Neels Gap, Ga.
(30 miles) 950

Fontana Dam, N.C.
(160 miles) n/a

Harpers Ferry, W.Va.
(1,000 miles) 9

Katahdin, Maine
(northern end) -

the springer number is calcuated by taking the neels gap number and assuming a 15% drop out rate...85% of 1,118 is a calculated number to get back to the 950 reported by neels gap.

the neels gap number is also an educated guess. a/o 5/8 870 hikers had signed the register so the number they report to the atc is also an educated guess of register signers plus hikers estimated to have not signed in when they arrived.

Kerosene
05-09-2005, 12:10
Let's just put RF tags on each thru-hikers backpack and then we could keep real close tabs on them all the way to Katahdin! :banana (Actually, it's not so far-fetched according to the headline I saw over the weekend...ugh!)

Moon Monster
05-10-2005, 11:19
Let's just put RF tags on each thru-hikers backpack and then we could keep real close tabs on them all the way to Katahdin! :banana (Actually, it's not so far-fetched according to the headline I saw over the weekend...ugh!)

Carrying the RFID tags on the trail will happen whether you like it or not in 2-3 years when our new drivers' licenses have them or some equivalent technology embedded. The REAL ID Act just passed the House and is expected to easily pass the Senate. It's a no brainer that the no brainer will sign it into law:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c109:3:./temp/~c109yhis98:e46432:

My comment on Neels Gap is that I've wittnessed many spring breakers and other section hikers (perhaps as many as actual thrus) sign in as thrus by confusion or indifference. I'd actually say ATC should reduce the number reported from the Neels book by a bit.

Nightwalker
05-14-2005, 22:43
My comment on Neels Gap is that I've wittnessed many spring breakers and other section hikers (perhaps as many as actual thrus) sign in as thrus by confusion or indifference. I'd actually say ATC should reduce the number reported from the Neels book by a bit.
And then there are the thrus who were tired and forgot to sign. Like me, and certainly others.