PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Rescued on Franconia Ridge (AT)

Tom Murphy
09-19-2012, 12:40
http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/bebf0311117c4e4e8c4f94a94d703c8b/NH--Rescued-Hiker

Posting this link as a reminder that above treeline hiking in New England in bad weather is a serious undertaking.

Tom Murphy
09-19-2012, 12:43
This account is more exciting.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Newsroom/News_2012/Q3/sr_Franconia_carryout_091912.html

hikerboy57
09-19-2012, 12:45
kudos to the rescuers.unbelievable job.

Driver8
09-19-2012, 13:15
Wow. I wouldn't want to go down Falling Waters in heavy rain. That would be crazy difficult. The winds here in the flatlands were gusting to 40 mph last night - I can only imagine what they were on Franconia Ridge. That presented the rescuers with a Hobson's choice - down Falling Waters, or persist on Franconia Ridge to the easier Liberty Spring descent. Good that they all made it down ok and saved this guy.

I wonder when he sustained the injury - was the weather already bad? If so, why on earth was he up there? Maybe he thought he could make it to the hut, but if he knowingly put himself up on the ridge when that storm was coming in, he might be a candidate for the "pay for your rescue" rules.

Driver8
09-19-2012, 13:24
Oops, I just saw 1:30 pm was when he fell. The reports from the Mt. Washington station were of light rain and southeasterly winds sustained at 51 with gusts to 61 at 12:50 pm, rain at 1:47 with southeasterlies sustained at 48 with gusts to 64. http://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KMWN.html Not the time to traverse Franconia Ridge, even if the winds might've been a bit lighter there than at Washington's summit. Foolishness.

hikerboy57
09-19-2012, 13:29
Oops, I just saw 1:30 pm was when he fell. The reports from the Mt. Washington station were of light rain and southeasterly winds sustained at 51 with gusts to 61 at 12:50 pm, rain at 1:47 with southeasterlies sustained at 48 with gusts to 64. http://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KMWN.html Not the time to traverse Franconia Ridge, even if the winds might've been a bit lighter there than at Washington's summit. Foolishness.not necessarily. he was on his 3rd day out, may have been unaware of the forecast.and once you're committed on that ridge, theres nowhere to hide.

hikerboy57
09-19-2012, 13:34
im usually one of the first to be critical for an unnecessary rescue, but until the facts are in, ill reserve judgement. its a tricky time of year.

tdoczi
09-19-2012, 13:35
dispatch should have told him to get his tent out and pitched and theyd be there as soon as the weather was cleared. just imagine if one of them had died over this.

hikerboy57
09-19-2012, 13:37
dispatch should have told him to get his tent out and pitched and theyd be there as soon as the weather was cleared. just imagine if one of them had died over this.apparently he lost his tent in the wind.

tdoczi
09-19-2012, 13:38
apparently he lost his tent in the wind.

where does it say that?

hikerboy57
maybe the amc isnt all bad.

Slo-go'en
I wonder when he sustained the injury - was the weather already bad? If so, why on earth was he up there? Maybe he thought he could make it to the hut, but if he knowingly put himself up on the ridge when that storm was coming in, he might be a candidate for the "pay for your rescue" rules.

We'll likely never know. Maybe he didn't have a recent weather forcast, but even a few days ago they were warning of a pretty good storm coming this way. Although the day started off looking nice, it deterated quickly and by noon it was obvious being on an exposed ridge line was not going to be a good place to be. People tend to disregard the warning signs near tree line which tell you to turn back if the weather isn't good. They think "How bad can it get?" Pretty friggen bad. Tourist hikers "from away" with no experiance here just don't understand how bad it get and how quickly that can happen. This guy is lucky to be alive and it's amazing more don't die around here.

Driver8
Following that weather link, HB, shows that conditions were bad all morning, deteriorating as the day progressed. I'd bet he camped at Liberty Spring and thought he'd tough it through. Should have turned around once he got up on the FRT and, inevitably, saw that the weather was dangerous. Certainly by the time he got to Haystack's summit, he'd have seen how godawful the winds must've been. By then he'd've had no good choices, but I'm confident that somewhere in the stretch between Liberty and Haystack he should have known to turn back to safety. Failure of preparedness or, more likely, of judgment.

hikerboy57
09-19-2012, 13:39
where does it say that?
the 2nd link, the story is a bit more complete

Driver8
09-19-2012, 13:40
where does it say that?

