PDA

View Full Version : First time Thru Hike Northbound. Any advice?

randyadams48
09-19-2012, 09:28
Hello, I'm starting to plan a thru hike of the A.T. I live in California and I do a lot of backpacking so i have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting into. I just wanted to know any insider tips, or things to consider. Really any advice at this point would be great. Thanks

Lone Wolf
09-19-2012, 09:36
start around april 15th and plan to finish around october 1st. don't do mail drops for food. do NOT stay in shelters. tent or hammock instead. have $4000 to $5000 for the hike

Spokes
09-19-2012, 09:41
Here's two links that are AT specific:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/ATC-StepByStep.pdf

This is a 10 page article from Backpacker Magazine that includes a good summary of what to expect in each major section, plus etiquette tips (ignore the pop-up).

http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530

Cheers!

swjohnsey
09-19-2012, 09:41
I would start and finish a couple of weeks earlier. There are a couple of spots where a mail drop is nice, Harpers Ferry bein' one. Figure to spend about 1/2 your time on the last third of the trip. I have never heard anyone complain that their pack is too light.

Grampie
09-19-2012, 09:50
Advise? #1, Have enough money. Around $5,000. #2, Have enough time. 6 months. #3, Have a lot of luck on your side.
I would not do mail drops for resupply. Don't bother with a bounce box. Walk bare foot as much as possiable to toughfen up your feet. Most of all, Hike your own hike.

yellowsirocco
09-19-2012, 10:11
Walk bare foot as much as possiable to toughfen up your feet.
And if you can't go barefoot then still walk with shoes on. Feet take the longest (for me at least) to toughen up and you feel it with every step. Walk everywhere beforehand: work, grocery store, beer run, friends house. Anywhere you can find the time. Your feet will be happier, you will spend less on gas, you will be healthier. And if you don't have the time to walk, then bike.

Maddog
09-19-2012, 10:17
start around april 15th and plan to finish around october 1st. don't do mail drops for food. do NOT stay in shelters. tent or hammock instead. have $4000 to $5000 for the hike

+1 Maddog:D

Moose2001
09-19-2012, 11:23

Good advice here. My only exception would be there are several places where having a maildrop will make things easier for you. Those are few and far between though! Enjoy the hike, walk at your own pace, stay out of the social drama of the trail and just get up every day and walk!

randyadams48
09-19-2012, 19:40
Thanks for the advice, Can you clue me in on social drama on the trail. Does that even happen, how? It's not High School, its the woods. Also someone recommended not staying in the shelters. Why?

randyadams48
09-19-2012, 19:44
Also, why do I need so much money? I know I'll have to resupply. Food and such, but I don't even spend that much just being at home. I want to be prepared, so that's why I ask.

Lone Wolf
09-19-2012, 19:58
Thanks for the advice, Can you clue me in on social drama on the trail. Does that even happen, how? It's not High School, its the woods. Also someone recommended not staying in the shelters. Why?

Also, why do I need so much money? I know I'll have to resupply. Food and such, but I don't even spend that much just being at home. I want to be prepared, so that's why I ask.
hikers form cliques early on. just like high school. shelters are small, crowded, dirty, mice ridden boxes. folks snore, fart, come and go at all hours etc., etc.

you'll need a lot of cash for restaurants, hostels, hotels, beer, shuttles, etc.

max patch
09-19-2012, 20:09
[QUOTE=randyadams48;1339627 Also someone recommended not staying in the shelters. Why?[/QUOTE]

Do you like sleeping shoulder to shoulder like sardines in a can with smelly strangers?

And then you've got the smokers. The snorers. The farters. The fornicators and masturbaters. The wet dog thats gonna curl up next to your sleeping bag. The guy that shows up at midnite. The guy that sets his f'n alarm for 5 am. The old guy with the enlarged prostate that gets up every hour to take a leak. The mice that run through your hair.

And thats the Readers Digest Version.

MJW155
09-19-2012, 20:24

You are going to blow money in town. I hiked from Springer to Clingmans Dome in April. I spent $500 in those 3 weeks. You will get into town and be so hungry you don't care that you are paying $25 for pizza and beer. Then add in breakfast and lunch, food on a zero day can run $30-40. You will stay in hotels from time to time unless you like living like a bum. That's another $30-50. A day off can run $100. Take a day off once a week for 6 months and it's $2,500 give or take. It's easy to sit at home and say you won't stay in town. It's a whole different story when you hike 3 days w/o a shower and someone offers a ride to town and you didn't plan on stopping for another 3 days. If I were to hike the whole thing I would make sure my legs and feet are up to the grind. My quads were really sore at times. If you are overweight, lose it. Get a decent backpack. I had a nice one and it never bothered me. Don't be afraid to bring extra clothing until you get into VA when the weather is warmer. I regretted getting rid of some warm clothing once I got to the Smokies. I wouldn't make that mistake again. Make sure you eat something every 2 hours and don't freak about drinking water straight from a stream. I purified my water the first 2 days and said "F it." Never got sick and never worried about getting sick. If I was in doubt, I purified it or didn't use it at all. But if it was fast flowing water, I was fine. What else? If you are going alone, buddy up w/ someone. It helps A LOT. Splitting rooms and rides to town is good. Try to get your feet calloused as much as you can before you start. Blisters are a bitch. You are from out west, so East Coast weather may surprise you. You WILL get wet. Your feet WILL be soaked. Prepare for that.

