PDA

View Full Version : Hiking for single mothers with dependent children

appalachianboy
09-20-2012, 08:35
Hello all at Whiteblaze, I have been a member here for a while but I have never posted or had anything to share until now. I am currently waiting for approval of our 1023 for the nonprofit organization that I have started called Mountain Care Fellowship Foundation Inc. this organization will benefit single mothers with dependent children obtain temporary living quarters that they may purchase after a 10 month program in which they will attend a variety of life improvement classes such as GED completion, computer classes, cooking, canning, self improvement, how to handle job interviews, resume building, along with many other classes to make them more self sufficient. We will also try to link them to employers in their areas to get them some OJT with the possibilty of gaining full time employment after the program is complete. We will offer the children after school tutoring to help them in any classes that they may be having problems with. We will also offer overnight hiking trips for the kids to use as motivational and confidence building blocks, that allow them to enjoy the outdoors and beauty that has been provided to all of us but not readily available to them. We will have faith building classes along with Bible studies, that include the keys to this life, we will also have mentoring classes, and time for the children just to be kids while offering them a safe haven from issues that we hope to help them leave behind. I will begin a north bound thru hike on Feb. 20th 2013 to benefit this organization and will be sending video feeds from the trail to our website, twitter, facebook, and youtube, that will cover life from the A.T. and the different things that are encountered by doing a thru hike. I look forward to Feb. and getting started on this most worthwhile adventure. If you can help we thank you in advance, if you pray please throw one out there for us, if you see me on the A.T. please take time to talk. I will need all the prayers and support I can get on this thru hike knowing that I will be away from my own family for 6 months, I truly believe what the Bible says in Galatians 6:2 "Bear ye each others burdens and so fulfill the laws of Christ" I hike under the name Jobe and I look forward to seeing all of you out on the trail in 2013.

God bless

HikerMom58
09-20-2012, 09:23
You got my support- Jobe. I hope the weather will be on your side for ur Feb. 20th start date. They are calling for a bad winter this year. They can somehow back up the prediction with the amount of acorns on the ground this year... it's a bumper crop this fall. :eek:

Please contact me or I will give you a holler when you get close to Central VA. I would love to meet you....
I pray so I will remember you and your family in my prayers.

God bless

Aquonehostel
09-20-2012, 10:52
Jobe, A wonderful charity and a great cause, please allow us to give you a free nights stay and at least two good meals to assist you with your blessed quest. Steve & Maggie Aquone Hostel, 828 321 2340. I'm sure other hostels reading this will donate too, God Bless

Mountain Care Fellowship Contact InformationMountain Care Fellowship Foundation Inc.
23 Cain Bridge Lane
Dahlonega, GA 30533

appalachianboy
09-21-2012, 08:08
Thank you HikerMomKD, I have heard from several sources that the weather might be bad this year, and I think I saw a brown wooly bear (worm) the other day crossing the highway. LOL that is what my grandmother used to base her bad winter predictions on. I always loved when she would say that "I saw a wooly bear the other day and rascal was solid brown that means its going to be a bad winter"
Anyway HM I look forward to meeting you also and I appreciate the prayers and thoughts. Please stay in touch.

Have a blessed day

appalachianboy
09-21-2012, 08:14
My goodness, I haven't passed the first blaze yet and already trail magic, I am truly a blessed man. Thank you Steve and Maggie so much for your kindness, I really look forward to getting back in the Nantahala area I love the Smokies my favorite place, my wife is part Cherokee and I have several close friends on the reservation. I can't wait to meet you all and stay at your hostel, again thank you so much for your kindness.

Have a blessed day.

chief
09-21-2012, 14:11
You're starting a non-profit to do all those good things. Very commendable! Yet it looks like the first thing you intend to do is take off on a 6 month hike. Makes me wonder if the non-profit is intended to benefit your hike instead of the other way around. Before I get all warm and fuzzy over your intentions, could you explain.

appalachianboy
09-21-2012, 15:29
Absolutely Chief, I wish I had the resources to purchase the temporary housing that we will provide to the single mothers and their children, but I don't. This hike is to raise funds to accomplish the start of MCFFI. In all honesty I couldn't really think of a better way for people to get involved and see my sincerity in trying to help these single moms and kids, than by hiking 2000+ miles and sending videos from the trail to our website tracking my progress while raising funds to get us started. I do love hiking, I am not very good at it yet, I really don't desire being away from my own family for 6 months, but if MCFFI is to be successful and help the mom's and children that I think we can I will spend 6 months away from the people that I love so that I can do what I believe is what we are all supposed to do, help each other. Chief I hope you will take the time to track the hike and if you have a few minutes talk to me, I look forward to talking to you in the future.

Have a blessed day Chief.

T-Rx
09-21-2012, 15:56
Jobe,
sounds like a great cause and you are to be commended for your efforts. I wish you success in your hike and in your end goal. May God bless you.

appalachianboy
09-21-2012, 16:04
Thank you very much T-Rx I really appreciate the well wishes. We are all excited at MCFFI and look forward to the organization growing in the future.

Have a very blessed day

Jobe

Feral Bill
09-21-2012, 16:46
So how are you paying for your hike expenses?

Aquonehostel
09-21-2012, 17:47
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=392776

Title: Hiking for the Mothers with dependent children
Name: Jobe 9/15/12It has been a while since I have logged anything, I haven't had a whole lot to share until now. I spent the last 6 months starting a 501C3 non-profit organization called Mountain Care Fellowship Foundation Inc. that will help single mothers with dependent children, get situated in life, we will help them in a variety of life skills classes and also give them temporary living arrangements until they can get on their feet and get established in their respective communities. We will also have weekend hiking classes for the children to introduce them to the true blessings the outdoors have to offer and tutoring for school studies that the children are struggling with. So after a couple of years I now find myself with another chance to do the A.T. with something more than just finishing a hike as the goal. I know from my hike in 2010 going to the North Carolina line and having to leave trail due to family issues it was one of the toughest decisions I have ever had to make. But I know after the Lord the famiy has to be next so I don't regret coming home for family. Now I will be hiking for alot of families that we will attempt to help upon my return from the thru hike. You can follow the progress of my hike through the webpage for MCFFI. once we have it up and running. So if you pray, throw one out there for the organization and me as I embark on this journey to help these moms and children. If you see me please take a minute to talk, and if you are able please help us to help these families who are in need. I look forward to the upcoming challenges and talking to and meeting everyone that I will encounter on the websites and the trail. The start date for this thru hike will be Feb. 20th, anyone who has any connections to sponsors for trail food, gear, or any help that we can receive, once the 501c3 is approved by the IRS it will be tax deductible, keep us in mind.

