PDA

View Full Version : One Step Closer - Tent Purchased!

RedRunnerJumper
09-19-2012, 11:12
Purchased a tent yesterday and feel like this trip is just around the corner though I have way more to plan and purchase.
I purchased a Velocity 2 ( http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12077528 ) though I know its just under 4lbs, and most of you guys would turn your head due to the weight but was focusing on spending and the pros/cons. Yes I know over time a tent weighing less would be nice but this leaves me money I can spend elsewhere.
Since yesterday I can't wait to start the Thru-Hike. Next step is my backpack and sleeping bag. Waiting till some sales occur (beginning of Oct.).

Next week will go back to EMS and talk to an Employee who has thru-hiked and def. pick her brain and chat up a storm on gear and what not.

colorado_rob
09-19-2012, 11:23
That's a really nice looking tent, and I've had great luck with EMS products. 3#-6oz really aint that bad for that money. Enjoy!

HikerMom58
09-19-2012, 11:30
Good for you RedRunnerJumper... Remember what they all say on this site.... Hike your own Hike & that includes what you choose to carry on your back and what you put in that pack on ur back. It's great that you have a person u can talk 2 that you trust/like that has done the thru-hike already. :)

hikerboy57
09-19-2012, 11:41
you bought the wrong tent:confused:.
just kidding, ive great great success with ems products.

RED-DOG
09-19-2012, 11:45
Bro the most important thing about thru-Hiking is having lots of PATIENCE with your self and your gear whatever that may be, and another thing is you got to be comfortable with the weight you are carrying, Have lots of fun and a great hike. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 )

RedRunnerJumper
09-19-2012, 11:49
Thanks everyone! Yes, @Red-Dog, I am already comfortable so far. @HikerMomKD, I sure will hike my own hike!!
The employees at EMS were extremely helpful and made me feel comfortable talking to them. Seems like most on here whether they use or dont use EMS products talk highly of them.

hikerboy57
09-19-2012, 12:01
one bit of advice, buy your pack last so that you dont buy one smaller or larger than you'll need.most of the people at ems are pretty knowledgeable.

Aquonehostel
09-19-2012, 12:48
EMS have very good reviews! Good advice by hikerboy57; buy your pack last, if your pack is too large, you will find ways to fill it :-) Enjoy your hike...Wiggy 2010

swjohnsey
09-19-2012, 16:45
For about the same money you coulda got a BA Flycreek 1 off ebay, more than a pound lighter.

RedRunnerJumper
09-19-2012, 17:06
For about the same money you coulda got a BA Flycreek 1 off ebay, more than a pound lighter.

I know but didn't like the idea that two sides had to be staked down... oh well. everyone has their picks/purchases.

Slo-go'en
09-19-2012, 17:23
EMS have very good reviews! Good advice by hikerboy57; buy your pack last, if your pack is too large, you will find ways to fill it :-) Enjoy your hike...Wiggy 2010

Just don't buy your hiking pants there. The new belt buckle they now use on all thier pants doesn't stay clasped when you have a pack on! I had more trouble will my pants falling down around my knees due to the buckle popping open on my LT hike last month. You see, it operates by pushing on the front edge of it (which takes very little presure), instead of squeezing it from the sides like the old buckle used to work. The new buckle is the worst possible design anyone could come up with for hiking pants!

Oh and when you do buy pants, get them a little tight as you will shrink around the middle before too long..

Sorry for the drift...

RedRunnerJumper
09-19-2012, 18:34
Just don't buy your hiking pants there. The new belt buckle they now use on all thier pants doesn't stay clasped when you have a pack on! I had more trouble will my pants falling down around my knees due to the buckle popping open on my LT hike last month. You see, it operates by pushing on the front edge of it (which takes very little presure), instead of squeezing it from the sides like the old buckle used to work. The new buckle is the worst possible design anyone could come up with for hiking pants!

Oh and when you do buy pants, get them a little tight as you will shrink around the middle before too long..

Sorry for the drift...

Thank you for the little drift Slo-go'en, its information that actually will help me now. Any recommendations for where to look then?

hikerboy57
09-19-2012, 18:36
Thank you for the little drift Slo-go'en, its information that actually will help me now. Any recommendations for where to look then?

check out rei.bought some lightweight nylon cargo pants that also needed a better belt, bought a webbing belt there and swapped it out. the pants i bought were not convertibles, i dont like them, prefer i pr long pants 1 pr shorts

RED-DOG
09-19-2012, 18:37
Bro if you haven't already, when you buy the Sleeping Bag get one you can use the entire trip one for cold and warm weather, i used the Mountain Hardwear Lamina 35 in 96 and this year i was able to use it the whole trip that way you don't have to get two seperate bags.

Rocket Jones
09-19-2012, 18:52
Congrats on the tent! Now set it up in the backyard and sleep in it a couple of nights. Practice setting it up in the rain. Put some use on it before you hit the trail.

Beuhler
09-28-2012, 10:55
That looks like a great tent. I'm very interested in the Velocity 1 for my next trip (not a thru hike). I like the fact that it is freestanding and at 5'7" I should be alright with the dimensions. The V2 would be overkill for me. Good luck with your purchase.

Deb
09-28-2012, 18:39
That V1 is a sweet tent. 2 #, 6 oz. Nice. And on sale for $207.

Mountain Mike
09-28-2012, 19:43
Good luck. You have time to take advantage of sales to purchase the rest of your gear. EMS does have some great gear & sales. Years ago when I went to their ice climbing school all the instructors were envious of my EMS parka because it had a hood. They all had the prototype without one.