PDA

View Full Version : Food List Review

Turk6177
09-23-2012, 09:46
Can you take a look at my food list and see what you think? I am more interested in your opinion about the amount and weight of my food as opposed to the flavor selection or preference. I am hiking the GA section next week. I am planning 3 days to get to Neels gap and then resupplying with 4 days of similar food from a box I am mailing there. I am 5'10" around 220 lbs. if that figures in to how much I eat.

Breakfast: 1 pop tarts packet (2 pastries), 2 instant oatmeal packets, 2 swiss miss packets and an instant coffee single serving packet. (x 3 days)

Lunch: Day 1: 2 single serving spam on a tortilla with miracle whip packet; Day 2: 2 single serving tuna packets on a tortilla with miracle whip packet; Day 3: two Jiff To Go single serving peanut butters on a tortilla with some KFC honey packets and a little GORP sprinkled on it.

Dinner: Freezer bag meal containing one crushed up ramen noodle, and two single serving instant mac-n-cheese with either a spam packet or tuna packet for meat. (x4 days-one extra ration just in case)

Snacks: GORP (Homemade GORP containing peanuts, cashews, raisins, dried blueberries, dried cranberries and mnm's) 10 ounces per day. (x 3 days)
Skittles 52g (x 3 days)

Does this seem about right or am I a little heavy on the GORP? My 3 day supply of food weighs around 6 lbs. I am about to mail my resupply box, so I appreciate any opinions you might have with this. Thanks in advance for your help.

Rasty
09-23-2012, 10:18
Can you take a look at my food list and see what you think? I am more interested in your opinion about the amount and weight of my food as opposed to the flavor selection or preference. I am hiking the GA section next week. I am planning 3 days to get to Neels gap and then resupplying with 4 days of similar food from a box I am mailing there. I am 5'10" around 220 lbs. if that figures in to how much I eat.

Breakfast: 1 pop tarts packet (2 pastries), 2 instant oatmeal packets, 2 swiss miss packets and an instant coffee single serving packet. (x 3 days)

Lunch: Day 1: 2 single serving spam on a tortilla with miracle whip packet; Day 2: 2 single serving tuna packets on a tortilla with miracle whip packet; Day 3: two Jiff To Go single serving peanut butters on a tortilla with some KFC honey packets and a little GORP sprinkled on it.

Dinner: Freezer bag meal containing one crushed up ramen noodle, and two single serving instant mac-n-cheese with either a spam packet or tuna packet for meat. (x4 days-one extra ration just in case)

Snacks: GORP (Homemade GORP containing peanuts, cashews, raisins, dried blueberries, dried cranberries and mnm's) 10 ounces per day. (x 3 days)
Skittles 52g (x 3 days)

Does this seem about right or am I a little heavy on the GORP? My 3 day supply of food weighs around 6 lbs. I am about to mail my resupply box, so I appreciate any opinions you might have with this. Thanks in advance for your help.

2# Per day is about right. I find that the first two day's my appetite decreases but I still take the food anyway. After a four day trip I always have at least a full day's meals still in my pack.