PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Costco's $69 Down jacket/sweater?

dla
09-22-2012, 15:42
Anybody use one of these for awhile? I know they started selling them a year ago and they're back in the stores again. User input appreciated.

G.G.
09-22-2012, 16:53
what are the specs?

ezNomad
09-22-2012, 20:33
I bought a light down puffy jacket from Costco, brand called Weatherpoof 32 Degrees, and used it on my thru-hike. It was fine. I have no idea how it compares to more expensive down jackets. But it was light and did the job for me, in conjuction with a light fleece. I only paid about $40-50 so I'm not sure if it's the same one you are talking about.

Wise Old Owl
09-22-2012, 21:08
Really its straight forward, get what you can afford, the finer the loft the more expensive it is...The secret is to trap as much air close to the body and restrict the air from moving - so its important to have the right size, too big is a waste of money too.

I have a $100 LL bean - As part of my kit... under a pound.

leaftye
09-23-2012, 00:31
Anybody use one of these for awhile? I know they started selling them a year ago and they're back in the stores again. User input appreciated.

No they didn't. You may be thinking of the boys jacket that is available again. The $70 jacket that is similar to a Montbell down shirt is brand new.

dla
09-23-2012, 13:23
I bought a light down puffy jacket from Costco, brand called Weatherpoof 32 Degrees, and used it on my thru-hike. It was fine. I have no idea how it compares to more expensive down jackets. But it was light and did the job for me, in conjuction with a light fleece. I only paid about $40-50 so I'm not sure if it's the same one you are talking about.

Thanks for the feedback. This jacket at Costco is a 20d shell, 800(90/10) fill, sewn-through, collared jacket-sweater. 2 exterior, 1 interior pocket. Weighs about 13oz for an XL. I say "jacket/sweater" because I don't think it would be good by itself below the mid-30's F. I was looking at it as part of a layering system for late Fall wandering. It seemed very similar (different insulation) to REI's Revelcloud.

Some of Costco's offerings, (like the Kirkland Merlino wool socks), are pretty good. I was hoping someone on the board might have 1st hand experience. I guess I'll pick one up "and be that person" :)

Snowleopard
09-23-2012, 14:53
Last year there were boy's sized down jackets at Costco. Somebody I hiked with last October had one that we all tried on, I think the largest boy's size. It fit me fine, I'm normally a medium. It was cheaply made but warm. It was definitely warmer than my Patagonia nanopuff pullover. If it's the same as last year's version, it's a bargain.

Ewker
09-23-2012, 15:06
No they didn't. You may be thinking of the boys jacket that is available again. The $70 jacket that is similar to a Montbell down shirt is brand new.

yeah the down jackets are back again this yr and no they aren't a boys jacket. My gf bought one last yr and it served her well. I bought her a better one (golite) a month ago

Ewker
09-23-2012, 15:07
oh btw we were in Costco yesterday

leaftye
09-23-2012, 20:38
yeah the down jackets are back again this yr and no they aren't a boys jacket. My gf bought one last yr and it served her well. I bought her a better one (golite) a month ago

Last year there was the boys jacket that had horizontal wide baffles, and a heavier womens jacket with slimmer slanted baffles. Iirc correctly, the women's jacket was red...I don't remember if other colors were available like they were with the boys jacket.

The boys jacket available last year is available again now, along with the new jacket. I don't know if the women's jacket is available again.

The jacket this thread is about was not available last year. This is the new jacket. If your gf really bought this jacket, then she seems to be the only one here and on BPL that took advantage of a great price on a good jacket, and no one even bothered to start a thread about it even though multiple threads were started on both forums about the jackets I said were sold last year, at least on BPL. I don't want to start a fight, but I find that implausible. I wish it were true and could be solidly confirmed because then we'd have a source for a long term review.

Here's where I got the picture above.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=68095

Feral Bill
09-23-2012, 23:34
I was at Costco and tried one on today. It did not fit me well but looked like a great jacket for the price.

Ewker
09-24-2012, 09:28
Last year there was the boys jacket that had horizontal wide baffles, and a heavier womens jacket with slimmer slanted baffles. Iirc correctly, the women's jacket was red...I don't remember if other colors were available like they were with the boys jacket.

The boys jacket available last year is available again now, along with the new jacket. I don't know if the women's jacket is available again.

