PDA

View Full Version : Pack Advice

Danielle K
09-22-2012, 11:51
Hey,

I have a Gregory Arreba pack. It is 2400 cu. in. I can fit all of my gear in there, but (including food and water) it is around 25-30 pounds. The bag is supposed to be comfortable at 25 lbs or less. I don't want to wish I had more space....Anyone have advice on pack size, weight carried, etc. for a thru hike? Should I invest in a bigger bag?

Thanks!

jeffmeh
09-22-2012, 12:27
How uncomfortable is it if you overload it at 30 lbs.? If it is comfortable at that weight and that will accommodate all of your gear and food then go for it. Will it really accommodate everything if you are packed for cold weather that you might experience either early or late on your thru hike? Personally, I think 2400 cu. in. is too limiting, but if you can make it work that's great.

You can certainly get a larger pack that is lighter. Check out http://www.ula-equipment.com/packoverview.asp. Excellent packs for a thru-hike.

ParkRat09
09-22-2012, 21:03
To be honest you're prob OK with 30lbs in the pack but it's def not ideal since they're website does say 25lbs. I sell lots of Gregory packs at my store and I recommend people do not exceed the limits Gregory puts out there. Also, I have not thru-hiked before (starting one this March tho) but I would say 2400 is small. I have backpacked with a ULA Circuit for over a year and have really loved it and find it's 4200 ci very useful. Another 1800ci in this case would not add much actual weight to a pack itself but it's soooo much better to have a little extra room than not enough! IMHO I'd recommend something bigger, but like I said I've never thru hiked before

Wise Old Owl
09-22-2012, 21:34
I got a better Idea - sit down and spread it out - take a pic and post a pack list right here. You might be right were you need to be....

Papa D
09-22-2012, 21:39
Rarely does a thru-hiker carry a 30 pound pack these days - unless he or she is just walking out of town with a 6 pack to the next shelter. You should assume that you will likely drop some
unnecessary gear in the first few weeks - even having prepared and honed your stuff down pretty well.
My standard 3 season rig is right at 26 pounds with full water and food - - I think that would be more or less average.
Your pack is likely fine (though I recollect Gregory Packs being on the heavy side with lots of unnecessary pockets and straps)
but why not do what WOO says, spread it out, photo, and post.

bigcranky
09-22-2012, 22:13
The Arreba is a frameless ruck made of silnylon, right? I think I remember it - it's a women's version of an adventure racing pack, if I recall correctly. Nice little pack for its intended purpose, and it would work for a serious ultralight hiker with a base weight in the 8-10 pound range.

If you are at 25-30 now, in my personal opinion that's pushing it. There will be some sections where you'll want or need more food, or to carry more water, and that'll put you well over the recommended weight. (Note that it's not just comfort, but the pack can physically come apart after a while.) My personal preference is to have some extra room in the pack for that purpose.

If you love the pack, and you can get your base weight down, great. If you love your other gear more, maybe something like a Circuit would be a better choice. That will handle 30+ pounds as needed.

Feral Bill
09-22-2012, 22:21
There should still be some hiking weather where you are. Try it for a weekend fully loaded and you'll have a better idea.

swjohnsey
09-22-2012, 22:23
I don't think you can do it with a 2400 ci pack.

Danielle K
09-23-2012, 11:13
17541Thanks for all of the responses!

Obviously I don't quite have all of my gear yet. I am not hiking alone, so I only have to carry half the tent, stove but not cook pots, etc. I supplemented for the gear I don't have yet by test packing my bag with all the gear I have plus a few of books, an extra sleeping pad, my hiking boots, and a couple weeks worth of food and water. I got it all to fit with room to spare, I just don't want the pack to have more weight than it is meant to carry. From the responses, I probably will go ahead and get a bigger bag.

I have, from left to right:

North Face 40 degree Allegheny Sleeping Bag (I'm going to buy a warmer one also)
Stoic LTWT Sleeping Pad-Short
Mountainsmith Pinnacle Trekking Poles
Gregory Arreba 2400 cu. in. Pack
Nike Running shorts, Nike long sleeve base layer, Short sleeve base layer
North Face Wind Pants
Three pairs wool socks
Coleman Max Stove
Fuel Canister
Energizer Head Lamp
Lighter
Patagonia Women's Ultralight Down Shirt
Stoic Titanium Spork
Toiletries, Mini First Aid Kit
North Face TKA 100 Glacier Quarter-Zip Fleece
North Face Venture Rain Jacket
Merrell Moab Mid Boots

Also bringing:
CRKT Carson Flip Single Blade Knife
Water Treatment Drops
Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 Camera
Half of Tent
Map/Compass/Small Notebook

Old Hiker
09-23-2012, 11:25
Careful with the Coleman stove - I bought several (on sale - $2.50 - yes, $2.50 - Wally clearance) and some canisters won't work. The stove won't push down on just a few of the canisters. Others of the same brand canister worked with no probs. I was glad I had my Pocket Rocket - I've had no probles with canisters, just one Coleman brand canister not sealing after the first burn and going flat later.

Maddog
09-23-2012, 11:36
+1 for ULA!!! Maddog:D

T-Rx
09-23-2012, 12:04
+1 for ULA!!! Maddog:D

Ditto! I really like my ULA. Great packs.

cabbagehead
09-23-2012, 12:20
I had a defective Gregory Z that broke quickly. I got a full refund. I don't know if that helps.

bear bag hanger
09-24-2012, 02:25
If you're happy with the 2,400 cu in, but not sure about the 25 lb limitation, I'd recommend the ULA Ohm or Ohm 2.0. I think the Ohm 2.0 has interchangeable hip belts, which might come in handy toward the end of your hike as your waist get smaller. Doesn't look like you'll need the extra space of a Circuit or Catalyst.