PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and the Smokie's

starbright
09-25-2012, 04:54
What do people do that have dogs when they get to the Smokie Mountains. Everything I have read says that I can't take my dog through there. Need advice on what to do when we get there. Also the backcountry permits do they have to be purchased per person. Does anyone know how much they are and are they required.

kayak karl
09-25-2012, 08:31
there is a list of places in the guide books where you can board your dog.

yellowsirocco
09-25-2012, 08:38
Just leave your dog at home. I am a super dog lover, but the logistics of long distance hiking is already bad enough for just us humans. I know it is hard to be apart from your best friend though.

Thirsty DPD
09-25-2012, 08:40
just leave your dog at home. I am a super dog lover, but the logistics of long distance hiking is already bad enough for just us humans. I know it is hard to be apart from your best friend though.

hyoh...................................

wornoutboots
09-25-2012, 09:00
there is no costs for permits to hike through the smokies

moldy
09-25-2012, 09:58
Whu not just answer the question?
Standing Bear hostel will keep him at the other end of the park, 423 487 0014,
loving care 865 453 2028
rippling kennels 828 488 2091

If you are hiking this year 2012 there is no fee. This will change in 2013.
you need 2 things: 1 All hikers need a free backcounrty camping permit. They are available from a unmanned box at Fontana Dam or any park visitor center or the outfitter in Hot Springs NC. 2: A free(this year) reservation at the shelters you will stay in while in the park. Available by phoning 865 436 1231. This year at least this reservaton is not needed for thru hikers. The best place to keep up with the latest information on this subject is the park webpage. www.nps.gov/grsm (http://www.nps.gov/grsm)

4dogHiker
09-25-2012, 09:58
wornoutboots, there is a fee now for backcountry permits, $5 per night, per person

moldy
09-25-2012, 10:16
Not according to the NPS web page. The proposed fee was for reservations at backcountry shelters and campsites not back country hiking permits.

HikerMom58
09-25-2012, 11:29
starbright... I just went through the last half of the Smokies the end of July of this year. Just call 865- 436 -1231 #, that moldly put out in his post. It can be frustrating sometimes b/c when you call that # it may take a while to get through. Be prepared to tell them what date you will hiking and what shelters you are planning on staying in. When you call, they will tell you where you can find the permit kiosk, they are found all over the park. They will give you a reservation # too so have a piece of paper and pen ready to write down the #. When you fill out the permit, you don't need to fill out a seperate one for each person, hiking. (I just wrote in the name of my daughter and myself.) You keep one part of the permit with you in your pack. I also wrote down the reservation # on a piece of paper and carried that with me, along with the permit. I'm not a "gram weenie" so I carried the darn pieces of paper.. lol Hope this info helps.

starbright
09-26-2012, 05:52
Thank you Moldy and HikerMomKD I have been looking at different sites and the information is a bit confusing. I would leave my dog behind but no one to leave her with. She is an older dog and with back problems that I have we will probably hike at the same speed. We are planning a thru-hike starting in March of 2013.