The jacket this thread is about was not available last year. This is the new jacket. If your gf really bought this jacket, then she seems to be the only one here and on BPL that took advantage of a great price on a good jacket, and no one even bothered to start a thread about it even though multiple threads were started on both forums about the jackets I said were sold last year, at least on BPL. I don't want to start a fight, but I find that implausible. I wish it were true and could be solidly confirmed because then we'd have a source for a long term review.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=68095

the jacket she got last yr was black and looks like the one in your picture. These same jackets are back along with some that have wide baffles. they may vary per store

Mags
09-24-2012, 10:10
I bought one the other day. Still a tad warm out to give it a good review. But the construction looks solid, the jacket seems warm and it seems comparable in design and quality to a Patagonia or Montbell down "sweater" Like the brand name jackets, this jacket is 90/10 goose down/feathers. The tag claimed it was 800 fill IIRC.

We'll see.

I will say my Costco softshell that I paid $25 has proven to be a rock solid performer for around town FWIW.

dla
09-25-2012, 13:29
I bought one the other day. Still a tad warm out to give it a good review. But the construction looks solid, the jacket seems warm and it seems comparable in design and quality to a Patagonia or Montbell down "sweater" Like the brand name jackets, this jacket is 90/10 goose down/feathers. The tag claimed it was 800 fill IIRC.

We'll see.

I will say my Costco softshell that I paid $25 has proven to be a rock solid performer for around town FWIW.

I believe that 90/10 is norm for down.

max patch
09-25-2012, 18:28
I saw it yesterday and it certainly didn't look "puffy" at all. Is that a concern?

dla
09-26-2012, 00:33
I saw it yesterday and it certainly didn't look "puffy" at all. Is that a concern?

No, unless you're looking for a winter coat for deep cold. This is a very light down jacket. I think it is a very good layering solution for the $.

mediauras
09-27-2012, 16:43
For a little more you can get this jacket. A great deal in my opinion.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=127&p_id=2301127

jeffmeh
09-28-2012, 12:50

Wow. Great deal indeed.

SC Hills
09-30-2012, 23:03

That also looks alot like one i saw at Academy sports yesterday for 69.00.

leaftye
09-30-2012, 23:43

It might be the same jacket as many Costco products are often re-branded.

tenbeer
10-01-2012, 12:18
does anybody have an online link

mister krabs
10-01-2012, 13:44

Looks like the acadamy one is synthetic http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_603036_-1?color=Black&N=628476071

Mags
10-01-2012, 14:18
I believe that 90/10 is norm for down.

Yep. As I said, the name brand jackets do it too.

Mags
10-01-2012, 14:20

If you are XL or XXL. :)

max patch
10-01-2012, 15:18
Does jacket make sense if you plan on carrrying fleece anyway?

Mags
10-01-2012, 15:32
Does jacket make sense if you plan on carrrying fleece anyway?

Think of it as down Thermawrap as opposed to a winter jacket. Roughly equivalent to a ~250wt fleece (if a 250 wt fleece existed. The jacket seems warmer than a 200wt fleece, but not quite a 300 wt fleece). All conjecture mind you...but that's my instinct fwiw.

Personally, I would not use this type of jacket on the AT...but YMMV.

mamamiapdx
10-11-2012, 22:55
I checked them at my local Costco, they are well made but no hood. I still think with Costco warranty and return policy they are worth giving a try.

Half Note
10-18-2012, 13:52
GoLite has a sale going on right now - 50% off. Take advantage.

http://www.golite.com/insulation

malowitz
10-18-2012, 20:46
Here is another limited time deal. Merrell Thermadore for $80

www.6pm.com/merrell-thermadore-amazon?zlfid=72

druss15
10-19-2012, 23:25
They are nice jackets. Similar to a Patagucci down sweater.

leaftye
10-20-2012, 00:18
does anybody have an online link

Grey (http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature%E2%84%A2-Dark-Steel-Grey-Men's-Down-Jacket.product.100000064.html)

Black (http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature%E2%84%A2-Black-Men's-Down-Jacket.product.100000281.html)

SC Hills
10-31-2012, 11:07
Looks like the acadamy one is synthetic http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_603036_-1?color=Black&N=628476071
The one in the store was down and the one in that link says 100% down fill,just not how much fill.

max patch
07-30-2013, 12:19
Costco is currently selling a down vest for $25.

Sailing_Faith
07-30-2013, 13:18

Yea, but what kind of down? Frog down? :)

How can you even pluck a chicken for that price?

Ktaadn
07-30-2013, 14:36
Yea, but what kind of down? Frog down? :)

How can you even pluck a chicken for that price?

Down, like leather, is just a byproduct of the food industry. In theory, they should pay us to take away their trash.

