PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Pad Suggestions for a Side Sleeping Thru Hiker

ParkRat09
09-18-2012, 20:50
I have 3 sleeping pads already but I don't think any of them will work for my thru-hike mostly bc they are not comfortable when I sleep on my side. What have people used/seen on the trail for thru-hikes?

Gillum
09-18-2012, 20:54
What sleeping pads do you own? Why do you think they will not be a good pad for your thru?

Rasty
09-18-2012, 20:55
Check out the REI Stratus pad. I just got one today for $90. The large size is my new luxury item at 25 ounces. The regular size is $10 less and 20 ounces. The fabrics heavy duty and its very comfortable. Only took less than two minutes to blow up. Plus it's an REI and they will replace it if it leaks.

Don H
09-18-2012, 20:55
Thermarest NeoAir. I own several pads, this one is by far the most comfortable one I have. I've probably got 200 nights on it and it's still holding up.
Also only 14 oz.!

swjohnsey
09-18-2012, 20:57
Second the Neoair. You can adjust like a sleep number bed. Very durable and light.

ParkRat09
09-18-2012, 21:02
Thermarest NeoAir. I own several pads, this one is by far the most comfortable one I have. I've probably got 200 nights on it and it's still holding up.
Also only 14 oz.!

X-Lite? I sell that pad at my store and it looks awesome I am just worried about the durability night in and night out for 5 months

G.G.
09-18-2012, 21:15
Xtherm. Two oz heavier. 5.7 R-value. more durable materials.

colorado_rob
09-18-2012, 21:15
X-Lite? I sell that pad at my store and it looks awesome I am just worried about the durability night in and night out for 5 months If it's 14 oz, chances are it's the old style Neo Air, which I also have (but in 3/4 length, 9.5 oz) and it works well for me, a fellow side-sleeper.

ParkRat09
09-18-2012, 21:16
Xtherm. Two oz heavier. 5.7 R-value. more durable materials.

Yea we sell that too and it looks awesome! Worried that it'll be way to warm for those later months

ParkRat09
09-18-2012, 21:17
If it's 14 oz, chances are it's the old style Neo Air, which I also have (but in 3/4 length, 9.5 oz) and it works well for me, a fellow side-sleeper.

Does it not drive you crazy having your feet hang off of a 2.5" thick pad? I do that with my Pro-Lite but it's only 1" thick

yellowsirocco
09-18-2012, 21:26
I'm a side sleeper and use 1/4 inch closed cell foam. I say, get used to sleeping on the hard ground. OP is 25, only the geriatrics need these blow up toys.

http://youtu.be/unkIVvjZc9Y

colorado_rob
09-18-2012, 21:30
Does it not drive you crazy having your feet hang off of a 2.5" thick pad? I do that with my Pro-Lite but it's only 1" thick Since I'm already there (crazy), no, not really. Seriously, I really don't notice it. One reason might be is that I keep my NeoAir fairly low, just inflated enough to keep my hips and shoulders off the ground. So my legs hanging off the back end are in a "low pocket" and might be only an inch above the ground. A fully inflated Neo Air is not comfortable at all for me.

Ender
09-18-2012, 21:34
I'll also suggest a NeoAir. I was shocked how comfortable it is. I got the largest size, and it's like sleeping on a real bed practically. I can toss and turn and not fall off the pad. Also surprisingly durable... haven't had any leaks yet. One thing though, make sure you carry a patch kit, just in case it develops a leak.

Drybones
09-18-2012, 21:34
Exped synmat 7, of the 5 I own it's by far the best.

ParkRat09
09-18-2012, 21:51
I'm a side sleeper and use 1/4 inch closed cell foam. I say, get used to sleeping on the hard ground. OP is 25, only the geriatrics need these blow up toys.

Ha that guy is hilarious

ParkRat09
09-18-2012, 21:52
Exped synmat 7, of the 5 I own it's by far the best.

Length and weight? How does is pack up?

jakedatc
09-18-2012, 21:54
Price range? from lowest to highest.. Big Agnes Air Core, Klymit Static V ( i have both of these) , Thermarest Neo Air of some variety.

all are 2-2.5" of all air and good for on your side.

jakedatc
09-18-2012, 21:55

32.. quite skinny so bony hips do not agree with closed cell. having 2" of air is comfy and sleep is important. hiking is hard enough, rest should be easy.

leaftye
09-18-2012, 21:59
I find that whether I use an inflatable or foam pad, it's nice to have a small foam sit pad to put under my shoulders and hips.

Drybones
09-18-2012, 22:00
Length and weight? How does is pack up?