Deadeye
09-19-2012, 20:47
Be fully aware that Eastern weather is far different from Western weather! It's wetter. The rain is wetter, the snow is wetter, the air is wetter, the ground is wetter.

Grampie
09-19-2012, 22:00
Staying in shelters is something you will have to deside on by yourself. Shelters are a place thru-hikers gather at the end of the day and talk about their hiking experiences. If you don't like sleeping in a shelter than pitch your tent near by.
You will need money for food resupply, eating a couple of good meals in town and staying in a hostel or motel once in a while. You may need to purchase new equiptment along the way, decide to pay for a shuttle to slack pack. Having money to spend helps to make your thru experience better.

MJW155
09-19-2012, 23:58
I personally thought there was a clique feel to the shelters. I didn't like it. My take was people try to sound and look "bad ass" and tried to impress me. I didn't care for it.

Odd Man Out
09-20-2012, 00:13
Do you like sleeping shoulder to shoulder like sardines in a can with smelly strangers? And then you've got the smokers. The snorers. The farters. The fornicators and masturbaters.

And that's just the mice. The people are pretty obnoxious too.

Don H
09-20-2012, 08:13
I got some good advice in Georgia from a 2x thru hiker. He said "When you get to Vermont turn right".
You'll figure it out when you get there!

BenLeaman
09-20-2012, 10:29
While in Franklin, NC send a food drop to Fontana Dam Post Office. The Fontana General Store is crazy expensive.

BenLeaman
09-20-2012, 10:35
Oh yeah, MJW155 said $100 per zero day. I think that is pretty much dead on. Everyone I hiked with said the same thing "Every time I go into town, I spend at least $100." For me it was usually more because I have terrible spending habits. It adds up quick...
Food, beer, food, resupply, food, hostel, food, more beer, food, postage to send things home, food and repeat everytime you are in town.

Old Hiker
09-20-2012, 10:46
While in Franklin, NC send a food drop to Fontana Dam Post Office. The Fontana General Store is crazy expensive.

They were out of my fuel canisters as well, but you can't ship those forward. Thanks to other hikers in Franklin who clued me in plus Outdoor 76 who stayed open after hours to help me and others out, I was able to ship stuff forward to Fontana. It helped me a lot through the Smokies.

Oh yeah, MJW155 said $100 per zero day. I think that is pretty much dead on. Everyone I hiked with said the same thing "Every time I go into town, I spend at least $100." For me it was usually more because I have terrible spending habits. It adds up quick...
Food, beer, food, resupply, food, hostel, food, more beer, food, postage to send things home, food and repeat everytime you are in town.

My Trail Journal actually says that I "bled money" when I was in town. My fault. Gear sometimes, but food mostly.

peakbagger
09-20-2012, 11:03
Some comments from someone who section hiked the trail.

The prior advice about eastern weather being different than western bears repeating. In the spring, plan on two days of wet weather for every one dry day and sometimes its 4 or 5 wet days for 1 dry day. Later on in the summer in the mid atlantic and north it tends to shift the other way but many folks arent ready for cold wet windy conditions early on and I expect that is one reason why some drop out early. At some point you will be cold wet and miserable with all your gear wet or damp. Beyond standing in front of a smudge pot of a fire in the drizzle, a break in town gets to look real attractive.

Unless you are a "monk" and have a lot of self control, towns will drag you in an suck more money out of you than you plan. The local vendors have figured out what thru hikers want over the years and have refined their business models to cater to the hiker wants and needs. Even if you dont want to go into town, others that are hiking with you are going to and for many younger folks, its tough to get out of synch with a group that they have been hiking with. As you head north, the costs go up for town services but its easy to just keep wanting the same wants and needs so you budget takes a hit.

EllieMP
09-20-2012, 11:51
Hello.. Are there grocery stores to buy food at rather than always eating at restaurants?

Don H
09-20-2012, 12:28
Hello.. Are there grocery stores to buy food at rather than always eating at restaurants?
Yes and they are listed in the resupply article found on the WB home page which is kind of dated. Also more up to date information can be found in the guide books. I recommend The AT Guide by David Miller.