Jobe 2013

kayak karl
09-21-2012, 17:57
So how are you paying for your hike expenses?
what bill said
?

chief
09-21-2012, 18:07
I've heard an AT thru-hike called many things. "a new beginning", "a spiritual journey", "just walking", etc. However I've never before heard it called a SACRIFICE. Are you kidding me?

Anyway, hope you raise lots of money and spend it entirely on the stated cause, not your trail food and gear.

Lone Wolf
09-21-2012, 18:14
You're starting a non-profit to do all those good things. Very commendable! Yet it looks like the first thing you intend to do is take off on a 6 month hike. Makes me wonder if the non-profit is intended to benefit your hike instead of the other way around. Before I get all warm and fuzzy over your intentions, could you explain.

Absolutely Chief, I wish I had the resources to purchase the temporary housing that we will provide to the single mothers and their children, but I don't. This hike is to raise funds to accomplish the start of MCFFI. In all honesty I couldn't really think of a better way for people to get involved and see my sincerity in trying to help these single moms and kids, than by hiking 2000+ miles and sending videos from the trail to our website tracking my progress while raising funds to get us started. I do love hiking, I am not very good at it yet, I really don't desire being away from my own family for 6 months, but if MCFFI is to be successful and help the mom's and children that I think we can I will spend 6 months away from the people that I love so that I can do what I believe is what we are all supposed to do, help each other. Chief I hope you will take the time to track the hike and if you have a few minutes talk to me, I look forward to talking to you in the future.

Have a blessed day Chief.
appalachianboy. you didn't answer chief's question. will you purchase all gear, food, lodging and travel expenses with your own money? will every cent you raise go to the charity?

Cookerhiker
09-21-2012, 18:22
Looks like the answer is here:

"...anyone who has any connections to sponsors for trail food, gear, or any help that we can receive..."

chief
09-21-2012, 18:22
appalachianboy. you didn't answer chief's question. will you purchase all gear, food, lodging and travel expenses with your own money? will every cent you raise go to the charity?LW has an unfailing ability to get down to the nitty gritty.

Yeah, that's what I'm asking!

TD55
09-21-2012, 18:28
The OP is delusional, or, trying to run a scam. Take your pick.

ocourse
09-21-2012, 19:14
Is the housing tax-payer subsidized?

kayak karl
09-21-2012, 19:20
Is the housing tax-payer subsidized? .? .? .? .? .?

Slo-go'en
09-21-2012, 21:36
The OP is delusional, or, trying to run a scam. Take your pick.

I'm going to go with delusional. Or it could be a scam. Anytime faith and the Lord become part of the pitch, you have to start to wonder... it could go either way.

appalachianboy
09-21-2012, 21:50
Wow I just got back and it appears the topic of conversation is how the hike is being funded, well my soon to be friends I hope, the hike is already funded, (entirely by me and my wife) I would like to have some sponsorships for the hike (non-monetary) since my wifes salary will be the only income that my family has during my six month absense i think we have a prettyy sound budget in place but you never know when something will come up. The IRS is very distinct about the bylaws that are filed therefore if a donation is made to MCFFI those funds cannot be touched until the organization is functioning which in my best estimation will be late 2013 or early 2014 (thank God we have planned for that also). But if I don't receive anything from anyone and (I haven't as of right now) as far as the hike is concerned I do have amost all of my gear, I am planning my drops just like everyone else does, praying for good weather and looking forward to just hiking. The only way that we can accept donations legally that are for the organization is to have our 501c3 and that is what we are waiting on. The only sacrafice that I am concerned about is being away from the people that I love. You know I appreciate all of these questions and I hope that you all realize at some point I am doing this for only one purpose, if you have done any studying on what it takes to run a 501c3 you will know that the money isn't that purpose. I really don't mind sharing this with you all. I just hope you realize that everyone in the world is not out to hurt folks or do them an injustice. I do sincerely love people I have done alot of work with the childrens miracle network, the shriners, united way, I just really want to be able to help a group that I feel like deserves more than food stamps and a clothing voucher. If anything that I have posted has offended I truly apolijize, I do tend to get excited about the upcoming events and i certainly don't want to anger anyone.

Have a blessed night all

Jobe

johnnybgood
09-21-2012, 22:06
Good luck with your charity and maybe our paths will cross. I too am skeptical of "donation hikes" but you sir in my mind have passed the test. :sun

HikerMom58
09-21-2012, 22:28
I had some questions in my mind as well but I thought I would reserve judgement until I actually met you in person. I can figure someone out pretty quickly. I think you have been gracious in your reply to your "accusers". You had my support from the start and now I believe in you even more. Keep us informed as to how we can follow your journey. I don't have a "hostel" but I plenty of room in my home. I would be very happy for you to stay with us, when you pass through Daleville, VA. :sun

Feral Bill
09-21-2012, 22:36
The OP is delusional, or, trying to run a scam. Take your pick. Could be both. More than likely, really.

HikerMom58
09-21-2012, 23:05
TD55 and Feral Bill... you guys are not playing fair at all. You all are so worried about others being judgmental but then you guys are being so judgmental yourselves. Can't you see how that is so rude to say that you think someone is delusional? If I told you I actually met someone, in person, that seemed delusional you would tell me I was not PC and I had no right to pass judgement on them. Guys... it's not right to type these insulting words to anyone unless you know that what you are saying is true.

TD55
09-21-2012, 23:31
When a person comes on to an internet site to solicit funds they should assume that they will be asked questions and that their mission statement will be reviewed. Both Feral Bill and myself have experiance with non-profits and specificly with the care of human beings. The OP may have great intentions and I wish him the best, but he is taking on a huge reponsibility to assist some of the most vulnerable people in our society. It is not a task for amatures. He is duplicating what is done by other agencys and any persons who come to him instead of the already operational agencys are taking a risk.

My guess is that this kind of operation would need at the minimum, several hundred thousand dollars a year to operate. So, the idea that somehow a hike on the AT would generate those kinds of funds is delusional. If his idea is valid and has community support, his time would be better spent finding local supporters that can come up with that kind of funding.

appalachianboy
09-22-2012, 05:52
Good morning all, hope everyone slept well. HikerMomKD, thank you again for your kindness, I agree with most of what TD55 said in the last post, there are alot of folks out there that have way more experience in NP than I, but you will have to search pretty hard to find someone that has the faith that I do that this is going to be a good thing, delusional? I have been called much worse, Faithful is what I prefer but I knew coming into this that there would be folks that were doubters and even those that hated me before they knew me. A harsh reality in life is that we just can't seem to understand, no person here has the right to judge and we all do it anyway. Financially I will lose more than I gain from this adventure, spiritually, mentally, physically, I can't see anything but blessings coming out of it. I am heading to work now so I hope with all my heart that everyone here has a very blessed day.