100MileBill
07-30-2013, 15:30

I bought one yesterday. The down in the vest is 550 fill power and is duck down. Having said that the vest if very lightweight, comfortable, and very packable (about the size of an orange). Looking forward to some cooler weather to give it a try, but for $25 it's hard to go wrong. This should be just the thing to pull on when I get into camp on a cool day after sweating while hiking.

leaftye
07-30-2013, 19:28
Down, like leather, is just a byproduct of the food industry. In theory, they should pay us to take away their trash.

Maybe most duck down. I'm pretty sure most goose down is plucked from live geese.

Mrs Baggins
07-31-2013, 05:40
Well, now I have to go to Costco today! Thanks for the heads up!

locknload
12-26-2013, 14:31
I know this is an old thread but I bought the Kirkland down jacket from the Springfield, VA Costco a couple weeks ago for $40. At the time they had around 170 in stock. I have a Patagonia Down Sweater but wanted another "beater" down jacket that would be around sharp sticks and embers. Now having both I can say the construction is very similar. The shell on the Kirkland feels a little more stout but is also a bit louder, the Patagonia feels softer but also feels like it would tear easier on a branch. Besides the inner pocket on the Kirland NOT having a 2-way zipper to seal the jacket once stuffed inside, the biggest difference between the two is holding them up to the sun or a bright light. Light leaks through the kirkland's baffles but none through the patagonia. They both boast a 90/10 down to feather ratio, patagonia stating European goose down and the Kirkland stating Hungarian goose down. 90/10 is standard on higher end jackets. While I love my Patagonia, at $40 the Kirkland is a steal and will get a lot of use in the woods with me.

Dogwood
12-26-2013, 15:33
On the BPL thread a couple of reviewers compared a similiar First Ascent down jacket to the Kirkland model being sold at Costco. I've looked at both. I agree with them. The First Ascent overall looked better but you could also look at it as Locknload does. Good deal on the Costco 800? down jackets for penny pinchers on a budget and certainly usable, especially if not a gram weenie. I suspect some fudging is ocurring on the technical specs with the down apparel being sold at places like Costco, JCPenney, Sears, and Walmart. I noticed much the same about the three pricier higher fill(800 +) power down jackets/vests I've seen being sold at Costco over the past 1.5 yrs or so and they seem a bit under stuffed. I'll also take the approach there are design, quality, construction details, etc that sometimes get ignored in a down product being sold at places like Costco, JCPenney, Sears, and Walmart because we can get so enamored with the lower price compared to say main stream outdoour gear companies that do research and development from the ground up like Patagonia, MontBell, Western Mountaineering, ArcTeryx(they sell them at some Costcos!) Mountain Hardware, etc. That's not to say purchases at Costco, JCPenney, Sears, and Walmart can't be good bargains and provide a backpacker with what they need.

Here's the way I look at it. Lots of knock offs out there FLOODING the U.S. market. Lots of imitators. LOTS OF IT COMING FROM CHINA. There are reasons that might not seem readily apparent in why something is lower priced when purchased at places like Costco, JCPenney, Sears, and Walmart.

4eyedbuzzard
12-26-2013, 16:32
Most of the high end manufacturers you mentioned, except WM, manufacture a lot of their products in China, for obvious economic reasons. There is a wide range in quality of products being manufactured in China. Some of it is top notch name brand stuff, and you won't find it at bargain prices just because it's made in China. But it all does come down to buyer beware. That said there are many low priced alternatives to high priced hiking gear that perform just fine. Synthetic base layers are a prime example. There just isn't a lot of difference performance wise between a $35 pair of patagonia and $7 Walmart brand polyester long johns.

But I'd venture to say there are probably as many people who get enamored with brand names though as there are who get enamored with low prices.

ATL Backpacker
01-12-2014, 20:32
I bought a kirkland signature ADULT size XL last year and I've been very pleased with the warmth for the weight and price.. Says 90% Hungarian goose down, 10% feather. Paid $79 I think.

I have been a vendor to Costco for 15+ years and I trust their Kirkland signature items as much if not more than any other national brands. Their buyers are very shrewed and usually well-versed on the categories they are buying for. It's my experience they don't like to put cheap crappy products in their buildings.

Most recently I spent 45 minutes in the jacket in 14 degrees with only a cotton t shirt underneath. (I was thawing out the drain line for my furnace after it froze and the furnace cut off). I Was plenty warm. Also used it around the campsite in conjunction with a lightweight base layer and thin fleece in ~20 degree temps for 5-6 hours and been fine.

Hope that helps