Says so in the longer of the two articles, the one linked in the second post. Notes that he was hypothermic once rescue arrived, even though he had sleeping bag and was in it, and tent blew away in the winds.

jakedatc
09-19-2012, 13:41
Yep, good job to the guys getting him out in ****ty weather.

i agree. 3rd day out it could have been sunny and amazing like Sunday and monday or total crap like tuesday. saying he shouldn't be out there is monday morning QB by a noobie day hiker. and unfair with the information out. Not everyone carries a weather station with them. Sounds like the guy did the best he could to get to a spot to call for help and it saved his ass.

hikerboy57
09-19-2012, 13:41
Following that weather link, HB, shows that conditions were bad all morning, deteriorating as the day progressed. I'd bet he camped at Liberty Spring and thought he'd tough it through. Should have turned around once he got up on the FRT and, inevitably, saw that the weather was dangerous. Certainly by the time he got to Haystack's summit, he'd have seen how godawful the winds must've been. By then he'd've had no good choices, but I'm confident that somewhere in the stretch between Liberty and Haystack he should have known to turn back to safety. Failure of preparedness or, more likely, of judgment.
turn back to where?
it doesnt say which direction he was headed, and his injury may have prevented him from doing so.

tdoczi
09-19-2012, 13:42
well in that case i have to wonder why not just bring him to greenleaf for the night? maybe his location on the ridge wasnt conducive to that? it doesnt really say where he was.

Slo-go'en
im usually one of the first to be critical for an unnecessary rescue, but until the facts are in, ill reserve judgement. its a tricky time of year.

Since he broke his hip, I guess he wasn't going to be able to walk out...

The second report from NH Fish and Game Tom posted says his tent blew away. Good thing he didn't have a down bag in that rain and no shelter!

Driver8
We'll likely never know. Maybe he didn't have a recent weather forcast, but even a few days ago they were warning of a pretty good storm coming this way. Although the day started off looking nice, it deterated quickly and by noon it was obvious being on an exposed ridge line was not going to be a good place to be. People tend to disregard the warning signs near tree line which tell you to turn back if the weather isn't good. They think "How bad can it get?" Pretty friggen bad.

I learned that quickly on my May 12 attempt of Monroe/Washington when I was buffeted by the winds near the Lakes hut. Gets your attention fast, and like everyone else ahead of me, I turned around and descended from the ridge top asap.

hikerboy57
09-19-2012, 13:44
oh and driver,
im glad he had his phone.:)

Driver8
09-19-2012, 13:44
well in that case i have to wonder why not just bring him to greenleaf for the night? maybe his location on the ridge wasnt conducive to that? it doesnt really say where he was.

Second, longer article says he was between Little Haystack and Lincoln. I'd bet he slipped and fell in the scrambly section known as the Gargoyles. That area would shield against the usual westerlies, by the way, but yesterday the winds were out of the southeast. Bye, bye tent!

Driver8
09-19-2012, 13:45
oh and driver,

:rolleyes: Good one. ...

tdoczi
09-19-2012, 13:45
We'll likely never know. Maybe he didn't have a recent weather forcast, but even a few days ago they were warning of a pretty good storm coming this way. Although the day started off looking nice, it deterated quickly and by noon it was obvious being on an exposed ridge line was not going to be a good place to be. People tend to disregard the warning signs near tree line which tell you to turn back if the weather isn't good. They think "How bad can it get?" Pretty friggen bad. Tourist hikers "from away" with no experiance here just don't understand how bad it get and how quickly that can happen. This guy is lucky to be alive and it's amazing more don't die around here.

having twice been dumb enough to go above treeline on days that really werent bad at all (moderate to heavy rain, slightly above average wind) i can atest to how insanely stupid youd have to be to go up during an actual storm. i seriously hope after the second time i know not to even bother trying it in a light drizzle ever again.

hikerboy57
09-19-2012, 13:46
the amc guys most likely came from greenleaf, assessed the danger of transporting him back along the ridge and decided down was better.

hikerboy57
09-19-2012, 13:49
having twice been dumb enough to go above treeline on days that really werent bad at all (moderate to heavy rain, slightly above average wind) i can atest to how insanely stupid youd have to be to go up during an actual storm. i seriously hope after the second time i know not to even bother trying it in a light drizzle ever again.

ive been up there with some pretty strong winds, both franconia ridge and the presis, and i think my attitude is fairly normal for an experienced hiker.Unless I know theyre predicting thunderstorms or snow, ill start out anyway and "see how far i can get"playing it by ear the whole way. if it gets bad, you turn back, if it doesnt you keep going. I know that this is probably not the best advice, but i do understand human nature

Driver8
09-19-2012, 13:50
the amc guys most likely came from greenleaf, assessed the danger of transporting him back along the ridge and decided down was better.

