PDA

View Full Version : Fall wx question -Hanging noob

drbone
09-24-2012, 08:59
New to hanging so be nice ;-). Starting a section quest in Oct. Ga first . Decided to ditch my tent and went Hennessy, my Bro in law (Tim) liked my idea and did the same. I use a 15 deg down bag and he has a 0 deg. More bag than I would use for a tent but I thought it would be a better idea. Now I am concerned that it won't be warm enough. I expect 30-40 deg nights so,:confused: will this do or do I need under help. I have an emerg blaket I thought I could use under my bag, however I am concerned about condensation. I don't want to freeze Tim out as it would cause strain at family gatherings:D. Remember, hanging noob, so use single technical syllables, Thanks in advance.

T-Rx
09-24-2012, 09:36
drbone,
insulation under you is just as important as insulation on top of you. I would recommend a closed cell foam pad of the Walmart variety as one option. The more expensive option is an underquilt. My personal experience is that an underquilt literally revolutionized my comfort level in my hammock. It cost more but worth every penny IMO. I would think the 15 degree bag should be fine with adequate under insulation. I also suggest you go to hammock forums.com, watch Shug's videos on YouTube and if possible read the book "The Ultimate Hang". A lot of great information in all of these resources. Best of luck and have a great hike.

HikerMom58
09-24-2012, 09:49
I agree 100% with T-Rx, my hubby also has a Hennessy & was a lil chilly without the underquilt, in the summer. It's worth every penny. T-Rx... what underquilt did you purchase for your hammock?

chiefduffy
09-24-2012, 09:56
I use a small Z-lite pad in my hammock, with wings for my shoulders and knees...makes a huge difference. A large reflectix type automotive windshield shade will work, too. If not a pad, you will need an underquilt. A sleeping bag alone won't cut it in a hammock, trust me on this...

rhjanes
09-24-2012, 10:05
The cheap solution is that Blue Closed Cell Foam pad (CCF) from wal-Mart. They are cheap. Rolls up. Make sure it is the closed cell. They are stiffer but will not absorb water. You can roll it up and strap it outside a pack and it will be fine. Get a compression strap to hold it rolled up.

The next option up is a Therma-rest blow up pad. Trick with that is to only let it about half inflate. Both these go under you.
A LOT of heat loss in a hammock is thru the back area (Cold Butt Syndrom - CBS).
The next step up is a 3/4 under quilt or even a full under quilt. These will attach UNDER the hammock, but up against you. The neat thing is that your weight will not be compressing it, which defeats the insulating properties.

I was hanging in Arkansas by a river. Night time temps dropped to 60 around midnight. I'd NOT deployed my Under Quilt (UQ) and was cold! So I had to get up to attach it and then was very comfortable. I went from my top quilt (TQ) all around me and I was cold, to with the UQ deployed, so warm that I half took off the TQ and just had a silk liner! By dawn, the temp was around 50 and 100 percent humidity. I was warm and didn't want to get up.
SO, if you get into the comfort of a hammock, you will eventually want a UQ. They do come up for sale at some of the cottage sites and also on Hammock.forums. I bought both of mine (a 3/4, 3 season UQ and also a full length winter 0 degree UQ, and two different top quilts) used and love them.

Another item I like. I got a therma-rest SIT pad. Blows up. It is nice to have to sit on. But also you can put it under your legs when you have just a 3/4 UQ with you. It will provide a lot of insulation.

drbone
09-24-2012, 11:16
I have a mil-spec self inflating pad. Thought it might be too narrow and a tad heavy. But it may be the deal, since it's free. I will look at the blue cell Walmart pad. Is the emergency blanket useful in these apps? Also, condensation issues with any of the aforementioned?

Feral Bill
09-24-2012, 11:22
I have used a 3/8" blue foam in 40 degree weather and slept like a baby (the good kind). I'm looking into an underquilt for colder weather.

drbone
09-24-2012, 11:37
I have used a 3/8" blue foam in 40 degree weather and slept like a baby (the good kind). I'm looking into an underquilt for colder weather.
No condensation issues?

kayak karl
09-24-2012, 13:13
No condensation issues?
no condensation for me. i've taken a wal-mart blue pad down to 30 with out a problem. i use underquilts now. below freezing i would recomend quilts. have had my JRB mt. washington 4 down to -5. my te-wa winter coat 2/3 quilt down to 10.

Feral Bill
09-24-2012, 15:27
No condensation issues? No, not a bit.

T-Rx
09-24-2012, 15:50
I agree 100% with T-Rx, my hubby also has a Hennessy & was a lil chilly without the underquilt, in the summer. It's worth every penny. T-Rx... what underquilt did you purchase for your hammock?

HikerMomKD,
I have the JRB old rag mountain model both for a top quilt and an underquilt. They fit well and are easy to use with my WBBB hammock. I am typically a cold sleeper and these have served me very well thus far. And like your hubby I use my underquilt even in the summer time even when I only use my silk bag liner for top coverage.

HikerMom58
09-24-2012, 16:44
HikerMomKD,
I have the JRB old rag mountain model both for a top quilt and an underquilt. They fit well and are easy to use with my WBBB hammock. I am typically a cold sleeper and these have served me very well thus far. And like your hubby I use my underquilt even in the summer time even when I only use my silk bag liner for top coverage.

Thanks my friend..I was JW what u used. :)

drbone
09-26-2012, 17:12
Thanks to all who posted. I be learnin woohoo

Theosus
10-05-2012, 10:31
I've used a. Nothing, b. a thermarest, and c. An underquilt. All in combination with a 20degree synthetic north face bag.
A. Nothing: temps down to 40. Froze my back off. Shivered all night, even with all my clothes on and stuff shoved under me like my rain pants.
B. thermarest pad: temps down to upper 40s, with some wind and mist/rain all night. Sweated to death on my back. Cool on top. Wound up in sleeping bag with it open, with lightweight fleece "liner" covering me.
C. Underquilt (made the KAQ underquilt on hammockforums): Best sleep yet. Temps to mid 40s. Slept in bag with it mostly zipped except around head. Used my thin fleece liner I made from a texsport "sleeping bag". Cool on my butt for a little bit until the UQ dead air space warmed up. UQ cost me about $120 in materials and four days to make. It needed a little adjustment on my hammock, it's not really snug enough, but it worked.

*i use my fleece liner thing because I don't like the feel of the taffeta or whatever the north face is made of, on my skin. The fleece just feels nicer, and I'm sure I could push the bag five or ten degrees with it. I usually sleep in underwear with my clothes in the bag with me, so they are warm in the morning, I'm usually not relying on long johns or other clothes for insulation.

scope
10-15-2012, 14:19
Reference for other noobs, the hammock is not the equivalent of the pad in a tent. Shows lack of understanding of tenting. Insulation always has a top and bottom element to it no matter if its tent or hammock.