PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather gear for the Whites

Jeff
05-08-2005, 06:57
Would like to hear from experienced AT hikers who have accomplished the trek through the White Mtns & Maine.

What "cold weather" gear was most appropriate to pick up in Glencliff to safely get through the Whites???? Would you hang on to all of it for a July/Aug hike through Maine?

Peaks
05-08-2005, 18:56
Would like to hear from experienced AT hikers who have accomplished the trek through the White Mtns & Maine.

What "cold weather" gear was most appropriate to pick up in Glencliff to safely get through the Whites???? Would you hang on to all of it for a July/Aug hike through Maine?

Assuming that you are not pushing the season:

20 degree sleeping bag
rain pants (in addition to rain jacket)
more fleece and poly pro clothes.

There are 2 long stretchs of ridge walks above tree line. It has snowed up there every month of the year, so you need to be prepared for cold and wet weather.

littledragon
05-24-2005, 21:57
What is pushing the season for the Whites? Is the end of May/first of June pusing it? Anyone have first- hand knowledge of that area for May/June?

:confused:

mdjeeper
05-24-2005, 22:04
what i have run into in the whites in May/June (though I am far from being an expert) is that you can plan on still finding ice in several spots mainly on the northern side of lot of slopes, lots of mud at the mid elevations and majorly swampy in the troughs. Temperature wise, great hiking weather during the day , but be prepared for it to chill quickly once the sun goes down and be ready for afternoon storms

SavageLlama
05-24-2005, 22:39
What is pushing the season for the Whites?
uh, I think you're supposed to stop wearing white after Labor Day...

:D

ripple
05-25-2005, 07:30
There is still snow and ice, in the whites right now. Snow line starts around 3200 feet. Some spots are 2 feet deep still, and plenty of ice. The peaks are for the most part clear. Weather has been a little colder for this time of year so I would guess the snow and ice will be around a little longer then the norm.

Ender
05-25-2005, 09:35
uh, I think you're supposed to stop wearing white after Labor Day...

:D

Nice one! Wish I had thought of that. :D

fiddlehead
05-25-2005, 22:57
I don't know what you are carrying now but personally, i would perhaps add rain pants (i don't always carry them) and another fleece top and fleece gloves instead of just lightweight liners. have fun.

Mr. Clean
05-26-2005, 06:08
Don't forget a nice fleece hat!