PDA

View Full Version : cleaning sleeping bag

fadeaway
09-26-2012, 10:34
During the truhike is it possible to have sleeping bag cleaned? If so what options are available?

swamp dawg
09-26-2012, 10:46
I HAD TO HAVE A DOWN BAG CLEANED AND DRIED OUT IN FRANKLIN A FEW YEARS BACK. THE CLEANERS TOOK TWO DAYS TO GET BACK TO ME SO BE PREPARED TO WAIT. IN 2102 I USED A COMMERCIAL WASHER IN VA., ALONG WITH A DOWN WASH I GOT AT THE OUTFITTERS, TO CLEAN AND DRY OUT MY BAG. I DID NOT HAVE ANY TENNIS BALLS TO PUT INTO THE DRYER TO FLUFF UP THE DOWN SO I USED MY CROCS. THE DRYING TIME, USE A MED. SETTING, WAS FAIRLY LONG AND I USED A BUNCH OF QUARTERS BUT IT WORKED. swamp dawg

leaftye
09-26-2012, 10:51
You might try wiping down the interior with rubbing alcohol occasionally to reduce the amount of oils that seeps into the down, as well as reducing funk.

Red Hat
09-26-2012, 11:05
I did what Swamp Dawg did with my Western Mountaineering down bag, used a commercial washer and down wash to wash, bought some tennis balls at the dollar store and tossed them in to dry. Came out fine...

Red Hat
09-26-2012, 11:06
I also washed my WM down bag in a commercial washer with down wash. Spent about 3 bucks on tennis balls as I remember to put in the dryer. (left them in the laundry for the next hiker)

swjohnsey
09-26-2012, 12:04
Overkill. Put the down bag in a washing machine with powdered detergent. Dry it in the dryer. Don't dryclean down bags.

Sugarfoot
09-26-2012, 12:25
There's a very nice video about washing down bags on the Western Mountaineering website. I found it helpful.

Newb
09-26-2012, 13:19
you're supposed to clean your bag?

handlebar
09-26-2012, 15:22
you're supposed to clean your bag? If it's down, washing properly with a mild soap like Downwash, not detergent, in a commercial front loader on delicate setting then drying in a commercial dryer on lowest setting with tennis balls will improve the loft and keep you warmer. As a side benefit, much of the stink will be gone.

swjohnsey
09-26-2012, 15:23
Downwash is detergent.

yellowsirocco
09-26-2012, 15:26
It takes a while. You want do this on a zero day or extremely nearo day

swjohnsey
09-26-2012, 15:34
Yep. I varries by bag, too. I carry a pretty light bag (Western Mounteering Highlight). Washes pretty easy and dries pretty fast. I ended up washin' it a couple of times. Just finished washin' it after my trip, one of the few pieces of gear that look and feel good as new after the trip.

leaftye
09-26-2012, 16:37
Downwash is detergent.

Is it powdered? My down detergent is liquid.

swjohnsey
09-26-2012, 17:10
Most everything you see to wash with except for Ivory Flakes is detergent, whether liquid or powder. In the places on the trail you are like to have an opportunity to wash your bag your choices of stuff to wash with will be extremely limited. I have a feeling that Western Mountaineering is just tryin' to sell their "stuff".

Llama Legs
09-26-2012, 17:17
Yep. I varries by bag, too. I carry a pretty light bag (Western Mounteering Highlight). Washes pretty easy and dries pretty fast. I ended up washin' it a couple of times. Just finished washin' it after my trip, one of the few pieces of gear that look and feel good as new after the trip.

good to hear, I use a WM highlite as well. My home brew dry clean is to spray a tiny bit of Febreze on a washcloth and throw it in the dryer with all my down stuff. Run it on delicate (low low heat) for about 20 minutes. Until they need a real wash, it keeps them fresh. Of course it probably attracts bears :-?

Don H
09-26-2012, 19:06
I believe that washing a down bag, even with using down wash reduces the effectiveness of the down.

Do yourself a favor and buy a silk liner. Just throw it in the wash with your clothes and you'll never need to wash your sleeping bag.

leaftye
09-26-2012, 20:36
Most everything you see to wash with except for Ivory Flakes is detergent, whether liquid or powder. In the places on the trail you are like to have an opportunity to wash your bag your choices of stuff to wash with will be extremely limited. I have a feeling that Western Mountaineering is just tryin' to sell their "stuff".

That's quite a leap.

In any case, down detergent costs $10 in stores. Even if you use it once and throw the rest away, that's still not much money.

atraildreamer
09-27-2012, 13:52
If it's down, washing properly with a mild soap like Downwash, not detergent, in a commercial front loader on delicate setting then drying in a commercial dryer on lowest setting with tennis balls will improve the loft and keep you warmer. As a side benefit, much of the stink will be gone.

Ditto on NOT using detergent. You may wash out the oil that naturally occurs on the down. This kills the loft and ruins the bag. If you can't get a product specifically designed for cleaning down, then try to find Ivory Flakes. It is a mild, pure soap product that is excellent for cleaning down-filled products.

As handlebar suggests, better to go with the larger commercial washers and dryers as they have the capacity to handle a wet down-filled sleeping bag (you won't believe how heavy the bag will feel, even after the rinse cycle! :eek: ) a lot better than the machines used in the home. Too small a washer and/or dryer can cause damage to the inner baffles that prevent the down from shifting and causing cold spots in the bag.

On a lighter note: After washing and drying it, I had my Gerry Mountain down bag (I guess that dates me! :D) spread out on, and pretty much covering, one of those 8" x 3" sorting tables at the local laundromat . A family (mom, dad, 2 kids) were sitting there watching me as I proceeded to take the huge bag and stuff it into the small stuff-sack that came with it. After I finished packing it, I picked up the now small bag and walked out the door past them. All four of them had wide-eyes and unbelieving expressions on their faces wondering how I pulled off the trick of getting that big bag into that small sack! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: