PDA

View Full Version : Anyone every use one of these... www.theumbrellahat.com

Big Dawg
05-08-2005, 16:34
Seems pretty cool,,, I'm calling this co. tomorrow to confirm weight of these umbrella hats. Just checking to see if any other Whiteblazers have used one. This definately wouldn't work for someone that has a pack rising at or above the back of their head,,,, mine doesn't, so this would seem to work well if light enough. I love my trekking poles & don't want to give them up by holding an umbrella, as Ray Jardine suggests in his book, Beyond Backpacking. Any feedback welcomed, Thanks!! :D www.theumbrellahat.com (http://www.theumbrellahat.com)

Moon Monster
05-08-2005, 21:34
I Googled this to find better photos--like of people actually wearing them. I turned up a lot of novelty knock-offs (even your url says their version is a "novelty"), which very possibly would not even be waterproof. But, my biggest beef is that they don't look like they'd even cover all of your shoulders, so they're not much better coverage than a sombrero style nylon hat, and certainly would not sub for a packcover.

Otherwise, if its manufacturer was serious, then I like the idea of such a product.

Tha Wookie
05-08-2005, 22:20
Wouldn't work in a storm. Rain rarely somes in straight down. Holding an umbrella in your hand lets you angle it into the wind. I use mine sideways very often.

MedicineMan
05-08-2005, 22:39
http://www.kavu.com/index.php?SCREEN=item&department=4&item=580&clog=OTdnYWpsdHI3ZA==

the inside is foam and therefore insulation, used not only as a rain hat but also sit pad, kidney pad in hammock, floats....i'm trying to think of a way to use it also as a pot cozy

crossing the james river footbridge there had been a boating accident and drowning and one of the policemen there called it a vietcong hat :(

Nean
05-08-2005, 23:33
This hat came up in a thread a few weeks back. Hiking compadre Foxtrot wore one on the PCT. Worked well for shade but did not fare well in the wind and rain.

MedicineMan
05-08-2005, 23:42
the point about rain...mine has done very well in rain,,,,,but def. agree with poor porformance in wind, but that might be true with a lot of hats with brims that wide...also if you know shade is the priority (i also use mine while paddling) then choose a light color. I chose black knowing i was going to use it as a sit pad often.

Pencil Pusher
05-08-2005, 23:51
I think DWM would do well to have one of these whilst sport juggling:D

peter_pan
05-09-2005, 14:41
I have one of these and it has been about 1000 miles on the AT.... It is reasonably comfortable... Mine weighs 3.6 oz...I find it very practical...yes it is too small to cover the shouldeds or pack....But, it does do well over the head, face, back of the neck, neck area that meets the pack...it handles light wind ok...It really keeps the glasses dry....In warm weather I often just use it to keep the head dry and let the rain wash and cool the body...it is waterproof....it allows me to use hiking poles...it does not restrict sound as a hood does...nor is it restrictive to head movement as a hood can be....I often use it as a bowl when pulling out food items when whatever I'm searching for is on the bottom of the food bag.... it has been used as a cover over an item on the table to keep the flies off...it is good for an occasional laugh, which is always fun.

Pan

Dances with Mice
05-09-2005, 15:03
I have one of these and it has been about 1000 miles on the AT.... It is reasonably comfortable... Mine weighs 3.6 oz...I find it very practical...yes it is too small to cover the shouldeds or pack....But, it does do well over the head, face, back of the neck, neck area that meets the pack...it handles light wind ok...It really keeps the glasses dry....In warm weather I often just use it to keep the head dry and let the rain wash and cool the body...it is waterproof....it allows me to use hiking poles...it does not restrict sound as a hood does...nor is it restrictive to head movement as a hood can be....I often use it as a bowl when pulling out food items when whatever I'm searching for is on the bottom of the food bag.... it has been used as a cover over an item on the table to keep the flies off...it is good for an occasional laugh, which is always fun.Pan

Sounds like: http://www.villagehatshop.com/falcon.html

Does all the above, except maybe that part about the bowl thing, and I guess it is even good for the occasional laugh...