No way would I ever want to rescue someone over Lincoln and across to Lafayette in those conditions. Had he fallen in between those two peaks, the hut would be the natural choice. But down Falling Waters, godawful as that must have been, seems to me to have been the best of bad options. Gets you shielded from the worst of the southeasterly winds, on the west side of the ridge, asap. And clearly, equipped with plenty of rope to assist with fords, they were as well prepared as possible for the trek down the FWT.

tdoczi
09-19-2012, 13:56
ive been up there with some pretty strong winds, both franconia ridge and the presis, and i think my attitude is fairly normal for an experienced hiker.Unless I know theyre predicting thunderstorms or snow, ill start out anyway and "see how far i can get"playing it by ear the whole way. if it gets bad, you turn back, if it doesnt you keep going. I know that this is probably not the best advice, but i do understand human nature

really my conclusion isnt even about safety, i dont think i was anywhere near doing anything dangerous either time ive been up there in bad weather... it just sucked. very badly. lol

Slo-go'en
09-19-2012, 14:01
"AMC initially sent out a rescuer from the Greenleaf Hut to try to find Bacon, but high winds forced that individual to turn back. A second team of two AMC staffers set out and were able to navigate the ridge to Bacon's location (between Lincoln and Haystack), reaching him about 6:20 p.m. Shortly thereafter, New Hampshire Fish and Game Department Conservation Officers and Pemigewasset Valley Search and Rescue Team volunteers reached the injured man."

That explains why they didn't try to get him to Greenleaf, they would have had to carry him over Lafayette at the highth of the storm. I wonder why they didn't take him down the Liberty springs trail instead. You'd think they could have gotten him to the tent sites and stabilized him there while waiting for the storm to abate. Sure is a nice day out there today.

Too bad we don't know which way he was going. If he was already up there and heading out towards the Liberty Springs tent site, that would be one thing, but if he was comming up from the Notch, that would be quite another. In the first case he would have been trying to get out of the storm, in the other he'd have been going into it.

tdoczi
09-19-2012, 14:04
oh and driver,

i probably shouldnt ask this hypothetical question but i apparently cant resist....

if he didnt have a phone he thought he could call for help on, might that have prevented him from trying to hike the ridgeline in a storm?

hikerboy57
09-19-2012, 14:08
cell service is completely unreliable in the whites, i dont think he would have been depending on it, but it is a valid point.i think it more likely he didnt know how sever the storm would be, injured himself before he could get back safely.
Hopefully well learn the rest of the story so we can either belittle or praise him for his decisions.

Slo-go'en
09-19-2012, 14:08
i probably shouldnt ask this hypothetical question but i apparently cant resist....

if he didnt have a phone he thought he could call for help on, might that have prevented him from trying to hike the ridgeline in a storm?

Probably not (prevented him). If he hadn't had a phone or wasn't able to get a signal (which can be sketchy through there) he would have simply died.

jakedatc
09-19-2012, 14:18
"AMC initially sent out a rescuer from the Greenleaf Hut to try to find Bacon, but high winds forced that individual to turn back. A second team of two AMC staffers set out and were able to navigate the ridge to Bacon's location (between Lincoln and Haystack), reaching him about 6:20 p.m. Shortly thereafter, New Hampshire Fish and Game Department Conservation Officers and Pemigewasset Valley Search and Rescue Team volunteers reached the injured man."

That explains why they didn't try to get him to Greenleaf, they would have had to carry him over Lafayette at the highth of the storm. I wonder why they didn't take him down the Liberty springs trail instead. You'd think they could have gotten him to the tent sites and stabilized him there while waiting for the storm to abate. Sure is a nice day out there today.