Jobe

Cookerhiker
09-22-2012, 07:11
It sounds to me like you're living and practicing your faith admirably for a very worthy and beneficial cause which will help those in need. I commend you.:) What I question is whether taking 6 months to hike is the best use of your limited and valuable time (not to say $$$) to get this program off and running.

It's once thing to hike the AT for charity for an established organization with at least some recognition regionally if not nationally. In such cases, there's already an infrastructure for running the organization and operating the program. But in this case, you're starting from scratch. Were it me, I'd spend that 6 months meeting with churches and any other faith-based or community groups in as wide a circle as possible - 100 miles, 500 miles. You need face-to-face contact, you need to "sell" yourself and your endeavor. You're seeking not just contributions and "sponsors" (for the Foundation, not the hike) but also a cadre of volunteers.

Rather than spend $$$ on the hike, use what you would have spent on gear & hike costs for travel expenses and basic organizing costs like telephone, website, mailings, etc. - everything you need to set up these meetings and promote your program. It sounds like you have a business plan or something resembling one - prepare a simple but effective flyer to hand out. Even those churches that you can't visit, establish contacts via phone, send materials. Assemble a slideshow program. Write letters. Recruit volunteers (fellow church members are a start) to help you.

I'm not saying you'll get zero response through the hike; you already have some positive feelers. But I really feel that the people and groups most likely to support your project will be more responsive to personal contact from the leader (you) who's there for them i.e. for their questions, for their ideas, for their suggestions, for their offers to help. In short, your "payoff" is greater if you're on the scene, not off hiking hundreds of miles away.

Best wishes for your success.

kayak karl
09-22-2012, 09:05
Good morning all, hope everyone slept well. HikerMomKD, thank you again for your kindness, I agree with most of what TD55 said in the last post, there are alot of folks out there that have way more experience in NP than I, but you will have to search pretty hard to find someone that has the faith that I do that this is going to be a good thing, delusional? I have been called much worse, Faithful is what I prefer but I knew coming into this that there would be folks that were doubters and even those that hated me before they knew me. A harsh reality in life is that we just can't seem to understand, no person here has the right to judge and we all do it anyway. Financially I will lose more than I gain from this adventure, spiritually, mentally, physically, I can't see anything but blessings coming out of it. I am heading to work now so I hope with all my heart that everyone here has a very blessed day.

Jobe

Jobe? (hoping you are not comparing yourself to Job?)
you have not thought this thru. the trail is a vacation. senting home vacation videos will not help your cause in the least. you would do better climbing a mountain near you and sitting there till you raised money. that would make the news :) Delusional (a false belief or opinion)? yes you are. your faith my be strong, but you have a closed mind. you will be answerable for any moneys you get and if this fails it will be your fault. don't pass it off as most with "it just wasn't God's will"
Proverbs 18:17 He that speaks first in his own cause seems just; until his neighbor comes and examines him.

KK

TD55
09-22-2012, 09:35
you will have to search pretty hard to find someone that has the faith that I do that this is going to be a good thing, delusional?

Jobe

Yes, delusional, you have actually defined yourself as such. If no one considers your plan workable or realistic and believes it is doomed for failure, and it's success is based entirely on "faith" it falls into the definition of delusional. You can reach your dream for the vision of a non-profit that helps the women and children you want to help, but please, get off the hike for charity gig. It sounds like you are trying to get a paid vacation and using poor women, kids and Christ to do it. Not saying you are guitly of that, just saying it has the appearance.

appalachianboy
09-22-2012, 10:05
Good morning Karl, hope you are well. first of all the Federal government is very clear on 501c3's that do not make it through the start up phase. Any and all funds that were received through donations in the name of said organization must be forfeited to a organization that has the same objective as the organization that failed. I will give you an example, if I fail at this start up any funds that were donated to MCFFI. will be forfeited to the Abba House in Dawsonville Ga. or The bethel foundation in Oklahoma city Ok. In my profile in trail journals there is a story about the hiking name Jobe though it is one of my favorite stories in the bible I don't think anyone here can compare themselves to Job, I inherited that name by many smaller cousins when we all lived around each other growing up because they couldn' say my name (Toby) so it just kind of stuck. I see that you are a spiritual man and I believe what you are doing is just excersising what the word tells us in Psalms 118:8 "Where it tells us it is better to trust in the Lord than put confidence in man."
The writer of Hebrews wrote: "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, a conviction of things not seen" (Hebrews 11:1). Unless our faith is complete trust, we do not have the right kind of faith. Karl I am going to do the best that I can, I am going to do so in complete faith, and I will hope and pray that the Lord continues to bless me and this organization throught this life.

I hope you have a very blessed day Karl.

canoe
09-22-2012, 10:17

Jobe

The op said you are doing this to benifit the kids and mom and God ... now you are saying finacial it does nt make sense. hhmmm YOU ARE NOT MAKING SENSE. As some have already pointed out you are taking a si month vacation and want it funded under the vail of God and kids and mom. And that just pisses me off.

appalachianboy
09-22-2012, 10:27
Good morning TD55 hope you are well. It is true that alot of people do not believe this is a workable plan, fortunatly for me I have been blessed with a board of directors that are like minded and beleive this is very doable. I have just completed a class block on grant writing that I hope will benefit MCFFI but I stiil have to do some research on the proposal layout. I am not taking this lightly and I certainly don't consider it a paid vacation, as I said before I do love to hike, but I have never been away from my family for this amount of time and I have never hiked more than a week in one trip, so I do hope to grow spiritually, and when I return I hope to be better than I was when I left, and truly help as many single moms as I can get situated in life.

Have a blessed day TD55

canoe
09-22-2012, 10:40
Good morning TD55 hope you are well. It is true that alot of people do not believe this is a workable plan, fortunatly for me I have been blessed with a board of directors that are like minded and beleive this is very doable. I have just completed a class block on grant writing that I hope will benefit MCFFI but I stiil have to do some research on the proposal layout. I am not taking this lightly and I certainly don't consider it a paid vacation, as I said before I do love to hike, but I have never been away from my family for this amount of time and I have never hiked more than a week in one trip, so I do hope to grow spiritually, and when I return I hope to be better than I was when I left, and truly help as many single moms as I can get situated in life.

Have a blessed day TD55 Really what do you hope to accomplish in complete isolation that will benefit the cause...ecept for you to go for a 6month vacation. If you want to hike ...HIKE I cant believe a board of directors would say go for a 6 month vacation when this thing miraculously gets off the ground. It just wont happen while you are walking for 6 months...unless there is more to the story you re not sharing

Slo-go'en
09-22-2012, 10:45
I am sure Jobe is sincer in his desire to help others and his faith is strong. With all the cut backs to social programs (thank you Tea Party) the programs and services he proposes to offer are sorely needed in every community.

