PDA

View Full Version : When to get new shoes?

brill540
09-18-2012, 22:11
Well.. I've had these shoes (Merrell Moad Ventilator Low) for about two years now. Only done a few section hikes in them, but I've been wearing them every day. They have about 4 different types of paint on them, oil stains, grease stains, the strings are worn so bad they're about to split in two, and, well, you get the idea.

But they seem alright!

So, I'm planning a new section hike soon.. and well, new shoes or not? I figure with some new insoles and strings they'll be fine.

When do you guys buy new shoes?

Rasty
09-18-2012, 22:14
You got your ninety dollars worth. Don't turn it into a $400 medical bill if they fail 20 miles from a road.

Gray Blazer
09-18-2012, 23:01
Sounds like you almost have them broken in.

Seriously ... when you start slipping on the wet rocks or that very hard packed mud ... you might need new shoes.

Odd Man Out
09-18-2012, 23:29
My old Moabs are now the lawn mowing shoes and the new ventillators get worn to work every day. Old shoes don't die, the just cut the grass.

Moose2001
09-18-2012, 23:30
The support is usually gone before the tread is worn out. I'd suspect you've pushed them about far enough. I'd suggest buying a new pair.

Don H
09-19-2012, 07:55
You can end up with some major foot problems using shoes where the support has failed, even though they still look good.
Generally the lighter the shoe the faster it wears out.