Too bad we don't know which way he was going. If he was already up there and heading out towards the Liberty Springs tent site, that would be one thing, but if he was comming up from the Notch, that would be quite another. In the first case he would have been trying to get out of the storm, in the other he'd have been going into it.

liberty springs is 2 extra miles from Falling waters. then another 2.9mi to the road... that is a lot of extra time. Depending on who was responding and what they had for meds etc staying longer might not have been an option.

tdoczi
09-19-2012, 14:24
cell service is completely unreliable in the whites, i dont think he would have been depending on it, but it is a valid point.i think it more likely he didnt know how sever the storm would be, injured himself before he could get back safely.
Hopefully well learn the rest of the story so we can either belittle or praise him for his decisions.

he certainly shouldnt have been depending on it, whether or not he was, if even subconsciously, is anyone's guess.

i just think if we all hiked with a deeply engrained mentality that no one is going to come rescue us wed make a lot fewer questionable decisions.

hikerboy57
09-19-2012, 14:30
he certainly shouldnt have been depending on it, whether or not he was, if even subconsciously, is anyone's guess.

i just think if we all hiked with a deeply engrained mentality that no one is going to come rescue us wed make a lot fewer questionable decisions.

i agree. id just like to get all the facts first before we start passing judgement.
and even then,s*** happens.

tdoczi
09-19-2012, 14:32
i agree. id just like to get all the facts first before we start passing judgement.
and even then,s*** happens.

no judgement passed, well, except on cell phones perhaps : )

hikerboy57
09-19-2012, 14:37
no judgement passed, well, except on cell phones perhaps : )

I'm right there with you on that 1.

Driver8
09-19-2012, 14:38
liberty springs is 2 extra miles from Falling waters. then another 2.9mi to the road... that is a lot of extra time. Depending on who was responding and what they had for meds etc staying longer might not have been an option.

As outlined above, continuing on the AT routing south of Haystack would have involved continued exposure for all involved to the worst of the storm's fury, with winds whipping out of the southeast in the 50-60 mph range and, therefore, worse buffeting by the wind-driven rains. Going down Falling Waters got them a good measure of protection from the worst of the elements, at a price of what doubtless was a slow, slippery, treacherous descent of that trail in awful conditions.

With due respect, not everyone is so focused on cell phones as are you. Cell phone or not, if I think I'm venturing a substantial risk of a significant injury, I'm turning for safety asap. I don't want perfect cell phone coverage for the call asking for rescue because I broke something. I think most people think that way. This fellow may have thought he could tough it out. As some have suggested, he might have been coming from the north, in which case I'd say he was especially foolhardy, sorry to say, b/c he knowingly traversed Lafayette and Lincoln in the conditions noted by the Mt. Washington station yesterday morning and early afternoon - for that reason, I doubt he came from the north but rather came from the south, where the winds would not have been quite as high b/c of lower elevation. High enough, doubtless, to warn him it was time to turn back, though.

Again, a candidate for the "Pay-for-Your-Own-Rescue Club" from what I can see. Not ready to vote him in for sure, but a candidate, yeah, I think so.

hikerboy57
09-19-2012, 14:41
whatever........

tdoczi
09-19-2012, 14:48
With due respect, not everyone is so focused on cell phones as are you.

well, i'm certainly not campaigning to improve the cell service at pinkham notch so i can more easily make dinner plans.

Tom Murphy
09-19-2012, 15:10
well, i'm certainly not campaigning to improve the cell service at pinkham notch so i can more easily make dinner plans.

hahaha, sadly i remember that thread better than whatever hikes I took around the same time

Driver8
09-19-2012, 15:13

If you feel you're accomplishing something with such snark, you're sadly mistaken. If you need it for your own sake, I pity you.

tdoczi
09-19-2012, 15:22
If you feel you're accomplishing something with such snark, you're sadly mistaken. If you need it for your own sake, I pity you.

i apparently amused tom murphy, that was accomplishment enough for me : )

kayak karl
09-19-2012, 16:27
what if it happened in this order. 1:30 fell broke hip, crawled and called 911, went to setup tent and lost it (wouldn't be hard, not like he could jump up and chase it), crawled in bag and waited.
IF he did not break hip would of he been able to make it out or was he doomed to be rescued anyway?

peakbagger
09-19-2012, 16:29
Hmm, please note that date on my orignal post http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?88056-An-illustration-of-a-late-summer-forecast-for-Mt-Washington.