However, starting your own charity and then trying to promote it with a thru-hike is not an effective means of helping others. Since we don't know you Jobe, we don't even know if you have the skill sets needed to create and finance an effective program or the resources to hire the people who do. I get the distinct impression that you do not.

Jobe, we are trying to be kind and steer you in the right direction. As Cookerhiker said so well, a better way to help people is to continue your volunter services to all ready established groups in your area or help them to expand thier programs.

By all means, go on your thru-hike and you can even hike for charity if you like, but one which is already established. One idea is to get people and buisnesses in your local area to pleadge a donation based on how many miles you hike. At the end of the hike the money is collected, preferably paid directly to the charity in question. I would suggest the charity be a local church providing social services or a local community based orginazation.

Good luck

HikerMom58
09-22-2012, 11:09
I am sure Jobe is sincer in his desire to help others and his faith is strong. With all the cut backs to social programs (thank you Tea Party) the programs and services he proposes to offer are sorely needed in every community.

However, starting your own charity and then trying to promote it with a thru-hike is not an effective means of helping others. Since we don't know you Jobe, we don't even know if you have the skill sets needed to create and finance an effective program or the resources to hire the people who do. I get the distinct impression that you do not.

Jobe, we are trying to be kind and steer you in the right direction. As Cookerhiker said so well, a better way to help people is to continue your volunter services to all ready established groups in your area or help them to expand thier programs.

By all means, go on your thru-hike and you can even hike for charity if you like, but one which is already established. One idea is to get people and buisnesses in your local area to pleadge a donation based on how many miles you hike. At the end of the hike the money is collected, preferably paid directly to the charity in question. I would suggest the charity be a local church providing social services or a local community based orginazation.

Good luck

I think constructive criticism is so helpful. There's been a lot of that given to Jobe so far on this thread. :cool: But, look at the comments that are just mean spirited and hateful. Do you think that those comments say more about the person commenting than the comments themselves? I think they do...I feel compassion & empathy. It's not directed at me so it's easier to feel these things...

A person can share his/her feelings on any given subject without all the Riff Raff.

God bless you, Jobe. I will pray for wisdom, for you, in all you do. Maybe, you feel like you need to have a time away to prepare yourself for the work ahead. The trail will give you that time to prepare yourself. You will improve in all the ways you mentioned so you may already know that you need to do this for yourself.

kayak karl
09-22-2012, 11:11
you've turned a vacation into a pilgrimage and are leaving your family, spending their money for your sacrificial trip (?). you need to grab your pack and bible and go on a 3 day fast and search your motives, because that is what we are questioning. not your faith or charity.

HikerMom58
09-22-2012, 11:28
That's fair KK... we all have to keep checking our motives, we seem 2 have a prob. with them for time to time. It's so fun being human.. :eek:

appalachianboy
09-22-2012, 11:41
I think I am eliminating the word sacrafice and I will just use (miss my family alot.) Thanks for the input Karl.

appalachianboy
09-22-2012, 11:42
Thanks for all the comments Slo.

AnimalLover
09-22-2012, 13:08
Daddy,

I know some of these people are questioning you and your motives for this hike, and you know, it doesn't really matter what the judgmental ones say. I know your intentions are more than good, and you know that Momma, the sisters, and I are behind you 100%. All he (and we) need are your prayers and kind words, if you have something negative to say, take it elsewhere! All my Dad wants to do is help people! For those that are being encouraging and supportive, thank you so very much! I promise you, it is for a good cause! God bless you all!

Love you!
Jobe's Daughter ;)

HikerMom58
09-22-2012, 13:17
Daddy,

I know some of these people are questioning you and your motives for this hike, and you know, it doesn't really matter what the judgmental ones say. I know your intentions are more than good, and you know that Momma, the sisters, and I are behind you 100%. All he (and we) need are your prayers and kind words, if you have something negative to say, take it elsewhere! All my Dad wants to do is help people! For those that are being encouraging and supportive, thank you so very much! I promise you, it is for a good cause! God bless you all!

Love you!
Jobe's Daughter ;)

That's sooo sweet AnimalLover!! Have a great weekend... I'm off .. going hiking!

bwburgin1015
09-22-2012, 13:30
Jobe,
The best advice I can give is related to this message board... Do not answer a fool according to his folly,
Or you will also be like him. (Proverbs 26:4 NASB). Keep doing your thing and don't worry about all the naysayers. I've never seen people get so up in arms about something that doesn't affect them in the slightest. People...if you don't like what he's doing, don't support it. Why do you feel the need to be rude?

Moose2001
09-22-2012, 14:09
I think some of the skepticism of long time posters is that we've seen this before, watched others hike for a "charity" only to find the money wasn't going where they said it was and that it was more of a scam than anything else. Once burned....twice shy. Not saying Jobe's hike is a scam. Just we've seen similar postings before and we've seen how they turned out.

bwburgin1015
09-22-2012, 15:35
Totally reasonable and polite response. Nothing wrong with skepticism, just no room for the rudeness of some of the others. Thank you.

TD55
09-22-2012, 16:09
[QUOTE=bwburgin1015;13 just no room for the rudeness of some of the others. Thank you.[/QUOTE]
What is wrong with being rude to someone that camospams us? The cause has nothing to do with the maintaining or preservation of the AT. It isn't to help injured hikers or the many NP's, churches, trail angles or service providers that help us along the trail. Most of us have our own preferred charities. These folks that come here to solicit funds just because they are hiking the AT should be soliciting folks that are involved in the cause they represent. Why come here and tell us that their cause is more important than out cause? That seems kind of rude to me.

EllieMP
09-22-2012, 16:31
There appears to be great compassion on the part of Appalachianboy. My question is why you would leave such a huge undertaking at such a crucial time? This is no weekend fund raiser. Surely there is a greater need for you to be with the children.

HikerMom58
09-22-2012, 16:50
TD55.... I'm trying to understand you as best I can. Jobe is hiking the AT so he's not the first person nor will he be the last to hike to raise money for a cause.

OK, so what "beef" do you really have with him? Any kind of reservations about his motives, faith, or charity can be addressed in a respectful adult manner. Even if you are skeptical, it's not a problem. You can see all the comments being made and come up with your own conclusions about Jobe and his mission. But, you can leave out the rude piece, if you really want 2. I don't think you are being honest with yourself or any of us on here, as to why you feel the need to be rude. That's a judgement call being made on you, I know, but that's how you are coming across...we are open for clarification. We care about you just like we care about everyone else, so we don't want to be rude back to you. We are just trying to understand. If you don't care to explain anything more, we understand that as well...

