PDA

View Full Version : to Gortex or not to Gortex, that is the question

TickPicker
05-07-2005, 16:28
When it comes to hiking boots/shoes, does it really help that much to have gortex? I mean, if your shoes/boots fill up with water while you're hiking aren't you going to get wet anyway? It sure makes a difference in prices. I'd like your 'pinions...................:sun

Steve
the land of the dimpled chad

SGT Rock
05-07-2005, 16:47
Just think about it this way: if it wasn't raining would you want to wear a goretex shirt? If the answer is no, then think about how much more your feet sweat. Get some foot ware that breathes, and if you want goretex, get some gortex socks to put on in wet weather.

stickman
05-07-2005, 17:16
I agree with the Sarge, but unfortunately its getting harder and harder to find shoes in many sizes that aren't lined with some WP barrier. I wear a 14B and except in a few running shoes, its almost impossible. I wish the boot makers would give us more choices.

Stickman

Footslogger
05-07-2005, 17:50
Gortex works ...but it's not the perfect solution in all cases. Problem with Gortex (as Rock pointed out) is that the same thing that keeps water out ...also keeps water in. I used to demonstrate Gortex, using a sample "mit" from a pair of Gortex gloves. I'd have the customer put the Gortex mit on one hand and a regular plastic mit on the other and them stick both of them in a bucket of water. They'd stick both into the water and after the few minutes they'd tell me that both hands were dry but the hand covered in plastic felt "clammy".

I think the key is not to expect too much from Gortex. It works great to shed "casual moisture" from boots/shoes when hiking in wet grass. That said, Gortex does tend to make footwear a bit warmer and can cause a foot to sweat if the conditions outside the boot are warm/wet. Hikers who use Gortex lined boots/shoes out west where the temps tend to be cooler and the humidity is lower seem to like Gortex more.

For what it's worth ...

'Slogger

rpettit
05-07-2005, 18:33
I wear Asolo GTX lightweight hikers, they are gortex lined. I used to wear boots that were not gortex lined. I haven't noticed any difference in how much my feet sweat inside the boot. But I must add that my feet sweat alot anyway. Though, I like walking on wet trails and rock hopping without getting the inside of my boots wet from water entering through the boot seams. I'll stick with gortex.

stupe
05-07-2005, 18:57
I found that when GoreTex boots finally get wet ( and they will if you hike in rain for a week, or you walk through wet vegetation ), they take days to dry. My unlined leather boots dry much quicker, on my feet or off.

neo
05-08-2005, 11:17
in all my years of hiking i have discoverd my feet are gonna get wet

i just wear stuff that dries quicker:cool: neo

Peaks
05-08-2005, 18:44
IMHO, I think that the primary benefit of Gore-Tex in a hiking boot is a theoretical statement indicating quality components in the hiking boot, rather than any real or perceived actual benefit devired from the Gore-Tex product itself. Does that make sense?

Kozmic Zian
05-08-2005, 21:34
IMHO, I think that the primary benefit of Gore-Tex in a hiking boot is a theoretical statement indicating quality components in the hiking boot, rather than any real or perceived actual benefit devired from the Gore-Tex product itself. Does that make sense?Yea....I don't know, Peaks. I think the manufacturors would have us believe that. The Gortex shoes and boots seem to cost more, but do they do things that an unlined boot/shoe can't? IMHO, no. It's a matter of getting the right boot/shoe for your foot and using the right waterproofing accessory for that boot/shoe. I have found that an all leather, seemless boot, that has been properly waterproofed by the hiker/wearer, and done so often enough, will allow one to stand in water or walk thru wet vegetation all day with rain or snow, and not suffer wet feet. Some would say that a very light, running shoe type is better, and I can see how that could work too, 'cause you just get your feet wet and then let them air out by walking in them. But, I don't like wet feet period. I opt for the solid, all leather, seemless hiking boots with plenty of ankle support and underfoot support (full shank). I just don't feel comfortable in 'nothing shoes' for a long distance, over rugged terrain type hike. But, you better break 'um in good before you go, conditioning your feet ('Trail Hardening') for blisters....and get used to the weight on your foot, because they are not the 'ultralight' way. It's called 'trade-offs'....and most of the things and gear that we buy will exist in that realm....trading off comfort for weight. CHOICES....that's what it's all about, and that's how these forums and posts work, by giving hikers a chance to sample input from lots 'o folks who have the experience and knowledge to know why, and say so. KZ@;)

Ridge
05-09-2005, 00:40
My husband has used Gortex boots, hated them, feet too hot and gets wetter sooner. He says work or hunting boots are fine with Gortex, hiking boots are not. hikerwife

NICKTHEGREEK
05-09-2005, 06:23
I wear GTX boots and I don't notice any difference between them and non-GTX as far as making my feet hot/sweat more. Now how much of that has to do with the type/brand of socks I wear, how often I change socks, how much my feet perspire,etc I don't know? I do know that I notice that in wet weather my feet and the inside of my boot stays dry even though the outer part of the boot is fully saturated. I know that even hiking along the beach in full summer, goretex boots don't turn my feet into virtual geysers of sweat.
It would be utterly stupid of me to say what works for me MUST by extension, work for you, but I would definately go the GTX route again.

