PDA

View Full Version : Single Bag for Warm Sleeper

nickamante
09-19-2012, 17:22
I'm looking to pick up a new sleeping bag for a Early/Mid March Thru-Hike. My biggest concern is that I'm a very warm sleeper, so I'm trying to find a bag that will last me the whole trip yet won't be overkill in the summer months. Normally in winter I don't sleep with anything more than a thin comforter and in summer I have trouble sleeping if I can't at least keep my feet outside the covers. It seems like it's pretty un-common to be able to un-zip the foot end of most bags while keeping the rest closed, which would be ideal.

So far I've been thinking of starting off with a ~20-32* bag with a silk liner (mainly to keep the bag clean) and picking up an insulating liner at Mountain Crossing if my first few days are miserable. I'm leaning towards a WM bag (UltraLite (20*) / SummerLite (32*)) or maybe a Marmot Helium (15*). Price is flexible so long as it's a good value for the money.

Thoughts?

Rasty
09-19-2012, 17:26
Maybe look at an Enlightened Equipment Down quilt. You can stick you feet outside when its warmer. I sleep the same way. The Revelation X is popular. Around $200 to $240 depending on temp rating.

nickamante
09-19-2012, 17:39
I've never used a quilt before, but from photos they all look like they have sealed ends as well, unless I'm mistaken. I toss and turn... how easy is it to throw them off?

johnnybgood
09-19-2012, 17:42
I too was thinking of the Summerlite with a insulating liner when I saw the thread. As far as value goes WM are tough to beat. I'd use just the liner in really warm weather and bounce the bag up the trail where you'll need it in the Whites.

Rasty
09-19-2012, 17:50
I've never used a quilt before, but from photos they all look like they have sealed ends as well, unless I'm mistaken. I toss and turn... how easy is it to throw them off?

It has a zipper and draw cord that can be undone to open it. As easy to throw off as a blanket at home.

nickamante
09-19-2012, 17:52
How warm would the liner have to be? I know silk only adds about 5*...I think Sea To Summit makes some 15/20 degree liners which would give me a pretty good range for about 9oz extra.

Slo-go'en
09-19-2012, 18:06
Sleeping warm at home and sleeping warm on the trail are two very different things. At home in your apartment in NYC your dry, well feed and on a comfy bed.

On the trail during March and April you will be tired and often wet and hungry. It takes a lot more to stay warm under those conditions, so don't cut your comfort margin too close.

nickamante
09-20-2012, 11:49
Would 20* be a pretty safe bet? After looking a bit closer at them, the Enlightened Equipment 20* down quilt seems like it might be a good choice.

jeffmeh
09-20-2012, 12:32
A 20 deg down quilt is a great choice. Allows for more ventilation if you are warm, and also allows you to wear all of your clothing (without compressing any of the insulation) if cold. Lighter weight than a comparable bag. Also, don't skimp on the R-value of your sleeping pad. My son took a Warbonnet Mamba 20deg quilt, Exped Synmat UL7 pad, and a thin Gossamer Gear pad, and it worked well for him with a late Feb start.

Rasty
09-20-2012, 12:44
You can almost buy two quilts for the price of a zero degree Western Mountaineering bag. A zero and a twenty is my next splurge.

nickamante
09-24-2012, 16:49
Well, it wasn't on my list, but I managed to snag a new Marmot Plasma 30 for $230 at REI's Garage Sale this weekend. I also grabbed a Sea to Summit Reactor Plus Thermolite (+20*) liner for $30 bringing the set to $260 / 31.24oz. I think that should give me a lot of flexibility in temperature at a reasonable price... the only down-side is the bag was labeled as Regular but it's actually Long, so I have a somewhat ridiculous amount of extra foot space (I'm 5'9"). I don't imagine extra foot space should cause any issues with heat retention?

Moose2001
09-24-2012, 17:05
[/FONT]

Not so much of a problem for heat retention but rather heating it up in the first place. Think of it as is you have a small furnace in your house (your body heat), which would you rather heat, a small room or a large room? The bag can still work. I would suggest just folding over the excess at the bottom to cut down on how much extra space you have.

nickamante
09-24-2012, 17:18
I would suggest just folding over the excess at the bottom to cut down on how much extra space you have.

Good point :-) I'll bring it on a trial run in December and try folding the bag just to make sure, but since my feet are usually excessively hot I think I'll be ok.

fredmugs
09-27-2012, 08:00
http://www.seatosummit.com/sleepingbags/micro.php

I have a Sea to Summit MC II and I just used it on the JMT. Very lightweight, very packable, and it opens completely to use as a quilt or, in mummy mode, it has a draw string at the footbox. Not sure you can beat it for weight, packability, and multi-function use.

skinewmexico
09-27-2012, 16:59
Just stick a jacket in the foot of your bag, you'll be fine. And your pad is as important as your bag when it's cold.

nickamante
09-27-2012, 17:19
And your pad is as important as your bag when it's cold.

haha, I'm prepared there... I picked up pretty much every pad at the REI Garage sale (XLite, BA Insulated Air Core, Exped Synmat, Z-Lite Sol). Prices were just too good; I figure I'll try em all at home and see what works for me, then un-load the others on friends.

Donde
09-27-2012, 17:53
I did a Mar1 start and did the whole trail on a 20* Bag. Just as long as you can unzip from the bottom when you want feet out, unzip all the way and use as a quilt when it really warms up.

nickamante
09-27-2012, 18:27
Just as long as you can unzip from the bottom when you want feet out

It seems hard to find a bag that allows feet out. I saw that the WM Sycamore has an awesome footbox zipper which I'd love, but I like the style of the Alpenlite better. I've been wondering how hard it would be to have a zipper added to the footbox of my Plasma; it seems that since it'a a Long i've got material to work with, but I wouldn't trust myself to do the sewing.

Donde
09-27-2012, 19:03
I can't speak for everything on the market but I own a North Face Cat's Meow and an REI Sub-Kilo, and they both allow me to unzip from the bottom.