PDA

View Full Version : how to get a few extra degrees from quilt?

Pumba
09-21-2012, 23:58
I just purchased an enlightened equipment 30 degree quilt. I'm hoping to do a 3 day hike in SNP in two weeks, but I have concerns with the quilt keeping me warm enough with the cool weather we've been having.

What do you all suggest as a good way to add a bit of extra warmth, just in case? A liner? Wool PJ's? Something else?

Thanks!

on_the_GOEZ
09-22-2012, 00:11
Silk (or any other fabric) liner works best. I also make sure the quilt is tucked in around my shoulders. Not sure of the EE quilt but Warbonnet's gives you an elastic strap at the very top to cinch the quilt closed around my neck.

MMMM nice n cozy!

PS my hiking partner though of a pretty cheap alternative to a liner - a fleece onesie from WallHell for $20. Came in 'Tinkerbell' pattern, too!

jeffmeh
09-22-2012, 08:31
Obviously, cover your head with a hat or balaclava. Bring enough layers of warm clothing so that if you wear all of it under the quilt you will be comfortable. The clothing is more versatile than a liner, but if you want to carry an extra liner, go for it.

Slo-go'en
09-22-2012, 11:08
Wearing too many clothes can be counter productive. I typically wear just light weight thermal tops and bottoms in bed when it get chilly out. A hat and socks can help a lot too. A balaclava is good as it covers your neck too, or get a fleece neck warmer. The main problem is with drafts, since you can't zip the quilt around you. A liner will help a lot with that.

jeffmeh
09-22-2012, 12:40
Wearing too many clothes can be counter productive. I typically wear just light weight thermal tops and bottoms in bed when it get chilly out. A hat and socks can help a lot too. A balaclava is good as it covers your neck too, or get a fleece neck warmer. The main problem is with drafts, since you can't zip the quilt around you. A liner will help a lot with that.

Yes, there is some "art" in making multiple layers work. Basically it's key to make sure that nothing is too tight (restricts blood flow) and that nothing is compressed (compromises insulation). It's definitely easier to do with a quilt than inside a tight bag. That said, I tend to be a warm sleeper so usually do the same (one layer of thermals, balaclava, socks) and can do fine with a 20deg quilt. If it really gets cold I would use a down jacket as another "half blanket," and if I were still cold add another layer of thermals, then perhaps drape the poncho over the top, then I would be out of options and start shivering. Whatever works. :)

Wise Old Owl
09-22-2012, 12:47
fleece beanie.....

et_afig
09-22-2012, 13:14
WOO solves it again! lol I just bought a golite 3 season quilt and I'm really excited to try it out. I'm still on deployment, but I'll be returning home in Dec and driving up to Ohio to retrieve it from my parent's. Hopefully this will be a mild winter and I will have the opportunity to test it out.

10-K
09-22-2012, 13:15
If you just need a few degrees pay attention to the site selection for your shelter.

jeffmeh
09-22-2012, 13:19
fleece beanie.....

I like this one even better http://www.blackrockgear.com/buy.html

Wise Old Owl
09-22-2012, 14:32
Hey that looks like what Shug wears! on Hammock Forums.

jeffmeh
09-22-2012, 15:00
Hey that looks like what Shug wears! on Hammock Forums.

I got to try out much of the gear we purchased for my son's thru hike, as he was out of the country while we were accumulating much of it. That down beanie is incredibly warm for its weight.

daddytwosticks
09-22-2012, 15:25
+1 for the fleece beanie. I'd also bring something like a Montbell Thermawrap for wearing around camp and under that quilt for extra warmth. :)

Pumba
09-23-2012, 11:31
Any suggestions for good themals? I have an old pair from wal mart or Target; Hanes, I think. I also have a pair of silk bottoms. I was planning on bringing those.

Rocket Jones
09-23-2012, 12:29
I got my lightweights from The Underwear Guys (http://www.theunderwearguys.com/). I think I heard that one of the owners is on WB occasionally. Anyways, good stuff at good prices. Not affiliated, just a satisfied customer.

Besides the long johns, I also picked up a fleece neck gaiter, a pair of what they call croc liners and some light gloves.

jeffmeh
09-23-2012, 12:42
Any suggestions for good themals? I have an old pair from wal mart or Target; Hanes, I think. I also have a pair of silk bottoms. I was planning on bringing those.

I am a big fan of merino wool, under all conditions. Good deals can be found at http://www.departmentofgoods.com/sales/search.html?mv_session_id=DFjcS8bF&aff=1&q=merino+wool#search=%26path%3Dcdepartmentofgoods% 2523%2523%252d1%2523%2523%252d1%257e%257eq6d657269 6e6f20776f6f6c%26page%3D2%26scroll%3D950

skinewmexico
09-23-2012, 14:11
A bivy helps, and a really good pad helps a lot. On top of the clothing mentioned previously.

juma
11-24-2012, 17:25
quilt wings - couldn't do without them. also a way to cinch up the top of the quilt around your shoulders and neck. you gotta have a good R-factor mattress too.

Dogwood
11-24-2012, 20:10
Lots of good advise here. I'll mimic more of the same.

Throw in a Cocoon silk liner and sleep in a tent. That alone will add in excess of 10 extra degress of toast. I think a liner alone can really help in the toast dept for adding warmth in a quilt. Adding a bivy into the mix, some of which are less than 6 oz, can add about 8* Of course, add layers to sleep in. If it's down your sleeping in try not to overly compromise the loft. The MB Thermawrap vest is a decent UL layereing piece for sleeping or hiking on milder winter treks because it's synthetic just don't expect a HUGE amount of warmth with it . I really like throwing in the mix light wt silk or cheapy synthetic bottoms(not overly constricting though) during winter treks and a mid wt merino wool 1/4 zip long sleeved top(appropriate wt for the anticipated weather conditions and gear kit). It's nice to switch into something warm and dry if your winter trek turns wet or your clothes and feet get wet. BTW be mindful of not getting sweaty on cold winter treks. COLD, WINDY, WET is a recipe for hypothermia. Make sure your dry before getting into your quilt during winter, especially if you are using a down quilt as you are.

Obviously, taking a higher R value inflaty mattress or throw a closed cell foam thinny pad on top of the inflaty mattress. I switch from a shortie NeoAir I use during 3 season fairer weather treks to a WOMEN'S higher R-value longer length(66' compared to 47") NeoAir for above 0 * winter treks. Sleep in a beanie, whatever it's made from(I prefer thinnish merino or alpaca) and thin nylon running gloves and appropriate wt thermals, either synthetic or merino or a blend. No shelter or bivy careful site selection can be a key factor in nesting warmly. Bring along some HotHands, Toasties, or equivalent for hands and feet. Whether hiking or sleeping in winter concentrate on keeping your core and extremities warm but again not hot which can lead to sweating both when you hike and when you sleep. I've made the mistake in the past, in my quest to stay warm during winter treks, to become too warm that leads to not only being uncomfortable but also to possibly being dangerously sweaty!

Without a tent, hammock, tarp, or bivy I can comfortably nest in my GoLite 3 season 20 * rated down quilt in 10*while cowboying. I'm a somewhat neutral to cool sleeper. This winter I'm looking to experiment more with a winter gear kit that includes the GL quilt and no shelter but a cuben tarp. Going to try taking it down to about 5 * this winter with careful site selection