72 x 20...16 oz...quieter than the neo air...softer material...packs about the size of a soda can...warm.

colorado_rob
09-18-2012, 22:01
Just a heads up: Campmor has the older model NeoAir 3/4 length on sale at $79 (reg. $129). I bought a second one some time ago, assuming my original one will crap out eventually (I've used it maybe 60-80 nights over three years, still fine).

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40750

Drybones
09-18-2012, 22:03
72 x 20...16 oz...quieter than the neo air...softer material...packs about the size of a soda can...warm.

Forgot to mention...2.5" thick...I spend half the night on my side, the other half on my back...downside, expensive.

Deacon
09-18-2012, 22:18
Forgot to mention...2.5" thick...I spend half the night on my side, the other half on my back...downside, expensive.

The Exped is actually 2.8" thick, and 21" wide while the Neo Air is only 19" wide inflated. The best feature of the Exped is the outermost tubes are larger than the inner tubes, which helps keep you from rolling off the pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yellowsirocco
09-18-2012, 22:24
32.. quite skinny so bony hips do not agree with closed cell. having 2" of air is comfy and sleep is important. hiking is hard enough, rest should be easy.

If you are having trouble sleeping after a day of hiking then you havn't hiked far enough.

jakedatc
09-18-2012, 22:37
If you are having trouble sleeping after a day of hiking then you havn't hiked far enough.

having bruised hips from a wimpy pad is not comfortable. 18-20mi days far enough for you?

shelb
09-18-2012, 23:59
I bought a Nemo this year, and it is SO loud! I wake myself up moving around! I am looking at getting an Exped or NeoAir...

Deco
09-19-2012, 00:47
Yes the exped U L
rocks!!!! Wife and I used them this summer on a 165 mile section hike in Maine. Best new piece of equipment I've gotten in years.

lynn523
09-19-2012, 00:55
+1 on the exped 7 ul. I'm a side and stomach sleeper and never had a truly comfortable night of sleep backpacking until I got my 16 oz exped that gives me 2.5 inches of air. I even slept well when the only place to pitch a tent was on root or rock.

hikingshoes
09-19-2012, 05:29
I love my Neoair All season!!! and I have a bad back too. I sleep on my back and have no pain,I sleep on my side no pain... HYOH,HS

snowrider1120
10-19-2012, 13:29
Just a heads up: Campmor has the older model NeoAir 3/4 length on sale at $79 (reg. $129). I bought a second one some time ago, assuming my original one will crap out eventually (I've used it maybe 60-80 nights over three years, still fine).

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40750

Thanks so much for the link! looks a great bargain..and just what i needed

FlyPaper
10-19-2012, 13:45
I have 3 sleeping pads already but I don't think any of them will work for my thru-hike mostly bc they are not comfortable when I sleep on my side. What have people used/seen on the trail for thru-hikes?

As a side sleeper, I have a 1" therm-o-rest. I've found some ways to improve the side sleeping experience.

First, the sleeping bag slides easily on the sleeping pad. A key for side sleeping for me is to have a certain bend
in my knees. But ordinarily it is impossible for me to both bend my knees at the proper angle and relax, because due
to the slickness, my legs straighten too far when they're relaxed. So two things. One I put something on or under
my sleeping pad a little below my knees so I can keep my legs bent and still relax them. Two, if the ground is unlevel,
I put something very thin under my sleeping pad just below my hips to keep myself from gradually sliding downhill through
the night. The last few hikes I've had my best sleep ever on the trail.

Dogwood
10-19-2012, 18:19
Neo Air and other inflatable pads need not be totally inflated. Partially inflate and see if that's more comfy for you as a side sleeper. You might try that IF you have inflatable pads already. I'm a side sleeper tossing from side to side and onto my back as I sleep. Depending on what the ground underneath my pad is I inflate as needed for comfort. If on duff, pine needles, softer ground etc I'll sometimes create(dig) a slight depression in the ground underneath my pad where my hips contact the ground. IF partially inflating something like a Neo Air pad avoid plopping down on it with your body or gear as this pad and a few other UL ones need that extra bit of TLC.

trapper
10-19-2012, 21:00
regular size neo xlite. i think its 9oz?? so comfy and quieter than the original neo...i love it...2.5" pad for 9oz is crazy light and crazy small...im 225lbs and no probs yet with 25 nights on it expensive but worth every penny...exped. downmat 7 for winter with integrated pump pain in the ass to pump up but so warm and comfortable like 30oz i think?

skinewmexico
10-20-2012, 15:40
Exped UL 7, or a POE Ether Thermo 6. I somehow missed the Thermarest koolaid when it came around. Probably because I went to an insulated air mattress before Thermarest bothered to make one.