In the morning in Gorham (about 30 miles NE) the sun was shining, there was a light breeze and there were only high clouds coming in from the west. It wasnt until late morning when the winds picked up and the summits started clouding in. THe articels dont say whihc way he was goin but I expect eh was doign a Pemi Loop Counter clockwise. My guess is he planned on staying at Liberty Springs that night and then out via Osseo the next day but he also could be heading to Liberty for the evening and then down tthe AT to I93. If he was walking CCW, he probably started at Garfield and was in good weather until he dropped into the woods. Heading up the ridge trail from Garfield he would have been sheltered from the strong SW winds by Lafayette. Once on Lafayette he would have been staring into the wind and would have been raining. Its real easy to not think clearly in those conditions. His choice would be head directly into the wind down Lafayette via Old Bridal Path to Greenleaf hut or keep heading down the ridge to Liberty. Since his plan might have been Liberty Springs, he may have elected to hike the ridge as once he was at Haystack he was in the woods.

Slo-go'en
09-19-2012, 17:38
what if it happened in this order. 1:30 fell broke hip, crawled and called 911, went to setup tent and lost it (wouldn't be hard, not like he could jump up and chase it), crawled in bag and waited.
IF he did not break hip would of he been able to make it out or was he doomed to be rescued anyway?

It all depends on which way he was going at the time. If he was headed towards Liberty Springs, had he made it it would have been a rough night, but he would have gotten through it. If he was headed towards Lafayette, he would have been in trouble as it would have been a long way to go in the thick of the storm to get to anywhere with shelter. When the wind starts to blow you around and the rocks are slick with rain, it's real easy to get hurt up there.

As usual, these stories never give enough detail to know the how and why.

Migrating Bird
09-19-2012, 18:16
If anyone is interested, here is a link to the first part of my daughter's thru hike in '09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVDEy2GWfqg At the 7 min mark there is a video of Franconia Ridge weather which was pretty tough, it was taken on July 4th!

johnnybgood
09-19-2012, 18:26
The articles don't exactly say Sobo or Nobo, but this lends itself to a very serious question :
If he passed up an opportunity to seek refuge at Greenleaf hut wouldn't that suffice to say be considered reckless endangerment ?

I hope not but just saying...

hikerboy57
09-19-2012, 18:34
The articles don't exactly say Sobo or Nobo, but this lends itself to a very serious question :
If he passed up an opportunity to seek refuge at Greenleaf hut wouldn't that suffice to say be considered reckless endangerment ?

I hope not but just saying...
for the same reasons the rescuers didnt bring him back therehe was probably too far along to turn back safely, and we dont know exactly where and when he got hurt in relation to the rescue.greenleaf isnt on the trail itself, so if he didnt stop there beefore, would have had little knowledge of the weather approaching.

jakedatc
09-19-2012, 18:37
Speculation is a bit ridiculous without necessary information. This happens with climbing accidents all the time and the reporting is even worse. You can't accuse the guy of being reckless, naive, clueless etc without knowing the details of how things went. All we know is that he was hiking, got hurt, got stuck in bad weather and needed a rescue. Wish the guy good luck on his extensive recovery and hope you never end up in the same situation.

HikerMom58
09-19-2012, 19:05
Speculation is a bit ridiculous without necessary information. This happens with climbing accidents all the time and the reporting is even worse. You can't accuse the guy of being reckless, naive, clueless etc without knowing the details of how things went. All we know is that he was hiking, got hurt, got stuck in bad weather and needed a rescue. Wish the guy good luck on his extensive recovery and hope you never end up in the same situation.

Haha!! jakedatc... how could u read my mind? You just wrote exactly what I was thinking, as I kept reading this thread. I couldn't bring myself to disrupt all their speculation comments.... LOL!! They seemed to be enjoying it so much!! ;) Too funny!! I'm glad the guy was rescued...

jakedatc
09-19-2012, 19:23
Trust me.. having read dozens of climbing accident reports the last 12 years i've been climbing, unless someone involved steps up with info there is not much you can do to figure out what went on. since this guy was alone it makes it even less likely info will come out unless it's published in ANAM

Del Q
09-19-2012, 21:39
WOW!

What a rescue, Kudo's to all that helped out.

I used to serve on a SAR team, this would have been a tough one. New Hampshire, 80 MPH, heavy rain.............not sure what the guy weighed but this was a GREAT WIN!

rickb
09-19-2012, 21:51
Trust me.. having read dozens of climbing accident reports the last 12 years i've been climbing, unless someone involved steps up with info there is not much you can do to figure out what went on. since this guy was alone it makes it even less likely info will come out unless it's published in ANAM

FWIW, In the Whites the definitive accident/incident reviews were always here: http://www.outdoors.org/publications/appalachia/

jakedatc
09-19-2012, 22:05
Cool, well maybe we'll hear more about this one eventually then.

jakedatc
10-05-2012, 14:58
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120930/NEWS07/709309862/0/NEWS0606

More Details.. not really in favor of him really.

hikerboy57
10-05-2012, 15:13
alright the jurys back in, grab some popcorn!

unbeleivable job by the rescuers. thanks jake for posting the story.

