PDA

View Full Version : Essay in Parade Magazine

Odd Man Out
09-23-2012, 09:53
If you get Parade Magazine with your Sunday newspaper, there is a cute essay about a man who takes his young son out for an overnight backpacking trip. Check it out.

moytoy
09-23-2012, 11:10
or here...http://www.parade.com/news/views/guest/120923-andrew-mccarthy-into-the-woods.html

Odd Man Out
09-23-2012, 11:52
Thanks for the link - you got to love a seven year old who likes sardines and M&M's for breakfast, once again proving that everything tastes better when camping.

T-Rx
09-23-2012, 12:01
Thanks for the link Moytoy. Great story. By the way I see you are in Titusville, Fla. I have both a brother and a son living there and my wife and I visit as often as possible. Have a great day!

HikerMom58
09-23-2012, 13:03
Awesome! Thanks for sharing this!! :)

moytoy
09-24-2012, 22:08
Thanks for the link Moytoy. Great story. By the way I see you are in Titusville, Fla. I have both a brother and a son living there and my wife and I visit as often as possible. Have a great day!

Next time your down send a PM and maybe we can do a loop one morning.

T-Rx
09-24-2012, 22:50
Next time your down send a PM and maybe we can do a loop one morning.

I'll do that Moytoy. Where do you do your hiking in that area?

moytoy
09-25-2012, 03:43
Depends on how much hiking I'm doing. I'm only in Titusville on the weekends. Durning the week I'm in Ocala, Gainesville, Jacksonville, etc.
The FT goes through Christmas only about 15 miles from Titusville but for a short loop and day hike a short drive out to The Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge will get us on a trail. The Black Point drive has a 5 mile hiking loop that I sometimes will do twice early in the morning for some exercise. You can also drive out to Playalinda Beach and hike north to New Smyrna beach. 12 miles of total natural beach. No cars, no buildings, and no people. You can hike inside the dune or outside the dune (on the beach). But once you've commited to one or the other there is no change. The dune can't be crossed.

I look forward to hearing from you.