If Jobe is a total fraud or doesn't have a pure motive for what he's presenting to us. We don't have to worry about that. He won't answer to any 1 of us for his behavior- so it's all good. If you didn't give him anything you don't have to feel like you were taken advantage of in any way.

hikerboy57
09-22-2012, 16:57
i had once had the idea to hike the AT for charity,why not, pursue a lifelong dream and do some good at the same time. but as i thought it through i realized it wasnt a good idea, at least not for me. for one thing i would not enjoy the hike with the additional responsibility of having to document everything as i go., and i also thought about dealing with the obligations of home and family while i was out on the trail.
its a great cause that you're raising money for, but in my opinion, i think you would have better success staying with your family and finding different avenues for raising money for your cause.Even with your family being so supportive, 6 months is a long time to be away from them, and theres a bit of irony in leaving your wife a "single mother with dependents.", even if its "just 6 months".
as others have said, many have come here to announce their "great cause" and much of the time these were people just looking for a way to hike the trail as a paid vacation while feeling good about themselves that theyre helping others.
I dont direct this comment towards you, its just been a recurring event on WB.
i also agree with finding donors for your cause somewhere other than WB.
For many here, the AT is the cause.
for me , my conclusion was"it sounded like a good idea at the time."
its just an opinion.theres millions of them out there.
Good luck.

Starchild
09-22-2012, 19:05
Hi Jobe

I have been reading many of the comments, citing scripture and declaring your thruhike a vacation. I do know the following God knows and judges the heart, people can quote Scripture all day long to try to diminish your efforts, but even Satan tried with Jesus and failed because Jesus' heart was pure and His cause just.

People can also try to classify your AT trip as a vacation but the AT trip is what you make of it. I can say it is not a vacation for everyone. To me it is a pilgrimage, a compelled learning opportunity simular to college and self enlightenment and much more hands on then college ever was. I don't see it as a vacation all, and I have been privileged enough to actually have lived on vacation for many years. Though times have changed quite a bit, for me the thru hike is no vacation but a unique and privileged learning opportunity.

Lone Wolf
09-22-2012, 19:40
it's just walkin' and campin' and stuff

appalachianboy
09-22-2012, 19:44
Thank you all for the threads and the honesty, I truly respect everyones opinion but more than that I truly care about not just these mom's

appalachianboy
09-22-2012, 19:50
(Sorry hit the button too soon.) and their kids but part of the program for the children is to introduce them to the outdoors and hiking. The other thing is this please everyone read this so no one else has to get mad at a bad statement I made. I don't want anyone here at WB to donate anything, I couldn't take it anyway we still don't have the approval from the IRS. If there is any doubt with anyone about how stern the IRS is please attempt to start a 501c3 they really cover their bases but I know that they do that becasue there are so many scammers out there. I can't make you trust or believe my effort until the effort is working until that time can I just hang out with you all and try to learn a few things until I leave. I promise Iawon't ask for anything except advice and prayers.

Everyone have a blessed and wonderful night.

Jobe

appalachianboy
09-22-2012, 19:55
Ellie, thanks for the message we do have a flier program started, and I also got our postal package yesterday so we get a cost savings on the brochure that we are sending to the churches and local businesses. We won't actually start with the kids until the moms and kids move into the housing and start the program. I have two teachers on the board of directors that are going to handle the after school tutoring program so that will be huge as we get this going.

Jobe

hikerboy57
09-22-2012, 19:56
don't worry about it i believe your heart's in he right place your welcome here.

kayak karl
09-22-2012, 20:13
hikermonkd, he likes to hike and wants to hike. he does not have the money either, but because of this charity he may get to hike it. :) he has avoided all suggestions and good advice and picks and chooses what to respond to. gone to the point of having daughter post to protect daddy from the nay-sayer. he is changing the word "sacrifice" as he realizes it maybe a flaw in his advertizing. he feels God is behind this and if you disagree you are going against GOD, not him.
["He won't answer to any 1 of us for his behavior- so it's all good."] well bless his heart:)

KK

chief
09-22-2012, 20:18
If Jobe is a total fraud or doesn't have a pure motive for what he's presenting to us. We don't have to worry about that. He won't answer to any 1 of us for his behavior- so it's all good. If you didn't give him anything you don't have to feel like you were taken advantage of in any way.
Interesting point of view. So I guess it would be alright with you if it turns out he scammed other hikers or some trail service providers, since you weren't directly affected. All good right? If you ever do a long hike on the AT, some of those just might turn out to be your friends.

HikerMom58
09-22-2012, 22:35
So...KK and chief... you guys are twisting words here. When I was saying he might be a fraud, I was just talking about how it would affect TD55, personally. I wasn't worried about it being TRUE, of course. Of course if I seriously thought he was a fraud, I wouldn't want him to scam anyone. I was directly talking 2 and addressing TD55's comment. I was trying to figure out how he thought that he could be directly affected, in the worst case scenario.

Also, KK where did you come up with this idea so u can make this statement?" he likes to hike and wants to hike. he does not have the money either, but because of this charity he may get to hike it". I must have missed that somewhere. I heard him say that he was trying to raise money for the ministry that he is trying to start up. As part of the fund raising for this ministry, he is going to hike the trail to raise awareness for this endevor and people could give/pledge money for completeing his thru hike. That's not uncommon at all. In 2010 a guy hiked the trail. He had people pledge money for his charity. The understanding was that would finish the trail and he did. He raised $1,000 for a inner city school in TX.

As for the judging comment, again, I was talking straight up to TD55 and reminding him that not 1 of ''us" will be the one, that Jobe will have to answer 2. We mainly need to be concerned with ourselves. You guys may not think/ believe that way and that's fine.
As far as Jobe's daughter sticking up for her Daddy.... that's so very normal. I seriously don't believe for 1 minute that Jobe put her up to that. She did that on her own accord. It's nothing but pure sweetness & a genuine love for her father.
As far as Jobe changing the use of a word, again, no prob with that one either. People do that when they feel like other people are not understanding what you are trying to say, or in this case, people using it against you, without real cause. You can spin things any which way you want too...
KK and chief - I care about you and what you think, you guys are important 2. I'm going to ask you guys, where's the respect? where's the love? It's something we all want... And what we sow, we reap. I know you guys are better people, than how you are coming across.... :)

TD55
09-22-2012, 22:58
Gee whiz HikerMom, I thought I was pretty clear in my post. What the heck is your question? You think I'm rude and have a beef with someone just because I wear big boy pants? Here is a clue, I don't facilitate people on their trail to failure or destuction. I don't respect folks who use the name of Christ and religion for their agenda. I don't deem it appropriate to come to WB and solicit funds for a purpose unrelated to hiking and hikers. Sorry if my opinions don't come up to your standards. But go ahead a fire away with any questions you might have about my responses to this thread.

