PDA

View Full Version : looking for thread about northerners and southerners

DavidNH
05-08-2005, 22:32
There was aninteresting thread in one of the forums about northerners and southerneres in towns along the AT and some of the cultural differences and such. I cant find it now. can anyone help? dont even know what forum it is in.

nhhiker

plodder
05-09-2005, 20:11
You might get a good thread started on cultural differences. More people might give insight if it didn't take 5 pages... Having lived in the south, I found it amusing. Guys discussing the merits of Spam vs Treet, shouting matches about whether one saw snow, etc. People are people, just different. If you ever get a shot at red gravy, or biscuits made with bacon fat, or cornbread made with chicken fat, go for it. I would not want it on a steady basis, but you got to wash that fried Spam down with something. I'll pass on that tea thing.

search: town people (titles)

TDale
05-09-2005, 20:41
"If you ever get a shot at red gravy..."

That's red-eye gravy, you yankee.

:D

neo
05-09-2005, 21:03
i am a rebel from tennessee and my wife is a yankee from new york.the main difference between people in north and south to me is their accents,i have met some mighty fine people on the trail and in towns,both in the north and south
one big big difference in resturants is,in the south you get free drink refills on coffee tea and cold drinks,pennsylvania is the only state up north were ya get free drink refills in some places,outside of that not much diffrence ya have good folks and bad folks were ever ya go,so fer its mostly been good folks:cool: neo

neo
05-09-2005, 21:05
oh yeah,down here its maters and taters,up north tomatoes and potatoes
never seen any grits up north,did eat some scrapples in palmerton pa:cool: neo

DavidNH
05-09-2005, 21:15
Actuallly...I was not trying to start some new thread..I had previously seen a thread about trail towns and people in north and south...but can't find it any more and dont remember the forum.

Something about Pennsylavania not being in the south...:-)

neo
05-09-2005, 21:59
Actuallly...I was not trying to start some new thread..I had previously seen a thread about trail towns and people in north and south...but can't find it any more and dont remember the forum.

Something about Pennsylavania not being in the south...:-)
a lot of guys in pennsylvania drive around in their pick up truck with rebel flags on their trucks, my yankee wife thinks i look sexy in my rebel flag bandana cap:cool: neo

TDale
05-09-2005, 22:14
Let me tell ya...last time we got to PA and ran out of bullets.

Ain't gonna happen again.

Nearly Normal
05-10-2005, 12:03
"The Southerner always tended to believe with his blood rather than his intellect."
"The past is not dead, it isn't even past."

pete

Goon
05-10-2005, 14:08
All I know is that people outside the South talk funny.

Stoker53
05-10-2005, 14:15
There was aninteresting thread in one of the forums about northerners and southerneres in towns along the AT and some of the cultural differences and such. I cant find it now. can anyone help? dont even know what forum it is in.

nhhiker
I think the thread you are looking for is titled "Differences in Town People...."

Stoker53
05-10-2005, 14:16
Trail Towns and Services Forum

jlb2012
05-10-2005, 14:42
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6348 is the thread I think

oyvay
05-10-2005, 22:32
Speaking as a Yankee, forget the North! Go South, young (YAH) man. The people are friendlier and all around less pretentious (yeah, I know there are exceptions no one is perfect) than Northerners. The South rocks in my book!
Remember: A pound of pretentious is worth a pound of manure.

Drum Stick
05-10-2005, 23:37
Does possum fat go in the red-eyed gravy? or is that like a side thing? Yup I must say that the south is a very special place indeed. Take your time through the South, it will be behind you before you know what hit you.
Drum Stick

plodder
05-11-2005, 03:39
"If you ever get a shot at red gravy..."

That's red-eye gravy, you yankee.

My roots show. Amusing, to me, a Yankee plays baseball. Was in Lubbock, Tx and an exec called his aide a Yankee. I think yum, "Where you from?" Oklahoma. No hiding the Northerner thing, but it does help to know who Yarborough is... Seems they ignore you after you nail grits with a fork.

Nean
05-11-2005, 06:59
There are spoon grits and fork grits, but the secret to making 'em right, according to High Pocket @ Woods Hole, is to spank the grits!

Lilred
05-11-2005, 11:53
I'm what some would call a 'damn' yankee. I moved down here from Michigan and stayed. I LOVE the South and will never go back up north. It's true, people are much more friendly down here. Life is taken a bit slower and the food rocks! Even tho I'm a transplanted southerner, I'm southern by heritage. My ancestors came to Tennessee back in the mid-1700's.

TDale
05-11-2005, 12:42
Does possum fat go in the red-eyed gravy? or is that like a side thing? Yup I must say that the south is a very special place indeed. Take your time through the South, it will be behind you before you know what hit you.
Drum Stick
Red-eye gravy IS fat. basically pure fried ham fat.

Drum Stick
05-11-2005, 19:58
Mmmmm, graaaavy (drooling)
Drum Stick

TDale
05-11-2005, 20:02
Do I need to ship you some good ham?

Krispie
05-11-2005, 21:01
I was in NY and nobody knew what sweet tea was. Couldn't find corn bread, fried okra or good biscuits.
On my way back south I had to settle for Sonic. It's also too cold up north.

Drum Stick
05-11-2005, 22:48
Good Ham! Is there another kind? I'll take it!
Move over Buddy Ebson (I think that was Jed's name) Mmmm mmm "Red eyed gravy and possum fat" oooooweee

Red rover red rover, please send it right over. That is mighty nice of you all.
Drum Stick

Drum Stick
05-11-2005, 22:50
Yah! I'll be needing some sweet tea to wash it down with too.
Thanks
Drummy

plodder
05-12-2005, 02:11
OK, I'll bite. What is "spanking your grits?" Is it fun?

Nean
05-12-2005, 07:07
Yeah, it can be. Actually it is a term used when mixin your grits. A good spankin keeps the lumps out...it's all in the wrist! Amount of water determines fork or spoon. A little butter, salt, pepper and hot sauce (if you don't have salsa) and you got-R-did.