PDA

View Full Version : Major Closures on Lake Okeechobee Section

WingedMonkey
09-25-2012, 17:20
While trying to put together my own presentation/comments on the long term changes to the Florida Trail and the plan to use the east side as the official route, came across the following PDF:
http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/Divisions/Operations/Branches/SFOO/DOCS/Notices/LakeOScenicTrail_ClosuresMap_508.pdf

At this time and for the upcoming thru-hiking season, and maybe into at least the next year there are major closures on both sides of the lake.

I don't see how a thru can be done without major road walks.

The east section from Belle Glade to Port Mayaca is closed seven days a week. (part of that section had been closed for about four years already).

The south section from South Bay to Clewiston is only open on weekends.

The west section from Liberty Point/Uncle Joe's Fish Camp to Lakeport is also now closed seven days a week.

For those not familiar, the Florida Trail joins the Lake Okeechobee Scenic Trail (LOST) at the southern end of the lake at Lake Harbor/Miami Canal and at the northern end at Kissimmee River/Buckhead Ridge.

(http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/Divisions/Operations/Branches/SFOO/DOCS/Notices/LakeOScenicTrail_ClosuresMap_508.pdf)

WingedMonkey
09-25-2012, 19:43
At this rate there is more trail closed than open.

pafarmboy
09-25-2012, 20:16
Great. I'm planning a section hike from Loop Road to Okeechobee over Christmas. Was gonna go west, but now might as well go east since that seems to be the official one way that coming down the pike. Please tell me route 715 isn't a high traffic roadway and PLEASE tell me I won't have to march down US441.

fcoulter
09-26-2012, 09:50
I recently drove down the eastern "shore" of Lake Okeechobee. I wouldn't describe any of the roads down there as high traffic. Other than the Orlando area, drivers in Florida tend to avoid anything that isn't near the Atlantic of Gulf of Mexico.

WingedMonkey
09-26-2012, 10:30
I recently drove down the eastern "shore" of Lake Okeechobee. I wouldn't describe any of the roads down there as high traffic. Other than the Orlando area, drivers in Florida tend to avoid anything that isn't near the Atlantic of Gulf of Mexico.

Depends on the farming season. It can be very heavy in tractor trailers carrying sugar cane or molasses or vegetables, or farm equipment.

Winter is harvest season for both cane and most vegetables.

Drybones
09-26-2012, 12:06
At this rate there is more trail closed than open.

Thanks for posting this, I thinking of doing the trail when I'm in the area in the next few weeks but it looks to be a no go.

fcoulter
09-30-2012, 19:18
Depends on the farming season. It can be very heavy in tractor trailers carrying sugar cane or molasses or vegetables, or farm equipment.

Winter is harvest season for both cane and most vegetables.

It was last summer/fall when I drove. So your information is probably more pertinent than mine.

fcoulter
10-04-2012, 08:36
Just had a quick question. What are these closures going to do to this year's Big O Walk?

WingedMonkey
10-04-2012, 10:38
Just had a quick question. What are these closures going to do to this year's Big O Walk?

In the past years, when so much of the east side has been closed, they got permission to go through as a group on that particular day. Which has always been starting day on on a weekend.
The Corps likes the good publicity. I'm sure they will do the same with the west closer this year. Well maybe sure is not the right term.
I've even observed them change the mowing scheduled on he unpaved side to make it look nice and walk nice during the Big O hike.

fcoulter
11-15-2012, 09:08
Information just posted at http://www.floridahikes.com/florida-trail-closures-expand-around-lake-okeechobee. I don't know if this is newer than the above, but Sandra says she'll be posting suggested road walks to avoid the mess.

WingedMonkey
08-10-2013, 11:04
Not many folks using this section of the Florida Trail during the heat of summer and the monsoon season (except crazy me), but since I see some folks making plans so I thought I would update some of the closures and openings.

The section of the Lake Okeechobee Scenic Trail from Moore Haven Lock north to Lakeport was recently re-opened after being closed. It is also now paved, it was rock before.

The portion of trail between John Stretch Park and South Bay is closed, it was open on weekends and holidays before May. The closure will likely remain in effect through most of 2014.
http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/Media/NewsReleases/tabid/6071/Article/13211/corps-closes-portions-of-trail-to-accommodate-dike-repairs.aspx

Things may/will change by the time thru-hiker season starts. I'll be looking for updates.

http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/Portals/44/docs/Recreation/Lake%20Okeechobee%20Scenic%20Trail%20closures%20up date%20Jan%208%202012%20508ER.pdf#page=1&zoom=100,0,540

atmilkman
08-10-2013, 11:17

Sandra Friend is heading up the Big "O" hike this year. She has alternate hikes planned for those days that would normally be taking place around the lake. From what I gather you can still do the road walk if you want. https://www.facebook.com/events/315504315251911/ http://www.meetup.com/Florida-Trail-Association-Loxahatchee-Chapter-PBCounty/events/128090862/?a=ea1_grp&rv=ea1&_af_eid=128090862&_af=event

WingedMonkey
08-10-2013, 11:32
I keep thinking there is a chance they might have the Belle Glade to Port Mayaca section open and re-paved by November. The local news keeps referring to it as finished while covering the protests of the pollution flowing into the Indian River Lagoon.
It could just be wishful thinking on my part. Going to try and get out there Sunday to watch the meteor showers.