HikerMom58
09-22-2012, 23:12
Gee whiz HikerMom, I thought I was pretty clear in my post. What the heck is your question? You think I'm rude and have a beef with someone just because I wear big boy pants? Here is a clue, I don't facilitate people on their trail to failure or destuction. I don't respect folks who use the name of Christ and religion for their agenda. I don't deem it appropriate to come to WB and solicit funds for a purpose unrelated to hiking and hikers. Sorry if my opinions don't come up to your standards. But go ahead a fire away with any questions you might have about my responses to this thread.

No, I don't have anymore questions TD55.... I think everything is as clear as a bell.... :)

appalachianboy
09-23-2012, 06:01
Thank you bw I appreciate the reminder.

You have a blessed day.

appalachianboy
09-23-2012, 06:58
Good morning Karl, maybe I didn't explain correctly, the hike is already covered, between my wife an I we have managed to save enough money to keep the home place functioning for about a year. If I had the funds to start the organization, get the living quarters, set up the classes, get the thrift store and pantry ready to run, purchase the items that we need for the activities for the kids, I probably wouldn't be doing this hike at this point. The only reason that I believed this can be successful is if I am sending video feeds from the trail to our website, it may give people a desire to help and get involved. That is what we are praying for. I know the opening statement about sponsors and hiking stuff rubbed alot of you the wrong way, I never intended that. I prefer your prayers over any contacts for trail food or anything else for that matter. As far as my daughter is concerned I didn't even know she was a member here, but I am glad she is. I have three daughters, 2 nurses in training and a teacher, I am very proud of them becasue they got to grew up in a house full of Love, they always had food, and clothing, and they had parents by the grace of God that have been together for 25 years. I am truly blessed. I want to share that with other people who may not have any other options. The Bible says very clearly in Galatians 6:2 what all of our responsabilities in this life are. Everyone aught to make that a part of their Bible study this morning.

To all have a blessed beautiful Sunday morning.

Jobe

canoe
09-23-2012, 08:35
Here a unique idea for fund raising. How about you stay where you are, roll up your sleaves, actually put your dream into action and video that for the next 6 months and put that on the internet. Ask for donations as you are acually doing something, More people would give to you acually doing the work you dream of than walking in the woods away from everything for 6 months. Just a little something to think about.

hikerboy57
09-23-2012, 08:42
at thru hike cost about 4000 dollars. don't you think you could use that money more effectively at home?

Slo-go'en
09-23-2012, 11:31
I'm suprised this thread isn't locked down yet.

Jobe, if you want to spend your money on a thru-hike, that's fine. Justify it anyway you want, just don't promote it as a fund rising effort. You might not be rising money for the hike it's self, but you do want to use it to rise money or you would not have started a thread entited "Hiking for single mothers..."

If your really serious about starting your charity, do what Canoe suggests. Put your money and effort into your cause, not a personal vacation, which has a good chance of not getting very far up the trail anyway. Come back in a couple of years and tell us all the good things you've done to help these poor woman - then go on a hike.

Cookerhiker
09-23-2012, 12:18
Here a unique idea for fund raising. How about you stay where you are, roll up your sleeves, actually put your dream into action and video that for the next 6 months and put that on the internet. Ask for donations as you are actually doing something, More people would give to you actually doing the work you dream of than walking in the woods away from everything for 6 months. Just a little something to think about.

Actually it's not that unique - it's very similar to what I suggested in Post # 28 to which the OP chose not to respond despite responding to most other posters' "suggestions," some of which were - to put it mildly - much less affirmative...

Good morning Karl, maybe I didn't explain correctly, the hike is already covered, between my wife an I we have managed to save enough money to keep the home place functioning for about a year. If I had the funds to start the organization, get the living quarters, set up the classes, get the thrift store and pantry ready to run, purchase the items that we need for the activities for the kids, I probably wouldn't be doing this hike at this point. The only reason that I believed this can be successful is if I am sending video feeds from the trail to our website, it may give people a desire to help and get involved. That is what we are praying for. I know the opening statement about sponsors and hiking stuff rubbed alot of you the wrong way, I never intended that. I prefer your prayers over any contacts for trail food or anything else for that matter. As far as my daughter is concerned I didn't even know she was a member here, but I am glad she is. I have three daughters, 2 nurses in training and a teacher, I am very proud of them becasue they got to grew up in a house full of Love, they always had food, and clothing, and they had parents by the grace of God that have been together for 25 years. I am truly blessed. I want to share that with other people who may not have any other options. The Bible says very clearly in Galatians 6:2 what all of our responsabilities in this life are. Everyone aught to make that a part of their Bible study this morning.

To all have a blessed beautiful Sunday morning.

Jobe

...and this quote explains why - you somehow think that videos of you hiking the AT will more likely move people to contribute and get involved than face-to-face interaction? On this point, I do believe you're delusional.

I'm still not second-guessing your motives or intentions but I can see why others say that you seem more interested in the hike than the project.

hikerboy57
09-23-2012, 12:28
it was mentioned in an earlier post how one guy hiked the AT and raised over $1000!!
well if, on the average, a thru hike costs roughly 3-4 thousand dollars. wouldnt he have done better just staying home?
its the reason that i gave up the idea myself, i realized that it was more about me hiking the at and feeling good about helping others at the same time, than any specific cause i had,(and I didnt even have one, at least the OP does).
Put you and your family's passion directly into the cause and i believe youll have much more success.

kythruhiker
09-23-2012, 12:44
I'd have to concur that this seems like a bad way to express your passion for your newly created non profit. By all means, hike if you want, but don't wrap it up in a "worthy cause + Jesus" blanket. Who is your target here? Do you plan on approaching other hikers and sell them on this "cause" in the hopes they give you a handout? Not sure I understand where you think donations are going to come from. Folks back home, I'd imagine, would be more likely to give money to support your organization if you are in the community actually building said organization, not out in the woods pursuing personal goals.

At any rate, HYOH, and best of luck whatever you do.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

HikerMom58
09-23-2012, 13:23
it was mentioned in an earlier post how one guy hiked the AT and raised over $1000!!
well if, on the average, a thru hike costs roughly 3-4 thousand dollars. wouldnt he have done better just staying home?
its the reason that i gave up the idea myself, i realized that it was more about me hiking the at and feeling good about helping others at the same time, than any specific cause i had,(and I didnt even have one, at least the OP does).
Put you and your family's passion directly into the cause and i believe youll have much more success.

