Like others have said, make sure she is completely aware what walking/sleeping outdoors entails as far as sanitary issues, camping, wildlife, etc. My SO did the AT the year before I did so so was actually teaching me some things!

Also, +1 to bring a bottle of wine (or some other major comfort you wouldnt necessarily bring alone) to ease some apprehension and feel more comfortable at night.

hikestofish
09-21-2012, 23:16
Thanks for all the advice, especially all the people that insisted I be patient. Being a Type-A personality, I have had to work very hard to overcome my lack of patience. I see it as a challenge and a challenge or obstacle in my path has never once got the best of me. Five years ago a doctor told me that I would never be able to move my left thumb or, essentially, use my left hand every again (this was after a near amputation of my thumb). My left hand is probably my stronger hand now and I have no feeling in my left thumb so it never gets cold like the rest of my fingers do...bonus! Seriously though, thank you!

James

rgardn12
09-23-2012, 13:48
Good Luck Hikes and let us know how it goes!

I have been tinkering with the idea of taking my Fiancee out with me as well since she always asks "what is it about being in the middle of no-where that you like so much!?" lol

About a year ago we did a good 7mi loop of waterfalls at DuPont and she loved it so hopefully I'll get her out and about to learn what it is that many of us love!

trapper
09-25-2012, 08:53
Thanks for the insight and helpful response. I'm sure I'll get a resounding response from the first sentence...With all due respect I'd rather people not comment on my mindset considering none of you know me or anything about me. When I'm not doing my Infantry thing I'm probably one of the most laid back guys you will ever come across. So, like I said, thanks for the well thought out and insightful response. Have a good day.we may not know you but you stated your mindset on your first post...ie comfort is secondary to completing the mission....so don't get all butt sore when someone post a comment about your tough guy statement...i would say he meant nothing negative with the statement...loosen up gi Joe

Marta
09-25-2012, 09:36
Here's an idea from the hiking goddess herself, Odyssa, aka Jennifer Pharr Davis:

When she and her new husband wanted to start hiking together, the natural tendency was for her to do all the planning and to lead the expedition. After their first big trip together (Colorado Trail), they turned that around. The next summer he was in charge of where, which trails, and all the other planning. They've continued to do this back and forth swapping of being expedition leaders.