PDA

View Full Version : Art Loeb Trail

Papa D
09-25-2012, 19:23
I'm planning on trail running (at least fast walking) the Art Loeb Trail (N-S) in Pisgah Forest, NC on Thursday, October 11. I have 2 friends joining me and we'll stay at Davidson River Campground the night before and the night after. It's a 34 mile day and the shuttle is a pain in the rear -we'll probably take between 10-12 hours to finish which (FWIW) is not record pace (it's been done sub 7 hrs) - anyone that wants to tag along is welcome (10K?) We're drinking beer (and will have a nice campsite at Davidson River Campground) when we finish, b.t.w.

10-K
09-25-2012, 19:40
I'm going to be hiking Hot Springs to Erwin about that time if all goes well otherwise I'd be on it.

Thanks for the invite!

Papa D
09-25-2012, 19:50
I'm going to be hiking Hot Springs to Erwin about that time if all goes well otherwise I'd be on it.

Thanks for the invite!

Man - - you know Hot Springs to Erwin like an old hat - think about coming to hang with us - - my friend Sean (52 year old runner, climber and attorney from Spartenburg, SC) is going along with my friend Lauren (22 year old cell phone tower safety inspector and tower climber) are going - - it'll be pretty fun.

Theosus
09-25-2012, 20:06
Walked a little piece of it in August, along black balsam. Love the area. Probably going back in November... If our meetup group doesn't come up with anything better to do.

Papa D
09-25-2012, 20:20
Walked a little piece of it in August, along black balsam. Love the area. Probably going back in November... If our meetup group doesn't come up with anything better to do.

Black Balsam area is pretty - nice views - November should be great - probably pretty cold - last time I was there in November (last year or year before - time goes fast), there was snow on the ground already. If you go in November, take warm weather gear. We're going to start at 6am with Camel Backs loaded with water, GU, snacks, a headlamp, Aqua Mira, and rain-jackets - that's it - - the plan is to haul asse.

Drybones
09-25-2012, 20:33
Does anyone know how the water sources are on the Art Loeb? A few of us from the B'ham area plan to hike it on 10/19, 2 or 3 days depending on the group, most likely 3. If anyone wants to join us your most welcome. Papa D...have a great hike, or run, as the case may be.

Papa D
09-25-2012, 20:48
Does anyone know how the water sources are on the Art Loeb? A few of us from the B'ham area plan to hike it on 10/19, 2 or 3 days depending on the group, most likely 3. If anyone wants to join us your most welcome. Papa D...have a great hike, or run, as the case may be.

I don't know specifically but I have always known the spring that is about 100 yards south of Shining Rock Gap to run - it's the start of the Pigeon River (I think) - you could always walk down a bit there. We will probably stash a gallon of water when we shuttle at the Blue Ridge Parkway but there is almost alway water south of there at Deep Gap Shelter. When you get to the forest service road at Gloucester Gap, if you turn east and walk down that road about 1/10 mile, there is a virtual waterfall that is piped under the road and is always running. There is good water again at Butter Gap and again several times south of there - - most sources flowing to the Davisson River (where we will have a cold beer well stashed) This will be my second time doing the whole trail in a day - I'm not sure if it will be a hike or a run - probably something in the middle - a fast walk up the hills, a run on the few flats and a trot down the hills would be accurate enough.

sdkess
10-18-2012, 13:38
How was the trail? I am planning to go up to the Shining Rock Wilderness this weekend and next weekend to check it out and do some scouting. I read a report that camping has been disallowed in Shining Rock and the Graveyard Fields area due to a high frequency of bear encounters. Daytime stuff is still allowed. Luckily we are only planning on hiking for the day. For now... My ultimate plan is to do the whole Art Loeb Trail from South to North in 3 days with some friends. Doing it in a day is a bit too much for us. :)