Yes, Hikerboy.. someone I knew hiked the trail & raised $1,000 for a good cause... He would have hiked the trail, reguardless. Ok, so here's the deal-E-0- I believe that someone can hike the trail on their own dime. Just like my friend- he hiked, paid for his own hike. on his own, and gave the $1,000 he raised to the charity after the hike. I hope this clears up the confusion once and for all.

As far as the comments about the faith part... Sorry guys, you're showing your true colors when you" poo-poo" someone's faith. It just looks bad on you...

hikerboy57
09-23-2012, 13:49
Yes, Hikerboy.. someone I knew hiked the trail & raised $1,000 for a good cause... He would have hiked the trail, reguardless. Ok, so here's the deal-E-0- I believe that someone can hike the trail on their own dime. Just like my friend- he hiked, paid for his own hike. on his own, and gave the $1,000 he raised to the charity after the hike. I hope this clears up the confusion once and for all.

As far as the comments about the faith part... Sorry guys, you're showing your true colors when you" poo-poo" someone's faith. It just looks bad on you...
i understand hikermom, but his own dime cost about 3 or 4 grand.

Aquonehostel
09-23-2012, 14:02
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=392776 Jobe did you attempt the hike in 2010, and if you did, why has it taken so long to get: 1023 for the nonprofit organization?

johnnybgood
09-23-2012, 14:08
Best case scenerio sees the OP obtaining gear that actually will get him up the trail. He still needs money to buy food,make mail drops,shuttles,possible repairs to gear,replenish toiletry items .

I agree with others about this expense being such an undertaking.

Good Luck !

chief
09-23-2012, 16:17
KK and chief - I care about you and what you think, you guys are important 2. I'm going to ask you guys, where's the respect? where's the love? It's something we all want... And what we sow, we reap. I know you guys are better people, than how you are coming across.... :)Jeez, I'd really like to be a better person, but with all those single moms out there....

HikerMom58
09-23-2012, 16:40
Jeez, I'd really like to be a better person, but with all those single moms out there....

Don't tell me that's why not many people know your real name... sorry I couldn't resist! ;)

Rasty
09-23-2012, 16:54
Jeez, I'd really like to be a better person, but with all those single moms out there....

Don't tell me that's why not many people know your real name... sorry I couldn't resist! ;)

One in every port?:D

appalachianboy
09-23-2012, 16:56
I hiked the Georgia section of the AT before my wife became ill in 2010. I came off in North Carolina. The application for the 1023 was filed in July 2012 and they told me when I filed it would be between 3 and 6 months getting approval, the IRS sent me a letter last week informing me there was three groups that they class the 1023 in (ready, almost ready, not close to ready.) They didn't tell me which group we were in they just gave me the time possibilities of the approval.

chief
09-23-2012, 17:03

One in every port?:D

You guys must be thinking of another member of this forum, chiefdaddy.

appalachianboy
09-23-2012, 17:13
Thanks for all the comments and everyone who took the time to reply to this thread, I never realized that I would feel the way that I do at this point only posting a couple of days ago, I will share one more thing with you all and then I will bow out of your threads, you have definately reafirmed what I already knew, there is good and bad in everyone. I came here never claiming to be anything but someone who wants to try to help a group that definately needs it. I have spent the bulk of my time since I got here trying to defend myself to folks that don't even know me. The only thing I have to say is this I spend my time on my knees everyday seeking guidance in this life that I am no more sure of than the next sunrise, but I will not judge you, I will instead spend my time trying to clean around my own porch that most of you have pointed out is absolutely filthy. A litlle cleaning never hurt anyone. I am sorry for the disruption, and in this heart that you don't know I pray that each one of your are blessed in your endeavors whatever they may be.

God bless you all at WB

Jobe

Lone Wolf
09-23-2012, 17:18
Hello all at Whiteblaze, I have been a member here for a while but I have never posted or had anything to share until now. I am currently waiting for approval of our 1023 for the nonprofit organization that I have started called Mountain Care Fellowship Foundation Inc. this organization will benefit single mothers with dependent children obtain temporary living quarters that they may purchase after a 10 month program in which they will attend a variety of life improvement classes such as GED completion, computer classes, cooking, canning, self improvement, how to handle job interviews, resume building, along with many other classes to make them more self sufficient. We will also try to link them to employers in their areas to get them some OJT with the possibilty of gaining full time employment after the program is complete. We will offer the children after school tutoring to help them in any classes that they may be having problems with. We will also offer overnight hiking trips for the kids to use as motivational and confidence building blocks, that allow them to enjoy the outdoors and beauty that has been provided to all of us but not readily available to them. We will have faith building classes along with Bible studies, that include the keys to this life, we will also have mentoring classes, and time for the children just to be kids while offering them a safe haven from issues that we hope to help them leave behind. I will begin a north bound thru hike on Feb. 20th 2013 to benefit this organization and will be sending video feeds from the trail to our website, twitter, facebook, and youtube, that will cover life from the A.T. and the different things that are encountered by doing a thru hike. I look forward to Feb. and getting started on this most worthwhile adventure. If you can help we thank you in advance, if you pray please throw one out there for us, if you see me on the A.T. please take time to talk. I will need all the prayers and support I can get on this thru hike knowing that I will be away from my own family for 6 months, I truly believe what the Bible says in Galatians 6:2 "Bear ye each others burdens and so fulfill the laws of Christ" I hike under the name Jobe and I look forward to seeing all of you out on the trail in 2013.

God bless

Thanks for all the comments and everyone who took the time to reply to this thread, I never realized that I would feel the way that I do at this point only posting a couple of days ago, I will share one more thing with you all and then I will bow out of your threads, you have definately reafirmed what I already knew, there is good and bad in everyone. I came here never claiming to be anything but someone who wants to try to help a group that definately needs it. I have spent the bulk of my time since I got here trying to defend myself to folks that don't even know me. The only thing I have to say is this I spend my time on my knees everyday seeking guidance in this life that I am no more sure of than the next sunrise, but I will not judge you, I will instead spend my time trying to clean around my own porch that most of you have pointed out is absolutely filthy. A litlle cleaning never hurt anyone. I am sorry for the disruption, and in this heart that you don't know I pray that each one of your are blessed in your endeavors whatever they may be.

God bless you all at WB

Jobe

sorry the non-hikers ran you off. i applaud what you're doing

HikerMom58
09-23-2012, 17:46
[QUOTE=chief;1341059]You guys must be thinking of another member of this forum, chiefdaddy.

Yeah, this belongs on another thread. I was trying to lighten things up on here. It backfired! Seriously though.....