Feral Bill
10-05-2012, 15:38
This is a good warning not just about mountain weather, but about the powerful impulse to keep pressing on. That little voice in your head saying "this is a bad idea" needs to be listened to, sometimes.

hikerboy57
10-05-2012, 15:42
Youre right bill but you need to listen to that voice all the time.your instinct to survive is uncannily right.

jakedatc
10-05-2012, 15:44
like when you eat **** and some how "lose" your tent? when the weather report for one of the worst places to be in weather looks like crap? <4mi in a whole day.. in good weather and no mountains then thinks he's going to get up, across and down 3 4k's in bad weather? AND he had done the loop before.. so he knew what was involved.

hikerboy57
10-05-2012, 15:48
like when you eat **** and some how "lose" your tent? when the weather report for one of the worst places to be in weather looks like crap? <4mi in a whole day.. in good weather and no mountains then thinks he's going to get up, across and down 3 4k's in bad weather? AND he had done the loop before.. so he knew what was involved.

if it wasnt for the hip replacement?:)
yes it would seem he exercised extremely poor judgement, surprising for his experience.

tdoczi
10-05-2012, 16:11
"When he came to a waist-high ledge, he couldn’t step up, so he jumped up on it backwards."

if i'm imaging this maneuver correctly i'd break my hip trying that too.

jakedatc
10-05-2012, 16:27
That I don't see a problem with.. i picture it more like hopping up on a table/counter or something butt first.. problem is apparently with hip replacements you aren't supposed to put your knee above your hip due to the mechanics of the new ball/socket joint.

tdoczi
10-05-2012, 17:45
That I don't see a problem with.. i picture it more like hopping up on a table/counter or something butt first.. problem is apparently with hip replacements you aren't supposed to put your knee above your hip due to the mechanics of the new ball/socket joint.

stated another way, this essentially would mean those with hip replacements need to stay out of the whites

Pedaling Fool
10-05-2012, 22:14
stated another way, this essentially would mean those with hip replacements need to stay out of the whitesWrong answer. People with hip replacements need to work it!

Sarcasm the elf
10-05-2012, 23:07
stated another way, this essentially would mean those with hip replacements need to stay out of the whites

Perhaps that can be reduced down to "Don't go hike solo if you have a medical condition," or simply "know your limits"...

Either way, everyone screws up and does dumb stuff, it's largely just luck of the draw as to when and how serious your dumb moments are. Sounds like he made some boneheaded choices, but if he had one less misstep we would have never heard about him. Glad to hear everyones's okay.

HikerMom58
10-05-2012, 23:18
We should add his story to the, "have you ever done anything stupid that almost killed you thread"..... so glad he's OK. :)

tdoczi
10-06-2012, 00:19
Perhaps that can be reduced down to "Don't go hike solo if you have a medical condition," or simply "know your limits"...

Either way, everyone screws up and does dumb stuff, it's largely just luck of the draw as to when and how serious your dumb moments are. Sounds like he made some boneheaded choices, but if he had one less misstep we would have never heard about him. Glad to hear everyones's okay.

if it really is universally true that people with hip replacements cant lift their knee above their hip without it popping out then they need to stick to flat terrain, not hopping up giant rock slabs. i see no reason why such a person couldnt hike in maryland solo. on the other hand, if this guy had one partner with him and they decided to be iditos that day togetehr i dont see how the end result would have been better, but may have been worse.

Sarcasm the elf
10-06-2012, 00:26
if it really is universally true that people with hip replacements cant lift their knee above their hip without it popping out then they need to stick to flat terrain, not hopping up giant rock slabs. i see no reason why such a person couldnt hike in maryland solo. on the other hand, if this guy had one partner with him and they decided to be iditos that day togetehr i dont see how the end result would have been better, but may have been worse.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” :D

jakedatc
10-06-2012, 00:33
http://www.livestrong.com/article/374944-stretching-contraindications-for-hip-replacement/

seems the timeline for those limitations isn't forever, though i'm sure it is still the weak point of the joint. also says to limit jarring forces.. so between the wipe out and hopping up on the rock he was not having a good day.