The lake is at "flood" stage now and they have all the gates open to the St Lucie to the east and to the Caloosahatchee River to the west.

From the Army Corps Facebook:

The lake level for Friday is 16.04 feet, up 0.01 feet since Thursday. Inflows over the past 24 hours have averaged 13,900 cubic feet per second (cfs) (27,600 acre-feet), while discharges have averaged 11,920 cfs (23,600 acre-feet), resulting in an additional 4,000 acre-feet of water on the lake. What is an acre-foot? The volume of water, 43,560 cubic feet, that will cover an area of one acre to a depth of one foot.

atmilkman
08-10-2013, 11:38
WM, have you seen what the pier looks like at Okeechobee?

WingedMonkey
08-10-2013, 11:44
WM, have you seen what the pier looks like at Okeechobee?

Yes, but I've seen it higher after "the hurricanes". Which is the biggest fear since we haven't had one this summer....yet.

atmilkman
08-10-2013, 12:06
Yes, but I've seen it higher after "the hurricanes". Which is the biggest fear since we haven't had one this summer....yet.

No doubt. They can't get that water out fast enough. Where does it need to be, just under 15ft?

WingedMonkey
08-10-2013, 12:11
The Palm Beach Post did a decent front page story on Lake Okeechobee and the dike conditions in Fridays paper. Long read and some videos if you and Shelly get bored and missing us.
:sun

The dike is among the most at-risk in the country and needs immediate attention, Lt. Col. Thomas Greco said in a 30-minute presentation. A 21.4-mile cutoff wall has been built underground to control seepage in the most vulnerable part of the dike, between Pahokee and Belle Glade. The Corps is now concentrating on replacing 32 aging culverts which “pose a significant risk.” However, water can flow into the lake six times faster than it can be released, Greco said.

Commission members from the sugar industry said little and were met with guffaws when they did. Barbara Miedema, vice president of Florida Sugar Cane Growers Co-op, was heckled when she told the audience: “We feel your pain.” Committee member Bubba Wade, a U.S. Sugar official, drew boos from crowd when he introduced himself.

By contrast, MaryAnn Martin of the Roland Martin Marina in Clewiston drew applause when she commented, “Our flood control really sucks right now.”

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/local-govt-politics/lake-o-flushing-draws-anger-over-estuary-destructi/nZJCC/

atmilkman
08-11-2013, 10:54
The Palm Beach Post did a decent front page story on Lake Okeechobee and the dike conditions in Fridays paper. Long read and some videos if you and Shelly get bored and missing us.
:sun

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/local-govt-politics/lake-o-flushing-draws-anger-over-estuary-destructi/nZJCC/
Lot of interesting info there. It's been quite a while since I've seen water coming out of the spillway like that. I've had to walk in better than waist deep water just to get to the pier before, and I have driven my truck on the dry lake bed hundreds of yards beyond the pier. Poor Lake Okeechobee is one of the most "messed with" with estuaries ever. Still my favorite lake of all time followed by Lake Erie.

WingedMonkey
08-11-2013, 11:35
A 21.4-mile cutoff wall has been built underground to control seepage in the most vulnerable part of the dike, between Pahokee and Belle Glade.

I think the reporter got this part a little off. He should have written that section was from Port Mayaca to Belle Glade.

atmilkman
08-11-2013, 11:56
[COLOR=#000000]

I think the reporter got this part a little off. He should have written that section was from Port Mayaca to Belle Glade.
You're right. That's exactly where it's at. One of my friends told me the are gonna try some sort of "injecting" method of some substance into the hollow parts of the dike to strengthen it.

WingedMonkey
08-11-2013, 12:57
You're right. That's exactly where it's at. One of my friends told me the are gonna try some sort of "injecting" method of some substance into the hollow parts of the dike to strengthen it.

That didn't work. For some reason they got a big surprise (after spending more than a few million) when they found out the dike in that section was mostly sand. If they would have asked any locals about why the only cemetery on the whole east side of the lake is at Mayaca, they might have known it was because it is the only place that has sand.

They have gone back and trenched up to 80 feet deep into the dam and poured a concrete/slurry wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SABUnYQE8Ls

Supposedly, that section between Mayaca to Belle Glade is finished. That's why I'm hoping that they can get the trail reopened by hiking season.

That is the only section that the wall is being done. The other repairs are to all the water control structures (mostly old giant culverts) and seepage control.

Some part of the trail will be closed and under construction until at least 2018.

Pendragon
08-11-2013, 15:21
After having hiked a good section of the A.T., I just can't wrap my head around any of this down here as "hiking" I mean, it's either too hot, submerged, paved over, or just plain ugly. Yes, Gold Head is OK (in late Fall, Winter, or early Spring), but Jennings (right next door to me) is crap. Once my Wife's knee is mended, we plan on trying out some places in the panhandle, (when it cools down) but I think Georgia and points North ruined me for anything local.

Astro
08-11-2013, 15:38
[COLOR=#000000]

Pahokee and Belle Glade, now you are bring back memories of high school bus rides to those places for cross country and wrestling.