This is what happens when we can't communicate in person. I'm really sad about the # of people on here that just made up things and twisted words around. I have to go now but I will be back to explain... sometimes you end up with more questions than you do answers. :/

HikerMom58
09-23-2012, 21:44
I believe that Jobe started the thread to announce to a hikers forum that he was planning a thru-hike in 2013. I believe that he was fully prepared to spend the 4k or so on his own hike. I could be wrong about that part... IDK. I think he felt like hiking, at this time, for reasons not fully known to us.. he didn't share that piece with us. He knows the big picture and was just sharing a part of it with us.

He went on to share, with this community of hikers, what his passion or his dream is for helping others in need..... single mothers with dependant children. He wasn't asking any of us for any kind of support except for kind words or like he mentioned, prayer. I do believe that he would be grateful for and hoping for "extra" offerings of "trail magic" along the way. That is OK with me. I'm sure he would have been pleased with donations from people on here but in no way was he being pushy about it. No harm in putting it out there. People do it all the time....

I don't know or understand how he was going to "promote himself" exactly in soliciting donations for his cause or incorperating this in his thru-hike. He mentioned having a huge amount of faith , so what some of you all called "delusional thinking" may be where that could come from....I don't think having faith is delusional. Maybe, his plans wouldn't have worked out as he thought they might or maybe he could give up the hike & work it out some other way. There may be a better way... IDK. Constructive criticism is fine but being hateful and rude?- not so much. Mentioning his plans on here would be focused on the hiking piece of the plan. Here's the thing...I see no reason to question or critque this man's plans unless you were planning on investing your $$ or whatever in this man's plan. This stinks now b/c a member of WB does not feel comfortable any longer. The fear that was expressed over him doing this hike and scaming people, was the mistake. So many posts were helpful and wished him luck..why couldn't they have all been like that?.. JW. I don't want to keep this thread going. I'm sad that this happened.

hikerboy57
09-23-2012, 21:50
If his heart is pure he will find all the support he needs.
and I believe his heart is pure.

canoe
09-23-2012, 22:04
I believe that Jobe started the thread to announce to a hikers forum that he was planning a thru-hike in 2013. I believe that he was fully prepared to spend the 4k or so on his own hike. I could be wrong about that part... IDK. I think he felt like hiking, at this time, for reasons not fully known to us.. he didn't share that piece with us. He knows the big picture and was just sharing a part of it with us.

He went on to share, with this community of hikers, what his passion or his dream is for helping others in need..... single mothers with dependant children. He wasn't asking any of us for any kind of support except for kind words or like he mentioned, prayer. I do believe that he would be grateful for and hoping for "extra" offerings of "trail magic" along the way. That is OK with me. I'm sure he would have been pleased with donations from people on here but in no way was he being pushy about it. No harm in putting it out there. People do it all the time....

I don't know or understand how he was going to "promote himself" exactly in soliciting donations for his cause or incorperating this in his thru-hike. He mentioned having a huge amount of faith , so what some of you all called "delusional thinking" may be where that could come from....I don't think having faith is delusional. Maybe, his plans wouldn't have worked out as he thought they might or maybe he could give up the hike & work it out some other way. There may be a better way... IDK. Constructive criticism is fine but being hateful and rude?- not so much. Mentioning his plans on here would be focused on the hiking piece of the plan. Here's the thing...I see no reason to question or critque this man's plans unless you were planning on investing your $$ or whatever in this man's plan. This stinks now b/c a member of WB does not feel comfortable any longer. The fear that was expressed over him doing this hike and scaming people, was the mistake. So many posts were helpful and wished him luck..why couldn't they have all been like that?.. JW. I don't want to keep this thread going. I'm sad that this happened.

Sorry HM he asks three times for support help etc in the op

hikerboy57
09-23-2012, 22:14
I think what most of us are struggling with this is what he's a chieving by going hiking for 6 months. it's pretty unclear how it benefits his cause, and a thru hike is costly.. but if he's absolutely convinced that this is without a doubt the best way for him to achieve his goal, then I wish him all the luck.

swjohnsey
09-23-2012, 22:43
I lose sleep nights worrin' 'bout single mothers. I gonna hike for hookers next year.

Train Wreck
09-23-2012, 23:51
I lose sleep nights worrin' 'bout single mothers. I gonna hike for hookers next year.

Why don't you go pick on the other folks who are asking people to fund their hike just so they can make a movie?

Cookerhiker
09-25-2012, 13:27

He said more than once that he felt - in good faith - that hiking the AT and reporting back on his progress using videos was the best, most effective, and only way to raise $$$ for the Foundation

...I see no reason to question or critque this man's plans unless you were planning on investing your $$ or whatever in this man's plan. This stinks now b/c a member of WB does not feel comfortable any longer. The fear that was expressed over him doing this hike and scaming people, was the mistake. So many posts were helpful and wished him luck..why couldn't they have all been like that?...

I disagree - my impression was that his ministry to single mothers was the most important priority in his life; as such, my good faith suggestion to him was that his objective could best be attained by staying home and seeking donors and support with face-to-face contact. If this means "criticizing his [hike] plans,] it was done in the spirit of wanting him to succeed in his first priority.

HikerMom58
09-25-2012, 18:26
=Cookerhiker;1341648]He said more than once that he felt - in good faith - that hiking the AT and reporting back on his progress using videos was the best, most effective, and only way to raise $$$ for the Foundation

I disagree - my impression was that his ministry to single mothers was the most important priority in his life; as such, my good faith suggestion to him was that his objective could best be attained by staying home and seeking donors and support with face-to-face contact. If this means "criticizing his [hike] plans,] it was done in the spirit of wanting him to succeed in his first priority.[/QUOTE]

Cookerhiker- I didn't ever have a chance to tell you but I thought ur post to him was very helpful and fair. He didn't comment on it but that doesn't mean he didn't take what you said into consideration.

I'm not good at expresssing my thoughts well. We are on the same page, tho. I do feel like he wanted to hike the trail, first and foremost. What we found confusing was exactly how he was going to pull off trying to "kill 2 birds with 1 stone." It just seemed hard to imagine, what that it would look like. I think that he has the funds already, in place, to hike the trail, himself. Like you said, he said, is going to set up a web site so he can report his progress using video's, pics etc... along the way. In his mind, that is the most effective way and the only way to raise $$$ for the Foundation, because he really wants to hike. He isn't trying to raise $$ to hike but he is trying to raise $$ for the Foundation while hiking. I don't have a problem with that. I don't think he was trying to scam anyone. People accused him of all kinds of things and judged him unfarily. It was surreal!! I think most people, looking back on it, would agree.