BenLeaman
09-20-2012, 12:44

Yes, in most towns there are.
For me, after months of cooking every meal, I wanted cooked food brought to me with no effort on my part.

IrishBASTARD
09-20-2012, 17:36
I did my thru on clif bars and snickers...NOTHING but clif bars and snickers. OFF trail I went wild spending large amounts for food while zeroing or the morning of. That to me was extremely stupid. Suggest perhaps when you hit Springer or before...hit up some super markets. Bounce box items up to you...mine lasted until Port Clinton Pa. As well dont short change you're adventure. Sadly for many this is once in a lifetime trip. As well sleeping in shelters after a few weeks will suck...where that HOTEL room looked nicer and NICER. Do as you want obviously but the A.T is not just some trail and hikers are not just some smelly people. The trail for me spelled Freedom and the people were very cool and accepting.

Spokes
09-20-2012, 19:20
....Also someone recommended not staying in the shelters. Why?

I preferred shelters. I'm an extrovert and didn't like wasting time putting up/taking down a tent especially in the rain. Yes, I carried one, and tented on occasion.

You'll save money if you don't become a town hound and focus on hiking instead of partying.

randyadams48
09-20-2012, 19:59
Thanks again everybody. I am from Kentucky but now like in California. The weather here is much more temperate. I do a lot of hiking and backpacking and work outside for a living so I feel pretty good about the shape I'm in. I haven't missed a weekend of backpacking for 2 months. I plan on training thur what is are winter in Northern Cali, A lot of rain and snow if I get into the high elevation. I figured that would be the case for the shelters, I was planning to tent anyway. Always do. I am going on my own but I am open to the idea of finding a partner or a group. I'm not even sure how to go about that but I know one thing I avoid drama like the plague! Also I don't drink, just don't like too anymore so that will be a small savings. Again, Thanks so much. If you ever want to just slap me with some advice or thoughts feel free.

Spokes
09-20-2012, 20:09
Most folks get a trail family pretty quickly, that is, if they want one. You decide....

ParkRat09
09-20-2012, 22:45
Thanks again everybody. I am from Kentucky but now like in California. The weather here is much more temperate. I do a lot of hiking and backpacking and work outside for a living so I feel pretty good about the shape I'm in. I haven't missed a weekend of backpacking for 2 months. I plan on training thur what is are winter in Northern Cali, A lot of rain and snow if I get into the high elevation. I figured that would be the case for the shelters, I was planning to tent anyway. Always do. I am going on my own but I am open to the idea of finding a partner or a group. I'm not even sure how to go about that but I know one thing I avoid drama like the plague! Also I don't drink, just don't like too anymore so that will be a small savings. Again, Thanks so much. If you ever want to just slap me with some advice or thoughts feel free.

When/where are you starting?

ParkRat09
09-20-2012, 22:46
Oh well I guess you're starting in GA since the title of the post has Northbounder in it haha

Nooga
09-30-2012, 11:37
i would start earlier. I started April 6 and experienced the heat from VA to CT. I would start early March and deal with the cold down south to avoid the heat.

Moose2001
09-30-2012, 11:45
i would start earlier. I started April 6 and experienced the heat from VA to CT. I would start early March and deal with the cold down south to avoid the heat.

YMMV!!!! I'd much rather deal with some heat in VA and New England than the snow and cold in the south!

Don H
09-30-2012, 14:17
YMMV!!!! I'd much rather deal with some heat in VA and New England than the snow and cold in the south!
I enjoyed hiking in the snow in the Smokys, didn't think much of the over 100* day between Palmerton and Wind Gap, PA!

Mr Breeze
09-30-2012, 14:48
I just finished my thru hike on the 27th. I started on the 23rd of March, and finished on Sept. 27th. I stayed in 3 Hostels along the way, and did not stay in town once. I took my zeroes in the woods, and did not eat in town until Hanover, NH. I re supplied as i went along and did not have maildrops. And i spent a total of $2,500. So i would say the budget will depend on whether or not you are going to stay in town often, or slackpack and have to pay for shuttles. But what i spent was nothing compared to other hikers i met this year. The ones who did stay in town often taking multiple zeroes, and slackpacking di easily spend $5,000.

straydog2012
10-31-2012, 21:25
a lot depends on what kind of hike you want. and what your resources are. 100 a zero is right if you can spend it but do not let money stop you. I think 1 a mile if you do not smoke, drink or stay in hotels is reasonable you same money in the south send in the north

Datto
11-04-2012, 08:40
Here's a Whiteblaze link to my Datto's AT Thru-Hiking Tips that you might find useful:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?181-Datto-s-AT-Thru-Hiking-Tips

Datto

Drybones
11-04-2012, 17:04
Spend time around the shelters to "socialize", sleep elsewhere. It's like college, if your a partier you need a lot of funds, if not, you can get by with little. Get up when you want, go to bed when you want. Dont follow others, enjoy the company at hand. Go home when if stops being fun.

