PDA

View Full Version : San Juan 75-miler Post trip report

on_the_GOEZ
09-21-2012, 00:36
First and foremost, thanks to the helpful posts from other WBers. Here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?87179-San-Juan-60-miler) a link to my original post.

Ill start off by saying: Neither my girlfriend or I had ever been west of Chicago to experience anything like the Rocky Mountains. We moved to Denver two weeks ago and felt the itch to hike immediately. We were completely unprepared for what we encountered. We did the section on the CT from Molas Pass south (west) to Durango in 4 days, appx 75 miles. The section was astonishingly breathtaking hugely beautiful! Out of 10 if we would do it again, we both give it a 8.5. Water was good, campsites were aplenty, and the others we met were loving it just as much. Plenty of horse apples; I was jealous they were able to let loose wherever :p The mountains were majestic, and I can't wait to go through them again on a CDT and CT thru! HELL YES!

Morning after a heavy rain looking out from saddle just before Bolas Pass.
Morning after camping just after FS-550. Stunning couple of miles along the ridge!
The best trail magic is that which is least expected!

Amuse-buche of Ritz, Spam, cheddar cheese, and Avocado
A few miles before Taylor Lake
Taylor Lake
Sun-warming breakfast just after Kennebec Pass

Thanks again and can't wait for the next trip!

treesloth
09-21-2012, 07:21
Those pics look awesome. Good for you, dude! :)

Cookerhiker
09-21-2012, 07:26
Glad you enjoyed the hike - it's a gorgeous area. Nice photos. You did that section in 4 days? I'm impressed - took us 5 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=363293).

We also had heavy rain around Bolas Pass

I have a photo of my hiking partner in the exact same place as your photo #2

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/12406/tj12406%5F102111%5F095043%5F642941.jpg

RodentWhisperer
09-21-2012, 08:35
Welcome to the Rockies. Great pics!

On Track
09-21-2012, 09:32
Fantastic!! Q: "completely unprepared" for what?

Cookerhiker
09-21-2012, 09:43

I"d guess his answer is this part of his message:

...Ill start off by saying: Neither my girlfriend or I had ever been west of Chicago to experience anything like the Rocky Mountains. We moved to Denver two weeks ago and felt the itch to hike immediately. We were completely unprepared for what we encountered....

colorado_rob
09-21-2012, 09:50
Welcome to Colorado!!!!! The bad news is: on your first CO Rockies visit, you went to the very best place in the state, IMHO. Now you're hooked on the San Juans, long drive from Denver! Still plenty of great places in this state, check out the Sangre De Cristos next, closer drive, stunning beauty.

I'm itching to do the entire CO trail myself as a thru, but first.... the AT because I grew up back east.

BTW: check out the Colorado Mountain Club (cmc.org) if you want to meet some great hiking/climbing folks. As an example of what they do: two weekends ago, the CMC placed a team on top of every single 14,000' peak in the state (55 of them), all on the same day (9/8), to celebrate their 100 year anniversary.

on_the_GOEZ
09-21-2012, 10:25

I"d guess his answer is this part of his message:

Precisely, Cookerhiker. We expected big mountains but nothing like the multitude of colors, shapes and sizes the mountains offered. Our prejudgements fell short of preparing us for the Rockies because we'd never seen anything like them. I mean this in a good way, of course.

on_the_GOEZ
09-21-2012, 10:30
Welcome to Colorado!!!!! The bad news is: on your first CO Rockies visit, you went to the very best place in the state, IMHO. Now you're hooked on the San Juans, long drive from Denver! Still plenty of great places in this state, check out the Sangre De Cristos next, closer drive, stunning beauty.

I'm itching to do the entire CO trail myself as a thru, but first.... the AT because I grew up back east.

BTW: check out the Colorado Mountain Club (cmc.org) if you want to meet some great hiking/climbing folks. As an example of what they do: two weekends ago, the CMC placed a team on top of every single 14,000' peak in the state (55 of them), all on the same day (9/8), to celebrate their 100 year anniversary.

I'm glad I did the AT first because it will be hard to go back to more or less a single ridge of trail. One of my favorite parts of the CT was NOT knowing where the trail would take us.. The AT is fairly predicable, in comparison - i.e. if there's a mountain in the distance while on the AT, you're more than likely going to go over it. Not so on the CT.

colorado_rob (or anyone else) - a quick question: my girlfriend and I are wanting to do Mt. Elbert or Mt. Massive this weekend. What's the story about the 14er season? If we start early in the day, is it still possible to do?

Cookerhiker
09-21-2012, 10:51
Precisely, Cookerhiker. We expected big mountains but nothing like the multitude of colors, shapes and sizes the mountains offered. Our prejudgements fell short of preparing us for the Rockies because we'd never seen anything like them. I mean this in a good way, of course.

It is for this variation of color - not just in the myriad displays of wildflowers, but the mountains, the sky, even the soil - that I've titled the book I'm writing about the CT "Shades of Gray, Splashes of Color - A Colorado Trail Thruhike."

colorado_rob
09-21-2012, 10:55
colorado_rob (or anyone else) - a quick question: my girlfriend and I are wanting to do Mt. Elbert or Mt. Massive this weekend. What's the story about the 14er season? If we start early in the day, is it still possible to do? Sure, this is actually the perfect time of year, less afternoon thunderstorm risk, aspen colors should be prime, enjoy! Do Elbert first. Start with the highest!

Dogwood
10-14-2012, 03:34
Those were some GREEAT CT sections you hiked. You did miss Elk Creek and the switchbacks up to Molas Pass though so you never got to see and hear the Silverton and Durango Railroad steam engine chugging along below on the banks of the Animas River during the fall leaf peeping season . GORGEOUS! What did you think of the spectacular ridge walk along the Highline Trail a few miles north of Taylor lake? Did you camp anywhere near Kennebec Pass. There's a great night view of the city lights of Durango from there. Just putting a little worm on the hook so you can look forward to more of the CT in the near future.

trapper
10-31-2012, 08:19
It is for this variation of color - not just in the myriad displays of wildflowers, but the mountains, the sky, even the soil - that I've titled the book I'm writing about the CT "Shades of Gray, Splashes of Color - A Colorado Trail Thruhike."
this book available yet? or are you still writing? id like a copy

Cookerhiker
10-31-2012, 09:11
this book available yet? or are you still writing? id like a copy

Hopefully by the end of winter. I've written most of it but the last 10% seems to take the longest.:o Plus, I need to make the self-publishing arrangements.

Mags
10-31-2012, 10:50
Hopefully by the end of winter. I've written most of it but the last 10% seems to take the longest.:o Plus, I need to make the self-publishing arrangements.

I think self-publishing is the way to go for niche books. My buddy Disco went that route for this book (http://www.pmags.com/book-review-i-hike-by-lawton-disco-grinter) and it is working out well.

Wuff
01-07-2013, 14:26
Mags - Purchased "I Hike" last month while I was drunkenly reading my Twitter feed, and saw your tweet about the book. You're a good salesman (and the book is pretty good too).

Mags
01-07-2013, 15:02
Mags - Purchased "I Hike" last month while I was drunkenly reading my Twitter feed, and saw your tweet about the book. You're a good salesman (and the book is pretty good too).

Just very loyal to my friends. :) (I also happen to like the book!)