Peaks
05-09-2005, 07:53
Yea....I don't know, Peaks. . KZ@;)

OK, let's put it this way. If a popular major boot manufacturer, such as Vasque, sold 2 boots identical with the only difference being that one had Gore-Tex and the other did not, would I buy the Gore-Tex model to reap the physical benefits of Gore-Tex? Probably not.

What is key for me in boots is fit. So, when buying replacement hiking boots, I select the one that fits best. And if it has Gore-Tex, then so be it. I would not turn down a boot just becaue it did or did not have Gore-Tex.

tlbj6142
05-09-2005, 08:42
I had a pair of non-lined shoes (NB806, I'm wearing them now!) and having your feet get soaked when it is not raining really sucks. They were still wet 2 days later. Of course they have the "issue" I describe below....

So, I recently purchased a pairt of XCR lined running shoes (something from Nike). They are great. I can walk with puddles and mud without getting my feet soaked. I only wear 1 or 2 pairs of thin dress socks (~$2.75 for 3 pair at Wal-Mart) and I take my shoes off 3-4 times per day during breaks. It works for me.

Here is the "issue"...

One thing to look out for when purchasing GTX shoes/boots is how much plastic and heavy leather they wrap on top of the GTX liner (the GTX stuff is always the inner layer). Many shoes (and some boots) have plastic covering the lower third to one-half of the shoe. I don't care what sort of fancy WB material you have behind the plastic, but it ain't gonna breathe. Same with shoes/boots covered with heavy "leather" (usually man-made so I'm not sure how well it breathes). So, I look for shoes/boots that are GTX lined and are not covered with some sort of non-breathable material. They are much harder to find than you might think. Good luck.

NICKTHEGREEK
05-10-2005, 19:05
I had a pair of non-lined shoes (NB806, I'm wearing them now!) and having your feet get soaked when it is not raining really sucks. They were still wet 2 days later. Of course they have the "issue" I describe below....

So, I recently purchased a pairt of XCR lined running shoes (something from Nike). They are great. I can walk with puddles and mud without getting my feet soaked. I only wear 1 or 2 pairs of thin dress socks (~$2.75 for 3 pair at Wal-Mart) and I take my shoes off 3-4 times per day during breaks. It works for me.

Here is the "issue"...

One thing to look out for when purchasing GTX shoes/boots is how much plastic and heavy leather they wrap on top of the GTX liner (the GTX stuff is always the inner layer). Many shoes (and some boots) have plastic covering the lower third to one-half of the shoe. I don't care what sort of fancy WB material you have behind the plastic, but it ain't gonna breathe. Same with shoes/boots covered with heavy "leather" (usually man-made so I'm not sure how well it breathes). So, I look for shoes/boots that are GTX lined and are not covered with some sort of non-breathable material. They are much harder to find than you might think. Good luck.
Excellent point, today I noticed that Lowa has decreased the amount of rand covering the toes of the new Renegade II goretex boots and I asked my self why, now I see a possible reason.

Big Dawg
05-15-2005, 09:19
I'm considering the Vasque Velocity Trail Runners, & am trying to decide between non Gor-tex & the Gor-tex XCR. Does anyone know more or have feedback about the "XCR" Gor-tex? It seems like XCR was created to address the concerns about feet heating up too much, etc. Thanks!

kentucky99
05-15-2005, 10:01
gorjunk or not? well very overated I think you find a good pair of trail shoes or boots salomon makes a very good trails shoe and others do, dont be gortexed lured its just not important,my theory is try a mid priced shoe boot than if you choose try another down the road,I had nikes acg out west in sierra nevadas and well I actually did alot of stream walking because of my blue blazing spirit,well I would get lost alot:) and they were great but I have used many others too,the shoe helps but its the hiker that makes it work,if you are a ruff hiker like myself try a good boot.I never wear gortex clothing rather wear wool:dance ky

tlbj6142
05-16-2005, 09:02
Does anyone know more or have feedback about the "XCR" Gor-tex? Its just their "best" product. Its more breathable than non-XCR. I'm too lazy right now to lookup the numbers, but their is an article on www.backpackinglight.com (http://www.backpackinglight.com) which shows breathability numbers (from lab tests) on several WB products, including "old" GorTex and XCR.