MuddyWaters
11-04-2012, 20:39
Pack light. Very , very , light.

swjohnsey
11-04-2012, 23:07
Yep, lighter is better.

Lumberjack2003
11-05-2012, 07:01
I started April 9th and it snowed the next day. Not much and it melted right away. So I recommend that you start after April 1st.

I started with low miles for the first 2 weeks and I think it really helped me finish.

Giantsbane
11-08-2012, 21:47
. . .The fornicators and masturbaters

. . .Seriously?

Astro
11-08-2012, 22:33
Spend time around the shelters to "socialize", sleep elsewhere. It's like college, if your a partier you need a lot of funds, if not, you can get by with little. Get up when you want, go to bed when you want. Dont follow others, enjoy the company at hand. Go home when if stops being fun.

Drybones, your college analogy is a great one.

Astro
11-08-2012, 22:37
I started April 9th and it snowed the next day. Not much and it melted right away. So I recommend that you start after April 1st.

I started with low miles for the first 2 weeks and I think it really helped me finish.

For what is worth, I have always heard avoid the "actual" 1st and 15th of the month, unless you just really want to start with a big crowd. Of course over time things will shake out, but a lot people target those "magic" first and middle of the month dates to start.

swjohnsey
11-08-2012, 22:43
Also, if you are flyin' in Tuesday and Wednesday a generally the cheapest days.

lonehiker
11-13-2012, 01:34
I attempted my thru-hike in 2008 so I'm sure prices have gone up since then but I recall my on-trail food costs (with incidentals) being about $7.00 a day. 180 x 7 = 1,260 and that is just for food.....

q-tip
11-13-2012, 07:30
Lose some weight and get fit--GA is a bear and for keeping it light, losing some weight is the least expensive way to lighten your load.....

hikehunter
12-10-2012, 23:55
Remember the best plans can still go wrong. the longest hike I have done has been 18 days. I started a back account to do the AT thru hike in 2014. I deposit at least 20 dollars a week in it ... I think it may cost as much as $6K to do the 5.5 months on the trail. I plan to start the last week of Feb. and be done sometime in early Aug. I have hiked in all four seasons; mountain,swamp,forest,and desert. they all have their own differences. From what I have seen and herd you may see them all on the AT. Plan, Plan, and Plan.

MuddyWaters
12-11-2012, 19:36
Remember the best plans can still go wrong. the longest hike I have done has been 18 days. I started a back account to do the AT thru hike in 2014. I deposit at least 20 dollars a week in it ... I think it may cost as much as $6K to do the 5.5 months on the trail. I plan to start the last week of Feb. and be done sometime in early Aug. I have hiked in all four seasons; mountain,swamp,forest,and desert. they all have their own differences. From what I have seen and herd you may see them all on the AT. Plan, Plan, and Plan.

......And then throw the plan away.

The value in planning, is that you have thought about the contingencies.

The plan itself, isnt worth much because it will assuredly be constantly changing, as soon as the first couple of days.

IrishHiker
12-15-2012, 00:46
I have never heard anyone complain that their pack is too light.

ROFL, now that is golden right there.

IrishHiker
12-15-2012, 01:10
Lose some weight and get fit--GA is a bear and for keeping it light, losing some weight is the least expensive way to lighten your load.....

That might be one of the best pieces of advice any hiker can ever get.
It helps your knees, your ankles, your back, and even allows you a pound or two more in the pack.

And it helps your self-confidence as well.

Well put.

atmilkman
12-15-2012, 01:17
......And then throw the plan away.

The value in planning, is that you have thought about the contingencies.

The plan itself, isnt worth much because it will assuredly be constantly changing, as soon as the first couple of days.
The only plan I got is to first make it to Neels.

Camel2012
12-15-2012, 02:00
I really disagree with the comments about the cliques that form. Take into account, I'm just going off my own experiences, but overall, I found 99% of all the hikers i met to be really friendly and approachable(not sure that's a word).

It was super easy to make friends with everyone since you can talk about the trail creating instant rapport. I'm an introvert, and am very anti-social with little patience for stupidity, but had a great time with the other hikers, and made some good friends.

I'm not saying there aren't some rude, annoying, and obnoxious people out there,(the 2012 hikers got the privilege of meeting provisions!), but luckily it's super easy to hike past them, or let them hike past you.

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents, because i honestly found the trail community to be overall welcoming and friendly without all the nonsense you get in the "real world."