PDA

View Full Version : Asics trail runner ??

Drybones
09-24-2012, 08:43
Does anyone have experience with the Asics trail running shoe? I tried a pair on this w/e and believe they may help with knee issues, they have the most cushioning I've seen in the heel.

Spokes
09-24-2012, 09:23
Asics 21XX has been my preferred running shoe for decades. I've also had good luck with the 2170 trail shoe on extended hikes.

Matching the shoe to your pronation type helps as does tweaking the volume fit with appropriate insoles.

Running stores know pronation types but outfitters are prolly more knowledgeable about insoles for hiking.

Driver8
09-24-2012, 11:32
As to heel cushioning, consider altering your stride landing from the heel toward the ball. I've read a lot that suggest this helps, have done so myself with good results.

Ender
09-24-2012, 11:35
As to heel cushioning, consider altering your stride landing from the heel toward the ball. I've read a lot that suggest this helps, have done so myself with good results.

I'll ditto this. I used to have major knee issues when running. I switched to this style using normal running shoes and immediately noticed improvement. Then I switched over to the Vibram Five Fingers barefoot shoes, and immediately my knee issues were completely gone. Never had a knee issue since then. I did have other (smaller) issues pop up that first year, mainly shin splints, but once I started doing the proper shin exercises the following season I never had shin splints again.

Driver8
09-24-2012, 14:00
I'll ditto this. I used to have major knee issues when running. I switched to this style using normal running shoes and immediately noticed improvement. Then I switched over to the Vibram Five Fingers barefoot shoes, and immediately my knee issues were completely gone. Never had a knee issue since then. I did have other (smaller) issues pop up that first year, mainly shin splints, but once I started doing the proper shin exercises the following season I never had shin splints again.

Yeah, I think it's more about the foot landing than what covers the foot. Supposedly, as you're probably aware, Ender, the ideal foot landing sequence is outerball first, rolling to inner ball, then arch and heel. I made a conscious effort to re-engineer my foot landings after developing PF. Took a while for the fascitis pain to disappear - in fact, took two months away from hiking last winter, during which time I hit the gym a lot - but once it departed, it hasn't come back. Feet are still sore after a good long hike, as is most of the rest of my body, but PF, happy to say, is long gone.

hikerboy57
09-24-2012, 14:13
how do you handle the foot landing things when your hiking on rocks and roots.

Ender
09-24-2012, 14:55
Well, I don't hike in them, but I do run in them. So for hiking I couldn't say exactly. For running though, the Vibram FF's provide enough protection where you won't get cut or anything. I run on trail the same way I'd run on tarmac.

Driver8
09-24-2012, 17:04
how do you handle the foot landing things when your hiking on rocks and roots.

I make a point, where I can, to land my feet as noted. But you can't always do that on rocky, rooty, uneven terrain. As long as you land them that way most of the time, and ball landings in particular are the exception, it should work well, based on what I've read and on my on experience, for what those are worth. Works for me, at least. :)

Driver8
09-24-2012, 17:06
and ball landings in particular are the exception ...

Argh. Heel landings are the exception, meant to say. My dyslexic agnosticism rearing its head. :D