PDA

View Full Version : 1 week in SW VA early Oct

bspycc79
09-22-2012, 01:34
40-something male will be hiking ~90 miles NoBo in Southwest Virginia approx Oct 6-12. Thinking Troutdale to Lickskillet Hollow, but open to other ideas. I'll have well-behaved "kids" (17-year-old exchange student and 22-y.o. Marine) with me part of the trek. 10-15 miles per day, would love to work cars to slackpack at least part of it. Always room for more...

JJJ
09-22-2012, 06:24
What about Bland to Damascus (115 miles ) or Groseclose to Damascus (70 miles), unless you've already done the Highlands section.

Rain Man
09-22-2012, 09:50
Not meaning to hi-jack your straight-forward thread, but where's your exchange student from? What program?

My family and I have hosted a dozen high school exchange students over the years and I've taken several of them backpacking on the AT. What great fun and what an experience for them (and me)! Two of our three daughters went overseas themselves, one to Argentina and one to Panama. They loved it so much, both have been back to visit their own host families.

Hard to go wrong in SW Virginia for an AT outing in early October. I imagine you know all about the Grayson Highlands?

Farther up, a stop at the Wood's Hole Hostel would be amazing for your crew (was for mine). And the ridgeline views on that stretch are quite wonderful south of Pearisburg. You'd also get to hike past Dismal Falls, not a bad stop.

Have a great hike!

Rain Man

bspycc79
09-22-2012, 10:03
What about Bland to Damascus (115 miles ) or Groseclose to Damascus (70 miles), unless you've already done the Highlands section.

JJJ,

No, I haven't done the Highlands yet, and would consider these options if you want to join up. Honestly, would love to do Damascus to Groseclose and then decide if I can power through to Bland and still get back to work before I run out of vacation days. Let me know if you are seriously interested, because I would have to replan things to set it up so my kids can get back to school after the first weekend.

BSPycc79

bspycc79
09-22-2012, 10:14
Not meaning to hi-jack your straight-forward thread, but where's your exchange student from? What program?

My family and I have hosted a dozen high school exchange students over the years and I've taken several of them backpacking on the AT. What great fun and what an experience for them (and me)! Two of our three daughters went overseas themselves, one to Argentina and one to Panama. They loved it so much, both have been back to visit their own host families.

Hard to go wrong in SW Virginia for an AT outing in early October. I imagine you know all about the Grayson Highlands?

Farther up, a stop at the Wood's Hole Hostel would be amazing for your crew (was for mine). And the ridgeline views on that stretch are quite wonderful south of Pearisburg. You'd also get to hike past Dismal Falls, not a bad stop.

Have a great hike!

Rain Man

Hi-jack away, RainMan!

We're a serial host family with the CIEE High School program, and current kid is our 7th and from Serbia. Not all of them have been backpackers, but most hiked with me and all made it SNP/BRP. Are you hosting this year?

Haven't done the Highlands yet; I'm about 220 miles into my goal of doing all 540 mi in VA/WV, so I will definitely get there. Have slackpacked out of Woods Hole, Neville is awesome! But, I'm done that section and moving on!

Have a great day!
BSPycc79

JJJ
09-22-2012, 14:40
JJJ,

No, I haven't done the Highlands yet, and would consider these options if you want to join up. Honestly, would love to do Damascus to Groseclose and then decide if I can power through to Bland and still get back to work before I run out of vacation days. Let me know if you are seriously interested, because I would have to replan things to set it up so my kids can get back to school after the first weekend.

BSPycc79

I wouldn't change any plans for me, but it is a tempting offer :D A day or three could be fun too.
Thanks

bspycc79
09-24-2012, 01:13
I wouldn't change any plans for me, but it is a tempting offer :D A day or three could be fun too.
Thanks

We don't have a complete specific plan yet, so don't mind changing now (need to lock it down by this Saturday, though, as I have to coordinate with the Mrs on picking up kids etc). Actually, starting in Damascus is looking better, because then we can slackpack while the kids are there and not have to solve for a 3rd full set of gear.

PM if you decide you want to do "a day or three".

BSPycc79

Rain Man
09-24-2012, 15:35
We're a serial host family with the CIEE High School program, and current kid is our 7th and from Serbia. Not all of them have been backpackers, but most hiked with me and all made it SNP/BRP. Are you hosting this year?

No, not hosting this year. We were a "serial" host family and volunteers with AFS. We hosted 9 year students with AFS, and 3 others with another program (or privately) for summers. Countries include, France, Spain, Italy, Thailand, Argentina, Denmark, Belarus, Bolivia, Azerbaijan, and Egypt.

Rain Man