PDA

View Full Version : new water filter:

MedicineMan
05-09-2005, 05:32
http://uvaquastar.com/product_info.php/products_id/28

hmmmmm.....i just hate anything requiring batteries (well mostly) BUT notice the total weight!
this unit has promise for AT hikers......do reference their spec sheet for viral,bacterial,ameboid coverage

2 batteries will treat 70 liters (18.5gallon), batteries online for approx $1.5

from the site:
Weight
Empty (control head, UV-C tube, battery cap attached): 2 ounces (56 grams)
Loaded (as shipped, with batteries and bottle attached): 8.5 ounces (240 grams) Spare Batteries (per pair): 1.1 ounce (31 grams)
Polycarbonate 1L Bottle: 4.75 ounces (136 grams)

treat time=1min/liter warm 2min/liter cold

dougmeredith
05-09-2005, 08:24
It looks like it isn't actually a filter. It seems to use UV to disinfect the water. Interesting.

Doug

plodder
05-09-2005, 20:24
They are pushing a gadget called a Steri-Pen around here. Portable version of municipal water treatment, UV blah blah... Would be fun to know if it is functional, and practical. Was talking to a guy who was, "going to get one." Found out he has three or four filters, and likes Iodine tabs. I wonder if he plans to filter and then zap...

Stoker53
05-16-2005, 14:06
UV light is approved by the FDA for water purification...but $95.00 is pretty steep.

neo
05-16-2005, 23:10
this here is what i use and love it:cool: neo

neo
05-16-2005, 23:15
http://www.ula-equipment.com/amigo.html
this here is what i use:cool: neo

Panzer1
05-16-2005, 23:22
How do you replace those CR-123 batteries. I have never seen them on the trail. And they cost $5 each. You may need a mail drop for the batteries or carry several of them with you. They are lithium so they should work in the winter.

Panzer

MedicineMan
05-17-2005, 02:06
will of course do a review here if any are interested.
My first impression is blah blah blah blah blah...but then I thought of the kayak and using on paddle camps, then I looked again at the weight. It may have merit on the trail. I've got a multiday coming up first of June and will hump it along.
I do plan on crash testing it, e.g. filling it full of water and then droping it onto some rocks from chest height, you know it would happen in the real world so through the paces it will go.
I'll even introduce some fecal material, zap it, and then send a sample to the lab for a coliform test.
I am not concerned about the batteries if the advertisement is correct...that is a lot of water it can zap.
I did talk a while with the comp. rep. and she said a solar powered version is due sometime-again nice for paddle campers or maybe even backpackers with the thin film solar panels on top of their packs.....I will give it a fair shake but it will be hard to defeat aqua-mira.
MM